Author Topic: Dream Theater: The Astonishing (now with moment of betrayal!)  (Read 1200906 times)

Offline GandL

Re: Dream Theater: The Astonishing
« Reply #700 on: November 13, 2015, 11:41:02 AM »
This:

1. Descent of the Nomacs

I. Dystophian Overture
II. The Gift of Music
III. The Answer
IV. A Better Life
V. Lord Nafaryus
VI. A Savior in the Square
VII. When Your Time Has Come
VIII. Act of Fayte
IX. Three Days

2. The Hovering Sojourn

I. Brother, Can You Hear Me
II. A Life Left Behind
III. Ravenskill
IV. Chosen
V. A Tempting Offer

3. Digital Discord (probably show up some more parts to this song)

Wouldn´t make sense if "Dysthopian Overture" was the 2:nd song, since it´s an overture...

Except that every title has its own assigned number..

1. Descent of the NOMACS (ok with this one)
2. Dystopian Overture (2, not "I")
3. The Gift of Music (3, not "II")
11. The Hovering Sojourn (11, not "2")
17. Digital Discord (17, not "3")

So the tracklist on DT's official page has to be a lie to make right your guess..  ;)

Well, this is my guess if the Nomac icon that are on songs 1,2,3 Are actually the songs...and the other "track names" are parts in those songs. Assuming they've just listed all the separate tracks/parts. 😊

So we should expect more tracks for ACT 1 ...

Offline alexofsweden

« Reply #701 on: November 13, 2015, 11:43:38 AM »
This:

1. Descent of the Nomacs

I. Dystophian Overture
II. The Gift of Music
III. The Answer
IV. A Better Life
V. Lord Nafaryus
VIII. Act of Fayte
IX. Three Days

2. The Hovering Sojourn

II. A Life Left Behind
III. Ravenskill
IV. Chosen
V. A Tempting Offer

Wouldn´t make sense if "Dysthopian Overture" was the 2:nd song, since it´s an overture...

So the tracklist on DT's official page has to be a lie to make right your guess..  ;)

Well, this is my guess if the Nomac icon that are on songs 1,2,3 Are actually the songs...and the other "track names" are parts in those songs. Assuming they've just listed all the separate tracks/parts. 😊

So we should expect more tracks for ACT 1 ...

Yes, read after song nr.3 😉😜

OR song no.3 is just one song with no "parts"...and that would mean that the first two songs are at least 20 min each 😄😂

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #702 on: November 13, 2015, 11:47:19 AM »
This:

1. Descent of the Nomacs

I. Dystophian Overture
II. The Gift of Music
III. The Answer
IV. A Better Life
V. Lord Nafaryus
VIII. Act of Fayte
IX. Three Days

2. The Hovering Sojourn

II. A Life Left Behind
III. Ravenskill
IV. Chosen
V. A Tempting Offer

Why are you closing out the possibility of it being fewer tracks with a total of 17 (maybe up to 20 or w/e) movements? There's 0 confirmation on whether these are separate tracks or not.

But there is confirmation on which number (whether be a track's number or a song's number) correspond to which name.. e.g: "Three Days" is track/song/movement 10.. I see it as a fact, since they have no reason to write a wrong tracklist and then change it for something like alexofsweden proposes, which is indeed interesting, but, again, contradictory with what we do know ("A Better Life" is 5 five, not IV or 4... something -track, song, whatever-)..

I remember when they revealed the DT12's tracklist, it was the actual and definitive tracklist.. It was like this:

1- False Awakening Suite
    I. Sleep Paralysis
    II. Night Terrors
    III. Lucid Dream
2- The Enemy Inside
3- The Looking Glass
           (etc)

It wasn't like this:

1- False Awakening Suite
2- Sleep Paralysis
3- Night Terrors
4- Lucid Dream
5- The Enemy Inside
6- The Looking Glass
            (etc)

[funny thing though that in DT12 there are also 17 different titles]
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #703 on: November 13, 2015, 11:53:15 AM »
To think that just a couple of months ago the situation was "In the era of social media DT is silent and they tell us nothing at all"... and now THIS!

