Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 483243 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5670 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:43 AM »
Holy fudge -- Black Friday sale for regular PS4s this Friday. 199.99 USD, comes with Last of Us Remastered, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. Those last 2 are 2 of the few titles I have wanted a PS4 for (the others being Spider-Man, and possibly Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts III). Last of Us I don't care about, but omg, what a deal.

My mom demands I make a Christmas list for her, still, so I just found what to ask from her.  :rollin

Is that US only? I wanted to get a PS4 for a long time now and this looks like an awesome bundle.

I'm not sure honestly. I just read someone mention it on Facebook, then I Googled it and found it on the PlayStation site here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2019/black-friday-week/

I really freaking hope I get one because although there aren't a lot of PS4 games I want to play, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn (and Spidey) are WAY up there on my 'want to play' list, and those three are the games that I would buy a PS4 for (if I had the money myself).
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5671 on: November 25, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
Holy fudge -- Black Friday sale for regular PS4s this Friday. 199.99 USD, comes with Last of Us Remastered, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. Those last 2 are 2 of the few titles I have wanted a PS4 for (the others being Spider-Man, and possibly Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts III). Last of Us I don't care about, but omg, what a deal.

My mom demands I make a Christmas list for her, still, so I just found what to ask from her.  :rollin

Is that US only? I wanted to get a PS4 for a long time now and this looks like an awesome bundle.

I'm not sure honestly. I just read someone mention it on Facebook, then I Googled it and found it on the PlayStation site here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2019/black-friday-week/

I really freaking hope I get one because although there aren't a lot of PS4 games I want to play, God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn (and Spidey) are WAY up there on my 'want to play' list, and those three are the games that I would buy a PS4 for (if I had the money myself).

I honestly don't care much for God of War but I'm definitely interested in Last of Us and Horizon: Zero Dawn. I would also probably buy Heavy Rain maybe. Also yep, they don't ship outside the US. I looked for prices in my town and it's $299 for the same bundle except there's Detroit: Become Human instead of God of War which is okay, but still a bit too expensive.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5672 on: November 25, 2019, 12:49:09 PM »
Gameplay-wise The Last Of Us is fine if nothing special, but in terms of story, characters etc. damn if it isn't one of the best games ever. An absolute must-play, in my opinion.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5673 on: November 25, 2019, 12:54:28 PM »
See that's the rub for me. I'm sure the story is good enough, but if a game's gameplay is tedious or boring or (most importantly) not fun, it's moot to me. On the other hand, games like BOTW can have a barebones story but the gameplay can be so good I can get almost 1000 gameplay hours out of it  :lol If I get the bundle I doubt I'll play it, which is good because I think TLOU is the only physical copy in the bundle so I can just sell it  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5674 on: November 25, 2019, 12:57:33 PM »
I've heard nothing but good things about The Last of Us, but I've never played it. 

I started purposely trying to encounter people in RDR2 to get some funny sequences to start piling up content to make a youtube video.  Which I finished yesterday but holding off on publishing until Thanksgiving.  I think I have enough content for another video as well I can start working. But I was just laughing so hard from this short scene of dropping off a dead dog to this guy and then knifing him  :lol Just the ridiculousness of the game.  Also recorded a few scenes of many people at the saloon drinking, those are always fun especially when you have some drinks IRL.  I'm sure Chino remembers us having to bring a dead body each to the bar as a cover charge  :rollin

I present you your dead pet dog (and a slow mo stab to the eye)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5675 on: November 26, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »
I'm about 80% sure my mother bought that PS4 bundle for me  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5676 on: November 28, 2019, 12:10:04 PM »
Started playing this little puzzle game called Baba is You. Damn it's so cute and brilliant - you have to move blocks to change the very game mechanics, alter the goal, or what your character is. Such a fun little title.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5677 on: November 28, 2019, 12:59:19 PM »
I heard about that game on the giant beastcast, it sounded interesting but not something I'd personally enjoy.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5678 on: November 29, 2019, 06:19:24 AM »
I don't really get the gameplay criticism on TLOU, I think it is one of the best playing games out there. It is the most natural feeling balance between stealth and shooter I have played (unlike the very gamey alert phases where enemies see through walls other games have). Everyting feels weighty and impactful while still having responsive controls. And if you are good enough, you can even take the action route on grounded. For me, playing semi-stealthy on hard without listening mode with headphones there is nothing in the genre that comes close. Not to mention it has an excellent online mode that shows the gameplay works well competitively as well. That mode is pure gameplay.

