Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 307842 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2975 on: September 27, 2017, 09:27:25 AM »
At this point I don't want MP to join as a full time member. I do think it would be cool to see him play a one off show or something. Similar to what Spock's Beard did for Snow. Have two massive drum kits and play SFAM.

That would be really cool! Continuing with the SB analogy, they also released a big epic (Falling for Forever) with all the current and past members of the band as part of their 20th anniversary. I would love to see DT do that with the former members, but they'd have to get through a lot of stuff between them first.

It would be cool to see all members past and present on stage for a one off, ONLY if Derek wears this on his head the entire show.

Darn image didn't work.

It was one of those cheese head hats.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2976 on: September 27, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
absolutely. The last three DT releases with MP had 'moments' but all in all were pretty bland. the first three with MM had a much better direction for my ears....

A Dramatic Turn of Events is one of their best albums for Herrick. I'd say top 5.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2977 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
absolutely. The last three DT releases with MP had 'moments' but all in all were pretty bland. the first three with MM had a much better direction for my ears....

A Dramatic Turn of Events is one of their best albums for Herrick. I'd say top 5.

Yeah, it's my #3 overall (behind Six Degrees and SFAM), so it goes without saying that I love it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2978 on: September 27, 2017, 11:22:26 AM »
I find an MP reunion unlikely less because of his behavior and more because he would not be able to return to his former role as band leader. Same reason Roger Waters never reunited with Floyd beyond a few one offs. MP and JLB are adults, they can work out whatever it is that needs to be worked out. There have been worse band relationships that were eventually ironed out.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2979 on: September 27, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »

Yeah, it's my #3 overall (behind Six Degrees and SFAM), so it goes without saying that I love it.

For me that would be the Self-Titled. It's my favorite since probably Train of Thought.

As for Sons of Apollo, I think that the two songs that released were good overall, but not really good enough for me to go and get the album. And I don't think that it's because they weren't prog enough. If we go with a Dream Theater comparison, both Moment of Betrayal and The Enemy Inside had me way more excited for their respective albums than the two Sons of Apollo singles. And both those songs are pretty much straigthforward metal tracks.

I also saw it mentionned a few times, but I don't think that having non-prog musician was actually necessarily a bad idea. It could have brought some interesting influences and make the band sound different than others in the genre. Unfortunately it doesn't seems to be the case so far though.

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #2980 on: September 27, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
Are "Coming Home" and "Signs of the Time" the only 2 songs to be released before the album drops in October?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2981 on: September 27, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
Are "Coming Home" and "Signs of the Time" the only 2 songs to be released before the album drops in October?

There COULD be more, but I don't think I've seen any confirmation that there will definitely be more.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2982 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:43 PM »
They should do a lyric video of the opening 10 minutes  track a week or so before the release, just to boost interest up.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2983 on: September 27, 2017, 01:10:57 PM »
1. Images and Words
2. SFAM
3. Octavarium
4. Six Degrees
5. Awake