Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 80041 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #455 on: April 13, 2020, 09:41:54 PM »
I was thinking small hunk of tenderloin, I cut them into thirds for solo dining, but you're right. Far too many slices for that to be a partial tenderloin.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #456 on: April 14, 2020, 08:01:14 AM »
You guys would certainly know better than me, I didn't do the food shopping or know there was a difference :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #457 on: April 14, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
I cook pork tenderloin several times a year but don't know much about pork loin except that it's probably a bit more flavorful since tenderloin is the leanest cut of pork just like how it is on a cow as well. So basically, I'm saying your dish probably blows the healthy dishes I make out of the water, especially with that bangin pan sauce.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: April 14, 2020, 04:06:35 PM »
This is the second ravioli pizza post I've seen today. It's a sign ...

Highly recommended and I'm sure you could do it even better.  We still can't stop talking about how good that was. I think we may make it again this weekend since we have enough left over ingredients to make another.

One dish I've been making a lot over this stay home time is a breakfast bake for dinner.  Super easy and very delicious.  Essentially baking some cut potatos with onions, peppers, and garlic in oil/salt/pepper until mostly done then throwing on top a couple eggs and either sausage or pork roll.  Then throwing cheese, scallions, and some jalapenos onto it for the final bake to melt the cheese.   :metal :metal  I just prepped all the veggies and potatos to make one for later.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #459 on: April 14, 2020, 05:02:10 PM »
My dough/yeast skills are pretty weak tbh...something I was thinking about working on during this time of unemployment, but alas, there's no flour or yeast to be found anywhere.

As to the pork loin/tenderloin talk, it's a very simple difference....

Here's a pork porterhouse...

The small side is the tenderloin, and is the same cut as a cow's tenderloin. The large side is the pork loin, and is the same as a strip loin/New York on a cow. They both are similar tastewise, and as with any pork, need help to really bring it out (brining/rubs/seasoning/sauces). The loin can be smoked, cured (proper canadian bacon uses the loin and cures it), hard roasted, and used for cold sliced pork. The tenderloin will get destroyed by a long smoke, I've never cured it but can't imagine it working too hot. It works better with a hard sear and served medium rare, brines and sauces are the tenderloins best friends.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #460 on: April 14, 2020, 05:20:53 PM »
Oh, it's a T-bone! I never thought about it like that.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #461 on: April 14, 2020, 05:23:28 PM »

Highly recommended and I'm sure you could do it even better.  We still can't stop talking about how good that was. I think we may make it again this weekend since we have enough left over ingredients to make another.

One dish I've been making a lot over this stay home time is a breakfast bake for dinner.  Super easy and very delicious.  Essentially baking some cut potatos with onions, peppers, and garlic in oil/salt/pepper until mostly done then throwing on top a couple eggs and either sausage or pork roll.  Then throwing cheese, scallions, and some jalapenos onto it for the final bake to melt the cheese.   :metal :metal  I just prepped all the veggies and potatos to make one for later.
You left out the part where you serve it in warm flour tortillas. Otherwise it sounds perfect. Oh yeah, consider Mexican chorizo for your sausage.
E.F. Benson

• DT.net Member
« Reply #462 on: April 14, 2020, 06:46:42 PM »
Here's a pork porterhouse

*porkterhouse

Awesomely informative post.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #463 on: April 14, 2020, 07:10:01 PM »
Oh, it's a T-bone! I never thought about it like that.

Nope, there's actually a difference between the T-bone and the porterhouse. Below is pictured a whole beef short loin (one from a pig is very similar in shape), on the top side you can see the complete tenderloin, and the bottom is the complete loin. There's a standard for how much of the tenderloin is on the cut for it to be considered a porterhouse (for beef it has to be 1.5 inch out from the bone, not sure what it is for pork). After it gets too small, then it goes to being a T-bone. On a beef short loin, you can usually get 5-7 1" thick porterhouse steaks before it gets too small.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: April 14, 2020, 07:36:43 PM »

You left out the part where you serve it in warm flour tortillas. Otherwise it sounds perfect. Oh yeah, consider Mexican chorizo for your sausage.

The potatoes are already way too many carbs to add tortillas, but I've eaten it with wheat toast a few times.  Chorizo is something I'm working on, been eating that more often than breakfast sausage lately just not in this meal.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #465 on: April 19, 2020, 12:20:25 AM »
The last bunch of saturdays my date and I have been making home cooked pizzas.  I had an idea after many drinks one night while making a pepperoni pizza to put mini raviolis in vodka sauce for a pizza topping... and we made it happen last night.  With some pancetta, globs of ricotta, and shredded mozzarella.  :metal :metal It came out so damn good

Took some inspiration from this for our now weekly pizza night. My dad conveniently made ravioli in vodka sauce for dinner the other night and there was leftover sauce so half of one of our pies was vodka sauce and tortellini. It came out pretty good, but the winner of the night was my other creation. pesto, sauteed eggplant, sauteed garlic, and ricotta.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #466 on: April 19, 2020, 05:24:50 PM »
Lemon Ricotta pasta with bacon and tomatoes. 