It is one of my favourite games (hence my avatar).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5679 on: November 29, 2019, 07:10:05 AM »
I don't really get the gameplay criticism on TLOU, I think it is one of the best playing games out there. It is the most natural feeling balance between stealth and shooter I have played (unlike the very gamey alert phases where enemies see through walls other games have). Everyting feels weighty and impactful while still having responsive controls. And if you are good enough, you can even take the action route on grounded. For me, playing semi-stealthy on hard without listening mode with headphones there is nothing in the genre that comes close. Not to mention it has an excellent online mode that shows the gameplay works well competitively as well. That mode is pure gameplay.

That is precisely why I have zero interest in playing it. Stealth is far and away my least type of gameplay in the world, and I'm not joking, I can't think of a single instance of stealth gameplay that I have ever enjoyed. Throw played out zombies (I really am sick of zombies in all media) into the mix and I'm left with probably a good plot but terribly dull gameplay for what my tastes are. I might give it a shot, if I get the bundle, but seriously I dread the idea of playing it. I like stealth when it is not required whatsoever and especially when it is not a core aspect of the gameplay.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5680 on: November 29, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
Yesterday, I purchased, and downloaded, Jedi:Fallen Order for our PS4. I was able to play for a while last night and was quite impressed with the "tutorial" phase of the game. It cleverly inserted it into the story rather than have a dedicated tutorial. So far, where it shines, is in the voice acting and music. The character animations could be more fluid...but maybe I'm just spoiled from HZD.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5681 on: November 29, 2019, 02:16:34 PM »

That is precisely why I have zero interest in playing it. Stealth is far and away my least type of gameplay in the world, and I'm not joking, I can't think of a single instance of stealth gameplay that I have ever enjoyed. Throw played out zombies (I really am sick of zombies in all media) into the mix and I'm left with probably a good plot but terribly dull gameplay for what my tastes are. I might give it a shot, if I get the bundle, but seriously I dread the idea of playing it. I like stealth when it is not required whatsoever and especially when it is not a core aspect of the gameplay.

I feel on normal and especially easy you can take the action route without much problem and have intense confrontations. I am too shitty of a gamer to pull that off on higher difficulties though, but it is definitely possible. If you really don't like stealth, you should consider easy and go guns blazing/melee. While there are some sneaky parts, the vast majority of the game does not require it.

But I personally really enjoyed the stealth in this game though. But I like sneaking in games in general (when it's a properly developed option).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5682 on: November 29, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »
Hmmm, okay. I'll keep that in mind!

I bought the Spyro Reignited Trilogy tonight and blasted through the first 4 worlds, 100%, on the first game. Drop dead gorgeous remakes and just as fun as they were 20 years ago. I can't wait to get to Spyro 3's skateboarding levels!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5683 on: December 05, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »
Picked up Hotline Miami 1 & 2 for Switch.

Oh my god, I forgot how much I loved Hotline miami. And this is my first time playing part2. They are so great and addictive, and mental.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5684 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:03 AM »
Playing Assassin's Creed Oddysey (inc. season pass and yes, that ridiculous XP booster because I don't want to grind too much), I really enjoy it but does anyone still know what the fuck is going on with that modern day story? At the end of III we got this huge twist with a major new threat. And when googling I found out they resolved that plot with a comicbook  :lol But I don't get what the current aim is of the story. But thus far I enjoy Kassandra's journey/story, I think she is a great protagonist. And there are a lot of colourful characters in the world, which I enjoy.

I played these before:
-The original
-II
-Revalations
-III
-Syndicate

Also bought Origins this week, because it was very cheap. Played a bit yesterday and oddly enough I think it looks better than Oddysey and the combat also feels better. But offcourse I will focus on Oddysey the coming time. Anyways, I usually play these games across many months when I feel like it. I love the settings and even though their stories are usually not particulary great, I really enjoy the characters and their journeys. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5685 on: December 06, 2019, 02:03:52 AM »
Started playing this little puzzle game called Baba is You. Damn it's so cute and brilliant - you have to move blocks to change the very game mechanics, alter the goal, or what your character is. Such a fun little title.
y'all i'm 100% sure i told you about this one already  :lol, still my GOTY

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5686 on: December 06, 2019, 03:28:46 AM »
Playing Assassin's Creed Oddysey (inc. season pass and yes, that ridiculous XP booster because I don't want to grind too much), I really enjoy it but does anyone still know what the fuck is going on with that modern day story? At the end of III we got this huge twist with a major new threat. And when googling I found out they resolved that plot with a comicbook  :lol But I don't get what the current aim is of the story. But thus far I enjoy Kassandra's journey/story, I think she is a great protagonist. And there are a lot of colourful characters in the world, which I enjoy.

