Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's "Prog Metal" supergroup: Sons of Apollo  (Read 308918 times)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy's prog metal supergroup: Sons of Apollo
« Reply #2205 on: September 17, 2017, 11:16:52 PM »
I’ve been banned from that kingdom

Why where you banned while I wasn't. Maybe the admins were still handing out bans when MP kicked everyone out?

Offline PetFish

« Reply #2206 on: September 17, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
I really feel bad for the other guys he's taking down with him.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2207 on: September 17, 2017, 11:18:50 PM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2208 on: September 17, 2017, 11:22:59 PM »
It'll be open eventually.

No, it will never be open again.

Winner! Close this thread and archive it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2209 on: September 17, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »
Simply a bad person. He killed a global community, one he once fostered, for his own vanity. On a day when people were posting remembrances on the anniversary of a fallen member of that community.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2210 on: September 17, 2017, 11:41:02 PM »
Damn. I spent so much time at that place. I signed up when I was in jr high.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2211 on: September 18, 2017, 12:08:09 AM »
I never joined MP's forum, but don't forum admins/mods usually give a heads up at least a few days before a permanent shutdown? Couldn't he at least have given the members some time to say goodbye?
MP a few months ago: nobody pay attention to what Blabbermouth says, they're all trolls over there
MP now: Blabbermouth likes this song, so it's your loss if you don't like it

:rollin

Christ.
He loves positive attention, just like a certain president. :P
Is it just me or is the guitar barely audible when he's not playing a lead of some kind? I can seem him playing heavy riffs, but all I hear is bass.
I first listened to the song on my phone speakers and could barely make out the guitar over the bass rumble. I know nothing sounds amazing on phone speakers, but I remember when I took a music studio course and we had a professional audio engineer as a guest speaker, he said your mix should be balanced enough so that you can make out all the main elements even on your grandma's old radio.

:clap:

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2212 on: September 18, 2017, 12:29:04 AM »
What a hasty decision by MP...

Had he just turn a blind eye and move on, things would have been much better for him. This is surely going to bite him in the ass in the long run!

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #2213 on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:31 AM »

Had he just turn a blind eye and move on, things would have been much better for him. This is surely going to bite him in the ass in the long run!

I feel like I've read this post a thousand times before.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2214 on: September 18, 2017, 12:40:02 AM »

Yeah, I don't think it's a good move on his part, like at all! In the long run, I think it will be very damageable for him. I may be wrong, but, we'll see. Together with the tweets, the closure of MP.com may trigger off bad publicity for SoA.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2215 on: September 18, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »
Back in the DT days I was actively lurking that forum, and I was checking it from time to time... pity it had to come down to this, I'm sorry for those who were active there.

In the era of social media, having a long running forum feels like a nice thing, for example when I was younger I basically cyber-lived on the Blind Guardian forum and that got me many friends, both italian and foreign, that I still have to this day, it was a pity to see everyone migrate to Facebook, but it would have been even worse to see the forum suddenly closed after criticisms of a new Blind Guardian album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline efx

« Reply #2216 on: September 18, 2017, 01:36:38 AM »
Having been part of the MP forum since the month it launched 98/99 it's somewhat bittersweet to see this happen. But part of me am not surprised both in the sense of how MP acts and also how the forum slowed down recently. I mean, the petrucci forums have been down for a while as well now due to the same (latter) reason.

But him and Derek and the uninspired have killed any interest in this sad to say.

I won't see them live either, but maybe I'll catch the reunion tour in 3 years :P

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2217 on: September 18, 2017, 02:41:08 AM »
Oh, wow.

But it's probably all for the fans.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2218 on: September 18, 2017, 02:47:05 AM »
Having been part of the MP forum since the month it launched 98/99 it's somewhat bittersweet to see this happen. But part of me am not surprised both in the sense of how MP acts and also how the forum slowed down recently. I mean, the petrucci forums have been down for a while as well now due to the same (latter) reason.

But him and Derek and the uninspired have killed any interest in this sad to say.

I won't see them live either, but maybe I'll catch the reunion tour in 3 years :P

so, without JLB I guess...

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline efx

« Reply #2219 on: September 18, 2017, 03:21:48 AM »

so, without JLB I guess...