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #467 on: April 19, 2020, 05:26:24 PM »
:drool:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #468 on: April 19, 2020, 07:08:55 PM »
Fuck, that looks good, Joe.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: April 19, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »
Light and refreshing. I really liked it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #470 on: April 19, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
Light pasta is an oxymoron.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: April 19, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
No.  Ration the portions and it really was a refreshing take. I spent $2.50 on the pasta. It's like fresh made.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #472 on: April 19, 2020, 07:36:14 PM »
Seriously, Pasta kills me. Damn diabetes. Whole wheat pasta absorbs much better, but even still, I typically just try to steer clear of it all together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #473 on: April 19, 2020, 07:44:31 PM »
Oh definitely with diabetes.  I get that. The wife and I have been buying either high end pasta or wheat pasta.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #474 on: April 21, 2020, 07:53:32 PM »
Another shitty night of quarantine meals...

Alaskan Halibut, east coast scallops, chard, potatoes, portabella and bacon saute.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #475 on: April 21, 2020, 08:46:31 PM »
Looks awesome. Serious question here, do you actually eat dinners that small or is it usually accompanied by something else?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2020, 09:07:05 PM »
That's a six ounce piece of fish, three good sized scallops, potatoes and a whole bunch of chard wilted between two plates. I think that's a more than adequate meal.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #477 on: April 21, 2020, 09:44:08 PM »
Maybe the lighting or closeness of the pic made it look smaller than it is to me.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #478 on: April 21, 2020, 10:17:22 PM »
Yeah, I think the angle and that it's a pretty deep bowl makes it look deceiving.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2020, 10:48:09 PM »
Yeah, I think the angle and that it's a pretty deep bowl makes it look deceiving.
That, and also high-end cuisine like that often seems to be served in pretty small portions. Thought that doesn't look small at all if that's a six oz hunk of fish.
E.F. Benson

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #480 on: April 22, 2020, 12:45:59 AM »
RJ, I think I'm going to make some steak au poivre later this week for my birthday. Any tips?
Photobucket sucks.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #481 on: April 22, 2020, 05:01:22 AM »
RJ, I think I'm going to make some steak au poivre later this week for my birthday. Any tips?

Fly RJ out to NJ to cook it for you?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #482 on: April 22, 2020, 07:00:35 AM »
Airfare's probably cheap enough :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #483 on: April 22, 2020, 07:35:12 AM »
I checked yesterday, it was running around 240 to NY  :lol

Tips? First, buy good meat. Get a prime grade or wagyu, or buy it from a specialty butcher. Season the meat a bit ahead of time, the salt will dry out the meat a touch and help the peppercorns stick to it better. I'd also season just one side personally, I find both sides is just too overpowering. If you can find demi glace, that'll make a massive difference too, I do believe whole foods carries small portions of it. High heat, peppercorn side of the steak first to get a really good crust on the pan. When the steak is done, saute diced shallots and garlic in the pan, add some thyme then deglaze with brandy and reduce, add the demi, some creme fraiche or cream (i personally prefer creme fraiche) and some peppercorns until the sauce is a proper consistency. Taste and season.

Some nice potatoes lyonaisse will finish out the French feel of the meal, and a good bordeaux or California Cab to smooth out the meal.

6am and I'm hungry af now. Thanks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #484 on: April 23, 2020, 10:18:51 AM »
Coworker brought a bottle to work on Tuesday; been wanting to try it for years, so after tasting it, I immediately ordered a bottle. I have zero tolerance for spicy things and don't usually eat hot sauce whatsoever, but things that are comically hot, like this? Yeah, I'll put myself through the ridiculous pain, because it's fun  :lol

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »
I miss spicy food, my anus cannot handle it though

• DT.net Member
« Reply #486 on: April 23, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
Same, bro  :'( Fuckin sucks too cuz I have really good spice tolerance.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #487 on: April 23, 2020, 02:05:40 PM »
It's the heartburn that gets me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: April 23, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »
Same, bro  :'( Fuckin sucks too cuz I have really good spice tolerance.

Yea, I really enjoyed some good spicy food and I only started eating some indian food over the last few years but that stuff is just not good for my body so I've sadly adjusted to a spicey foodless life.  I do still eat mild jalapeno peppers though, that seems to be enough spice to not upset me, same with cholula sauce and other more mild hot sauces.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #489 on: April 23, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »
Coworker brought a bottle to work on Tuesday; been wanting to try it for years, so after tasting it, I immediately ordered a bottle. I have zero tolerance for spicy things and don't usually eat hot sauce whatsoever, but things that are comically hot, like this? Yeah, I'll put myself through the ridiculous pain, because it's fun  :lol

Did you watch Hot Ones? I couldn't find the Last Dab but I tried Da Bomb once and man, it hurt but I was able to handle it for the most part. I'd love to try The Last Dab.
fanticide.bandcamp.com