Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 446709 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Haken v. Virus (now June 19th)
« Reply #4235 on: May 24, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »
If I could actually make money by creating music, rather than teaching it, I would immediately jump at the opportunity.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4236 on: May 24, 2020, 12:11:26 PM »
Meh....I'm kinda with him.   I was in a grung-y (somewhat) band in the Seattle area in the early 90s that showed a bit of promise.   I was really proud of what we were making.   But one day I had a revelation that if we became successful, then making music would become my "job".    The idea honestly made me physically ill.   It just seemed wrong on every conceivable level.  That was one of several reasons I decided to quit the band.    I still occasionally write on my own, but if it was my job to write or make music, I would hate it, and I never want to be in a position where I hate making music. 
I seriously have a hard time understanding how the thought of making money doing what you love could be a turn-off to anyone, unless you were about to sign a contract with a major record label for years to come and you weren't sure you would enjoy making music as much in a couple of years..?

Anyway, I can almost guarantee you that a band of Haken's size would not be pushed into a musical direction they're not choosing themselves. I figured Roine would know that?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:33:34 PM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4237 on: May 24, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »
The last sentence got accidentally’d I think. Missing a ‘not’
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4238 on: May 24, 2020, 12:33:45 PM »
Oops, thanks! :laugh:
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #4239 on: May 24, 2020, 12:52:39 PM »
Does anyone know if Haken  plans to continue the tour with Devon or tour as a headliner.  I saw them with Bent Knee and Leporus at a 500 capacity crowd.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4240 on: May 24, 2020, 01:06:19 PM »
It’s just the thought that if your livelihood relied on you making music, you would have customers to answer to. If you happen to make something they don’t like, your means of living is jeopardized. I would never find it possible to organically create anything in that environment. The entire structure would be counter productive to creativity.  There would always be things I wish I could do and then run into “nah, no one would ever go for that.” It’s claustrophobic to even consider.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4241 on: May 24, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
It’s just the thought that if your livelihood relied on you making music, you would have customers to answer to. If you happen to make something they don’t like, your means of living is jeopardized. I would never find it possible to organically create anything in that environment. The entire structure would be counter productive to creativity.  There would always be things I wish I could do and then run into “nah, no one would ever go for that.” It’s claustrophobic to even consider.
That's the case for every career though.

Regardless of whether the "day job" (whether in an office, a building site or a band) means you have to answer to what your boss/customers want, you can also use solo albums and side projects where sales/finances don't really matter to be as creative as you like.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4242 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:43 PM »
I will obviously listen a lot more, but Invasion sounded good on the first listen. 

It is clear from hearing these first few songs from the album that they have found what they consider their sweet spot as far as their sound goes.
In terms of guitar tones, yeah that's probably right, but in pretty much all other regards I'd say the sound in Affinity is completely different to Vector and Virus. And in thr case of the latter, they intentionally wanted the same general sound (even though the music is more varied) as it's essentially part 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if the overall sound changes again in whatever they do next.

You removed "Very similar guitar tones, sound, mix and production to the previous two albums." from my quote, which was the key.  The mix and production of the two albums is extremely similar.  And these new songs have that same sound.  Note that I am talking mostly about the sound and production, not necessarily the style.
That's weird, I didn't intentionally delete anything from your quote. ??? :lol

So my response probably comes across pretty unclear - the part I was disagreeing with what the comparisons to Affinity, apart from guitar tones. Virus and Vector, absolutely, the sound is extremely similar as they are linked albums. But other than the guitar tones, the mix and general production approach on Affinity is very different.

Haha, all good. I didn't think ya did, as that never seems to be your M.O. :)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Re: Haken v. Virus (June 5th)
« Reply #4243 on: May 24, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I think RoeDent was saying that in response to this part of the quote:

I recommend; seek for  their album  *Aquarium* (I think)  -  before they got sucked into  the metal mainstream  and  super-edited productions -  Fantastic debut album !!!  - Great melodies & playing !! 
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4244 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:25 AM »
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious, but I think RoeDent was saying that in response to this part of the quote:

I recommend; seek for  their album  *Aquarium* (I think)  -  before they got sucked into  the metal mainstream  and  super-edited productions -  Fantastic debut album !!!  - Great melodies & playing !! 

