Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489733 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5810 on: December 27, 2019, 08:20:32 AM »
And the level design confuses the hell out of me  :P

Yeah, the maps are huge and twist around a lot. The platforming puzzles can be quite difficult to figure out, but that's the one element of the game I enjoy the most.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5811 on: December 27, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
Omg omg omg God of War. I played a few hours yesterday, I got up to Tyr's Bridge at Aflheim before stopping for the night. That first hour of the game had my jaw on the floor. The cinematics are crazy. I shouldn't be surprised by the graphics but I am blown away by how beautiful this game is.

The way the cutscenes blend into gameplay and viceversa is amazing. And the cutscene direction itself is sublime as well, they handled the one shot concept extremely well. And in general the game is very beautiful indeed, the scope of some of the setpieces is insane.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5812 on: December 28, 2019, 01:56:10 PM »
Fallen Order is pretty decent.

I lost interest and stopped playing though sadly. And the level design confuses the hell out of me  :P    At some point I'm gonna try and get further in it.

I really hated the level design and backtracking. Even with the map I had problems navigating especially on the Wookie planet and the planet with those Darth Maul-looking people. It really killed exploration for Herrick. I had no interest in going back to those planets to look for collectibles that "reward" me with yet another ugly fuckin' poncho color.

I thought the combat was fucking awesome when fighting imperial enemies. Blocking blaster shots just felt fucking right. But I didn't like fighting animals and some of the later enemies.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5813 on: December 30, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »
I'm way late to the party here but I cannot stop playing with God of War's photo mode.

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5814 on: December 30, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »
That last one reminds me of RDR2 although it would be cool if I could carry a head on my character  :lol

I've been sick the last couple days so I've been playing even more RDR2 than I expected over the holiday break.  I think I played for 12 hours yesterday  :lol my character is becoming extremely powerful at level 50 now (since you can unlock the better ammo and passive abilities) that I just started intentionally killing everyone late last night after playing seriously for so long and no one could stop me.  This is why I've been grinding for so long in this game, to be powerful. 

Anyway, I put up the latest RDR2 video with Chino and I stealing boats and other stupid shit.  Red Dead Redemption 2 Online Fun Volume 3

Also included in that video is being locked in an office through a bug, the moment you realize you are trapped and have to kill yourself to get out:

I've got another video completed last night and sooooo many more clips I can just keep pumping these out.  Seems like I'm the only one who enjoys them (based on views and thumbs up) but whatever, it's fun to have the moments in game and then edit them together so if no one else likes it, whatever, it's fun to me.

Oh and one more thing to rave about in RDR2, they have the new Outlaw Season Pass 2 now.  Typically I don't buy these things, I hate in game purchases but for legit DLC I don't mind, but these are cosmetics and in game things that aren't terribly meaningful.  However, you can use in game gold to pay for it.  Since I've played so much, I didn't have to pay cash for the season pass and with my gold, I almost unlocked the entire thing (I think I'm level 80 of 100 on the season) which included so far 25 gold back which I was then able to buy the Moonshiners DLC.  How awesome is it that I don't even need to give Rockstar money for all the extras?  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5815 on: January 01, 2020, 05:04:54 PM »
I'm way late to the party here but I cannot stop playing with God of War's photo mode.

That middle photo is cool AF.

By the way, some of you are owed a thank you; I finally just bailed on Far Cry 2 (finished it without achievement-whoring) and started Far Cry 3, and it is SO MUCH BETTER.  This is a good game; or so it appears so far.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5816 on: January 01, 2020, 07:37:28 PM »
The gameplay was great in Farcry 3. The story was all kinds of hokey, but eh. Farcry 4 was more of the same, as was Farcry 5.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5817 on: January 02, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »
Spider-Man's photo mode is just as good as God of War's. Only complaint is that the frames are all kind of lame (but I usually only go for the cinema-style black bars, anyway).

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5818 on: January 03, 2020, 01:00:59 PM »
Okay, Spider-man took over my life this week, but I have a feeling I'll wrap it up tomorrow if not tonight. I might actually 100% it - I'm 75% complete.

