Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1207330 times)

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with premier of The Gift of Music!)
« Reply #5040 on: January 07, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
+ the streaming of TLG iirc...

That was in a Radio show I think.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #5041 on: January 07, 2016, 02:26:18 PM »
Right now, the 29th feels like an eternity away. And there's still (relatively) a lot to be revealed. The last character, the last map piece, the Places section, the videos, the two red buttons on the NOMAC. I just hoped there'd be something near the beginning of the month to celebrate us reaching release month.
I agree.  With the listening parties some of the stuff could be anticlimactic when released.  They should just released everything now :)

Offline rab7

« Reply #5042 on: January 07, 2016, 02:30:31 PM »

Yup. There was a livestream on the Monday before release, and that show aired Sunday night

Offline Jinx

• The Unicyclist's #1 fan!
  • Shaaaamaan take my haaaannd!!
« Reply #5043 on: January 07, 2016, 02:43:45 PM »
Right now, the 29th feels like an eternity away. And there's still (relatively) a lot to be revealed. The last character, the last map piece, the Places section, the videos, the two red buttons on the NOMAC. I just hoped there'd be something near the beginning of the month to celebrate us reaching release month.

This could probably be my only problem. All we have is 90% of the characters and most of the (semi-obscured) map. It would've been nice to have proper chunks of info to absorb and get to know before diving into the album. If they end up with a huge barrage of backstory, descriptions of places etc  right before release day it would be quite a bit to take in at once.

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5044 on: January 07, 2016, 02:44:55 PM »

Yup. There was a livestream on the Monday before release, and that show aired Sunday night
I thought they played Along for the Ride on the radio show and TLG was later with the video. :dunno:

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5045 on: January 07, 2016, 03:00:22 PM »
The best solution we have maybe is to stop waiting like stupid zombies all this promotion shit, and ignore any DT forum or social network until the 29th of January.
I'm really pissed off with myself refreshing every DT related website just to get a tiny glimpse of what is to come. (which I have already pre ordered and paid 175 fucking euros for this)
Like a drug addict who wants his fix..Enough is enough with this shit
Sorry for my language.
end of rant

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5046 on: January 07, 2016, 03:21:05 PM »
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #5047 on: January 07, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »
Did we lose the suicide emoji, because that's what this thread has become. This thread has died and gone to purgatory.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5048 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
:marriageanalogy:

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5049 on: January 07, 2016, 03:42:28 PM »
The best solution we have maybe is to stop waiting like stupid zombies all this promotion shit, and ignore any DT forum or social network until the 29th of January.
I'm really pissed off with myself refreshing every DT related website just to get a tiny glimpse of what is to come. (which I have already pre ordered and paid 175 fucking euros for this)
Sorry for my language.
end of rant
:rant:

That's ok.  I'm sure we're all feeling that on some level.  We'll get an update and all will be good again.

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5050 on: January 07, 2016, 03:47:34 PM »
Is anybody here who remember what Metallica did for the promotion of St.Anger?
If so, remember the dedicated website with exclusive content and every day updates up until the album release?
That's what DT should do in the next album.
Because the interesting thing is this:
If you choose to IGNORE all the promo and micro teaser stuff (like i said earlier), then the whole promotional moves and schedules are pointless.
But IF you choose to follow all of this like we all do now, then you feeling annoyed if you dont get an update for a day and you end up like a junkie.

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5051 on: January 07, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Sorry for my language.
end of rant

That's ok.  I'm sure we're all feeling that on some level.  We'll get an update and all will be good again.

Our brothers Bosk and Nox
They're all the hope we need
Shining like a beacons in the night
shepherds of all the fans
A reason to believe
A leak is not the gift they brings
The forum stops to listen when they speak!

:metal
"Remember the death is not the end"..."The Spirit Carries On"

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #5052 on: January 07, 2016, 03:54:23 PM »
Is anybody here who remember what Metallica did for the promotion of St.Anger?
If so, remember the dedicated website with exclusive content and every day updates up until the album release?

...but it was for St. Anger.

Updates ultimately don't matter that much considering we already know when to expect to listen to the album. Info before then is really just a bonus.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 05:56:01 PM by Enigmachine »

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5053 on: January 07, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »
Well, think of what we would have gotten so far if this wasn't a concept album, or if it was a concept album but DT didn't chose to immerse us in the story this early on by making that website, by now we would have had nothing but the coverart, track titles and the release date, as usual with every album release wait we've had since as far as I can remember.
The only album cycle I wasn't around for was SFAM cause I found DT a year after it came out but I don't think there was a website with a slow reveal of the characters, story line, etc.
However I am a little ticked but I am as ticked as I am with every album I've waited for since the internet was invented. My dad never knew when there was a new Pink Floyd album available in stores until he actually walked into a store and was "Oh look, a new album from my favorite band! I'll get that and enjoy it tonight!", the shit here is that we know that much in advance about a new album coming out and of course that's dip shit greed from the record companies and mind rape aka marketing but that's the way it goes now and there's no fighting it.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5054 on: January 07, 2016, 03:59:10 PM »
That's just silly Panar.

