Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 100468 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - I'm true this time
« Reply #1330 on: September 08, 2018, 01:11:06 PM »
I thought Tim was unbreakable like Paul and myself in regards to the growls.

But then Tim was out like Kramer.

And then there was two!

You are master of your domain, and Paul is lord of the manor.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: September 08, 2018, 01:18:39 PM »
I'm so fucking excited to have Tim in my next roulette if he has the time, of course. I've been also opening up to growls for the last two years.

And obviously not only Tim but some of you guys too, we'll see when the time comes. But Tim won the previous installment so he has to be there.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1332 on: September 08, 2018, 01:25:59 PM »
I thought Tim was unbreakable like Paul and myself in regards to the growls.

But then Tim was out like Kramer.

And then there was two!

You are master of your domain, and Paul is lord of the manor.

As long as a Glamour magazine isn’t involved

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1333 on: September 08, 2018, 01:58:09 PM »
Sent a song six rounds late.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1334 on: September 08, 2018, 05:38:43 PM »
I'm determined to get you to like (or at least tolerate) harsh vocals more... If TAC can do it, so can you  :biggrin:
Seriously, you guys have done a great job in getting TAC to tolerate and sometimes appreciate harsh vocals. He's now sending me melodic death metal in my own roulette, which seriously surprised me. :tup It's one of the beauties of roulettes, introducing people to stuff outside their comfort zone that they still like or even love.

Yeah, so for my last roulette, I made it so that anyone who participated had to be people that I did not know, or have had none, if very little, contact with. I was hoping to get a young crowd. Really for the expressed reason to hear new stuff outside of my comfort zone. To really expose me to new STYLES. Not just another metal band I may have missed along the way. I got a great group of guys to join and I had an awesome time.

But then as appreciation, I went and joined their roulettes that followed. That was really eye opening. It set me on quite a search for new bands. I've made a number of purchases and my Spotify album count is bulging. But I never sent anything that I didn't believe in, even though quite a bit of it was relatively new to me.

Other than growls, in preparing for Chad's roulette, I have actually opened up a bit to female vocals. Something that I'm really not into. At all.

And Ariich, that Euphoreon album is a Top 5 Album for me this year. It's amazing.

I'm so fucking excited to have Tim in my next roulette if he has the time, of course. I've been also opening up to growls for the last two years.

And obviously not only Tim but some of you guys too, we'll see when the time comes. But Tim won the previous installment so he has to be there.

Oh, I'll be there, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1335 on: September 08, 2018, 07:19:01 PM »
Gee, I thought Lost Domain would've done better. That song is  :metal :metal

Sent for Round 6. There are harsh vocals in this one.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1336 on: September 08, 2018, 07:46:04 PM »
Lets have Bolsters send a ballad. Or do they get to pick between an instrumental or a ballad? Either way....
Ballad sent. :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: September 09, 2018, 04:13:34 AM »
Pleastantly surprised with the ranking of the Soilwork.  I thought even though there was no 'growls' per say, I thought the verses might put you off Chad.  I reckon a couple of years ago the vocals there would have.  Don't write them off, if you like them, there is a lot more to the band I reckon you'd dig.  With that ranking, I could have even sent a more adventerous tune from them.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1338 on: September 09, 2018, 04:47:26 AM »
For just this one hit, all the misses are worth it. :heart That's one of my favourite things in roulettes, to finally be able to find that one click with someone I don't match with. Their newest album "The Rabbit Hole" is more consistent than the first for sure, but that song I initially sent (from the debut album "Duende") is still my favourite by them and the one that got me into them.

I will try to find something good to send today, rather sooner than later.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: September 09, 2018, 06:04:09 AM »
Pleastantly surprised with the ranking of the Soilwork.  I thought even though there was no 'growls' per say, I thought the verses might put you off Chad.  I reckon a couple of years ago the vocals there would have.  Don't write them off, if you like them, there is a lot more to the band I reckon you'd dig.  With that ranking, I could have even sent a more adventerous tune from them.

PM or email me some recommendations mate.

For just this one hit, all the misses are worth it. :heart That's one of my favourite things in roulettes, to finally be able to find that one click with someone I don't match with. Their newest album "The Rabbit Hole" is more consistent than the first for sure, but that song I initially sent (from the debut album "Duende") is still my favourite by them and the one that got me into them.

I will try to find something good to send today, rather sooner than later.

Agreed (and I love the attitude - I felt the same way with Lethean's roulette... tried exposing him to stuff he wouldn't normally go out and check out on his own, and wasn't offended at all that they didn't usually click. But I always sent stuff that I thought/hoped he would find value in).  I was a little leery of receiving submissions too far outside my 'box', but it hasn't been onerous at all.  Of all the songs ranked 7 or lower, only The Mars Volta one was something I couldn't handle.  They all offered something that I liked, and none of them grossed me out.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1340 on: September 09, 2018, 06:21:18 AM »
I think it's a shame with The Mars Volta, as that is my favourite band ever and I wanted to send a very nice power ballad-ish tune that people have said reminded them of Zeppelin (the song "The Widow"). Cassandra Gemini could be just as good as The Widow in my eyes, but even I didn't like that song the first few times I heard it, it's sooo much to take in. I think that song is at least worth checking out if you find the time, it's definitely TMV's 'radio hit', but one of my favourite songs by them for sure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUBQLnEGHNk#t=28
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1341 on: September 09, 2018, 08:16:26 PM »
Yeah bro, there are songs on Quadrophenia that are better than what I sent you, I just really wanted to share that one. And yeah, it'd be fucking criminal for you not to sit down with that album, some headphones, a drink, and the lyrics. It's definitely Pete's magnum opus, and that's saying a lot for a man who has put out some of the best music of a generation.

You already got my next submission.

Love Reign O-er Me is must-listening.  I would go so far as to say you can't say "I like" or "I don't like" The Who without having heard that song.  It's everything The Who is about, lyrically, musically, vocally... in my opinion. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1342 on: September 09, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
That album is part of a 3 album run that challenges for the best run ever. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1343 on: September 09, 2018, 08:19:36 PM »
That's a great song, and I'm not into The Who in the least.

I loved the Redemption cover. Ray Alder and John Bush in the same song!!! :omg: :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1344 on: September 09, 2018, 08:20:23 PM »
That album is part of a 3 album run that challenges for the best run ever.

I couldn't even begin to tell you what the other two are.

Who's Next? Is that one?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1345 on: September 09, 2018, 08:22:21 PM »
You need to be bitch slapped.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - lunchtime Sat (couple o' hrs)
« Reply #1346 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:47 PM »
Stadler: Rainbow - Fire Dance
Cha-ching.  You finally found the very narrow sweet spot of classic rock/metal that still provides a tremendous amount of appeal for me.  It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why that is with this tune (a young JLT in his prime maybe?), but it is what it is.  Another up-tempo tune (which, by-and-large, usually appeals to me over slower paced music - and DEFINITELY more than the plodding/brooding style of music; hint to other players if they’re even reading other writeups).  The hillbilly sounding guitar solo was fun as shit. Overall, I was very impressed - as I should be.  Though, I woulda swore I was listening to Deep Purple with all those keyboard runs.  Not sure if this is indicative of the entire album or this era of Rainbow, or just this song.
Ranking: 2

The last two JLT albums - Straight Between The Eyes and Bent Out Of Shape - have the two 'radio hits' (Street of Dreams and Stone Cold) but the deeper tracks are much more in the vein of "Fire Dance":   Drinking With The Devil, Make Your Move, Fool For The Night (all from BOOS) and Tearin' Out My Heart, Power, and Eyes Of Fire (SBTE).  It's not for everyone, but for a "commercial album", Blackmore and David Rosenthal (the keyboard player, and now the "musical director" for the Billy Joel band) take it to the next level.  By the way, Rosenthal did keyboard and synth programming on "A Change Of Seasons" by DT. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1347 on: September 09, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »

Love Reign O-er Me is must-listening.  I would go so far as to say you can't say "I like" or "I don't like" The Who without having heard that song.  It's everything The Who is about, lyrically, musically, vocally... in my opinion. 

While it's a tremendous song, it explodes with proper context of the album. To separate it from the previous twenty songs of Jimmy's disillusionment and despair, of struggling to find his place within his family and within the world, is to basically steal all proper meaning from the track. He's not celebrating love in the song, he's begging for God's salvation, for His love. (a great deal of Pete's songs are about that, it's a very common theme of his. Let My Love Open the Door and Who Are You are the two biggest examples)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1348 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:42 PM »

Seriously, I'm not a WHO person, and could not cite their discography. Even with my immense general music knowledge... ;D

Tearin' Out My Heart,

I totally hear this in ITPOE.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1349 on: September 09, 2018, 08:30:00 PM »

While it's a tremendous song, it explodes with proper context of the album. To separate it from the previous twenty songs of Jimmy's disillusionment and despair, of struggling to find his place within his family and within the world, is to basically steal all proper meaning from the track. He's not celebrating love in the song, he's begging for God's salvation, for His love. (a great deal of Pete's songs are about that, it's a very common theme of his. Let My Love Open the Door and Who Are You are the two biggest examples)

;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: September 09, 2018, 08:32:52 PM »
Tommy
Who's Next
Quadrophenia

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: September 10, 2018, 05:19:08 AM »
Who are we talking about?

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1352 on: September 10, 2018, 05:23:40 AM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1354 on: September 10, 2018, 05:48:54 AM »
Can't explain

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:28 AM »

Seriously, I'm not a WHO person, and could not cite their discography. Even with my immense general music knowledge... ;D

I never was, then I got a copy of Tommy for $0.50 from a street vendor in Philly, then I won an auction on eBay for all their studio albums except their debut (I honestly bought it figuring I could sell the "big three" and double my money; I did) and I had a similar experience to listening to Jimi Hendrix.  The Who are SO influential, and I had no idea.   Plus, for a band known for their wild and crazy stage antics, their records are surprisingly well-played and well-recorded.  They SOUND so good. 

I'm of the opinion now that there are a handful of records that you have to hear to get the historical perspective, and "Tommy" is one of them.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1356 on: September 10, 2018, 07:08:42 AM »
Ron & Fez ruined Tommy for me  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: September 10, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
Listening starts tonight. Waiting on Stads and Elate... I mean Elite.

Offline Lowdz

Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 5 - R.E.S.U.L.T.S - lunchtime Sat (couple o' hrs)
« Reply #1358 on: September 10, 2018, 10:48:26 AM »
Stadler: Rainbow - Fire Dance
Cha-ching.  You finally found the very narrow sweet spot of classic rock/metal that still provides a tremendous amount of appeal for me.  It’s hard to pinpoint exactly why that is with this tune (a young JLT in his prime maybe?), but it is what it is.  Another up-tempo tune (which, by-and-large, usually appeals to me over slower paced music - and DEFINITELY more than the plodding/brooding style of music; hint to other players if they’re even reading other writeups).  The hillbilly sounding guitar solo was fun as shit. Overall, I was very impressed - as I should be.  Though, I woulda swore I was listening to Deep Purple with all those keyboard runs.  Not sure if this is indicative of the entire album or this era of Rainbow, or just this song.
Ranking: 2

The last two JLT albums - Straight Between The Eyes and Bent Out Of Shape - have the two 'radio hits' (Street of Dreams and Stone Cold) but the deeper tracks are much more in the vein of "Fire Dance":   Drinking With The Devil, Make Your Move, Fool For The Night (all from BOOS) and Tearin' Out My Heart, Power, and Eyes Of Fire (SBTE).  It's not for everyone, but for a "commercial album", Blackmore and David Rosenthal (the keyboard player, and now the "musical director" for the Billy Joel band) take it to the next level.  By the way, Rosenthal did keyboard and synth programming on "A Change Of Seasons" by DT.

Rosenthal was also in Red Dawn who produced one fantastic AOR album, and he arranged the Yngwie Concerto Suite. Talented bloke.

But all Rainbow is great.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: September 10, 2018, 12:15:06 PM »
I think I have that Red Dawn album... either courtesy of you or Brent from a Top 50 list no doubt.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1360 on: September 10, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »

Wait, what? Did I not send in? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: September 10, 2018, 01:34:00 PM »

You old bastard.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »

Not that I've seen.

Rich is in now... though I'm giving him the option of re-submitting because it's a band I've heard before, and was not a fan of them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »
Gimme an hour.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: September 11, 2018, 12:39:40 PM »

??: /