Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 84498 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #420 on: January 04, 2020, 07:46:21 PM »
Filet mignon with a garlic parmesan cream sauce, pancetta risotto, and paired with a well aged bottle of dark Belgian beer, best meal I've had in a while

:tup

So I got an instant pot for xmas...been playing with that the last week. Tonight I made chicken tacos (pressure cooked chicken thighs, with my special mexican spice blend and a squeeze of lime), cotija cheese, salsa, cilantro and onions. Fucking so good.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #421 on: January 05, 2020, 10:25:37 AM »
Just finished brunch.... Homemade gravlax on NYC bagels. I may have to see a doctor if this lasts more then four hours. Best gravlax ever, it's rubbed with Laphroaig 10 (a very smoky scotch) before the cure is applied. It is hands-down the best we've ever had.

I'm braising beef short ribs in the slow cooker today. This time I added a 1/4 cup (or so) of Lagavulin 16 to the braising sauce... Thor almighty, it smells good in the house right now. It's going to be difficult to wait until this afternoon to eat.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #422 on: January 06, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
I'll be dead honest, I've cooked with a good deal of scotches and whiskeys, and good old Jack Daniels always worked best for me. Once you cook out and reduce it, the more raw flavors in jack enhance the food better than the more refined booze. Maybe in a raw application like gravlox it'd be different (though my sober ass will never find out).

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2020, 07:36:10 AM »
Yeah, you're right (of course), lonestar.

While the reduced braising sauce had all the hints of smoky/peaty smells I was going for, after hours in the slow cooker it was nearly invisible. The ribs were very delicious but that was primarily just because of the rib flavors. Only the slightest after taste carried the spices and scotch flavors. I probably should have given the ribs 10 minutes or so under pressure prior to setting the pot to slow cook. Perhaps that would have driven the flavors home better(?).
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2020, 08:59:24 AM »
Filet mignon with a garlic parmesan cream sauce, pancetta risotto, and paired with a well aged bottle of dark Belgian beer, best meal I've had in a while

:tup

So I got an instant pot for xmas...been playing with that the last week. Tonight I made chicken tacos (pressure cooked chicken thighs, with my special mexican spice blend and a squeeze of lime), cotija cheese, salsa, cilantro and onions. Fucking so good.
Yeah, I got one too. First thing I did was a pretty tasty vindaloo. Far better than any I've done low and slow in the past. Last night was also taco night, but with a pork shoulder good and adoboed up. On that one I didn't really notice much difference between the PC'd version vs the crockpot. Although tonight will be the real test. After shredding the pork and separating the fat I put it back under pressure for a few minutes to try and better infuse some flavor, and then let the sauce simmer down quite a bit.

I was kind of disappointed in it as a gift at first. I do my cooking on Sunday so low and slow has always worked great. It is kind of nice to be able to do it all at once, though. More importantly, there are some things that are noticeably better for being PCed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
For someone who spends 50 hours in the kitchen for work, being able to throw a bunch of stuff into a pot and hit play is a fucking dream.  :lol

Yeah, you're right (of course), lonestar.

While the reduced braising sauce had all the hints of smoky/peaty smells I was going for, after hours in the slow cooker it was nearly invisible. The ribs were very delicious but that was primarily just because of the rib flavors. Only the slightest after taste carried the spices and scotch flavors. I probably should have given the ribs 10 minutes or so under pressure prior to setting the pot to slow cook. Perhaps that would have driven the flavors home better(?).

Next time try a stout or porter, those fucking rock in short ribs

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #426 on: January 07, 2020, 03:08:43 PM »
I haven't used my crock pot in awhile, but I've always loved everything that came out of it.  This talk is making me want to start using it again. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #427 on: January 07, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
All the talk of short ribs makes me want to bust some out, but I've gotten spoiled with the ones I get at work, and those in the stores fall very short (no pun intended). We get these beefy boneless suckers at work that are fucking brilliant.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #428 on: February 15, 2020, 02:35:58 PM »
Used a meat thermometer for the very first time today when cooking a steak and it worked out pretty well.

Been cooking for years and have always been good with steak, but fish and chicken not so much, so I am glad to have this thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: February 16, 2020, 07:51:51 AM »
I use the meat thermometer for chicken mainly. I've gotten pretty good at feeling out when a steak is done.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:37 AM »
For most of my life I've been a "I'll know when it's done" kind of cook, until I bought one of these Meater thermometer. It's fool proof and I get perfect results every time. I'm a convert.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #431 on: February 16, 2020, 11:17:58 AM »
I'm at the point where with steaks I can tell just by looking at them, maybe a touch here and there to confirm. Poultry I'll still use just to assure it's all the way. Fish is a timing thing, hard sear on each side, then into the oven for 3-5 minutes, pending on the fish.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #432 on: February 16, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »
I was having salmon issues.

I could do ok if it was fresh and thawed completely, but there were nights where I had frozen Filets in the freezer, which I tried to thaw and they were sill partially frozen and it was one big clusterfuck, so I figured the thermometer might help.

