Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200706 times)

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with trailer!)
« Reply #5741 on: January 12, 2016, 06:08:41 AM »
So I noticed in the trailer that the NOMACS seem to have 3 red "eyes", but on TA site there is one dimmed... I wonder if that means we'll get 3 new clickable links?

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline zmazar

• "Ride the wings of dreams."

If there was a villain who could only be defeated through the sheer awesomeness of music, then rest assured that LTL would be on batman's MP3 utility belt player.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5743 on: January 12, 2016, 06:20:00 AM »
doesn't that say 9.5/10?

Love the last part (via google translate anyway) :-

"Once again leaders. Once again, the absolute gods ..."

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5744 on: January 12, 2016, 06:21:21 AM »
doesn't that say 9.5/10?

Probably there are 3 reviews...
1) 9,5
2) 9
3) NA but sounds good..:)
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di pił

Offline Darkstarshades

« Reply #5745 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:00 AM »
"Ruined my life, 10/10"
Jatruccyundessgini

Offline ericoml

« Reply #5746 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »
There are 3 reviews, one rating 9, the other 9,5 and a third unrated.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5747 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »
"Ruined my life, 10/10"

So are you going to sue DT because you lost your job, wife, and bank account because all you do is listen to the album?

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5748 on: January 12, 2016, 06:24:14 AM »
There are 3 separate reviews in the greek Rockhard article.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #5749 on: January 12, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »
doesn't that say 9.5/10?

Probably there are 3 reviews...
1) 9,5
2) 9
3) NA but sounds good..:)

ah, right, thanks!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5750 on: January 12, 2016, 06:27:37 AM »
Not bothered by no encore.  I mean really, what would it be like to have seen The Wall, and then they come out after it's done and say, "Ok, we're gonna play Welcome to the Machine as an encore and then we can all be on our way".  Yeah, you would have gotten a little more bang for the buck, but it would have been really weird...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5751 on: January 12, 2016, 06:32:06 AM »
Well, from what I've extracted from google translator ( :lol :lol :lol) looks like all the three reviewers are absolutely enthusiastic about "The Astonishing"...

Everything they say is pretty consistent with Noxon's anticipations...

The "Finally Free"-kind'a fans like me should be very satisfied with what they'll listen soon...:)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5752 on: January 12, 2016, 06:32:25 AM »
Interesting... for a much more melodic album, a lot of praise for Mangini's drumming! Also very enthusiastic reviews by people not too impressed with DT recently.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5753 on: January 12, 2016, 06:59:43 AM »
Which is exactly what I've been saying - and trying to convey. My comments are all about managing expectations. Creating hype, yes, but also managing expectations.

Those reviews pretty much mirror what I think about the album. Cool to see Savvas in the game again.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5754 on: January 12, 2016, 07:16:06 AM »
FTFY..

About the video, I don't understand people complaining about the graphics and all the visual part.. Isn't Dream Theater a group of MUSIC?.. Who the f*ck cares about the videos they do?..

Music is the gift they bring..

Music..

the gift they bring..

Hmm...this reminds me of something...

:neverusethis:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5755 on: January 12, 2016, 07:28:44 AM »
About the video, I don't understand people complaining about the graphics and all the visual part.. Isn't Dream Theater a group of MUSIC?.. Who the f*ck cares about the videos they do?..

Music..

Yeah, not quite sure what people are expecting.  It's expensive and time-consuming enough to sit in a studio for a year writing a 2+ hour album.  God forbid DT doesn't release a full HD movie in Dolby 7.1 with Hollywood actors to go with it.  You really have to expect that the artwork (which is fantastic by my standards already) is just there to tell the story and not aimed at winning an Oscar.

If they did that, people would be complaining about the price.

This is a product, if it's low budget then you present what you can and fans will understand, if this trailer was simply the narration over clips of music and a still of the coverart; no one would have said shit or complained, it's the half assing that gets to people, "the graphics are too expensive!" well don't do it then! no one demanded it! but you half ass shit then you prepare for the ridicule and like it. Again; this is a product, not a grant.
It doesn't bother me or affect excitement or my opinion of the album but I find it's poor quality funny and that's okay.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5756 on: January 12, 2016, 07:39:55 AM »
I have found over the years that 99% of pre-release reviews are unabashedly positive, no matter the actual quality of the album.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5757 on: January 12, 2016, 07:41:43 AM »
I have found over the years that 99% of pre-release reviews are unabashedly positive, no matter the actual quality of the album.

Except for the reviews from melodicrock.com. They're known for their harsh judging.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5758 on: January 12, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »

Except for the reviews from melodicrock.com. They're known for their harsh judging.

If it's not formulaic and predictable cookie cutter stuff , it can expect to be dealt with harshly  ;D  They're the only albums that don't get a 90%+
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5759 on: January 12, 2016, 07:45:02 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with the trailer. The animation doesn't bother me. It's well done, in that it conveys that there is a story without giving any of the story away. The animators used what was given them, probably a script of the narration and an outline of the story, along with some of the artwork used on the album and told to animate it. Animation costs a lot of money. I imagine DT and RR have spent more money on this album than anything previously done. This isn't a Disney Pixar movie, people.  :facepalm:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #5760 on: January 12, 2016, 07:49:44 AM »
Yea I can never take the ratings of reviews too seriously, one of my all-time favorite albums (Frances the Mute) got some god awful review scores, what I'm interested in with the reviews is the way they describe certain moments in the album, the weird stuff that is going on here and there, how certain moments compare to other bands etc.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5761 on: January 12, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »

If it's not formulaic and predictable cookie cutter stuff , it can expect to be dealt with harshly  ;D  They're the only albums that don't get a 90%+

Not even an exaggeration. You can predict their album scores within 2 points just by how far it deviates from the Frontiers production line.

