Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76106 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
Unless you have small children, I don't think you are allowed inside before 2:00 a.m.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #386 on: August 30, 2019, 01:46:27 PM »
Was that your first time?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #387 on: September 28, 2019, 06:40:44 AM »
I'm pretty excited, I'm trying my hand at making some pastrami tomorrow. I've had the meat in a brine since Monday and I've been following this recipe: https://girlscangrill.com/recipe/homemade-chuck-roast-pastrami-recipe/

My buddy tried it and it came out amazing. I tried making some prastrami a few months ago using another recipe and it came out terrible, way too salty so I have high hopes for this one.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #388 on: October 14, 2019, 05:54:15 PM »
OKay: question to the cooks here.   My daughter made a delicious chicken fajita pasta (tastewise).   The recipe called for the chicken, vegetables, and spices to be heated in a milk sauce, then the pasta added and cooked for about 15 minutes (to cook the pasta).  Once the pasta was cooked, it had her add shredded cheese.   At the end, the recipe became too dry. 

What's the best way to loosen up the sauce but still keep it creamy?  Add milk? Water? Chicken stock?

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #389 on: October 14, 2019, 07:47:28 PM »
Milk over low/medium low heat could work. If the pasta is clumped, start with low heat for sure so the sauce can have time to heat up gradually without burning and so you won't have to forcefully break up the pasta thus mangling it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #390 on: November 08, 2019, 03:58:11 PM »
Got pancakes this morning and I loved every bite

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: November 08, 2019, 04:00:45 PM »
Yum, I usually dont eat much breakfast but I got an omelet this morning while I'm traveling for work and after ordering, the guy next to me got served pancakes and I felt like I made the wrong choice. We the omelet was great but I wish I added a side of pancakes.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #392 on: December 16, 2019, 03:15:23 PM »
Had this brownie sunday today

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #393 on: December 21, 2019, 08:05:43 PM »
Thought I'd treat myself to something special to kick off the holiday food fest...

Butter basted Snake River Farms wagyu strip loin, warm brussel sprout and hen-o-the woods mushroom salad, maple cider vinaigrette...

I'm so fucking happy right now.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #394 on: December 21, 2019, 08:07:47 PM »
It looks like your steak (which looks awesome BTW) threw up! What is all that shit underneath it? Where's the spuds?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #395 on: December 21, 2019, 08:11:13 PM »
Hey meat and potato hug, your probably hate Brussels Sprouts I'd guess.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #396 on: December 21, 2019, 08:12:35 PM »
It looks like your steak (which looks awesome BTW) threw up! What is all that shit underneath it? Where's the spuds?

It's pure bliss my friend, pure bliss. I can sell any hater on brussel sprouts.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #397 on: December 21, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
No way. Those are vegetarian testicles.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #398 on: December 21, 2019, 08:30:43 PM »
Someday, I will convert you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #399 on: December 21, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
I'm just bustin'.

My wife is an amazing cook, and I've eaten stuff never would before.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #400 on: December 21, 2019, 08:46:53 PM »
I'll be dead honest though...I feel potatoes don't do a steak of this quality justice, I think it deadens the taste buds and doesn't let the fat in the marbling really explode, whereas the acid in the cider vinegar plays with it so well, especially for someone like me who can't have the good red wine to go with it. A brilliant hearty cab would've been perfect, but alas, I didn't feel like blacking out and ending up in jail or something  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #401 on: December 21, 2019, 08:50:02 PM »
Yeah, that wouldn't be good. :lol

I'm not a steak person. I'd just as soon cut it up and put it in a sandwich with mayo.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #402 on: December 21, 2019, 09:01:49 PM »
Yeah, that wouldn't be good. :lol

I'm not a steak person. I'd just as soon cut it up and put it in a sandwich with mayo.

This steak is $29/lb :lolpalm:

I really want to, just once, jump on the Crowd Cow site and get one of their steaks. All their stuff is A5 wagyu from Japan. I've had it once, and it was just trimmings, but was easily the best steak I've ever had. I think just once the experience of doing the whole process properly is in order. For anyone curious here is a pic of the exact steak I'd order, A5, BMS 12 grade tenderloin, $175 for 7oz..

:hefdaddy

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #403 on: December 23, 2019, 05:43:19 AM »
Imagine it being ordered well done.   >:(
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #404 on: December 23, 2019, 06:19:40 AM »
Honestly I'd refuse to cook it.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: December 23, 2019, 06:23:24 AM »
Years ago, I was at a restaurant with my first wife and she kept sending back a steak to have it cooked more. The third time it came back, the chef had made a little cross out of wood skewers and jammed it into one end of the steak as a head stone. Cracked me up.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #406 on: December 23, 2019, 06:23:34 AM »

With ketchup.

Sorry I know nothing about steaks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #407 on: December 23, 2019, 06:34:20 AM »

:lol this reminds me of an experience at a restaurant I had with my old college friends during a bachelor party. The first night we were there we had some drinks and went to a really nice dinner. Ordered some steaks and more drinks. One of my buddies asked half way through his steak if he could have some ketchup, the waitress was appalled and said no. He was a little taken back and she stayed firm. We gave him shit over it and he continued to eat his steak.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #408 on: December 31, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »
Good for her, she can work in my restaurant any day.

So for NYE I decided to visit wagyu town again, same farm, same cut. Served this time with bacon braised chard and a parmesean pilaf. So delicious I didn't bother waiting to take a pic of it. For anyone curious about this wagyu, it actually is fairly cheap, my store had it at $26/lb, so my 8oz strip loin was a touch under $15, well worth it for the epicness of this cut of meat.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #409 on: December 31, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »

So for NYE I decided to visit wagyu town again, same farm, same cut. Served this time with bacon braised chard and a parmesean pilaf. So delicious I didn't bother waiting to take a pic of it. For anyone curious about this wagyu, it actually is fairly cheap, my store had it at $26/lb, so my 8oz strip loin was a touch under $15, well worth it for the epicness of this cut of meat.