I love how basically every speculation could be right at this moment, since everything is so unusual and, truly, never-done-before so we have nothing but our wild guesses to rely on.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #704 on: November 13, 2015, 11:54:54 AM »
My guess is that Act II will all be about the battle between the Empire and the rebels.
I also get a distinct LOTR vibe from this, with maps depicting mountains ranges, one Chosen dude who will (likely) fell the Empire etc

EDIT: Ravenskill = Rivendell ?  :eek
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #705 on: November 13, 2015, 11:59:51 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #706 on: November 13, 2015, 12:01:11 PM »
But there is confirmation on which number (whether be a track's number or a song's number) correspond to which name.. e.g: "Three Days" is track/song/movement 10.. I see it as a fact, since they have no reason to write a wrong tracklist and then change it for something like alexofsweden proposes, which is indeed interesting, but, again, contradictory with what we do know ("A Better Life" is 5 five, not IV or 4... something -track, song, whatever-)..

I remember when they revealed the DT12's tracklist, it was the actual and definitive tracklist.. It was like this:

1- False Awakening Suite
    I. Sleep Paralysis
    II. Night Terrors
    III. Lucid Dream
2- The Enemy Inside
3- The Looking Glass
           (etc)

It wasn't like this:

1- False Awakening Suite
2- Sleep Paralysis
3- Night Terrors
4- Lucid Dream
5- The Enemy Inside
6- The Looking Glass
            (etc)

[funny thing though that in DT12 there are also 17 different titles]
Yeah you got a point, it should be me proving you wrong rather than you proving me wrong, because yours is more logical with the information given, I just can't understand how they'd do it the way you describe, but I'm not going to think too much into it, just waiting on more info.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline emtee

« Reply #707 on: November 13, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Maybe like Dog and Butterfly. One side mellow and more acoustic and the other balls and chunk. Doubtful though...

I predict a banjo makes it's first DT appearance  :-*

When I think about it I envision Ian Anderson circa Thick As A Brick era on stage in tights.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 05:04:27 PM by ariich »

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #708 on: November 13, 2015, 12:13:08 PM »
As a side note, I'm glad all this talk about this rock opera/ 17 tracks sounding like with ayreon the theory of everything made me pick up that album for the first time... I'm really liking it!

Damn.. I'm just at Progressive Waves.. I'm Like.. who is this key/synth player :hefdaddy?? ...  went to wikipedia and mind blow!!!!!!!! Emerson and Rudess!!!

Glad to see another DTF person who started to appreciate Ayreon. The Theory of Everything is one of my favourite albums ever, despite being released only two years ago. It just connects with me in a way not a lot of albums do.

I really love The Theory of Everything, I like how there are 40 something little tracks, it's fun. But my favorite Ayreon album is The Human Equation, actually it is one of my favorite albums of all time, everything on it is perfect to me.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #709 on: November 13, 2015, 12:14:44 PM »
Why are you closing out the possibility of it being fewer tracks with a total of 17 (maybe up to 20 or w/e) movements? There's 0 confirmation on whether these are separate tracks or not.

I've always assumed that the "tracklist" is meant to "list the tracks". Act I might be a continuous peice of music, or 3, but I'm fairly certain that there are in fact (at least) 17 tracks.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #710 on: November 13, 2015, 12:18:10 PM »
To think that just a couple of months ago the situation was "In the era of social media DT is silent and they tell us nothing at all"... and now THIS!

Yeah, totally.. In fact that was just three weeks ago.. Wasn't in late October when they put the "The path will soon divide" thing on their page?..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #711 on: November 13, 2015, 12:26:23 PM »
As a side note, I'm glad all this talk about this rock opera/ 17 tracks sounding like with ayreon the theory of everything made me pick up that album for the first time... I'm really liking it!