I really want to start Red Dead this weekend but I know I gotta get through Horizon first. At the same time, I'm afraid I'll become addicted to Horizon and never get to Red Dead. If I like it a lot, it's going to be really hard to not do all the side stuff in HZD.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5819 on: January 03, 2020, 01:07:55 PM »
Too bad you aren't on PC to join the RDR2 posse

Now that I've got explosive and fire arrows, this game has gotten a lot more fun https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1212538076867842049

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5820 on: January 03, 2020, 01:09:29 PM »
Honestly, I don't even know if I'm gonna go back to PC gaming at this point, apart from emulation. I'm both surprised and sad by that revelation.  :| :(

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5821 on: January 03, 2020, 01:12:47 PM »
Honestly, I don't even know if I'm gonna go back to PC gaming at this point, apart from emulation. I'm both surprised and sad by that revelation.  :| :(

I'm saying the exact same thing about consoles now  :rollin I just got a PC a few months ago and like it so much more. I actually didn't renew my PS+ subscription for the first time since the service was made available. The only thing that might get me to buy a PS5 is the fact that GTA-IV will likely only be available on consoles for some time.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5822 on: January 03, 2020, 01:21:02 PM »
That is pretty funny. I think I'll get back into PC gaming eventually, since it was my life for all my teens and most of my 20s. Maybe the end of the next console generation I'll go balls to the wall and build a ridiculous rig again, and if we're all still PC gaming at that point I can finally join the fun  :lol  :tup

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5823 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:36 PM »

I'm saying the exact same thing about consoles now  :rollin I just got a PC a few months ago and like it so much more. I actually didn't renew my PS+ subscription for the first time since the service was made available. The only thing that might get me to buy a PS5 is the fact that GTA-IV will likely only be available on consoles for some time.

I held out for rdr2 and I think it was worth the wait. I'm not falling for that trick again to buy a console just for rockstar when the pc version will be available and the better experience. Plus while waiting you can play pc exclusives like mordhau which I played for the first time awhile last night.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5824 on: January 04, 2020, 09:16:11 PM »
I beat Spider-man this morning. The story was great, and the final act was just awesome. However I still have about 10 suits to unlock and I have quite literally done everything in the game other than silver and gold star the 'challenge' medals, so I need to research why they're not showing up (unless the DLC has 10 suits, because I haven't bought any of it yet). I got through it super fast because it was so addictive, I'm actually glad I'm done with it  :lol

Now I'm a couple hours into Horizon Zero Dawn. Such a beautiful game. I'm so impressed with the photo mode other than how it lacks film grain, which I loved using in a lot of my GoW and Spidey pics. Also, Aloy's facial expressions just don't look that good to me - however, the variety of poses is wonderful. Adds much more fun to the photo mode.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5825 on: January 04, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
I beat Spider-man this morning. The story was great, and the final act was just awesome. However I still have about 10 suits to unlock and I have quite literally done everything in the game other than silver and gold star the 'challenge' medals, so I need to research why they're not showing up (unless the DLC has 10 suits, because I haven't bought any of it yet). I got through it super fast because it was so addictive, I'm actually glad I'm done with it  :lol

Now I'm a couple hours into Horizon Zero Dawn. Such a beautiful game. I'm so impressed with the photo mode other than how it lacks film grain, which I loved using in a lot of my GoW and Spidey pics. Also, Aloy's facial expressions just don't look that good to me - however, the variety of poses is wonderful. Adds much more fun to the photo mode.
I've never been a fan of film grain in video games. It's kind of like using motion blur when there is an option to turn it off. It's just ugly, imo.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5826 on: January 05, 2020, 07:36:22 AM »

I've never been a fan of film grain in video games. It's kind of like using motion blur when there is an option to turn it off. It's just ugly, imo.

I only like it for taking action film-style shots (which, turns out, is quiteoften). Letterbox border, particular lighting, otherwise the film grain doesn't work so well imo. I'm with you on the motion blur though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5827 on: January 05, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
My friend redid his basement, got a new couch and put up shelving for his classic video game room.  It's insane how much old school games he has and how he has all the equipment for up scaling the old games to make them look as good as possible. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5828 on: January 05, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
That TV is too small for the distance to the chairs
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5829 on: January 05, 2020, 02:38:57 PM »
That looks sweet.  I hope he's saving his pennies for a good 70" Vizio though; it might be the picture on the screen, but it DOES look a little anti-climactic.  ;)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5830 on: January 05, 2020, 06:43:09 PM »
The gameplay was great in Farcry 3. The story was all kinds of hokey, but eh. Farcry 4 was more of the same, as was Farcry 5.

