Author Topic: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (The End Again: post-roulette Train)  (Read 81621 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (semifinal first impression 3/3)
« Reply #1155 on: September 22, 2018, 03:47:58 PM »
well then that seals it, me & luke is #2  :lol and i suspect this one is about the Luoto/TAC match but again I don't actually know either album there so who knows

Offline LordCost

Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (semifinal first impression 3/3)
« Reply #1156 on: September 23, 2018, 03:43:51 AM »
I still think #1 is about my match.
Guns should not be the one who fuses two different styles and it has not a lot going on to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (semifinal first impression 2/3)
« Reply #1157 on: September 23, 2018, 06:15:56 AM »
But the drama is all part of the fun.

Mwuahahahahaha.

Damn right.  :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1158 on: September 23, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »
By the way, here are some fun (if you're as geeky as me) stats from rounds 1-5.

(click to enlarge - the forum automatically squashes it a bit)

Round 3 was the best, while round 4 was the weakest.
LordCost was the least consistent, with a standard deviation of 0.96.
Form changed a lot over the five rounds. Based just on the last two or three rounds only, TAC was joint 1st, which is how he qualified despite being dead last after round 2.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1159 on: September 23, 2018, 09:21:41 AM »
I've never obtained the same score twice. I hope for an unlikely 9 to continue the trend.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1160 on: September 23, 2018, 07:01:54 PM »
I like the chart! :tup

Not sure about the snippets. If I'm the #3 one, I just want to say that it DOES have staying power. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1161 on: September 24, 2018, 09:08:24 AM »
I'll start posting semi final results from tomorrow and should be able to do one a day, so be finished by Thursday night. Thanks for being patient with the slightly slower pace this round - it's not easy to listen to my own music when on holiday with the little one. Getting home tomorrow so pace should return to normal!

In the meantime, I am rather enjoying these semi finals. I'm thinking that for the three losers I'll also run a concurrent 4th place match on the same basis as the final (for any of the three of you who want to take part, but no worries if you don't), as I'm really interested to see what people send. Remember the rule for the final:

• To make the final more of a challenge, and a bit of fun, the two finalists will submit 2 albums each, which will need to be very different in style and tone. As well as the two ratings out of 10, an additional score out of 5 will be awarded based on how different the two albums feel to me, for a maximum total score of 25.
  • (EDIT: After the first round, I decided to accept 11 people to round two instead of 8. Therefore 6 will be in the semi final and 3 in the final!)

So with that in mind, all 6 of you should start thinking about what to send in the final to be ready for later this week.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1162 on: September 24, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
already have them picked out so  :corn
with how long you made me wait last time you better post my results first this time  :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1163 on: September 24, 2018, 09:37:15 AM »
Who me? :angel:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (semi final results, 1 of 3)
« Reply #1164 on: September 25, 2018, 12:26:43 PM »
Here we are, as promised.

Semi final results, 1 of 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luke vs Parama
First impression: Both these albums are pretty strong. In both cases, I wasn't entirely convinced at the start, but once they got going they were pretty great for the most part - not amazing and wholly consistent, but solid. This is going to be difficult to decide which one to eliminate.

Final opinions:

Luke: Earthside – A Dream in Static (2015)
These guys are very impressive and sound extremely accomplished for a new band (particularly considering the strength and stature of the vocalists they worked with). I can only assume they were already fairly established before this particular project. Anyway it's great stuff. I don't consider it an instrumental album at all as half the songs have vocals - other instrumental bands have done similar and it can work well (Olafur Arnalds’ For Now I Am Winter and Long Distance Calling’s TRIPS come to mind). Musically I probably find this stronger than either of those, it's top notch stuff, and the songs are varied, well written and well performed. Where it's not as strong as those other albums, though, is that as an album it doesn't feel particularly coherent to me. The use of different singers contributes heavily to that (I find that vocals play a big part in music's identity), but also the style is quite different in each track. So each song has its own identify but it doesn't feel like the album has one. So yeah, individually the songs are pretty much all awesome and the instrumentals are solid, but I think they'd really benefit from working with the same vocalist(s) across the songs and crafting more of an album.
Score: 8.0

Parama: Dreamgrave – Presentiment (2014)
You described this in the thread as proggy melodic death metal, and while there are for sure clear death metal influences (particularly in the harsh vocals), I'd say this is very much a prog metal album. The blend of influences sort of reminds me of Epica at times, although with a melodic and harmonic approach that I find more appealing. The start of the album isn't all that exciting, but it's OK. However, from halfway through Momento Mori, it suddenly gets really great and stays that way for most of the rest of the album. There's nice variety, with hints of Opeth at times and echoes of Anathema in the glorious final track, but in general the album has a fairly unique feel. There are other moments that are merely decent, but a lot of the album is really good. It's surprisingly fun in the proggier moments, really heavy at times, at gorgeously atmospheric at others. For a debut album, it's excellent and shows a ton of promise.