I played these before:
-The original
-II
-Revalations
-III
-Syndicate

Also bought Origins this week, because it was very cheap. Played a bit yesterday and oddly enough I think it looks better than Oddysey and the combat also feels better. But offcourse I will focus on Oddysey the coming time. Anyways, I usually play these games across many months when I feel like it. I love the settings and even though their stories are usually not particulary great, I really enjoy the characters and their journeys.

I'm have also been playing Odyssey on and off for about 6 months now, and i'm too really enjoying it. It is just so huge that i have to take breaks from it from time to time. I have the base edition without the XP boosters, i have never used them during my playthrough. At some point in the game you could have (No joke) about 30 active side quests, and IMO they are very generous with the XP so i fail to see the need for the boosters.

I'm level 43 now (Max is 50) and i'm sweating that i'm going to run out of levels before i complete all the quests. I still have story missions and a metric tons worth of side quests to complete. Biggest problem i have with Odyssey is, that in order to fill the gigantic open world with quests, a lot of them feel very samey. But there definitely is some gems hidden throughout. But even so, i love the combat system, and it makes even some of the more mundane quests feel somewhat exciting!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5687 on: December 06, 2019, 06:31:50 AM »
y'all i'm 100% sure i told you about this one already  :lol , still my GOTY
It's really nice, but it suddenly became insanely difficult, what the hell :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5688 on: December 06, 2019, 07:19:57 AM »

I played these before:
-The original
-II
-Revalations
-III
-Syndicate

I'm have also been playing Odyssey on and off for about 6 months now, and i'm too really enjoying it. It is just so huge that i have to take breaks from it from time to time. I have the base edition without the XP boosters, i have never used them during my playthrough. At some point in the game you could have (No joke) about 30 active side quests, and IMO they are very generous with the XP so i fail to see the need for the boosters.

I'm level 43 now (Max is 50) and i'm sweating that i'm going to run out of levels before i complete all the quests. I still have story missions and a metric tons worth of side quests to complete. Biggest problem i have with Odyssey is, that in order to fill the gigantic open world with quests, a lot of them feel very samey. But there definitely is some gems hidden throughout. But even so, i love the combat system, and it makes even some of the more mundane quests feel somewhat exciting!

Well, I also bought Origins and want to play 4 on the Switch (AAA Pirates game!), so am not planning to do a lot of sidequests. I will google one of those "don't miss these sidequests" lists. Hence why I bought it as it was recommended to me. But honestly I think without it the game probably scales better. My gear becomes useless fairly quick. I will likely disable the boost and enable it if I feel a grind.

Btw, I read that they added a mastery level to the game for when you reached level 50. You can increase stats and aquire skill points past level 50.

Furthermore, did a part of the free history tour and that is way more elaborate than I anticipated. It is super chill to walk around in first person and there is a surprising amount of guided tours.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5689 on: December 06, 2019, 11:55:25 AM »
I think they gave up on the modern day story after Syndicate. I don't remember if the modern day thing was addressed in Origins.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5690 on: December 06, 2019, 02:27:34 PM »
I went sailing in sea of thieves recently with my brother. I forgot how much fun that game is, and they've added a surprising amount of content to it.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5691 on: December 06, 2019, 06:47:57 PM »
I went sailing in sea of thieves recently with my brother. I forgot how much fun that game is, and they've added a surprising amount of content to it.

This game looks interesting. I'll have to check out some videos. Have you ever played Sid Meier's Pirates? If so, how does it compare?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5692 on: December 07, 2019, 11:55:21 AM »

This game looks interesting. I'll have to check out some videos. Have you ever played Sid Meier's Pirates? If so, how does it compare?

I'll help you out, my first Sea of Thieves being an ass video from a year or so ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXAX5nYxqBM  :lol Game was great for stupid stuff like this, but originally lacked content.  I know they added so much since then but I haven't followed. 

I actually feel like RDR2 online is almost the same thing just different worlds and I have just as much for for the random encounters, but RDR2 has wayyy more content on release.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5693 on: December 07, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
I'll help you out, my first Sea of Thieves being an ass video from a year or so ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXAX5nYxqBM  :lol Game was great for stupid stuff like this, but originally lacked content.  I know they added so much since then but I haven't followed. 

I actually feel like RDR2 online is almost the same thing just different worlds and I have just as much for for the random encounters, but RDR2 has wayyy more content on release.