Correct. He could have just recommended the album and stopped there, but nope. He had to insert that needless crap. If Haken are "mainstream", then mainstream is incredible! I wouldn't say they're any more "mainstream" than Roine's own band The Flower Kings. So on that front it's a bit hypocritical.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4245 on: May 25, 2020, 03:48:22 AM »
Well he said 'the metal mainstream and super-edited productions' which is something else than 'mainstream'. Their more recent albums, especially the guitar-driven songs, do sound like they try to cater to the 'metal' audience. And you can't really argue that Haken does have 'super-edited productions'.

That said, it's still pretty much a needless comment, and coming from a musician it almost reeks of jealousy. Haken are definitely more popular than they were a few years ago and, judging by their sizes on social media, they're also bigger than The Flower Kings are, so in that sense, yeah, Haken are 'more' mainstream, I guess.
Squ

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4246 on: May 25, 2020, 04:12:03 AM »
What I get from the quote, is that he has real admiration for Aquarius and is disappointed that he didn't get more music in that vein to listen to.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4247 on: May 25, 2020, 05:26:49 AM »
Okay, fair enough. Showing admiration is one thing, but adding the snarky comment afterwards is unnecessary. "You used to look good, but now you're fat and ugly." The first part of that sentence is quite nice, the second doesn't really help the first point.
Squ

Offline me7

« Reply #4248 on: May 25, 2020, 05:54:00 AM »
It's more like "You used to look good, but all that plastic surgery makes you uglier, not prettier."
I prefer that analogy for complaints about overproduced music.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4249 on: May 25, 2020, 06:13:01 AM »
That's a better way of wording it indeed, thanks :)
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4250 on: May 25, 2020, 07:48:27 AM »
I took it as Roine liking the band early on when the metal was not too dominant and the prog was heavy.  Roine is a major prog guy, and not a huge metal guy, so it's not surprising at all that he would prefer their album that was heavy on the prog and lighter on the metal (relative to their subsequent releases).  That is how I took it.

Offline me7

« Reply #4251 on: May 25, 2020, 08:24:16 AM »
I disagree on the logic that more metal implies less prog

:metal

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4252 on: May 25, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »
With their rhythmic interplay and tightness, Haken have been more progressive in recent times than the Flower Kings have ever been. Listen to any number of songs on Affinity, but especially something like The Endless Knot. Again, that's not a slight on TFK. They do what they do very well indeed.

Offline 425

« Reply #4253 on: May 25, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
I took it as Roine liking the band early on when the metal was not too dominant and the prog was heavy.  Roine is a major prog guy, and not a huge metal guy, so it's not surprising at all that he would prefer their album that was heavy on the prog and lighter on the metal (relative to their subsequent releases).  That is how I took it.

I'm not really sure that Aquarius is lighter on the metal, though. It's one of only two albums with substantial growling, and I think it has heavier riffs on the whole than The Mountain at least, and maybe Visions, too.

I mean, I completely believe that Aquarius is more Roine's style than any of the other albums. I'm just not sure about the metal vs. prog part. Tend to agree with me7 on that one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4254 on: May 25, 2020, 12:52:05 PM »
Okay, but I did not say that "more metal means less prog."

I said, "Roine is a major prog guy, and not a huge metal guy, so it's not surprising at all that he would prefer their album that was heavy on the prog and lighter on the metal (relative to their subsequent releases)."  All of their albums are heavy on the prog, IMO, but the first album seems a little lighter on the metal when compared to their other four albums (not counting the new one yet), even when factoring in the little bit of growling on it.

Offline 425

« Reply #4255 on: May 25, 2020, 12:55:45 PM »
Of course, sorry if it seemed I was accusing you of saying that!

