Author Topic: Official food thread v. Jingle.star  (Read 80334 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Official food thread v. Jingle.star
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2021, 09:42:54 AM »
RJ, do you sear the salmon?  What did you cook it in the oven on?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2021, 09:45:40 AM »
RJ, do you sear the salmon?  What did you cook it in the oven on?

Do a sear in a hot pan, but not smoking, on each side to get the proper color, then finish in the oven, about 450 for five or so minutes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2021, 09:58:51 AM »
I usually do the lazy man way.   In foil on the grill.  Lay it on asparagus, add butter, lemon, pepper and a sprig of dill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2021, 11:45:11 AM »
I usually do the lazy man way.   In foil on the grill.  Lay it on asparagus, add butter, lemon, pepper and a sprig of dill.

Yeah, I often throw it on the grill in foil myself.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2021, 06:58:01 PM »
I am not a foodie. I would be happy with a bag of Doritos and a Coke for dinner. Whenever people were talking about Wagyu, I had to look up what that was. That being said, I do not get the fascination with salmon. It is a big part of our economy up here, so that informs its local popularity a bit. But just the taste... I cannot get why it is so popular.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2021, 07:00:46 PM »
I am not a foodie. I would be happy with a bag of Doritos and a Coke for dinner. Whenever people were talking about Wagyu, I had to look up what that was.

I agree. The only way I like my tenderloin or ribeye is sliced thin between two slices of bread and a glob of Hellman's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2021, 07:09:35 PM »
I am not a foodie. I would be happy with a bag of Doritos and a Coke for dinner. Whenever people were talking about Wagyu, I had to look up what that was.

I agree. The only way I like my tenderloin or ribeye is sliced thin between two slices of bread and a glob of Hellman's.

Sigh.... I don't know man, guess we're just creatures of a different type. For me there are very few pleasures in life like good quality ingredients taken to the peak of their potential. A dear friend of mine and I are currently trying to score reservations to the French Laundry in Yountville, arguably one of the best restaurants in the US over the last 15 years or so. It's a 3 Michelin star place, and it's chef Thomas Keller revolutionized and defined restaurant dining for a generation. It's number one on my bucket list. The price tag will be 350/person before tip, probably 450 after, and I will gladly pay every penny of that for the experience.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #567 on: June 14, 2021, 07:15:27 PM »
I mean I love Salmon when it comes to stuff like sushi (Philadelphia rolls, baby) and poke, but I don't know if I would go out of my way to spend like $20+ to get a high quality salmon topped off with solid sides and all.  Then again, I'm also of a different kind that will be more frugal when it comes to the stuff I buy when I get takeout.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #568 on: June 14, 2021, 07:19:25 PM »

Sigh.... I don't know man, guess we're just creatures of a different type. For me there are very few pleasures in life like good quality ingredients taken to the peak of their potential. A dear friend of mine and I are currently trying to score reservations to the French Laundry in Yountville, arguably one of the best restaurants in the US over the last 15 years or so. It's a 3 Michelin star place, and it's chef Thomas Keller revolutionized and defined restaurant dining for a generation. It's number one on my bucket list. The price tag will be 350/person before tip, probably 450 after, and I will gladly pay every penny of that for the experience.

WTF are you going to buy for $350? I suppose if you have it, it's like buying tickets to the superbowl I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: June 14, 2021, 07:28:57 PM »
I had a Wagyu meatloaf dinner for $22.  Totally worth it. That was a steal.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #570 on: June 14, 2021, 07:45:52 PM »
If Wagyu is that special, why would you have it in meatloaf? Why would anyone have meatloaf?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: June 14, 2021, 07:55:34 PM »
Tim, hating on meatloaf?

Did you sell your tastebuds and soul to the devil?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #572 on: June 14, 2021, 08:00:03 PM »
Meatloaf is like a hamburger cake, which on the surface doesn't sound that bad, but with fillers and extenders it just makes it gross.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #573 on: June 15, 2021, 04:50:54 AM »
Why would anyone have meatloaf?

It's no coincidence we get on so well.  Quote of the day.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #574 on: June 15, 2021, 06:06:14 AM »
Ok, for the few of you not on my IG or FB, I had to break out the A game for a score of some very rare fresh Copper River salmon. For those not familiar, it's a river in Alaska, and the run of salmon up there is very, very limited. To get it fresh the window is about a month long. Due to the cold waters and strenuous swim, the salmon have a rare combo of being extra firm and extra fatty. It's some seriously got tier stuff, and I normally am not a salmon fan... served here with a saute of fingerling potatoes, hen of the wood mushrooms, caramelized onion, and a grape must reduction...

So fucking good...

I saw this on IG and it looks amazing. I need to fire up some salmon soon.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: June 15, 2021, 07:36:59 AM »
I'm a meatloaf fan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2021, 09:06:54 AM »
Ok, for the few of you not on my IG or FB, I had to break out the A game for a score of some very rare fresh Copper River salmon. For those not familiar, it's a river in Alaska, and the run of salmon up there is very, very limited. To get it fresh the window is about a month long. Due to the cold waters and strenuous swim, the salmon have a rare combo of being extra firm and extra fatty. It's some seriously got tier stuff, and I normally am not a salmon fan... served here with a saute of fingerling potatoes, hen of the wood mushrooms, caramelized onion, and a grape must reduction...

So fucking good...

I saw this on IG and it looks amazing. I need to fire up some salmon soon.

The copper river salmon company approved with a like and comment on my post  :biggrin:

WTF are you going to buy for $350? I suppose if you have it, it's like buying tickets to the superbowl I guess.