We haven't had that many full reviews of TA yet, but there are always reviews from both sides. DT is a band that obviously isn't for everyone, and for a prog rock opera, I'm sure those reviewers will make that known. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5762 on: January 12, 2016, 07:51:41 AM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #5763 on: January 12, 2016, 07:53:56 AM »
When reviews are well written, I generally like to read them not for the score they give an album but more for the reviews description of the songs, the sound, etc... Usually I find that more appealing than an actual score.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #5764 on: January 12, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »

Of course! If you don't write that it's the best thing ever, JR will chew you out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5765 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:09 AM »
I'm sure there's an embargo on poor reviews before the thing is out.

Offline dedSurroun

• Words To Clear Your Mind
  • Walking Out Of The Machinery
« Reply #5766 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:27 AM »
Since almost everyone keep bashing the video I''ll say tha shadow person throwing a hammer(?)  looks pretty cool. And every scene with no human(and especially animal) character looks decent.

That's taken from the classic Apple commercial. Acts and swings and moves just like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8
And now I've only habits left
to break

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5767 on: January 12, 2016, 08:39:41 AM »
I'm sure there's an embargo on poor reviews before the thing is out.
There isn't.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5768 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:46 AM »
forgive me if this has been answered, but for those that have the promo or advanced copies, is there narration on the album or no?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Thematt202

« Reply #5769 on: January 12, 2016, 09:30:30 AM »
forgive me if this has been answered, but for those that have the promo or advanced copies, is there narration on the album or no?

There's no narration, other than the third person type of singing like in Gift of Music.
Shaman take my haaaaand!

Offline TL

« Reply #5770 on: January 12, 2016, 09:36:55 AM »
a TRU metalhead would never admit to liking Dream Theater.

FTFY..

Music..

Yeah, not quite sure what people are expecting.  It's expensive and time-consuming enough to sit in a studio for a year writing a 2+ hour album.  God forbid DT doesn't release a full HD movie in Dolby 7.1 with Hollywood actors to go with it.  You really have to expect that the artwork (which is fantastic by my standards already) is just there to tell the story and not aimed at winning an Oscar.

If they did that, people would be complaining about the price.
While there's something to be said for adjusting expectations for something that's working within limitations, there comes a point where, if you can't do something to a certain standard, maybe you just shouldn't do it. No one is expecting "hollywood actors". Literally no one is saying anything like that. No one is expecting Pixar level presentation here.
There are absolutely ways to put together an interesting visual presentation on a budget. This isn't it.
I'll say it again, they should have gone with something more stylized. You can go a long way on a tight budget with good art direction.

I would be way more excited about this album if I hadn't seen any of the marketing stuff they've released. Everything they've released has tempered my anticipation rather than raising it.

Yes, what matters in the end is the music, and I'll absolutely give the album a fair shake when it comes out.
What I've expressed an opinion so far is the marketing. I think the marketing is bad. Obviously some people disagree, and that's fine. That's why it's an opinion.

Offline TL

« Reply #5771 on: January 12, 2016, 09:37:47 AM »

FTFY..

Music..
You're allowed to be critical of things you like.
In fact, if anything, you should be more critical of things you consider worthwhile.

Offline Laughing_man923

« Reply #5772 on: January 12, 2016, 09:40:48 AM »
I keep reading so many complaints on the band's facebook page about how cheesy and terrible this will be. What is wrong with being cheesy? Personally I dive into cheesy stuff every now and then, but does that really make it a terrible thing? I like where they are going with this, but maybe that's just my inner nerd coming out. Either way everybody has their own opinion so we'll have to see how well this story turns out on the 29th.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5773 on: January 12, 2016, 09:44:35 AM »

I would be way more excited about this album if I hadn't seen any of the marketing stuff they've released. Everything they've released has tempered my anticipation rather than raising it.

Just the opposite for me.

Al this marketing staff has been fun and entertaining during the long wait.
Much better than the usual silences/ rumors/ leaks patterns.

This time I don't need any leak or single...I'm fine with what they have delivered so far, and I'm just looking forward to listening the record in its entirety.

As concerns the quality of the videos, I like all the non-human visuals and I love the NOMACS..
As concerns the animations, it's pretty consistent with what I was expecting...they will "animate" 130 minutes of music during the shows, so it was impossible to produce a "professional cartoon movie"...
The visuals are just a background to the music and the lyrics, and they work for this scope.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:52:30 AM by erciccio »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #5774 on: January 12, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
I keep reading so many complaints on the band's facebook page about how cheesy and terrible this will be. What is wrong with being cheesy? Personally I dive into cheesy stuff every now and then, but does that really make it a terrible thing? I like where they are going with this, but maybe that's just my inner nerd coming out. Either way everybody has their own opinion so we'll have to see how well this story turns out on the 29th.

Just remember that Internet (social sites in primis) are the typical vent for the frustrated.
Most people that write tend to complain, but they are a minority in the global population...
The rest of the population just enjoys what they like and do not waste their time trolling..

This forum is pretty good compared to the rest of the forums scenario...there are a couple of Italian DT "fans" forum where people just complain about everything.

They hate what Portnoy did in the last albums, but the want Portnoy back when you talk about Mangini.
They like the old stuff, but they complain when the new music sounds like the old staff.
They complain if there's no marketing, and they don't like the marketing, whatever marketing you make.

"Never Enough" tells this story quite well...:)

Let's just enjoy the music...and if you don't like it, go and look for something else insted of complaining! That's my attitude..:)

E.g. they are just now complaining that there's no Myung in the album, just based on a google-translated greek review ...OMG...