B.Lee

Nah, I was talking about the SoA reunion tour.

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #2220 on: September 18, 2017, 03:36:53 AM »
That place was my online home for so long. I really liked what it became recently in the past couple years. Users like stadler, Bails, Dave_Manchester, and others have had quite the impact on me. I don't think MP owes me anything, but I still feel like I really lost something. I know we have this place, but I actually enjoyed having the small number of users we had over there. There was a level of intimacy that doesn't come easy to larger groups.

All good things must end, I guess.

Damn.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: September 18, 2017, 04:42:38 AM »
That place was my online home for so long. I really liked what it became recently in the past couple years. Users like stadler, Bails, Dave_Manchester, and others have had quite the impact on me. I don't think MP owes me anything, but I still feel like I really lost something. I know we have this place, but I actually enjoyed having the small number of users we had over there. There was a level of intimacy that doesn't come easy to larger groups.

All good things must end, I guess.

Damn.

Yeah. I agree with most of this.

But times change and many do see forums as less relevant now. The decision to close it doesn't surprise me in the slightest and, ultimately, it's MP's ball and he can take it home if he wants to. Sad to see it go after 13 years of visiting there daily but... well... *shrug*.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2222 on: September 18, 2017, 05:02:58 AM »
Wow, what a stupid reason to take down an entire forum. Everything about this entire situation screams childish, to put it mildly. Hopefully, many of the members will find a new home on DTF.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: September 18, 2017, 05:13:54 AM »

::)

Seriously?

:clap:

Winner! Close this thread and archive it.

:tup

I've never visited the forum so this doesn't affect me at all, but fuck him for doing this, shows his true colours once again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2224 on: September 18, 2017, 05:15:18 AM »
How many people were actually regulars at MP.com? I would guess it didn't exceed the double digits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2225 on: September 18, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »

Seriously?

The whole reason why DTF exists at all is that this is actually not the first MP has closed a forum that were criticising his music...

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #2226 on: September 18, 2017, 05:23:18 AM »
I was a regular, somewhat.
I'll admit, I was there to interact with the other forumers. This blows!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2227 on: September 18, 2017, 05:41:48 AM »
I was on there (angra1) as a poster since February of 2000 (Rane among others, joined the same month).

It has been shutdown before, but for some reason this feels different.

Will have to give a more detailed commentary in allmediareviews later today.

End of an era I guess. The history still exists at least.

And like some other forums that RIP, there is a FB group for it for those interested.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2228 on: September 18, 2017, 05:45:33 AM »
w

Why where you banned while I wasn't. Maybe the admins were still handing out bans when MP kicked everyone out?

I seriously don’t get why they banned me. If you see my latest post I didn’t insult anyone. Nippet said it was because I broke a rule, but didn’t let know which one, I suspect it was one of those not written rules like talking about DT and as I was “defending” LaBrie and the Astonishing even thou I don’t like that album, well, maybe that was it.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2229 on: September 18, 2017, 05:47:51 AM »
w

I seriously don’t get why they banned me. If you see my latest post I didn’t insult anyone. Nippet said it was because I broke a rule, but didn’t let know which one, I suspect it was one of those not written rules like talking about DT and as I was “defending” LaBrie and the Astonishing even thou I don’t like that album, well, maybe that was it.

I assumed it was the curiously bitchy exchange you and Rafael were enjoying :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2230 on: September 18, 2017, 06:13:27 AM »
w

I assumed it was the curiously bitchy exchange you and Rafael were enjoying :lol

I think I didn’t say anything wrong. Or you think I did?

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2231 on: September 18, 2017, 06:14:55 AM »
Wow, was a member of the MP forum for many years and it was a really great place for most of that time.  Started to go downhill once the whole DT shenanigans went down and Weymolith left.  It was then censored to the point that only one thread discussing DT was allowed and I finally gave up altogether when that thread was closed down and all DT discussion was banned because DT dared to play ACOS when he was planning to do it on his own tour.  Why should I go and learn about MP's new projects and tours on his site when I was banned from discussing my favourite band and the band that most members of his forum actually knew him from.  It was an idiotic move and traffic was always going to drop off because of it.  Glad to see it backfired and he has now shut it altogether, sad to see from a guy who used to respect his fans and take part in the discussions himself.  Now he keeps releasing mediocre stuff, hyping it to high heaven and people understandably react negatively when it is nowhere near as good as he told them it was going to be.  Even the last NMB album, whilst it was very good, it was not even the best Neal Morse album for me and he was trying to put it up there with the greatest albums ever written.

