Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 313580 times)

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2380 on: September 19, 2017, 07:17:20 AM »

Yeah I'm surprised you're the only one suggesting it was a cost cutting measure. I haven't been keeping up on the topics recently but running a website and employing two different moderators isn't free.

Whatever he was paying them was too much; the inconsistency of their moderating was frankly hilarious.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2381 on: September 19, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »

Yeah I'm surprised you're the only one suggesting it was a cost cutting measure. I haven't been keeping up on the topics recently but running a website and employing two different moderators isn't free.

Whatever he was paying them was too much; the inconsistency of their moderating was frankly hilarious.

Yes, because running a site is SO easy... ::)
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2382 on: September 19, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »
Damnit! Every time I see SoA, I read it as Sons of Anarchy.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2383 on: September 19, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
Damnit! Every time I see SoA, I read it as Sons of Anarchy.

You're not the only one.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #2384 on: September 19, 2017, 07:37:10 AM »
Not saying it's easy, just that a bit of consistency would have been nice. Never knew where you stood with the post-Wey mods.

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2385 on: September 19, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »
Not saying it's easy, just that a bit of consistency would have been nice. Never knew where you stood with the post-Wey mods.

True. But it wasn't that hard to remain unbanned, despite some apparent inconsistency.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2386 on: September 19, 2017, 07:44:32 AM »
I don't know if MP and DS realize that their core audience is going to be DT fans....
*snip*

First off, great post noxon. I just wanted to grab this first statement though because it kinda took me off guard. How could MP and DS not get this? Two guys who were in the biggest prog-metal band ever getting back together to make - according to their social media activity - music that will position them as the "kings of prog metal". It seems overly obviously the core of their base would be DT fans...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2387 on: September 19, 2017, 08:10:48 AM »
Release of the year, no way! To be that, you have to release something that really stands out because it is very original, well-written...which the 2 SoA tracks released so far are not, imo.

B.Lee

Well, it may be my album of the year simply by default.  This year has been absolutely abysmal in terms of new releases for me.  Literally nothing else I am remotely interested in. 

Actually, hold that thought just a minute...

Release of the year, no way! To be that, you have to release something that really stands out because it is very original, well-written...which the 2 SoA tracks released so far are not, imo.

B.Lee

Completely agree with you. The VUUR debut album is being released the same day and I'm much more excited about it than SOA. They (Vuur) promised a prog metal album and the two songs they've released are exactly that: prog metal, and, imo, are much better than Sings of the Time and Coming Home.
Who's in that band? Well, Anneke Van Giersbergen and no other big names, but still they managed to create a fresh new sound/approach for prog metal. You don't need an all-star lineup, just good writers and a clear direction for your music.

Hm...just checked out the two songs on YouTube.  That's not bad.  I may have to pick that one up. 

Okay, so I guess I will buy two albums this year.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2388 on: September 19, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »

OK, I get what you mean. Well, I actually left after the split with DT and Weymolith left. Up to then, I had been a regular there and found the community really cool. Then, it went downhill, not just because of the mods, because of the forumers as well. So I decided to stay on DTF I had joined some time before and have stayed there until now.

B.Lee

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2389 on: September 19, 2017, 08:20:13 AM »

B.Lee

Well, it may be my album of the year simply by default.  This year has been absolutely abysmal in terms of new releases for me.  Literally nothing else I am remotely interested in. 

B.Lee

Completely agree with you. The VUUR debut album is being released the same day and I'm much more excited about it than SOA. They (Vuur) promised a prog metal album and the two songs they've released are exactly that: prog metal, and, imo, are much better than Sings of the Time and Coming Home.
Who's in that band? Well, Anneke Van Giersbergen and no other big names, but still they managed to create a fresh new sound/approach for prog metal. You don't need an all-star lineup, just good writers and a clear direction for your music.

Hm...just checked out the two songs on YouTube.  That's not bad.  I may have to pick that one up. 

