Author Topic: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: That's all she wrote folks - another happy ending  (Read 98136 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 6 - guessing games
« Reply #1400 on: September 12, 2018, 08:52:43 AM »
I am afraid my next ocular test for driving license renewal will go like:

"A .. K, Y ... Ok, Kattelox sent Q. Is W King?"

"Nurse!"

:rollin

I've been posting at places like this for, what, 15 years or so (maybe more) and  I'm STILL not used to the real-world translation.   "So, I'm talking to my friend Ka-, uh, um, uh... yeah.   Kattleox, whatever, and  he went to this Prog festival...." or "I don't live in Canada, but my friend Jingle.boy does and he says....".

Yeah, right. 

"Dear Mike/Firewings/Kattelox/whoever the hell you are..."  :lol :lol :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1401 on: September 12, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Twisted Sister LTR RTL-Definitelty JJ.

That's a great song.  GREAT song.  If  you take out the two "hits" (with their jokey videos) those first three TS records are some stellar metal.

Oh hell f’n yes!!! Heck, leave the hits in. I have no problem with them. I saw them on the Stay Hingry tour. (opening for Dio)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1402 on: September 12, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »
Twisted Sister LTR RTL-Definitelty JJ.

That's a great song.  GREAT song.  If  you take out the two "hits" (with their jokey videos) those first three TS records are some stellar metal.

Oh hell f’n yes!!! Heck, leave the hits in. I have no problem with them. I saw them on the Stay Hingry tour. (opening for Dio)

I was there, too.   New Haven Coliseum.  There was a fight on the floor, chairs flying.  But I thought Twisted Sister killed it.  Very good live band (even though sometimes I have my doubts about the guitar players). 

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: September 12, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »
The third one looks like Fullforce, but I sent them to Chad in a previous roulette, not that that matters but they only have two albums.

I thought I recognized the name... now I know why!

Not sure what song it is but if it's from the first album its going to score well, which is a tad annoying.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1404 on: September 12, 2018, 03:12:55 PM »
The third one looks like Fullforce, but I sent them to Chad in a previous roulette, not that that matters but they only have two albums.

Not sure what song it is but if it's from the first album its going to score well, which is a tad annoying.

It's not.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: September 12, 2018, 06:55:56 PM »

It's not.

All good then.  I didn't ike the second album at all.  First was stellar.  Surprised you didn't end up checking it out Chad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1406 on: September 12, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
Been ages since I heard Damien.  That's a great album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: September 12, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
Been ages since I heard Damien.  That's a great album.

The chorus is monstrous.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:04 AM »
If I make this any clearer, you'll be able to outright read it.

??: Almah / Breathe
??: Iced Earth / Damien
??: Fullforce /
??: /
jjrocks: Twisted Sister / Ride to Live, Live to Ride
??: Lee Abraham / Harbour Lights
TAC: Dyssidia / An Absolute Severance
King: No More Pain / Bleed
??: Temperance / Daruma's Eyes (Pt 1)
??: Lizzy Borden / Lovin You Is Murder
??: Westworld /
??: Closure in Moscow /
??: Andromeda / Crescendo of Thoughts
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:20:54 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1409 on: September 13, 2018, 04:50:38 AM »
Almah - Breathe
Lee Abraham? Harbour Lights?
Temperance - Daruma's Eyes (Pt. 1)
Westworld?
Andromeda - Crescendo of Thoughts

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: September 13, 2018, 05:04:27 AM »
All correct.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: September 13, 2018, 05:05:54 AM »
Chad, you forgot Bleed - No More Pain that Dave got on the last page.

I got nothing.

From memory I think I sent Almah to Chad last time which got a lukewarm response.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1412 on: September 13, 2018, 05:13:05 AM »
No More Pain is supposed to be the artist name as well I think.

I know Chad got Temperance last time (from Ruslan) but not sure if he would send the same thing twice or not. Pretty good band, I only had them on my "maybe" list because I knew they'd been sent before.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1413 on: September 13, 2018, 06:31:34 AM »
I considered Temperance and then remembered I already used them last time, so no, it's not mine this time.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: September 13, 2018, 07:20:30 AM »

So it is... I got some Kade-level fails here   :biggrin:

I'm being fairly lenient (as you can clearly tell) on bands being submitted that were used prior.  I know that might not seem fair to some, but since I'm doing this roulette for shits and giggles (not necessarily for musical exploration), I never intended to be too strict

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1415 on: September 13, 2018, 07:29:08 AM »

So it is... I got some Kade-level fails here   :biggrin:

I'm being fairly lenient (as you can clearly tell) on bands being submitted that were used prior.  I know that might not seem fair to some, but since I'm doing this roulette for shits and giggles (not necessarily for musical exploration), I never intended to be too strict

Who is this Chad.  I don't even know.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1416 on: September 13, 2018, 08:08:25 AM »
Yeah, for my v2 I banned every single thing I received from the v1, but it was completely unnecessary. Going forward I will definitely be more lenient, and only ban the absolute best stuff from previous roulettes where artists I didn't look into further are concerned.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: September 13, 2018, 11:11:48 AM »
Yeah, for my v2 I banned every single thing I received from the v1, but it was completely unnecessary. Going forward I will definitely be more lenient, and only ban the absolute best stuff from previous roulettes where artists I didn't look into further are concerned.