Damn.. I'm just at Progressive Waves.. I'm Like.. who is this key/synth player :hefdaddy?? ...  went to wikipedia and mind blow!!!!!!!! Emerson and Rudess!!!

Glad to see another DTF person who started to appreciate Ayreon. The Theory of Everything is one of my favourite albums ever, despite being released only two years ago. It just connects with me in a way not a lot of albums do.

I really love The Theory of Everything, I like how there are 40 something little tracks, it's fun. But my favorite Ayreon album is The Human Equation, actually it is one of my favorite albums of all time, everything on it is perfect to me.

The Theory of Everything was #5 in my list of my favourite albums of all time, and The Human Equation was #4, so yeah, I agree with you indeed.

And live performance of The Human Equation this autumn was the best thing I've ever seen. I'm a big fan of Ayreon, yep.

Anyway, let's get back to new DT.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #712 on: November 13, 2015, 02:15:27 PM »
I find it funny that people are suddenly saying TA will be like The Theory of Everything. Can't accept the idea of 17+ shorter songs instead of 8-9 longer ones? Maybe this is the "change in the universal flow" that JR referred to.

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #713 on: November 13, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
I find it funny that people are suddenly saying TA will be like The Theory of Everything. Can't accept the idea of 17+ shorter songs instead of 8-9 longer ones? Maybe this is the "change in the universal flow" that JR referred to.

Or maybe he's just building up more hype on us, using the generic unrelated speech that's usual before every new album release...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #714 on: November 13, 2015, 02:36:29 PM »
Or maybe no one really knows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #715 on: November 13, 2015, 02:36:46 PM »
i'm getting less and less hyped for this by the second  :lol

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #716 on: November 13, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
Seems like it could be a 2112 inspired story, taking it up a notch.

Already done by Coheed & Cambria on their second album. That's the title of the hidden track. ;)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #717 on: November 13, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »
Or maybe no one really knows.

Except the band, and the record label...  :P

It's pretty cool though, all of this. They're generally defying our predictions/expectations for this. I'm not only excited by the prospect of hearing new DT music, but I'm also gripped by how the storyline will pan out.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #718 on: November 13, 2015, 02:47:55 PM »
Something strange I hadn't read (hope this hasn't already been posted. If so, feel free to delete dear admins). On yourmajesty.net, someone posted the following info as found on metalinjection :

"Dream Theater will be releasing its new album The Astonishing sometime early 2016 and, if you live in Europe, you can hear the whole thing in its entirety played live before the release date."

Here is the link to the entire article :

https://www.metalinjection.net/tour-dates/dream-theater-announce-new-double-album-rock-opera-the-astonishing-will-play-new-album-live-in-full-on-its-2016-european-tour

What do you guys think? Playing The Astonishing live before releasing the album? Wow! A bold move if true.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #719 on: November 13, 2015, 02:52:15 PM »
Don't know how they would get that information, but it's certainly the first time I've read that around here, and very plausible, but I still like to think we're only 3 months away from the album release max.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #720 on: November 13, 2015, 02:56:45 PM »
I know for a fact that the album will be out before the shows in february.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #721 on: November 13, 2015, 03:02:05 PM »

Thanks, Noxon. Don't know where they got that info.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #722 on: November 13, 2015, 03:12:21 PM »

Yeah, this website says the release date will be late January:
https://www.cirkus.se/evenemang/visa/dream-theater#fndtn-event

I've quoted this about 3 times now and people still say that it's possible for DT to release the album after it's been played live. They won't do it. I'm pretty sure that the venue would be more aware of insider info than Metal Injection. Also, if they did play it live before release that would be a little dumb, as nobody has any clue if they will like what they hear and crowd participation would be impossible considering the audience will not know the songs.

Eh, I can't really imaging a Prog Metal band doing a concept album where all of the songs are around four minutes long. I think a similar layout to SfaM would be likely, but with a higher ratio of interludes / spoken parts to songs explaining the higher track count.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #723 on: November 13, 2015, 03:22:02 PM »
It is not unheard of to play a concept album in it's entirity before it's released. I would love if they did that with this album, releasing it after the tour.

Pain of Salvation put up BE live about a year before the album was released. They did a run of shows in their hometown of Eskilstuna. One of the dates was filmed and later released on DVD. That concert was one of my favorite live experiences even though I had not heard a single sound before.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #724 on: November 13, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
Why would they let the audience sit through an entire unknown album at the shows, and having the first impression of said album given to the world by crappy YouTube videos? No way they're not gonna release this before the tour starts.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hadi-persian

« Reply #725 on: November 13, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
10 tracks for act ll 100%
 :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #726 on: November 13, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »

1. CLocks
2. CLocks
3. Clocks
4. Clocks
5. Clocks
6. Clocks
7. Clocks
8. Clocks
9. Clocks
10. The Astonishing Clocks
   i. clocks
   ii. clocks
  iii. clocks
   iv. clocks
    v. clocks

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »
It's kinda funny how everyone is mentioning Ayreon after looking at the tracklist. I remember when the DT12 tracklist went up, there were some comparisons to Symphony X in the song titles.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #728 on: November 13, 2015, 03:47:30 PM »
1. CLocks
2. CLocks
3. Clocks
4. Clocks
5. Clocks
6. Clocks
7. Clocks
8. Clocks
9. Clocks
   i. clocks
   ii. clocks
  iii. clocks
   iv. clocks
    v. clocks

Wrong. There are 12 hours on an analog clock and 24 in a day. There are obviously 1224 tracks in ACT II.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #729 on: November 13, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »

1. CLocks
2. CLocks
3. Clocks
4. Clocks
5. Clocks
6. Clocks
7. Clocks
8. Clocks
9. Clocks
   i. clocks
   ii. clocks
  iii. clocks
   iv. clocks
    v. clocks

https://youtu.be/I-5RgaYJNHQ
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nothingface

« Reply #730 on: November 13, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »

1. CLocks
2. CLocks
3. Clocks
4. Clocks
5. Clocks
6. Clocks
7. Clocks
8. Clocks
9. Clocks
   i. clocks
   ii. clocks
  iii. clocks
   iv. clocks
    v. clocks

Act II: Beating a Dead Horse
Condoms? Um, are they like a dream theater souvenir?  Where can I find those condoms? That'd be really nice to havr.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: November 13, 2015, 04:01:59 PM »
:deadhorse:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #732 on: November 13, 2015, 04:12:50 PM »
Yeah, this website says the release date will be late January:
https://www.cirkus.se/evenemang/visa/dream-theater#fndtn-event

I've quoted this about 3 times now and people still say that it's possible for DT to release the album after it's been played live. They won't do it. I'm pretty sure that the venue would be more aware of insider info than Metal Injection.

Okay, but two things:
1.  Even if we assume there is a definite release date in late January, it is only mid-November now.  It is VERY common in the music industry for release dates to get pushed back as the date approaches, and there are a LOT of reasons that that can happen.  Between now and late January, the date can change SEVERAL times, even if the band and label have a fixed date in mind right now.
2.  No, people at the venue are generally NOT aware of any inside information relating to the release of an album.  They have no idea of that type of information other than what the promoters tell them, and the promoters do not know anything other than what the label or management tell them.  People who run concert venues are not music insiders. 

That being said:

Also, if they did play it live before release that would be a little dumb, as nobody has any clue if they will like what they hear and crowd participation would be impossible considering the audience will not know the songs.

Very true.  For practical reasons, it does not seem like a good move to play the entire album live before it is released.  But you never know.  If they cut it close between the release date and the concert date, and circumstances beyond the band's control ended up pushing the release date out until after the show, the band might be upset, but there would not be much they could do about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #733 on: November 13, 2015, 04:33:31 PM »
i love you guys <33333333
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #734 on: November 13, 2015, 04:35:35 PM »
 :heart :heart :heart