Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 76684 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #525 on: May 24, 2020, 11:55:54 AM »
Had burgers yesterday myself, MrBoom_shack-a-lack (fuck that's awkward to type), but they didn't look as awesome as yours. Mmmmm.
Thx man, it turned out great. Oh I know about my name....it's stupid as hell. That's what you get for choosing a stupid name for a site you only thought you would visit once or twice.... Damn you DTF!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #526 on: May 25, 2020, 06:58:17 AM »
Got some fresh chicken wings from the Butcher Saturday morning, and learned the trick of dusting them with baking powder to get a crispiness from baking as good as deep frying - helps that I have a convection oven too.  Damn they were good.  No going back to prepared frozen wings ever again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #527 on: March 01, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
Got Chimichangas for dinner tonight. They were delicious

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2021, 05:25:25 PM »
I don't have a picture, because I'm bad at taking pictures, but I had a vegetarian crepe (filled with mushrooms, peppers, onions, tomatoes, avocados) and a smores crepe from this place called Crepes Maison in Cypress, CA.  It's run by one guy, but he made some pretty darn good crepes that I don't mind driving 10 miles to come back to.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #529 on: March 04, 2021, 12:14:23 PM »
Got some fresh chicken wings from the Butcher Saturday morning, and learned the trick of dusting them with baking powder to get a crispiness from baking as good as deep frying - helps that I have a convection oven too.  Damn they were good.  No going back to prepared frozen wings ever again.

I coat mine in a mix of corn starch and whatever rub I'm using. I put them out on my Weber Kettle running on lump charcoal and they come out amazing. There's an audible crunch when biting into them, and it's not a burnt crunch. I'll have to give baking powder a try. Does the baking powder add any kind of flavor? The corn starch adds none of any kind.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #530 on: March 04, 2021, 01:05:22 PM »
Interesting... I may have to try that as well.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #531 on: March 04, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
I've heard both, and neither will affect the flavor in any way.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #532 on: March 07, 2021, 05:34:10 PM »
What's that cone in the center there keeping the charcoal?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #533 on: March 07, 2021, 07:07:54 PM »
It's called the Vortex. It concentrates all the heat through the smaller opening at the top, and the heat evenly travels around the walls of the grill. Think of it like a volcano going off, but for some reason there's no lava coming out of it. It gives the grill a convection-like effect and can get up to 600°F if you need it too. I've put a pizza stone over it and done a pie that way. It comes out great. If you've got a Kettle, I'd highly recommend getting a Vortex. It's probably my most used/favorite accessory I have for the thing.

However, the heat it throws off can really fuck up the stock grate. I bought a heavier duty one that you can actually remove the center from just for this purpose. I leave it in though because I don't run it at full airflow and it allows me to cook more wings at a time.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #534 on: March 12, 2021, 10:50:39 AM »
Anyone here ever have "pork shank"? I've never seen these before but figured I'd give them a go tonight. Not sure what to expect.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 11:01:24 AM by Chino »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #535 on: March 12, 2021, 10:54:04 AM »
Nope, but looks good.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #536 on: March 12, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
We served those at my last job, pretty dope product, enjoy.

If you dig that, then look into the wonderful world of braising, the only cooking method sexier than smoking in my humble opinion.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #537 on: March 17, 2021, 01:27:29 PM »
Does the baking powder add any kind of flavor? The corn starch adds none of any kind.

Hadn't popped in her for a while.  Short answer, no.  For some reason, it doesn't agree with jingle.son - he had massive gastrointestinal issues after eating them.  Oh well, his loss.  I did find using too much baking powder does make them a little 'starchy'.  No noticable flavour issues, just a subtly different kind of texture or crisp to them than deep frying would bring about.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: March 17, 2021, 03:54:23 PM »
Hadn't popped in her for a while.

Try slowing down. Sometimes you can intensify the sensation more by going easy. It might get the job done.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #539 on: March 18, 2021, 04:48:49 AM »

Try slowing down. Sometimes you can intensify the sensation more by going easy. It might get the job done.

:rollin :rollin  Amazing how much of a difference one letter can make!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #540 on: May 10, 2021, 07:57:54 PM »
Last three posts... :rollin

So we went out for dinner last night and the restaurant/tavern we went to...well I ordered fries with my burger and goddamn, they were the crunchy battered fries.

@Lonestar....why do places do this?

Is it too much to ask to simply slice a fucking potato and deep fry it? What goes into thinking that they should be dipped in some sort of batter?
I start to question whether there are even potatoes in there in the first place.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #541 on: May 10, 2021, 08:51:50 PM »
If it's what I'm thinking it's actually a bought fry from lamb and Wesson, they use potato starch on the outside to enhance the crispness. Doing in house fries is a shit ton of labor, so they've taken all types of paths to enhance the purchased product

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #542 on: May 12, 2021, 04:07:51 PM »
OK..that makes sense. The L&W fries are awful. My wife bought them once when they were on sale.

They just come across like fake fries.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #543 on: May 12, 2021, 04:29:16 PM »

And thinking about the in-laws.  :lol

Some of the best fries I ever had was at a Lebanese restaurant in my hometown of Lawrence, Ma.  Bishops was the restaurant.  Sinfully great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #544 on: June 06, 2021, 04:25:58 PM »
OK guys, how about a little informal DTF Food Poll..

So my wife and I are complete opposites on a number of things.

When you guys go to the deli, do you order Sliced Meat (which is what my wife calls what she buys) or Cold Cuts (which is what I call what I buy)?

Also, when boneless chicken breast is on sale at the store, I'm sure you all are like us, where we buy 3 or 4 packages and freeze it. Before you freeze it, do you trim it up first (what I do) or do you just freeze the breast without trimming it first, only to have to do it when you cook it (what my wife does)?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #545 on: June 06, 2021, 04:37:18 PM »

When you guys go to the deli, do you order Sliced Meat (which is what my wife calls what she buys) or Cold Cuts (which is what I call what I buy)?
I buy specific things. It's smoked turkey, or roast beef, etc.  I suppose when I have referred to them collectively I've used "deli meats."

Also, when boneless chicken breast is on sale at the store, I'm sure you all are like us, where we buy 3 or 4 packages and freeze it. Before you freeze it, do you trim it up first (what I do) or do you just freeze the breast without trimming it first, only to have to do it when you cook it (what my wife does)?
First off, buy thighs.

Secondly, when I did buy chicken breasts to stick in the freezer, I individually vac-packed them, so it made since to clean/trim them then. The other option was to clean/trim/slice them and then freeze them vac-packed with marinade. Forty five minutes of prep and I could have a dozen individual packages of chicken ready to hit the wok or the grill in five minutes.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #546 on: June 06, 2021, 05:24:37 PM »
I've called it lunch meat my whole life

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #547 on: June 06, 2021, 05:39:44 PM »
"deli meats."

lunch meat

:tup :tup

First off, buy thighs.

Secondly, when I did buy chicken breasts to stick in the freezer, I individually vac-packed them, so it made since to clean/trim them then. The other option was to clean/trim/slice them and then freeze them vac-packed with marinade. Forty five minutes of prep and I could have a dozen individual packages of chicken ready to hit the wok or the grill in five minutes.

My wife will buy thighs once in a while, usually if we're going to have a party/cookout. They're not something we regularly eat though.

We don't have a vac pak. My wife is the cook. She'll usually defrost/marinate.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #548 on: June 06, 2021, 06:02:34 PM »
When you guys go to the deli...

I get all my food from the grocery store, which, of course has a deli section, but if you mean an actual deli, I am not sure I have been to a deli in my life.

I am certain I have never used the words "cold cuts." 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #549 on: June 06, 2021, 06:05:10 PM »
When you guys go to the deli...

I get all my food from the grocery store, which, of course has a deli section, but if you mean an actual deli, I am not sure I have been to a deli in my life.

I am certain I have never used the words "cold cuts."

Yeah, I was assuming the grocery store section generally, but I suppose it doesn't matter.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #550 on: June 06, 2021, 06:14:49 PM »
Deli meat.

And Bart is right, buy thighs. I never freeze personally, but it really doesn't matter whether you trim before or after.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #551 on: June 06, 2021, 07:27:41 PM »
Deli meat.

:tup

I never freeze personally, but it really doesn't matter whether you trim before or after.

Even though we can find a store with chicken breast on sale each week, we usually buy in multiples.
And I know it doesn't matter, I was just wondering what peoples' habits are as my wife and I take opposite approaches.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #552 on: June 06, 2021, 08:42:44 PM »
If you're buying tray packs, then take it out of the tray, trim it, throw it in a ziplok bag and squeeze as much air as you can out of it before sealing (a good trick is to submerge it in water up to the zipper part so the water pushes all the air out). If you're buying something already vacuum sealed, leave it and freeze it as such.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: June 06, 2021, 08:50:54 PM »

Never used the term cold cuts but that seems more an American term?  Over here we just say deli meats normally.

I eat a lot of chicken breast but I hate freezing it.  Maybe it's psychosomatic but I just find it never cooks or taste as good after being frozen.  I just buy it as I need it regardless of price.  If I were freezing though, I would normally cut and trim first before freezing.  Do it all at once and that would make it easy when getting it out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #554 on: June 07, 2021, 09:43:25 AM »
I've always called them "cold cuts" maybe thats a northeast US regional thing?  I've heard people say deli meats, but that's not the norm over here.

As for freezing chicken, if it's in a sealed bag, I do nothing just throw the whole bag into the freezer (costco sells those 3 packs of chicken, I cut them to seperate the 3 bags and into the freezer they go).  If I got to a local mart, I'lll pop them into a freezer bag myself but I don't trim or clean them.  In fact, I don't think I ever clean my chicken.  I don't normally trim them either unless it's really fatty.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »
Ok, for the few of you not on my IG or FB, I had to break out the A game for a score of some very rare fresh Copper River salmon. For those not familiar, it's a river in Alaska, and the run of salmon up there is very, very limited. To get it fresh the window is about a month long. Due to the cold waters and strenuous swim, the salmon have a rare combo of being extra firm and extra fatty. It's some seriously got tier stuff, and I normally am not a salmon fan... served here with a saute of fingerling potatoes, hen of the wood mushrooms, caramelized onion, and a grape must reduction...

So fucking good...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #556 on: June 14, 2021, 09:06:31 AM »
That looks great, I hardly eat fish, but if I do it's usually salmon which I really enjoy so I'd probably love that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #557 on: June 14, 2021, 09:19:45 AM »
That looks great, I hardly eat fish, but if I do it's usually salmon which I really enjoy so I'd probably love that.

This stuff is seriously next teir, such a clean flavor.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #558 on: June 14, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Looks like sperm circling the plate!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #559 on: June 14, 2021, 09:26:07 AM »
 :lol