Okay, so I guess I will buy two albums this year.  Thanks for the recommendation.  :biggrin:
I have no idea what you like but would recommend giving Need - Hegaiamas a few listens. It's prog metal that hasn't reinvented the wheel but for some reason still feels fresh and a bit different to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2390 on: September 19, 2017, 08:21:01 AM »

B.Lee

B.Lee

Glad to help :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2391 on: September 19, 2017, 08:27:38 AM »

B.Lee

B.Lee

Not sure if you are into them or not but for me by far Living Colour's Shade is amazing! Not prog but great solid rock. If you want to do a random sampling I suggest "Always Wrong" and "Two Sides" Also Come On.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2392 on: September 19, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Threshold also released a very solid concept album a few weeks ago  :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2393 on: September 19, 2017, 08:41:33 AM »
So I listened to that Derek podcast (or at least, the first 20 minutes)... Nothing about this sounds like something any of them should dedicate to as their 'full time gig.'

Derek seems to have aspirations of playing arenas and selling buku numbers of CDs. Thinks these guys, who are already well known in the music industry, are somehow going to take off just based on their name and one CD. They've apparently set aside all of 2018 for a tour. Okay? And? Mike set aside (x) years for Winery Dogs/Flying Colors, and then was onto something else the next year. Billy Sheehan is 64 years old for crying out loud, does he really think a band with a 64 year old bassist is going to attract a younger crowd (something any band needs if they have dreams of growing)? What are they going to do when the CD moves a few thousand copies and they play clubs that are 'beneath' their expectations? Mike's actions come off looking so defensive that I can't imagine these aren't concerns in the back of his mind. He loves playing with different bands, but without having a solid, super popular home base (like Dream Theater) it seems like it's become a job more than ever, since he *has* to keep trying to make something that knocks it out of the park (both in sales and fan reception).

Add all this stupid drama to it and it's looking like one giant clusterfuck, silly publicity to cushion mediocre hard rock.

Yeah - I just find his whole approach to be off putting.  Maybe I'm just not part of the target audience. As a DT fan, you'd think I would be. But maybe they're trying to capture people who miss the days of over the top rock and roll "personalities" but also want great musicianship? Is there a huge group of people like that? Besides Rush, DT is the biggest band I listen to regularly and consider myself a fan of. I like how "normal" and down to earth Rush, DT, etc are (or at least seem to be). They may talk about being proud of or excited about an upcoming album but always in a way that seems humble.  The lack of personality Derek talks about is to me just real life personality.  I don't need (or want) this forced in your face nonsense.  Maybe there are those who do?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2394 on: September 19, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »

B.Lee

Maybe Mike or Derek could learn a thing or two from them.

Totally didn't realize this albums release was the same day.  I pre-ordered a signed copy of the VUUR album not only because the singles were solid, but because I thought they had a good potential being it was mostly the backing band for The Gentle Storm which I really liked.  I guess the "kings of prog" have quite the competition on their first day of sales.  I have not placed a pre-order for SOA.  I'll likely get the album after release and I hear some more.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2395 on: September 19, 2017, 08:53:55 AM »
Just took another glance at the release date calendar for 2017 to confirm that, indeed, I have not bought a single new release in 2017.  Wow.  (But I did miss Morsefest 2015 and need to pick that up, so...)  But coincidentally, the three albums I may end up buying all have the same upcoming release date:  Sons of Apollo (would probably be an automatic buy unless it was clearly bad, but I like what I've heard so far), Vuur (hadn't heard of them until literally about half an hour ago, but I like what I heard), and Trivium (kind of on the fence, but will probably get it).  There is a real dearth of good music this year.  :(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: September 19, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »
Just took another glance at the release date calendar for 2017 to confirm that, indeed, I have not bought a single new release in 2017.  Wow.  (But I did miss Morsefest 2015 and need to pick that up, so...)  But coincidentally, the three albums I may end up buying all have the same upcoming release date:  Sons of Apollo (would probably be an automatic buy unless it was clearly bad, but I like what I've heard so far), Vuur (hadn't heard of them until literally about half an hour ago, but I like what I heard), and Trivium (kind of on the fence, but will probably get it).  There is a real dearth of good music this year.  :(

No Anathema?
No Primus?
No SNOW Live? (I guess that's not a "new" album per se)
Black Country Communion?
GWAR?
Steven Wilson to the bone?