Good lord, that is cheaper than the beef tenderloin I got at WF for our carpaccio tonight ($34/lb).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #410 on: January 01, 2020, 12:01:39 AM »

Good lord, that is cheaper than the beef tenderloin I got at WF for our carpaccio tonight ($34/lb).

Just checked, tenderloin is $29 here. That cut is always ridiculously overpriced, and for me, it couldn't hold the strip loin or ribeye's jock when it comes to flavor. Granted, it's the only proper cut for a carpaccio, so I get that. What'd you garnish the carpaccio with? Been a while since I had one.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #411 on: January 01, 2020, 07:58:50 AM »

Just checked, tenderloin is $29 here. That cut is always ridiculously overpriced, and for me, it couldn't hold the strip loin or ribeye's jock when it comes to flavor. Granted, it's the only proper cut for a carpaccio, so I get that. What'd you garnish the carpaccio with? Been a while since I had one.

A Ceaser aoli, capers, parm shavings and arugula. With a quick sear on the beef before it went in the freezer. Paired with a dirty martini (with Roquefort-stuffed olives).

Filet is all about texture to me, so agreed on the flavor point. It's coasting on its image, which still seems like an 80s holdover. Flavor-wise, I far prefer most other cuts. I did a rib roast for Christmas, covered in garlic, anchovy and rosemary, with a couple of days aging in a salt rub prior to that. Oh my holy lord.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #412 on: January 01, 2020, 09:44:58 AM »
I'm not sure why because i've never eaten a tartare but I wonder what Wagyu tartare would taste like give the quality of the beef.

I would love to taste wagyu someday, I can imagine the whole thing melts in your mouth. *drools

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #413 on: January 01, 2020, 10:15:04 AM »
I'm not sure why because i've never eaten a tartare but I wonder what Wagyu tartare would taste like give the quality of the beef.

I would love to taste wagyu someday, I can imagine the whole thing melts in your mouth. *drools

You should eat a proper tartare, ASAP.

Just finished brunch.... Homemade gravlax on NYC bagels. I may have to see a doctor if this lasts more then four hours. Best gravlax ever, it's rubbed with Laphroaig 10 (a very smoky scotch) before the cure is applied. It is hands-down the best we've ever had.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #414 on: January 01, 2020, 10:47:36 AM »
Got me a bacon egg and cheese on an everything bagel to start the year off properly. I was supposed to get some cooking in for New Year's Eve, but my dad came down with a stomach bug so I'll do it this weekend instead. Need to pick a cut of steak to get to sous vide, I'd like to try something that'll do well with a long cook, and then I also want to make some pancetta risotto.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #415 on: January 01, 2020, 11:06:01 AM »

Now there's a big difference between a tartar and a carpaccio. The carpaccio is paper thin sliced, laid out on a plate and garnished with things like capers, aioli, cheese, truffles, porcini, etc. A tartar is finely diced, mixed with egg yolk and other aromatics, and served with toast points. Personally, the higher end wagyu would be wasted in such applications. Carpaccio is a very cold dish, and in the wagyu half the effect is releasing the fat in the marbling, and anyone who took a wagyu and mixed it with egg yolk should be fucking shot.

Heavy salt and pepper, hard sear on teh outside, and a rare middle. Fucking dream. The Japanese have an application where they take strips of the raw wagyu and dip it in a hot broth long enough to activate the fat. That to me sounds divine, and it's their beef, they've had a lot more time figuring out how it's best served. I'd say anyone at some point who can should drop the money for the experience just once.

While some may see dropping that amount of cash on food, to me, moments like that really last forever.

Oh, and Millahh, I've never heard of using anchovy on a rib roast, but I can totally see that working well. Gonna have to give it a go someday  :millahhhh

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #416 on: January 01, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »

I prefer a ribeye, myself, but the filet is also the best choice for Oscaring up, and a steak Oscar is one of my very favorite things. Doing it with a ribeye or strip just isn't the same. And as I think about it, that pretty much applies to any surf-turf type of deal.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #417 on: January 01, 2020, 02:30:46 PM »

Oh, and Millahh, I've never heard of using anchovy on a rib roast, but I can totally see that working well. Gonna have to give it a go someday  :millahhhh

Highly recommended. It did all of the wonderful stuff that anchovies normally do, but it particularly stood out in the rib bones (which we put under the broiler for a could of minutes before frantically gnawing at them like underfed racoons).

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #418 on: January 01, 2020, 03:42:45 PM »
I prefer a ribeye, myself, but the filet is also the best choice for Oscaring up, and a steak Oscar is one of my very favorite things. Doing it with a ribeye or strip just isn't the same. And as I think about it, that pretty much applies to any surf-turf type of deal.

Oh yeah, for an oscar, a filet is the best choice. You don't really need the extra fat in the meat since you got more than enough from the bernaise sauce. I do enjoy ribeyes, but always preferred strip loin, just a personal preference thing. They're both good cuts.

Highly recommended. It did all of the wonderful stuff that anchovies normally do, but it particularly stood out in the rib bones (which we put under the broiler for a could of minutes before frantically gnawing at them like underfed racoons).

Yeah...I mean a good, proper worcestershire is basically an anchovy sauce, so it makes total sense.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2020, 06:41:42 PM »
Filet mignon with a garlic parmesan cream sauce, pancetta risotto, and paired with a well aged bottle of dark Belgian beer, best meal I've had in a while
Photobucket sucks.