The verdict: There’s so little in this, I’ve really struggled to decide, and annoyed that I chose this pairing to focus on first. I considered whether to take someone through based on who I’m more interested in having in the final, but I can’t decide that way either because I’m really interested in what both of you have to send me. So I gave both albums a further listen and forced myself to decide. And the very slight edge goes to…
Winner: Parama. Congrats on scraping through to the final this time! ;)

Luke, what a brilliant comeback, to go from very nearly getting eliminated in round 1, to topping the table at the end of the group stage and then only missing out on the final by the very narrowest of margins. I’ve loved the variety of stuff you’ve sent me, including styles that nobody else seems to have even considered - I really feel that there’s a great overlap in our tastes. Lots of very likely purchases, particularly the three 8.5s but probably also The King Blues which is a really enjoyable album. I hope you’ll still participate in the 4th-place match!

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:32:09 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1165 on: September 25, 2018, 01:46:11 PM »
w h e w  :lol

Not that I'd really complain if I lost to Earthside but yeah I'll try to send my albums for the last round soon, I have one picked out for sure but deciding between a few on the other one

I'm tempted to go with the super risky choice of my current AOTY too but, uuuhh that's a risk no longer worth taking

Also I'm glad I'm not the only one who hears anathema in that last track

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1166 on: September 25, 2018, 02:02:43 PM »
Oh boy!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1167 on: September 25, 2018, 02:30:29 PM »
Damn son!

I wouldn't want to lose to anyone else. Can't believe I came so close but blew it by such a close margin. I totally agree that we have a massive overlap in tastes and some of the stuff I sent you would've gotten me booted from almost any other roulette.

I'll definitely take part in the 4th place play off, mainly to send you something that will make you regret placing Parama above me  :rollin

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1168 on: September 25, 2018, 02:31:31 PM »
okay actually sent just now if I think too hard about it im gonna overthink it and screw up, I'm sure  :lol

I'm gonna get a list of like 10 or so albums I felt were too risky to ever consider sending in the context of the roulette but still wanna share anyways too, probably tonight when I get home or something

@Luke hard to say you blew it when we basically tied  :lol but tbh if I had been up against any other album this round I don't think I'd have been half as worried, even if I should've been :P and I'm looking to knock ariich's socks right off in this final round with two awesome but risky picks  :corn
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 02:41:51 PM by Parama »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1169 on: September 25, 2018, 06:26:57 PM »
The finals are TWO albums each??

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1170 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:04 PM »
yep, ariich has said as much several times now  :P
if you're out of ammo just let luoto take your spot, no worries :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1171 on: September 25, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
yep, ariich has said as much several times now  :P
if you're out of ammo just let luoto take your spot, no worries :)

Got plenty, bro.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1172 on: September 25, 2018, 06:45:16 PM »
Dick jokes over albums. 

ROOOOOAAARRRRR!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1173 on: September 25, 2018, 06:49:33 PM »
well, can't wait to beat you again then  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1174 on: September 25, 2018, 07:04:02 PM »
Dude, what's with that?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1175 on: September 25, 2018, 07:21:16 PM »
i gotta get my cocky arrogant posts out of the way so i can go back to self-deprecating once the final round starts

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1176 on: September 26, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »
By the way, just to make sure it's clear, the 4th place match will have the same rules as the final, so two albums with points awarded for how different they are to each other!

Next results will be up soon, just finishing another listen and doing the write ups.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: September 26, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
guy eating popcorn roadrunner records

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1178 on: September 26, 2018, 01:30:07 PM »
By the way, just to make sure it's clear, the 4th place match will have the same rules as the final, so two albums with points awarded for how different they are to each other!

Oh boy. Well, I just sent my next two albums. Not sure if it'll be for 4th or 1st. Sent something very old and something very new.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1179 on: September 26, 2018, 01:38:53 PM »
I could have saved Cardiacs for the final and take more points for sure for the diversity of the two albums. My next two albums will be at least rock music. I don't have classical music to send or something unclassifiable like Mr Bungle.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich’s new album roulette, v. totally mad (semi final results, 2 of 3)
« Reply #1180 on: September 26, 2018, 01:50:57 PM »
Semi final results, 2 of 3
Semi final 1 here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=52779.msg2476370#msg2476370

Luoto vs TAC
First impression: Like match #1, one of these is somewhat riskier than the other, based on my tastes. They both sound pretty solid, but neither wowed me on first listen. One has a nice fusion of two different styles that worked surprisingly well, and was pretty immediately enjoyable but I'm not too sure about its staying power. The other had quite a lot going on so I think I'll need some more listens to get my head round it.

Final opinions:

Luoto: Fireproven – Omnipresence (2013)
Another prog metal debut! An EP though this time, and a pretty short one at that and by far the shortest of the roulette (although I note that they do now also have a full-length out). To be honest, I wasn’t really sure about this on first listen. Although it’s short, musically it’s a lot to take in. Some of it is really heavy and intense (particularly with his very aggressive sounding harsh vocals), and the melodies in the clean sections didn’t strike me as especially engaging on first listen.  However, you’ve again found something that really grows on me. All three songs have some good hooks once they’ve settled in, and there’s a lot of cool ideas and exciting gear shifts. It’s not perfect, but it’s exciting and dynamic, and especially impressive for a debut.