These games have fun gameplay but the stories were all pretty much forgettable for me. The villains are pretty annoying especially Vas & the Cult Clowns from FC5. And I always hated the drugged up parts.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5831 on: January 06, 2020, 06:01:45 AM »
Ubisoft needs to hire better writers and/or give them a bit more freedom to be honest. Mainly plot progression needs to be less systematic/clearly structured. Most modern Ubisoft games have several sections that you very clearly go to in a certain order, each with it's leader as the boss and the same mission structure leading up to that boss. And all sections are about as long, like a "monster of the week" tv series structure. At this point, the emphasis on that formula hurts their games. Witcher 3, for example, has several acts that feel distinct in terms of scenarios, pacing, atmosphere and how the open world is utilized (certain parts are more linear and closed off, others are open). And everything coherently leads up to several satisfying climaxes.

Assassins Creed Oddysey (I finished the core family story) has a couple of moments where things click, but also a lot of moments where the story is not that good and I don't know what the fuck is going on with the modern day storyline, even after googling it. Thankfully, the Assassins Creed games tend to be filled with colorful characters that I enjoy, so that helps a lot. And modern day is becoming less of a thing. Still, I think it is a good game and the gameplay is super addictive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5832 on: January 06, 2020, 06:33:26 AM »
That looks sweet.  I hope he's saving his pennies for a good 70" Vizio though; it might be the picture on the screen, but it DOES look a little anti-climactic.  ;)

The angle doesn't help the picture at all, but it is a bit smaller.  What you can't behind the lamp on the left is the 65 inch wall mounted tv and behind the couch on the right is another couch.  I think his wife had some input on which side of the basement got the bigger and better TV.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5833 on: January 06, 2020, 08:31:44 AM »
Phew! I finally defeated Taron Malicos in the boss battle on Dathomir. It took a shitload attempts to discover a weakness to exploit on this dude, but once I did, I got him the second try. If anyone else is playing Fallen Order and is struggling with this boss battle, I'd be happy to share what I learned.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5834 on: January 06, 2020, 11:07:26 AM »
Phew! I finally defeated Taron Malicos in the boss battle on Dathomir. It took a shitload attempts to discover a weakness to exploit on this dude, but once I did, I got him the second try. If anyone else is playing Fallen Order and is struggling with this boss battle, I'd be happy to share what I learned.

That was a bit of an annoying battle but not too bad. My big problem was the last Boss. It was very difficult for me to figure out when to parry when the Boss was twirling their lightsaber and spinning around and shit. I was playing on Jedi Master difficulty. I could only heal myself 3 times. I think you can have up to 5 or 6 health stims. I never found the rest of the upgrades because exploring those levels became a fucking chore.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5835 on: January 06, 2020, 11:50:55 AM »
I could only heal myself 3 times. I think you can have up to 5 or 6 health stims. I never found the rest of the upgrades because exploring those levels became a fucking chore.

Actually, I currently have 10 stims available. Exploration and platforming is one of my favorite parts of this game.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5836 on: January 06, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
I could only heal myself 3 times. I think you can have up to 5 or 6 health stims. I never found the rest of the upgrades because exploring those levels became a fucking chore.

Actually, I currently have 10 stims available. Exploration and platforming is one of my favorite parts of this game.

10 stims Good Lawd! You won't have too much trouble with the last Boss then.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5837 on: January 07, 2020, 05:24:12 AM »

10 stims Good Lawd! You won't have too much trouble with the last Boss then.

I find your overconfidence in my gaming skills disturbing. :bosky:

I'm the proverbial console newb. I've only ever played 3 games on my PS4 (HZD, Spider-man, Fallen Order) and it has taken me three years to do it.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5838 on: January 07, 2020, 01:48:53 PM »
Horizon Zero Dawn is an awesome game so far. I've no idea how long the story is, but I just made it to Meridian. However, one of the main story quests brought me to an area with monsters to kill who are level 18, and I was only level 12. So I actually high-tailed it back to the starting area of the game in order to do sidequests, because I basically hauled ass to Meridian and didn't take time to explore the wilderness. When it comes to open world games, I just want to get lost. I can already tell this game is going to keep me busy for a very very long time - I might have to juggle playing it with something else. I feel a compulsion to see every corner of the wilderness whether there's something interesting there or not.