That was you dancing on top of that barrel in the beginning?  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5694 on: December 07, 2019, 07:25:24 PM »
 :lol hello big fat man

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5695 on: December 08, 2019, 06:32:56 PM »
I've been playing Far Cry New Dawn over the past few days. It's pretty meh. The rap music is cringey as fuck. Can't customize weapons which sucks. I'm not a fan of weapons being unlocked behind upgrading the home base.

The most pleasant surprise is the villains aren't too annoying and they're not really given much screen time which is nice. I hated Vaas from Far Cry 3, and the douche-cult people from Far Cry 5 with those stupid forced kidnapping parts. I don't remember much about Pagan Min from Far Cry 4 but I'm sure he was annoying too.

After finishing this game I'm going on to Rage 2. I played some of it last week and was pleasantly surprised. I liked it a lot more than the first game which I didn't like at all.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5696 on: December 09, 2019, 09:23:45 AM »
I wish Rockstar could utilize the Far Cry dev teams to make a proper FPV GTA game. Far Cry does it better than any other game in the business IMO. I got bored with the franchise half way through 4. There are only so many radio towers you can climb before it gets repetitive.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5697 on: December 09, 2019, 09:28:59 AM »
I loved Far Cry the original, and started Far Cry 2; I'm about halfway through the southern map, but - being a trophy whore - I think I missed something in the northern map and can't see a way of going back.  I got pissed so let the game sit for a couple weeks.  I have little desire to go back to it, but with the cold weather and holidays, I may try to bang it out and get to Far Cry 3. 

I need something else, though.  I want something like BioSchock or Deus Ex. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5698 on: December 09, 2019, 09:36:24 AM »
Was waiting for RDR2 to come out on Steam, now that it has come out we have the pre-new year rush at work, suddenly (not really suddenly) there are deadlines which will probably require us to work weekends :lol Looking forward to play it during the holidays, we have eight days off from January 1st to 8th, I'll probably spend at least two days just playing it. Been a few years since I actually played a solo video game for more than three hours straight (did co-op Divinity Original Sin 2 with two friends), actually excited about this quite a bit :biggrin:

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5699 on: December 09, 2019, 09:38:48 AM »
Was waiting for RDR2 to come out on Steam, now that it has come out we have the pre-new year rush at work, suddenly (not really suddenly) there are deadlines which will probably require us to work weekends :lol Looking forward to play it during the holidays, we have eight days off from January 1st to 8th, I'll probably spend at least two days just playing it. Been a few years since I actually played a solo video game for more than three hours straight (did co-op Divinity Original Sin 2 with two friends), actually excited about this quite a bit :biggrin:

Nice. I've been playing with a few guys from here in a posse called Barstool Warriors. It's a good time. We'd be happy to have you.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5700 on: December 09, 2019, 09:39:04 AM »
I loved Far Cry the original, and started Far Cry 2; I'm about halfway through the southern map, but - being a trophy whore - I think I missed something in the northern map and can't see a way of going back.  I got pissed so let the game sit for a couple weeks.  I have little desire to go back to it, but with the cold weather and holidays, I may try to bang it out and get to Far Cry 3. 

You're in luck... the next BioShock is in the works, and has been for a while. You're just gonna have to wait a bit longer.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5701 on: December 09, 2019, 09:40:20 AM »
I wish Rockstar could utilize the Far Cry dev teams to make a proper FPV GTA game. Far Cry does it better than any other game in the business IMO. I got bored with the franchise half way through 4. There are only so many radio towers you can climb before it gets repetitive.

There are no radio towers in Far Cry Primal, Far Cry 5, and New Dawn. But yeah these games have basically been the same since Far Cry 3 and they do get repetitive. I enjoy the gameplay so I keep buying them (when they go on sale).

I liked the original Far Cry too but I wasn't happy when you had to start fighting the non-human things. I can't remember what they were called. Far Cry 2 was....I remember enjoying it but finding certain parts extremely annoying like travelling somewhere and being spammed with enemies. I just want to travel to my destination!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5702 on: December 09, 2019, 09:42:50 AM »

Nice. I've been playing with a few guys from here in a posse called Barstool Warriors. It's a good time. We'd be happy to have you.

It depends on the time zones but it'd be good to play with you guys, I'll post something in the thread when the time arrives! Still got three weeks of work to go through before this happens though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5703 on: December 09, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
I've got this week and two more days of work until January, I expect I'll be playing lots of RDR2 on my time off starting next week.  I find myself just banging out the daily challenges for XP and then messing around with people when they appear for shits and giggles.  I was a real ass last night, definitely had someone really annoyed with me for killing the horses on their rescue cart for a side mission  :lol

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5704 on: December 09, 2019, 11:40:29 AM »
I took 12/20 through the rest of the year off. I'll be getting some hours in too.