Anyone still wonder why DT don't want him back?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2232 on: September 18, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
I think I registered in 2003 before Train of Thought came out and had been lurking for at least a couple years before I'd say. I was a regular on the DT.net forum before that and kept getting drawn to MP's direct involvement on his site and finally decided to join. 

Almost 14 years, seems crazy to think so much time has passed. I'd like to say that I think MP will reconsider reopening the forum but at this point in time, I doubt it. It has been a fun and rough ride over there. Got banned only twice from what I remember, once for talking about the leaked Octavarium album and another time for accidentally pasting a link that broke rules.

I know a lot of the forumers from there have joined here too and I'm glad this place exists, but if the forum at mp.com is truly done with, then adios amigos.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2233 on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:09 AM »
I was from Scenes from a Memory on until about three years ago when there was some sort of meltdown going on. Been back there only once or twice since, just doesn't feel good over there. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2234 on: September 18, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
I think I registered in 2003 before Train of Thought came out and had been lurking for at least a couple years before I'd say. I was a regular on the DT.net forum before that and kept getting drawn to MP's direct involvement on his site and finally decided to join. 

Almost 14 years, seems crazy to think so much time has passed. I'd like to say that I think MP will reconsider reopening the forum but at this point in time, I doubt it. It has been a fun and rough ride over there. Got banned only twice from what I remember, once for talking about the leaked Octavarium album and another time for accidentally pasting a link that broke rules.

I know a lot of the forumers from there have joined here too and I'm glad this place exists, but if the forum at mp.com is truly done with, then adios amigos.

So, you have 1278 posts on DTF, and if MP.com has been really closed down, you will stop posting on DTF? It's an honest question, nothing provocative at all.

B.Lee

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2235 on: September 18, 2017, 06:32:38 AM »
Haha! Sorry re-reading my last sentence, not sure where I was going with that honestly. Didn't mean to make it sound that way. It was mostly just incoherent ramblings I suppose. Goes without saying I'm not going to stop posting here. In fact, I think, for the past year or so I've been posting here way more often that mp.com.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2236 on: September 18, 2017, 06:32:54 AM »
He means adios to MP.com, I believe.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2237 on: September 18, 2017, 06:39:48 AM »
Haha! Sorry re-reading my last sentence, not sure where I was going with that honestly. Didn't mean to make it sound that way. It was mostly just incoherent ramblings I suppose. Goes without saying I'm not going to stop posting here. In fact, I think, for the past year or so I've been posting here way more often that mp.com.

Ah, OK, I was wondering what you meant. Personally, I said goodbye to MP.com when Weymolith left. Nothing was the same without him and things really began to change, for worse. Glad you're staying with us.

B.Lee

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2238 on: September 18, 2017, 06:41:55 AM »
I would have understood the decision more if the Forum was shut down because of lack of traffic, not worth the maintenance, etc. But if it was ended because MP couldnt take the heat he was getting because of SOA and the stuff that DS was saying and loyal MP fans not liking the music? Then that's a shitty way to go and immature and childish way to close out it down by MP. If he feels his music needs to be targeted to Blabbermoutj posters, then so be it. Kind of sad what mP has turned into this last recent years, specially since he left DT

Been a long time and regular member there (probably since 2002 or so, maybe since 2000). Sad day indeed. Met so many good people along the way.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2239 on: September 18, 2017, 06:42:51 AM »
How many people were actually regulars at MP.com? I would guess it didn't exceed the double digits.

I was a regular there up until the split. Then after the first batch of MPs statements and actions towards DT....specifically when he came out and said he did all he could to get back into the band but they didn't want him back blah blah blah......i PMd Wey or maybe Nippet and asked them to delete my account. Registered here after that and been here ever since.

Really enjoyed that forum up until that point. Bummer to hear that's how it all ended but honestly, is anyone surprised?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind