Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200816 times)

Offline Enigmachine

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #735 on: November 13, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
1.  Even if we assume there is a definite release date in late January, it is only mid-November now.  It is VERY common in the music industry for release dates to get pushed back as the date approaches, and there are a LOT of reasons that that can happen.  Between now and late January, the date can change SEVERAL times, even if the band and label have a fixed date in mind right now.

I mean, it could change, but I don't see how. I think that because they're revealing track names, they must be REALLY close to being completely done and say if the album comes out Jan 22 and the band reveal artwork and begin the next stage of promotion on Nov 22, I wouldn't see any reason to delay the album. I wouldn't know that much about the way this works though.

2.  No, people at the venue are generally NOT aware of any inside information relating to the release of an album.  They have no idea of that type of information other than what the promoters tell them, and the promoters do not know anything other than what the label or management tell them.  People who run concert venues are not music insiders.
'Insider info' was definitely a poor word choice on my part, but what the promoters tell them is bound to be more correct than speculation on the part of a journalistic website such as MI which as far as I can gather, read the social media post about the tour then wrote the article taking the phrase 'debuting the album live' and not considering that it was talking about how the LIVE PERFORMANCE is going to debut on the 18th of February in London rather than the performance on the 18th being the first time the audience will listen to it.

I'm admittedly not really aware how any of this works and it's purely guesswork, but based on how far away late January still is, I would assume that everything is going according to plan. Well, apart from the title leak but I suppose that's what they get when they say they will perform the new album live without officially announcing the name. Do you know why DT announced the tour before the name?

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #736 on: November 13, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »
Yes, but the venue has gotten information from the label and the promoters (and by proxy DT's management) with regard to the concert. After all, the name of the album and the poster was released by venues prompting the band to confirm the name - so they were definitively privy to information we were not.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #737 on: November 13, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
Do you know why DT announced the tour before the name?

I would guess that shows tickets start to sell far more in advance than the release date of the album, so tourdates comes first while the details about an album that is still month away can wait.

You do need to know now that in 6 months DT will play in your city to decide if you wanna go, you don't need for hype and marketing strategy to know with that advance all the details of an album you won't be able to buy for several months yet.

But again as Noxon said... they should have seen it coming when allowing venues to use posters with the album title all over it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #738 on: November 13, 2015, 04:51:52 PM »
Yes, but the venue has gotten information from the label and the promoters (and by proxy DT's management) with regard to the concert. After all, the name of the album and the poster was released by venues prompting the band to confirm the name - so they were definitively privy to information we were not.

Right.  And as you point out, they are privy to information about the concert--not necessarily the album itself.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: November 13, 2015, 04:54:15 PM »
The Astonishing - Dream Theater's first Billboard Number 1 album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: November 13, 2015, 05:00:42 PM »
" DREAM THEATER WILL DEBUT THEIR NEW ALBUM LIVE IN ITS ENTIRETY

Dream Theater has announced new tour dates for a momentous European run that's set to kick off on February 18th at the Palladium in London, England. The tour will see the prog-titans delivering a one-of-a-kind show in which they premier their entire forthcoming album live. "

This sure looks like they're going to debut it live. But they can't DEBUT it at every show...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #741 on: November 13, 2015, 05:06:16 PM »

Dream Theater has announced new tour dates for a momentous European run that's set to kick off on February 18th at the Palladium in London, England. The tour will see the prog-titans delivering a one-of-a-kind show in which they premier their entire forthcoming album live. "

This sure looks like they're going to debut it live. But they can't DEBUT it at every show...
That just means first live performance.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #742 on: November 13, 2015, 05:08:05 PM »
Rich, correcting people on DTF forever. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: November 13, 2015, 05:11:42 PM »

That just means first live performance.

Well obviously. But they can't really debut & premier it at every gig. I actually don't think the album will be out during or after the tour either. It's just strange wording.

It's easy to see how it could be mis-interpreted.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #744 on: November 13, 2015, 05:12:03 PM »
Well, let's just say... I have some words that I've planned to write. And I know when I can do that...