I don't really have the same perception of the relative metal-ness of Aquarius, but I also don't really have a clear way to measure how "metal" something is, so I'm not inclined to argue the point.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4256 on: May 25, 2020, 12:58:22 PM »
No worries, I was just trying to clarify what I meant earlier.  All good.  :tup :tup

Offline me7

« Reply #4257 on: May 26, 2020, 09:03:50 AM »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4258 on: May 29, 2020, 07:28:54 AM »
Porty posted this on his Instagram: (https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwp3yqjxXi/)
"I know I’m not supposed to be prematurely hyping this as it’s still not coming out for a few more weeks...but I spent some time with this masterpiece tonight and I couldn’t contain my excitement...
You already know how much I love @haken_official...my “Band of the Decade”, and my backup band for my Shattered Fortress tour a few years ago (#justiceforray)...but man, they knocked it outta the park with this new one!! Wow...🤯
Continuing to push the boundaries of Prog & Metal...
Congrats to my friends @rosswjennings @charlie_griffiths_haken @rich_henshall @rayhaken @connergreenbass @diegotejeida 🙏😘" (and I won't take it seriously, because I can't. I respect his opinion though, biased as it probably is)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4259 on: May 29, 2020, 08:09:00 AM »
Not sure what you mean by biased, but he is obviously a massive fanboy and so yeah obviously it doesn't mean everyone will love it. :lol

If anyone could be accused of having a reason to be biased, it's me, but I don't think I am. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4260 on: May 29, 2020, 09:59:47 AM »
Music opinions don't mean a whole lot anyway when it comes to forming your own.  I'm glad MP likes it, I expect it to be a good one based not on his review, but everyone's been pretty positive about it and the singles have been good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4261 on: May 29, 2020, 12:12:17 PM »
Yeah, for all of the shit many of us give Portnoy, most of it deserved :P, he is still a big music fan and that is Mike Portnoy the music fan talking there, so I don't see the problem there.  Sure, they are his buddies and he no doubt wants to help them as much as he can, but I don't think he'd gush online about an album being great if he didn't really think that. 

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4262 on: May 29, 2020, 02:22:08 PM »
Mike Portnoy's statement is only making me just a little more excited than before, because I am way too hyped for Virus already (and that's almost solely for Messiah Complex alone). I just want June 19th to get here already!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4263 on: May 29, 2020, 07:20:31 PM »
Just noticed the change in the release date.  What happened, production delay?   :sadpanda:

Really like "Invasion"  best of the 3 for me.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4264 on: May 29, 2020, 09:41:37 PM »
A lot of people have speculated that they had issues shipping the physical copies by the 5th of June because of the coronavirus, but I don't know if that's been officially confirmed by the band or InsideOut.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4265 on: May 29, 2020, 10:12:52 PM »
I got an email about the release date change. That's unfortunate, but guess I can wait two more weeks. Don't know how the world will be by then though.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4266 on: May 29, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
Porty posted this on his Instagram: (https://www.instagram.com/p/CAwp3yqjxXi/)
"I know I’m not supposed to be prematurely hyping this as it’s still not coming out for a few more weeks...but I spent some time with this masterpiece tonight and I couldn’t contain my excitement...
You already know how much I love @haken_official...my “Band of the Decade”, and my backup band for my Shattered Fortress tour a few years ago (#justiceforray)...but man, they knocked it outta the park with this new one!! Wow...🤯
Continuing to push the boundaries of Prog & Metal...
Congrats to my friends @rosswjennings @charlie_griffiths_haken @rich_henshall @rayhaken @connergreenbass @diegotejeida 🙏😘" (and I won't take it seriously, because I can't. I respect his opinion though, biased as it probably is)

At least his comment about this one is more mature than the one about Vector, where he said something like "so proud of my boys" and it even ended up on the hype sticker of the album :lol

Also, some guy accused MP of nepotism, thinking this was an album by Next To None... He made MP veery angry  :lol

Let’s get something straight...me posting about my kids is not “nepotism”, it’s called being a good parent & a proud father! (See this idiot’s tweet at me) 😡😡 So if you don’t want to ever see posts about Melody Portnoy, Max Portnoy or Tallah, please unfollow me NOW!! 👋‬
any rock can be made to roll

Offline DTA

« Reply #4267 on: May 30, 2020, 06:27:49 AM »
You can't blame a guy for plugging his kids' bands. And family or not, MP has always hyped up bands/artists that he likes, which is something I've always appreciated him for. I doubt Haken, Opeth, Neal Morse, Roine Stolt, or Steven Wilson would have the careers they have now without his involvement back then.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4268 on: May 30, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »
Haken were doing fine before Portnoy showed up.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4269 on: May 30, 2020, 08:25:40 AM »
Yeah, let's not starting acting like those bands wouldn't have "made it" without Portnoy.