TAC: Tribulation – Down Below (2018)
This is pretty unusual and enjoyable, but it was a pretty risky choice to be honest. It’s a blend of styles that basically sounds like if Motorhead had made black metal. I’m not really much of a Motorhead fan (though they were decent enough) and I seem to find black metal fairly hit and miss, though Puppies did well this roulette with Enslaved. But for whatever reason, it ends up working pretty well for me. The more rock’n’roll songs are a lot of fun and don’t jarr with the black metal vocals too much, and the darker tunes are pretty good, though not amazing. Actually kinda reminds me of Kvelertak (who get described as “black’n’roll”), in the way it blends melodic rock/metal music with harsh vocals that don’t seem to fit but end up creating an entertaining mix. I wouldn’t say I love it though. Same as Kvelertak, as enjoyable as it was on first listen, the novelty wore off a bit by the third and it’s not something I see myself listening to all that often.
Score: 7.5

The verdict: Still a pretty close match up, but a clearer winner this time. After my first listen, I did actually think I may prefer the Tribulation album. It was more immediately enjoyable and the Fireproven just didn’t quite grab me. But I knew the latter needed more listens, and it grew on me a fair bit while the former didn’t. So there we have it.
Winner: Luoto. Congrats on making the final!

Tim, arguably an even more epic comeback than Luke’s, to go from dead last after round 2 and joint last after rounds 3 and 4 to qualifying for the semis was testament to how much good stuff you were sending me. The Euphoreon was the big highlight - one of my favourites from the entire roulette, and a definite purchase for sure. The Kaelling and Hyperomm albums were great too and are on the “maybe buy” list, and everything else was solid. A part of me would have loved to bring you through to the final, but alas it was not meant to be. I hope you’ll take part in the 4th place match!

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:39:41 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1181 on: September 26, 2018, 01:58:54 PM »
All good. I knew I was dead when I checked out the Fireproven. The Tribulation is my AOTY so far, but I may retire it from roulettes because frankly, I think I'm the only one that likes it. :lol I spun it on the way to New Hampshire last weekend and I still really enjoy it.

I already sent my albums for The Loser Round! ;D

Gonna take pride in the fact that while I may not win much, I am always the last standing fogey!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1182 on: September 26, 2018, 02:02:47 PM »
Hey, I did like it! Just not as much as the Fireproven in the end. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1183 on: September 26, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
50% of this roulette's content is basically ariich having to constantly reassure everyone that he still likes albums with a 7.5 score :lol

I've ran out of popcorn today, stop trying to kill me with suspense. Also I'm going to think about and possibly send my entry for the finals like TAC did regardless of which place I will be playing for, it won't affect my decision anyway.

Sidenote: I've been obsessed with Deftones again lately like I am almost every few months and was considering them. Which shows how very bad I still am at judging your tastes cause you rated almost all their albums and pretty much everything is around the 3.0 range :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1184 on: September 26, 2018, 02:11:46 PM »
50% of this roulette's content is basically ariich having to constantly reassure everyone that he still likes albums with a 7.5 score :lol
There are lots of sensitive souls, bless them. :lol But yeah scores have to below a 6.0 really for me to say that I don't like something, which hasn't happened in either of my album roulettes.

I've ran out of popcorn today, stop trying to kill me with suspense. Also I'm going to think about and possibly send my entry for the finals like TAC did regardless of which place I will be playing for, it won't affect my decision anyway.
:tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1185 on: September 26, 2018, 02:12:07 PM »
There was like, 1 or 2 albums in the entire roulette that scored below 7.5 after the prelim round so it definitely makes 7.5 not feel particularly good :P
I'm still rocking my perfect average of 8/10 but hopefully my last two submissions raise that  :P
Both get 7.5/10 and I get last place corn corn

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1186 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:12 PM »
Nice! I think the stuff on Omnipresence is a tad more original sounding than on the debut full-length, which somewhat inspired the submission. You shouldn't be disappointed with Future Diary either though.

I pretty much have one of the albums locked down now that I actually made the finals! The other half is a little trickier to decide on.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1187 on: September 26, 2018, 02:13:35 PM »
it definitely makes 7.5 not feel particularly good :P

Eh..you get used to it.. :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1188 on: September 26, 2018, 02:18:12 PM »
What are yalls album lengths for the last round anyways  :corn
one of mine is just over 40, the other just under 60
Together I call them "100 minutes of ariich's hell"

Hangmeme better include the losers' bracket albums too also

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1189 on: September 26, 2018, 02:28:25 PM »
There was like, 1 or 2 albums in the entire roulette that scored below 7.5 after the prelim round so it definitely makes 7.5 not feel particularly good :P
Fair point. There were 7 in the first round obviously, but yeah after that there were only 2. Hey, it's all your faults for sending me so much good music!

Hangmeme better include the losers' bracket albums too also
Assuming everyone takes part then I'll do all 12 albums together.

I be am boner inducing.