Those are all either purchased or pre-ordered now for my 2017 list. There may be some from earlier in the year I'm forgetting.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2397 on: September 19, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »
Voyager - Ghost Mile is also a great album.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:44 AM »

No Anathema?
No Primus?
No SNOW Live? (I guess that's not a "new" album per se)
Black Country Communion?
GWAR?
Steven Wilson to the bone?

Those are all either purchased or pre-ordered now for my 2017 list. There may be some from earlier in the year I'm forgetting.

Just to add a few good ones

Pain of Salvation
Beatrix Players
Ayreon
Kaipa
Myrkur

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2399 on: September 19, 2017, 09:06:05 AM »
Steven Wilson. Steven Wilson, folks.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: September 19, 2017, 09:09:27 AM »
Steven Wilson. Steven Wilson, folks.

Good one indeed.... too long until the show though

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2401 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:01 AM »
You guys are really making my point about it being a SLOW year for good music.  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2402 on: September 19, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
Voyager's Ghost Mile should be mandatory for any prog metal fan, that's the best album released this year so far imo

But it is a very slow year indeed!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline toky_world

• MP.COM Refugee
« Reply #2403 on: September 19, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
I'm surprised MP hasn't thrown in a marriage analogy about all the forum fans he's just cut off.

well the forum was 18 years old after all.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2404 on: September 19, 2017, 09:12:22 AM »
I just listened to the DS podcast. Yeah, he's buttering it up sooooo much, even the radio host was like "hmm ... yeah, sounds great."
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2405 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:48 AM »
I have no issues with musicians buttering up their latest releases.  I do wonder if they truly believe it, but it doesn't even matter.  It's their latest, they are going to be proud of it and are going to do what they can to promote it.  It would be foolish to say anything else before the release.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: September 19, 2017, 09:17:10 AM »
Voyager's Ghost Mile should be mandatory for any prog metal fan, that's the best album released this year so far imo

But it is a very slow year indeed!

Slow...... not for Big Big Train at least who have released 2 albums 😁

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2407 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
I have no issues with musicians buttering up their latest releases.  I do wonder if they truly believe it, but it doesn't even matter.  It's their latest, they are going to be proud of it and are going to do what they can to promote it.  It would be foolish to say anything else before the release.

Normally I'd completely agree with you, but the way Derek's doing it is just taking it way too far to an extreme in my opinion.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2408 on: September 19, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »
Leprous - Malina is a must listen as well. I get that it might not be heavy enough for some compared to their previous material, but it's a great album.

I don't know how well known Need is so I'll leave this here - give it a listen or two, and ignore the video if you don't like that style.

https://youtu.be/NEt3O3vMogI

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2409 on: September 19, 2017, 09:35:38 AM »
Leprous - Malina is a must listen as well. I get that it might not be heavy enough for some compared to their previous material, but it's a great album.

I don't know how well known Need is so I'll leave this here - give it a listen or two, and ignore the video if you don't like that style.

Never heard of them before, but that was really good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2410 on: September 19, 2017, 09:39:38 AM »
I was looking at a tweet MP

How are we not even pictured on this front page?? Show them that Sons Of Apollo is the most anticipated release... https://fb.me/6iVZBzjD6

It's kind of sad. I think they think they are way bigger than they are. It's like a Spinal Tap moment almost, between Derek's bravado, MP being oblivious and the rest of the guys who although talented are being touted as a "super group"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2411 on: September 19, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »

How are we not even pictured on this front page?? Show them that Sons Of Apollo is the most anticipated release... https://fb.me/6iVZBzjD6

It's kind of sad. I think they think they are way bigger than they are. It's like a Spinal Tap moment almost, between Derek's bravado, MP being oblivious and the rest of the guys who although talented are being touted as a "super group"

I saw that, then voted for GWAR.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2412 on: September 19, 2017, 09:54:16 AM »

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2413 on: September 19, 2017, 09:57:15 AM »

Never heard of them before, but that was really good.

Glad you liked it!  I think the whole album is just as good.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #2414 on: September 19, 2017, 10:00:30 AM »

Heck, I am anticipating Jeff Scott Soto's Retribution album in November much more than SoA.