The meal is a twelve course experience spanning over 2 hours. It's not your average dinner. The most I ever spent on tickets was 330 to see Waters The Wall show. I would definitely relate this experience to that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #577 on: June 15, 2021, 09:12:24 AM »
It's just about what you are passionate about.  I may not want to spend $300 on a dinner, but if someone else does, that's all good. Doesn't impact me.  I spend money on my computer that someone else probably scratches their head thinking what a waste, but it's what I am passionate about.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #578 on: June 15, 2021, 09:15:26 AM »
Exactly. Do an image search of French Laundry food and check out their stuff. Straight up works of art.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: June 15, 2021, 09:21:28 AM »
Tim still wears his Mickey Mouse shirt from his teens still. (Fucking skinny bastard :lol) so that's all he knows about Laundry and food combined.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #580 on: June 15, 2021, 09:29:38 AM »
I still eat Steak-ums!!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: June 15, 2021, 09:52:37 AM »
I still eat Steak-ums!!

:lol haven't had those in years, but they are good

I've honestly haven't come close to really enjoying food to it's fullest.  I'm kind of content with what I typically eat.  But I do like to try out new things and especially when traveling to try and eat the local foods.  You probably won't see me eating Wagyu or Copper River Salmon other than a rare special occasion, but I'd imagine they are delicious and it seems totally "normal" IMO for people to want to try these out if you are a foodie. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: June 15, 2021, 09:58:05 AM »
I still eat Steak-ums!!

Remember Deviled Ham Spread?  Pure salt.  LOL

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #583 on: June 15, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »
I heard from a podcast of this Youtube/Twitch Streamer of how he spent $400.00 dining at this 3-star Michelin Restaurant in Chicago called Alinea and, to him, this was legit the best meal he has ever had and that it wasn't just the quality of food that was worth the price, but how the waiters presented where it's like a show or art that makes the dining experience as well.

I can understand spending a lot of money on something other people wouldn't do.  I spent $250.00 back in 2019 to go to the Alter Bridge listening party to hear their latest album, at the time, a month before it went out in stores and get to meet the band for a brief moment and see them play a brief live set (which at the time, it was almost two years since they played a show).  It wouldn't be worth it to anyone, but to a long-time fan like me who was willing and wanting to travel out-of-state, that was an opportunity I don't want to miss.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #584 on: June 15, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
Steak guys might eat wagyu
Car guys might rent a Ferrari
Gun guys might rent time on a gatling gun
Music buffs might buy VIP packages
Thrill seekers might jump out of a plane   

Everyone's got something they'd be willing to splurge on to experience before they die. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: June 15, 2021, 11:20:40 AM »
Steak guys might eat wagyu
Car guys might rent a Ferrari
Gun guys might rent time on a gatling gun
Music buffs might buy VIP packages
Thrill seekers might jump out of a plane   

Everyone's got something they'd be willing to splurge on to experience before they die.

Yup, the only difference is that us as humans, we all eat food and therefore we all have opinions on it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #586 on: June 15, 2021, 11:48:07 AM »
Exactly. Do an image search of French Laundry food and check out their stuff. Straight up works of art.

The French Laundry is still on my bucket list of places to visit. My wife and I had reservations but had to cancel (and cancel the vacation along with it) because of covid.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #587 on: June 15, 2021, 11:48:55 AM »
I still eat Steak-ums!!

My mom used to make a version of deviled ham spread by taking a meat grinder and grinding up leftover ham, mix it with a little mustard and send me to school with a sammich for lunch.

Good eatin baby!  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #588 on: June 15, 2021, 11:56:09 AM »

The French Laundry is still on my bucket list of places to visit. My wife and I had reservations but had to cancel (and cancel the vacation along with it) because of covid.

Heartbreaking.

I heard from a podcast of this Youtube/Twitch Streamer of how he spent $400.00 dining at this 3-star Michelin Restaurant in Chicago called Alinea and, to him, this was legit the best meal he has ever had and that it wasn't just the quality of food that was worth the price, but how the waiters presented where it's like a show or art that makes the dining experience as well.

Alinea, and it's chef Grant Achatz, is what the next generation of chefs will model their highest talent after. What he does with food is borderline impossible. Not just that, but what he's been through in his career makes him one of the most intriguing people in the culinary world. He went through a severe bout with mouth cancer where they gave him a 50% chance of living, and even then it would be without his tongue or half his jaw. He lost his ability to taste for a time, and still ran a 3 star michelin restaurant WITHOUT HIS FUCKING SENSE OF TASTE. That's Beethoven level shit. There's a great documentary on him on Netflix that I'd suggest to everyone...It's on season 2 of Chef's Table

Here's a sample of Alinea, the final course of a twenty course dinner... https://youtu.be/qofsdSMuGbg

« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 12:05:11 PM by lonestar »

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #589 on: June 15, 2021, 12:15:17 PM »
Not shown: How do you eat the damn thing?  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #590 on: June 15, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »

Right off the table yo.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: June 15, 2021, 12:35:04 PM »

Like a man. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #592 on: June 15, 2021, 12:40:47 PM »
I still eat Steak-ums!!

We didn't have that, but there was plenty of Spam in my house growing up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 15, 2021, 12:47:10 PM »
My younger brother was ruthless to my parents with the dinners made.  Once my parents found a new recipe, we'd have the dish every week.  So I'd hear my brother say sarcastically, "We going to have Puff Chicken again?" :lol 

Then he'd call my mom's meatballs "Loafballs" because they tasted like my mom's meatloaf.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #594 on: June 15, 2021, 12:48:33 PM »
That's funny.  :lol