Offline SuperTaco

• why do I still exist
  • doomed to fail
« Reply #745 on: November 13, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »
Well, let's just say... I have some words that I've planned to write. And I know when I can do that...

:corn
So fking tired of being an oversensitive naive moronic fkin bitch. I CANT STOP IT. I CANT CHANGE. IM STUCK. This world eats me alive. My purpose is simply to be what others shouldn't be. A shriveled fking beacon of sad energy. I have lost. I am lost.

Offline sdfdsv

« Reply #746 on: November 13, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »
:censored

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #747 on: November 13, 2015, 06:16:46 PM »

Will it be in three days? :neverusethis:

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #748 on: November 13, 2015, 06:40:19 PM »
I think it'd be awesome if they premiered this live. I understand why that might not be the most practical idea, but it'd be bold and awesome. Plus DT live is remarkably close to the studio recordings so it would be really special to be in the audience for that, hearing the album for the first time played by DT themselves. Didn't Genesis tour The Lamb before that came out? WWGD
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ori.elias5

• Its only in your mind
« Reply #749 on: November 13, 2015, 06:44:04 PM »
Just thought about it- maybe the Nomacs signs next to the 3 songs hint they are instrumentals?

I was hoping that the band will give us a big piece of info on friday the 13th..  :'(

A suggestion: maybe the admin will add a Nomac smiley ?  ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #750 on: November 13, 2015, 07:48:21 PM »
:nomac:

Hey it worked! :D
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jsbru

« Reply #751 on: November 13, 2015, 07:53:05 PM »
Anyone else wonder why there are little NOMACS next to some of the tracks? Maybe instrumentals?

Maybe it indicates spoken word sections, or maybe they'll become links to listen to some samples? No idea now.

With this many tracks, I think we'll get several either spoken word parts for the story, or maybe they've just split it into much smaller components, like the sections of their usual epics.

It could symbolize music from the NOMACS themselves.  The titles all suggest they could be.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jsbru

« Reply #752 on: November 13, 2015, 07:57:48 PM »
The deal with the NOMACs is a good excuse for Rudess to experience with some robotic dubsteish Bebot style noises, that could be fun if done right.

I was thinking the same thing.  There's potential for disaster here, but if done right, it could be really cool.

Aside from prog metal, I'm a pretty big electronic music fan--but I'm pretty picky about it.  No cheesey trance or bro house.  Chroma Key is awesome.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline RMGadelha

• Language nerd
  • Блин...
« Reply #753 on: November 13, 2015, 08:03:57 PM »
The deal with the NOMACs is a good excuse for Rudess to experience with some robotic dubsteish Bebot style noises, that could be fun if done right.

I was thinking the same thing.  There's potential for disaster here, but if done right, it could be really cool.

Aside from prog metal, I'm a pretty big electronic music fan--but I'm pretty picky about it.  No cheesey trance or bro house.  Chroma Key is awesome.

I think I only like electronic music in action movies, haha xD like the club shootout scene in John Wick.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:52:32 PM by RMGadelha »

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #754 on: November 13, 2015, 08:37:34 PM »
I think it takes guts for Dream Theater to sell shows for an album that nobody has heard yet.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #755 on: November 13, 2015, 08:41:47 PM »
Nefaryus

Now I'm onto you. Well played.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #756 on: November 13, 2015, 08:42:03 PM »
I don't think the mega-tracks theory makes much sense.  Or if there are mega-tracks, the titles haven't been released yet.  Because they wouldn't number the titles as if they were tracks right now.  There's just no reason for them to do so.

I think there's a good chance this album has a layout similar to The Wall.  We all know how much Pink Floyd has influenced these guys (they did an entire album live).  That album is 13 tracks on each side, and it doesn't even push the limits of the CDs length-wise.  There's just a lot of 1-2 minute atmosphere/segue pieces mixed in.

No reason why 2112 has to be the only influence on this album...this could be a combination of both, plus other stuff.

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #757 on: November 13, 2015, 10:34:04 PM »
I don't think the mega-tracks theory makes much sense.  Or if there are mega-tracks, the titles haven't been released yet.  Because they wouldn't number the titles as if they were tracks right now.  There's just no reason for them to do so.

Maybe they split them into multiple tracks, like Six Degrees.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #758 on: November 14, 2015, 12:18:30 AM »
Mind blown.

Either a lot of interludes like Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, or we really do get a double album of 140 minutes.

Now imagine the tracklist for ACT II:

18. THE ASTONISHING

And that would be it. People would go freaking nuts  ;D

Holy shit that would make me lose my mind  :lol Don't get me too excited
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #759 on: November 14, 2015, 12:25:54 AM »
When they put out DT12, they mentioned wanting to have the album out for a few months before going on tour, so people could digest the new material. That was for a 69 min album, and they didn't even play the whole thing. Now, for a seemingly 100+ min massive concept album, they're going to start touring with the entire concept mere weeks (if that) after it's release date. I find that kind of ironic  :lol

This concept has me more excited than any album ever has. It seems HUGE, and I trust the guys to make it interesting, fully developed, and above all, incredible in terms of musicianship. Really hoping for a single (that doesn't spoil a major plot point) real soon!!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2015, 01:04:45 AM »
i'm getting less and less hyped for this by the second  :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2015, 01:49:34 AM »
When they put out DT12, they mentioned wanting to have the album out for a few months before going on tour, so people could digest the new material. That was for a 69 min album, and they didn't even play the whole thing. Now, for a seemingly 100+ min massive concept album, they're going to start touring with the entire concept mere weeks (if that) after it's release date. I find that kind of ironic  :lol

Well, it's going to be a theater performance, with hopefully clearer sound and all, making it easier to digest. People won't need to sing along there, and I guess it'll be more like a real presentation of the album instead of a usual live show.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #762 on: November 14, 2015, 03:06:39 AM »
I know for a fact that the album will be out before the shows in february.
Guys... maybe you skipped this post.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: November 14, 2015, 03:08:47 AM »
I know for a fact that the album will be out.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #764 on: November 14, 2015, 03:11:00 AM »
Can´t help but thinking part of this stems from Labrie´s enthousiasm of working on Ayreon´s theater performance.  Guess it rubbed off on the other guys.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: November 14, 2015, 03:15:43 AM »
I know for a fact that the album will be out before the shows in february.
Guys... maybe you skipped this post.

they're going to start touring with the entire concept mere weeks (if that) after it's release date.

I don't see what's so contradicting to noxon's statement.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #766 on: November 14, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »
we need 3 more nomacs beside the tracks that working with the NOMACS! the act ll give to us another 3 nomacs!

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #767 on: November 14, 2015, 03:54:03 AM »
we need 3 more nomacs beside the tracks that working with the NOMACS! the act ll give to us another 3 nomacs!

Wow! Because 3+3=6 and 6:00 is the first track of Awake, the first album cover to have a CLOCK on it? Great thinking man, you're 3 steps ahead of me.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: November 14, 2015, 03:56:17 AM »

Wow! Because 3+3=6 and 6:00 is the first track of Awake, the first album cover to have a CLOCK on it? Great thinking man, you're 3 steps ahead of me.

:lol

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #769 on: November 14, 2015, 03:59:16 AM »
Can´t help but thinking part of this stems from Labrie´s enthousiasm of working on Ayreon´s theater performance.  Guess it rubbed off on the other guys.

The timing is kinda off though. They started writing the material for this album during DT12 tour. They went into the studio in january, and was pretty much done recording the backing tracks (guitars, drums, bass and keys) in june. When I spoke to them in July, what was missing at that point were vocals, overdubs and "effects" (i'm guessing narration and embellishments). The Theater Equation was at the end of september. Last day of recording was september 25th. There's no way that the theater performance had any influence on the album.

If anything influenced the band, it'd be older stuff like the obvious (2112, The Wall) - but I also see newer stuff being in their arsenal (like Circle of Illusion's Jeremias, which was one of JRs featured albums back in may, or Ayreon's Theory of Everything which JR appeared on).