Or better yet, just let them thaw completely  :P

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #433 on: February 16, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
Yeah, the latter is the right answer

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: February 16, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »
hmmm I could probably use a meat thermometer.  I'm terrible with over cooking my chicken and don't even attempt to cook steaks anymore.

The girl I've been seeing loves cooking and our latest dates have been us cooking a dish together.  This has also lead to her understanding my kitchen is very poorly stocked with good equipment.  Since then, she's gotten me a food processor, a roller, and a grater for rinds (a bit finer than a cheese grater it seems).  Now it seems like she's going to be picking up some cast iron for our next dish.  I'll have to post some pics of our creations which have mostly all been fantastic other than our penne vodka from the Soprano's cook book.  Wasn't bad, but kind of came out like a slighty spicy meat sauce.  Not a vodka sauce at all. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #435 on: February 17, 2020, 11:30:59 AM »
You co ui ld also shoot for dishes that aren't so temperature sensitive. Braised dishes can sit for fucking ever cooking, and o ly get better and better. Personally I'll take a braised lamb shank over a perfectly cooked steak any day, and the variety of dishes available is endless. Lamb shank, osso bucco, all the stews, Coq a Vin, and on and on. Hit me up if you want any guidance or recipes.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #436 on: February 17, 2020, 12:49:17 PM »
As a BBQ hobbyist, thermometers are an essential tool, both cooking temps and meat internal temps have to monitored. Also, it's a matter of safety with poultry.

I have multiple; an instant-read thermometer to stick in for immediate results, a Bluetooth probe thermometer which I can track temps on my phone if I'm within range, and a WiFi hookup with two probes; one to track the cooking temp inside the grill/smoker, and one in the meat that I'm cooking, which I can track from anywhere with internet access from the app on my phone.

Yes, you can usually know a steak's doneness by touch, but I prefer to know for sure, and I often do a reverse sear on a good steak, meaning I'll cook it slowly (around 250°), sometimes with a little smoke, to exactly 120° internal, then sear it hot, over direct flame or in a cast iron pan, to finish it.

Note the pink in this steak goes from top to bottom, not just in the center with gray around the border. This is the result of lower/slower cooking then reverse searing.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: February 17, 2020, 06:34:19 PM »
For most of my life I've been a "I'll know when it's done" kind of cook, until I bought one of these Meater thermometer. It's fool proof and I get perfect results every time. I'm a convert.

Alright so I have a buddy of mine who swears by this thing but when he showed it off to me the range was really bad, how well does it work for you?

hmmm I could probably use a meat thermometer.  I'm terrible with over cooking my chicken and don't even attempt to cook steaks anymore.

I started to sous vide my chicken and pop it into a pan for the final sear, it's pretty well.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #438 on: March 19, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
Shelter in Place order is really restrictive, struggling to get a good meal together.

Tonight I had to suffer through this veal osso buco with braised carrots and garlic potatoes. Please, pray for strength that I may make it through this...

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #439 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:28 AM »
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #440 on: March 21, 2020, 06:09:17 AM »
Shelter in Place order is really restrictive, struggling to get a good meal together.

Tonight I had to suffer through this veal osso buco with braised carrots and garlic potatoes. Please, pray for strength that I may make it through this...

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #442 on: March 22, 2020, 07:44:11 PM »
I poached salmon for the first time in my life. It was awesome! I’ll definitely do that again

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #443 on: March 24, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
So I've been making my own bread and pizza while bored out of my skull on quarantine. Today we try croissants:

Results later

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #444 on: March 24, 2020, 08:52:20 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #445 on: March 24, 2020, 08:57:11 AM »
How did you get them to realign themselves in the oven?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #446 on: March 24, 2020, 08:58:43 AM »
Asked in french

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #447 on: March 24, 2020, 09:15:06 AM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #448 on: March 24, 2020, 09:19:41 AM »
Very nice...looks like you nailed the buttery, flakey aspect of them. One thing a pastry chef I used to work with did was put finishing salt on them before baking, like a pretzel. Really enhanced both flavor and texture.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #449 on: March 24, 2020, 09:22:08 AM »
Gotta try that!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #450 on: April 12, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
The last bunch of saturdays my date and I have been making home cooked pizzas.  I had an idea after many drinks one night while making a pepperoni pizza to put mini raviolis in vodka sauce for a pizza topping... and we made it happen last night.  With some pancetta, globs of ricotta, and shredded mozzarella.  :metal :metal It came out so damn good

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #451 on: April 12, 2020, 12:43:49 PM »
This is the second ravioli pizza post I've seen today. It's a sign ...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #452 on: April 13, 2020, 08:31:32 PM »
The pork tenderloin I made for dinner last night after cooking sous vide and a sear in the cast iron skillet

Ready for the table after I sliced it and added a pan sauce I made with some butter and white wine

Some pancetta risotto I also made as a side.

Photobucket sucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2020, 08:52:22 PM »
Fantastic! I love risotto too. You sure that ain't a pork loin, though? Tenderloin is usually much thinner than that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #454 on: April 13, 2020, 09:26:16 PM »
It's a pork loin for sure.

Solid dish bud  :tup