That's probably what I'm also going to do. I remember banning stuff like Orphaned Land which I didn't even like back then; yesterday I've heard a song from their new album on WPAPU which lead me to listen to the whole album today and it's actually fantastic.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1418 on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:20 AM »
As I'm slowly discovering the roulette process, I think that's an excellent choice. I mean, acts can change personnel, style and sound through their discographies. Let's say I'm not familiar with King Crimson and I got a Belew era song in my R1, should I refuse a Lake era tune in my R2? Even if my goal is strictly discovering new music, am I not missing hard on something "new" anyway?

Yup, I sent Temperance *wink*

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1419 on: September 13, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
The answer is yes, you should refuse all King Crimson eras. This is about finding good music.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1420 on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »
*Lols*

As I'm slowly discovering the roulette process, I think that's an excellent choice. I mean, acts can change personnel, style and sound through their discographies. Let's say I'm not familiar with King Crimson and I got a Belew era song in my R1, should I refuse a Lake era tune in my R2? Even if my goal is strictly discovering new music, am I not missing hard on something "new" anyway?

Yup, I sent Temperance *wink*

"Shave and a haircut ..."

The answer is yes, you should refuse all King Crimson eras. This is about finding good music.

"... TWO BITS!"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: September 13, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: September 13, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: September 13, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1424 on: September 13, 2018, 01:28:57 PM »
Haha. Fair enough guys.

But I really have to object with Morgan Freeman interrupting the flow of hotness.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: September 13, 2018, 01:38:27 PM »
Haha. Fair enough guys.

But I really have to object with Morgan Freeman interrupting the flow of hotness.

Just imagine Morgan Freeman narrating the flow of hotness.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #1426 on: September 13, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
Fapulous.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1427 on: September 13, 2018, 02:02:49 PM »

That's probably what I'm also going to do. I remember banning stuff like Orphaned Land which I didn't even like back then; yesterday I've heard a song from their new album on WPAPU which lead me to listen to the whole album today and it's actually fantastic.

This is kinda my thought process.  Anything that rated high enough for me to remember how awesome it was and/or go out and check out multiple albums and/or buy them... those aren't cool to re-use.  I think I played that Fullforce album a couple times, but don't remember much about it; don't remember if I checked out Almah or Temperance at all (last.fm says I tried an album, or part of an album, for each - but that shows you how much of an impact they left... I didn't remember!), despite liking the tracks that were submitted. Two people tried to lay Sonata Arctica on me this roulette, which I politely banned - Don't Say A Word was just so damned good, and I checked out a lot of other stuff too.  Anything that was middle of the road, or just perhaps a bad song to try with me, that's fair game to re-use - Sabbath, Mercenary and Anathema come to mind as other reused bands so far this time.  I think most people wouldn't re-send a band that they themselves already submitted, but if someone else wanted to take a shot, I'm not gonna say no if it's a re-load from a different album.

tl;dr my discretion to accept or ban re-used bands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1428 on: September 13, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »
Haha. Fair enough guys.

:lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1429 on: September 13, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
Haha. Fair enough guys.

Scrolled back and did it, totally worked.  :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: September 13, 2018, 05:52:23 PM »
 :lol

Giggity.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: September 14, 2018, 05:51:18 AM »
Mid-round impressions.  I think I've gotten about 4-5 listens in so far.

FINALLY!

Um… no

This was pleasant as fuck

WWHHYYYYY!?!?!?!?

Fun, enjoyable, but I would rarely proactively reach for this kind of music

A serviceable ballad

5lbs of 'meh' in a 10lb bucket

Vocally, it was pretty much as I expected... and I was disappoint

Vocally, it also was pretty much exactly as I expected... which was meh

Really not sure what I just listened to

Again with the <some musical element>?

Not quite as good as you introducing me to <some other band>, but almost

Fantastic musically…opening was awesomesauce

Solid… in the Frontiers way

That's some damn fine <genre>

I got a super busy weekend ahead of me, but with stuff where I can have my headphones in and hammer out a few more listens.  Resultz (barring some kind of catastrophe) will be up by end of the weekend.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: jingle.boy's 4th roulette: Rd 6 - Whose Line is it Anyway?
« Reply #1432 on: September 14, 2018, 06:13:15 AM »
You hate my song  :'(

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1433 on: September 14, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »
A serviceable ballad

:hat

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: September 14, 2018, 06:21:26 AM »
A serviceable ballad

:hat