One thing I do not like - and it's a problem with almost every open world game ever, except Breath of the Wild - is I end up turning my brain off, because I just follow the quest markers on screen. 1700 feet away... 1200... 700... almost at destination. Rinse and repeat. It's very hard for me to focus on the environment and immerse myself in the world this way, especially when the world map is loaded with icons. So, I've turned off all icons on the map except for towns/cities and collectibles. And the world is gorgeous, but I find it very very difficult to orient myself and figure out where something is without constantly opening the map to look at the auto-route to the quest destination. A minimap would help solve this issue - and it's baffling why there isn't one in this game, of all games. The world map is pretty but lacking in distinctive features to my eye. I hate to compare this to Breath of the Wild but they released around the same time and I still play BOTW to this day and it does so much so right with respect to open world game design and it's hard to not be annoyed by some of these things.

Okay, that said... I am digging the hell out of this game. It is complex, it demands patience and biding your time. And very much like Breath of the Wild I am able to crank up the volume to enjoy the ambience and the sounds of nature as I'm crouching in the grass waiting to strike. Although I'm doing a very poor job of being stealthy even on 'story' difficult. Somehow everything is able to detect me or suss me out even when I'm hiding, especially those bastard Watchers. If it wasn't for them always detecting me I'd probably not be playing on the easiest difficulty setting. Ideally I want to play on 'hard' and save 'very hard/ultra hard' for a NG+ someday, but not until I figure out how to take out a whole pack without being detected.

I really do like this game and although it has several things I don't like about most AAA open world games the positives greatly outweigh the negatives, no question.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5839 on: January 07, 2020, 03:50:13 PM »
I think Horizon is a great game. It's combat and story/setting are the best factors for me. Fighting a thunderjaw with your entire arsenal of gear never gets old.

And while I don't even like most side characters that much, I am surprised how good the core storyline is. The setting is great and the whole story behind it is thought out really well.

For me, the game shined its most during main missions, with a more focused level design and plot development, all the while having awesome encounters. The world is beautiful and all and there are interesting things to be found, but Horizon was a main quest game for me.

I will probably check out the DLC one of these days.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5840 on: January 07, 2020, 04:45:53 PM »
I think Horizon is a great game. It's combat and story/setting are the best factors for me. Fighting a thunderjaw with your entire arsenal of gear never gets old.

And while I don't even like most side characters that much, I am surprised how good the core storyline is. The setting is great and the whole story behind it is thought out really well.

For me, the game shined its most during main missions, with a more focused level design and plot development, all the while having awesome encounters. The world is beautiful and all and there are interesting things to be found, but Horizon was a main quest game for me.

I will probably check out the DLC one of these days.

I have to agree about the story. The stories in these 3rd person action RPGish games don't usually draw Herrick in but this one interested me. I liked the main character (Aloy), The King or Prince (can't remember his name) and the character played by Lance Reddick.

I played the DLC right after finishing the main story and I don't recall much about it, story-wise. One of the things the DLC added was a "skill" to be able to loot stuff while mounted. To me that's an essential ability and a huge oversight that it wasn't a part of the base-game skill tree. I bought one of those Game of the Year versions that included the DLC so I lucked out.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5841 on: January 08, 2020, 09:07:53 AM »
Gave in and bought GTA5 for the third time because the premium online edition was on sale for $15. Also got Witcher 3 complete edition for the same price, because why not (second time I've bought it now, hopefully I dig it this time). Figured I can't pass up those two games especially since Witcher was 70% off.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5842 on: January 08, 2020, 09:38:53 AM »
Ahhhh The Witcher 3. One of the few games I've replayed. I wouldn't mind playing through it again. Perhaps when I put my new PC together. My current build stopped working last week...on the same day I was looking at new parts for a future build. Very strange  :omg:

I bought Bloodborne to keep me occupied while I wait for my PC parts to arrive. I'm not even a big fan of these games and swore I'd never play another one after beating Dark Souls...yet there is something about these games that makes me want to play them. I have The Surge, Sekiro, Dark Souls 2, & Nioh in my Steam library but haven't played much of them.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5843 on: January 08, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
I really want to play those Soulsborne games but they're so unbearably, unenjoyably difficult and tedious for me. Which sucks because Bloodborne and Sekiro look incredible. :(

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5844 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:58 AM »
I really want to play those Soulsborne games but they're so unbearably, unenjoyably difficult and tedious for me. Which sucks because Bloodborne and Sekiro look incredible. :(

The thing I dislike about them the most is having to fucking run back to the boss after dying. That gets boring real fast to the point where I start to look up tactics on how to beat the boss. I have very little patience for it.

And what's up with not being able to pause the game when you're offline?