I'm not losing my mind but if news comes out or samples come out I'll be happy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Awaken

« Reply #5055 on: January 07, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
Sorry for my language.
end of rant

yikes

Offline Panar

• Caught In A Web
« Reply #5056 on: January 07, 2016, 04:10:50 PM »
Well, think of what we would have gotten so far if this wasn't a concept album, or if it was a concept album but DT didn't chose to immerse us in the story this early on by making that website, by now we would have had nothing but the coverart, track titles and the release date, as usual with every album release wait we've had since as far as I can remember.
The only album cycle I wasn't around for was SFAM cause I found DT a year after it came out but I don't think there was a website with a slow reveal of the characters, story line, etc.
However I am a little ticked but I am as ticked as I am with every album I've waited for since the internet was invented. My dad never knew when there was a new Pink Floyd album available in stores until he actually walked into a store and was "Oh look, a new album from my favorite band! I'll get that and enjoy it tonight!", the shit here is that we know that much in advance about a new album coming out and of course that's dip shit greed from the record companies and mind rape aka marketing but that's the way it goes now and there's no fighting it.

My thoughts exactly!

My dad never knew when there was a new Pink Floyd album available in stores until he actually walked into a store and was "Oh look, a new album from my favorite band! I'll get that and enjoy it tonight!

These times were great my friend!

Offline lightbug

« Reply #5057 on: January 07, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
Sorry for my language.
end of rant

:metal :metal :metal

A reason to believe

Offline T-ski

« Reply #5058 on: January 07, 2016, 04:26:30 PM »
R-E-L-A-X.

Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5060 on: January 07, 2016, 04:55:29 PM »
I AM RELAXED!  :metal

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5061 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:49 PM »
 :chill  :hat I'm pretty shure that we'll get something soon! right??????? hahahahaha

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5062 on: January 07, 2016, 05:02:24 PM »
:chill  :hat I'm pretty shure that we'll get something soon! right??????? hahahahaha

Siii amigo, estamos locoooos!

Offline ledlemos08

• Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪
« Reply #5063 on: January 07, 2016, 05:37:08 PM »

A reason to believe

Trapped inside this Octavarium ♪

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #5065 on: January 07, 2016, 06:04:58 PM »
What if the last track Astonishing is a reprise medley of rearranged parts of The Killing Hand, Metropolis, Octavarium, The Count Of Tuscany and Outcry and the album ends with the chord or sound that opens The Descent Of The NOMACS?  :metal
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5066 on: January 07, 2016, 06:06:57 PM »
What if the last track Astonishing is a reprise medley of rearranged parts of The Killing Hand, Metropolis, Octavarium, The Count Of Tuscany and Outcry and the album ends with the chord or sound that opens The Descent Of The NOMACS?  :metal
Except that it won't be, so why even say that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
« Reply #5067 on: January 07, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
Here's how I predict the album starting:

A quiet clock ticking when we hear Nafaryus whispering to his newborn Aryhys; "the story begins where it ends". Then we hear a loud sound of NOMACS flying overhead.
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline ericoml

Offline Pragmaticcircus

« Reply #5069 on: January 07, 2016, 06:10:15 PM »

Because as dedicated DT fans, we have hopes and dreams and are bored to death...
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid

Offline chego_voice

• Jose "Chego" Cabrices
« Reply #5070 on: January 07, 2016, 06:10:57 PM »

Actually i have a hard rock band here in venezuela, and our last album was made in that way, the last note of the album is actually the first one, sounds pretty awesome!

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #5071 on: January 07, 2016, 06:19:47 PM »
First review

https://metalhammer.teamrock.com/reviews/2016-01-07/dream-theater-the-astonishing

So the embargo was lifted

No offense to the reviewer, but man, is that a lazy review. Such few words for the magnitude of the album.

Offline vazquez

• f.k.a. krieger
« Reply #5072 on: January 07, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »
First review
https://metalhammer.teamrock.com/reviews/2016-01-07/dream-theater-the-astonishing

"Stupefyingly complex, cinematic and ambitious almost to the point of lunacy" is everything I could dream of (no pun intended). As they say, the more lunatic, the better. 
"From the last ills no being can save another; therein each man must be his own saviour."
White-Jacket, Herman Melville

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #5073 on: January 07, 2016, 06:24:40 PM »
First review

So the embargo was lifted

No offense to the reviewer, but man, is that a lazy review. Such few words for the magnitude of the album.
I'd leave off the "No offense to the reviewer", that was a terrible, though positive, review.  Lazy beyond belief.  Why even bother writing that ?

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #5074 on: January 07, 2016, 06:32:45 PM »
The embargo may not be lifted and thus the vague and incomplete review
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen