Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200739 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #1540 on: November 24, 2015, 02:35:00 AM »
I hope for no narrative tracks. Semi spoken word set to music okay, but not only spoken word. I've seen somebody mention it in this thread, but there's a rockopera called Genius. Which has awesome vocalists, but horrible production and yes, every track is followed by a deep voice stating exactly wat has happened and what is going to happen. It makes it all too obvious.

Not saying that it could't be done better than that of course.

I'm thinking like dialogue over music. Like Rhapsody of Fire, with cheese factor intact. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1541 on: November 24, 2015, 02:52:40 AM »
 :flame:
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1542 on: November 24, 2015, 02:55:51 AM »
If it makes it any better, I like Rhapsody of Fire, and I love cheese, both figurative and literal.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1543 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:37 AM »
The more I find out, the more I'm stoked to see them perform it in a theatre! Or Theater.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1544 on: November 24, 2015, 02:59:33 AM »
I don't like cheese in metal. With the long hair, black clothes, \m/ stuff and all. I like over the top-ness in other styles of music though. I rarely like serious pop music, I often like pop music that doesn't take itself too serious, that tries to be over the top. Like the rappers that are really really gangster, admitting that they're trying hard to be like that. Rap cheese. I like blues guitar players that are non-serious over the top too. Blues Cheese (yes, pun intended). But cheese metal, nah.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Pettor

« Reply #1545 on: November 24, 2015, 03:01:42 AM »
I think the best spoken dialogue in a concept album is Blind Guardian's Nightfall In Middle Earth. That was brilliant voice acting :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1546 on: November 24, 2015, 03:55:18 AM »
I don't like cheese in metal. With the long hair, black clothes, \m/ stuff and all. I like over the top-ness in other styles of music though. I rarely like serious pop music, I often like pop music that doesn't take itself too serious, that tries to be over the top. Like the rappers that are really really gangster, admitting that they're trying hard to be like that. Rap cheese. I like blues guitar players that are non-serious over the top too. Blues Cheese (yes, pun intended). But cheese metal, nah.
Any particular reason for that distinction?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1547 on: November 24, 2015, 04:28:18 AM »
Cheese in metal. Isn't that a contradition in termine? I look at thes Uber serious, dark, black, metal METAL bands and I can't help but snigger. My criteria's are: is there melody? is there crunch? is there groove? Alright, then. Add a technical progfactor in and I'm sold. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: November 24, 2015, 04:36:39 AM »
Any particular reason for that distinction?

Taste, I guess. In blues I know saying that it's three o'clock and you're drunk, and your wife left you and you lost all your money is the equivalent of cheese, but still I can connect more to that, than to dragons and fire and that kinda stuff. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1549 on: November 24, 2015, 06:02:50 AM »
They will play the entire disc 1 as Act I and 2 as Act II with The Bigger Picture/Surrender to Reason as first encores and then something else to end.

Unless both CDs are full length in which it will probably just be the new album.

They'll probably do one or two familiar tracks for an encore.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1550 on: November 24, 2015, 06:25:08 AM »
if the album is longer than around 140 minutes I would just want to hear that fully on it's own. I think a random DT track that is not associated with the concept album will take a little from the experience. It's like reading through a book with an unrelated chapter at the end.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1551 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
if the album is longer than around 140 minutes I would just want to hear that fully on it's own. I think a random DT track that is not associated with the concept album will take a little from the experience. It's like reading through a book with an unrelated chapter at the end.

I don't go to live shows for one book. And what if you don't even like that one book? I don't like the idea of an entire show being one album at all, especially when it's not a "classic album".

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #1552 on: November 24, 2015, 06:29:19 AM »
I just hope I get the opportunity to get enough listens in before the tour starts!  ::)

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1553 on: November 24, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
^Unless that song is an intentional unreleased track that could conceivably go on the next album.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1554 on: November 24, 2015, 06:32:45 AM »

I don't go to live shows for one book. And what if you don't even like that one book? I don't like the idea of an entire show being one album at all, especially when it's not a "classic album".
This was the main reason I didn't get tickets, I already thought it was kinda expensive (which was to be expected by the venues they're playing + potential orchestra included), but how odd it may sound, I want to know what kind of show I'm going to, I don't mind not knowing the setlist, hell, that makes it even better, but I want to atleast have a taste of what I can expect.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1555 on: November 24, 2015, 06:36:08 AM »

This was the main reason I didn't get tickets, I already thought it was kinda expensive (which was to be expected by the venues they're playing + potential orchestra included), but how odd it may sound, I want to know what kind of show I'm going to, I don't mind not knowing the setlist, hell, that makes it even better, but I want to atleast have a taste of what I can expect.

That's not odd at all. It appears as if their set will consist mostly if not entirely of an album we haven't heard at all yet. I'd want to familiarize myself with the album first and then decide if I want to pay to see it performed live. Live shows aren't cheap, so you want to be sure you'll enjoy it. If it was a random setlist from a band who you like the majority of music from anyway, no problem, but this is a unique circumstance.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: November 24, 2015, 06:41:16 AM »

You could look at it like you might if your favorite stage troop were putting on a new, original production.

In fact, I get the feeling that is the way DT are actually looking at this project. The music, the stage production, the story and performance as a whole experience. Like you would just buy the album on the way of the theater so you could relive the experience.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1557 on: November 24, 2015, 06:46:05 AM »

You could look at it like you might if your favorite stage troop were putting on a new, original production.

In fact, I get the feeling that is the way DT are actually looking at this project. The music, the stage production, the story and performance as a whole experience. Like you would just buy the album on the way of the theater so you could relive the experience.
Yea I'm almost certain that I would enjoy the concert a lot if I would go, but my main activity during a concert is usually shouting along the lyrics as loud as possible, so this would definitely be something else for a change.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline AboutToCrash

« Reply #1558 on: November 24, 2015, 06:48:41 AM »

I usually enjoy a mix, but this is different. They've done something they've never done before and may never do again, and it's not like they're going to tour this special show extensively, they will end up with a standard setlist for at least 1 leg. I'm going to the live debut in London and want to have the best possible  experience, They will obviously put a lot of work into the live aspect of it so why not experience something in it's entirety on it's own? There will be tonnes of opportunities to hear the back catalogue once the world tour starts I'm sure.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1559 on: November 24, 2015, 07:49:39 AM »
I wouldn't dare missing this show. It's a make or break moment for DT. It's like having the opportunity to be there when Pink Floyd played The Wall in its entirety the first time. I'm not sure it'd be as interesting to see "Jordan Rudess plays The Astonishing" 20 years from now ;)

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1560 on: November 24, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
I wouldn't dare missing this show. It's a make or break moment for DT. It's like having the opportunity to be there when Pink Floyd played The Wall in its entirety the first time. I'm not sure it'd be as interesting to see "Jordan Rudess plays The Astonishing" 20 years from now ;)

:lol

You've got a point, but I really looked in to this again today and the Rank 5, obstructed view tickets are over 90 dollars (85 euros). That's a lot.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1561 on: November 24, 2015, 08:08:09 AM »
For me it was either this, or Rock Am Ring, went for the latter because that's more my kind of thing. While it's also way more expensive, I've found the vibe a festival gives off so freaking overwhelmingly awesome ever since my first real festival experience last summer that I think it's more than worth it (also, it's 3 whole days).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1562 on: November 24, 2015, 08:31:56 AM »
Since I am a DT fan going back to 1992, no matter that I haven't heard this new album yet -

If I had access to these shows, no way in fucking hell would I miss them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1563 on: November 24, 2015, 08:36:31 AM »
Since I am a DT fan going back to 1992, no matter that I haven't heard this new album yet -

If I had access to these shows, no way in fucking hell would I miss them.

Same here....

And about seeing a conceptalbum before hearing it. One of my favorite concerts was PoS - BE live about a year before the album was released.
You don't have to know the music before to enjoy the show, sometimes hearing music that is not released yet makes the experience more special.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1564 on: November 24, 2015, 08:43:58 AM »

So much for original ideas.  Not looking forward to this album even in the slightest.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1565 on: November 24, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Based off what we know about The Astonishing so far, I would go to this show. I'd actually rather hear it live first (Thats how I first heard Pain of Salvation 'BE' and Scenes From A Memory)

Also, since we do know the full tracklist, these shows really are The Astonishing Live. They'll likely include an encore song in the 10 or better yet 20 min range, Octavarium or A Change of Seasons would be fantastic encores.

Here's hoping they'll play somewhere close enough to me. Either way, I'm planning on going, I was a bit hurt I couldn't attend this past tour, with them playing Half of Awake and Scenes (especially Finally Free).
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline RoadTrain_of Thought

• SuspiciousBulgarian
« Reply #1566 on: November 24, 2015, 08:54:10 AM »
I so want to go to this show. The problem for me is that I don't think they'll come to Bulgaria. : (
"Like the wings of a dove, folding around me. I fall into this tender care."

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1567 on: November 24, 2015, 08:58:19 AM »
I'd love to go to this show and see The Astonishing in it's entirety. Hopefully they continue to play the new album in full when they come to the States.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #1568 on: November 24, 2015, 09:24:59 AM »
Hello guys, this is Francesco from Italy.  :heart

Before any other matters, just wanted to inform you that Emperor Nafaryus is starring in new Dark Moor's official video "Imperial Earth". Go watch it! (or could I link the video?)  ;D

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #1569 on: November 24, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
About the titles, I would prefer if they named album "Astonishing" and song "The Astonishing "

And yeah, new tweet from Arhys
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #1570 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »
*snip*

So much for original ideas.  Not looking forward to this album even in the slightest.

Says it isn't original. Hasn't heard one note or one lyric. Seems legit.

Also, I'll just go ahead and post the new tweet from Arhys:
"Heed not the deceit, The Empire has marked your commander as an outlaw. No amount of lies can stop us!"
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1571 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:21 AM »
Before any other matters, just wanted to inform you that Emperor Nafaryus is starring in new Dark Moor's official video "Imperial Earth". Go watch it! (or could I link the video?)  ;D

Good catch! That's hilarious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIe4qQYr_k

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1572 on: November 24, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »
[off topic]Noxon, I friended you last night, in case you didn't see.  Since your entire page seems to be in Norwegian, I'm not sure how helpful it will be to me, but still.  :lol [/off topic]
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Frankgate

« Reply #1573 on: November 24, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
;D
thanks

Just a few thoughts, anyway:
1) 2 CDs are more than enough for me. I'm afraid that the more the length the less the quality
2) not been a huge fan of DT in the last 15 years, but NOW I've got great expectations (just reserved my seat for Milan show)
3) do the red eyes of the NOMACS hide Easter Eggs?
4) I hate 30 seconds intros, outros, and any other word that ends with "-tros"  :laugh:

Most of all, I want to preview a FULL song....... NOW!  :tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1574 on: November 24, 2015, 10:04:44 AM »
I guess each CD will be 70 minutes long, so the whole Astonishing Live show will last approximately 2:40 hours (with intermissions and breaks included, I guess). That, plus a couple of encores (hopefully The Bigger Picture or a song that hasn't been played yet) makes the whole evening show.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing