Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 480922 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5915 on: January 22, 2020, 07:08:02 AM »
After having only had Playstation and Nintendo (and PC) ever since I was a kid, I finally messed around with an Xbox the last two days.

First of all, the OS fucking sucks. It is basically one big ad screaming buy this or that. Fuck that. Why am I seeing Ninja on my personal homepage? Three of the four tabs are about buying stuff/commercials, and my homepage tab is basically half a commercial too. And then my own damn library is quietly tucked away under a small tile between the adverts/promotions. That said, it is not like I am going to hang around on the home screen for long, this thing is for gaming and multimedia and it does those well thankfully.

That out of the way, I enjoy the controller (but I already knew that going in) and the S console itself is really well built, way better than say the PS4 or PS4pro. And the backwards compatability program is great, one of the reasons I wanted one. As for the games, I tried some Rare classics and also Gears of War 2. I played and enjoyed the Original on PC back in the day and am in the mood for linear shooters, so I will continue playing this one. I also will likely go for Gamepass, as it is cheap and has a lot of the games I want tot check out that I missed over the years.

Oddly enough The Witcher 2 is not digitally available in The Netherlands. It is in the store front, nicely advertised and translated, but you can't buy it...? And it isn't an error, I actually contacted MS about it. They said "nope, you can't". So I have to track down a physical copy, which are rare here. I know it is an old game but they actually advertise it a X enhanced, so I don't understand this one at all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5916 on: January 22, 2020, 07:50:18 AM »
I've written this before, but I'm on the cusp of a new system, and really, really undecided between a PS4 and an xBoxOne.  Each have their pros and cons.

PS Pros: 
 - the interface
 - the very "Japanese" way it allows you to tie in to the PSN without beating you over the head with it
 - the actual technology of the connection: I can count on one hand the number of times I've been kicked from the PSN that was not a function of my wifi.

PS Cons:
 - the controller; I've gone through easily five Dual Shock controllers since I bought in to the PS system (four consoles now)
 - the lag; yeah I don't get kicked from the network, but in online play, I get creamed A LOT because of lag
 - the ease by which the online games get modded; nothing worse than joining a game and finding some 14-year-old penis with ears running around in invisible God-mode, seconds before my screen goes day-glo
 - No backward compatability (boggling to me)

XBox Pros:
 - Backwards compatability (even if I don't like the way they did it)
 - The controller
 - The controller (yes I did that twice)

XBox Cons:
 - I literally kick out of xBox Live about every 30 to 45 minutes
 - I guess this is a repeat too, but I don't think I've ever yet played an online game on the XBox, because the connection is so wonky (I'm not reconfiguring my entire network - a network I use for work as well - to play Far Cry 3 online)

I think with all that, I'll probably go PS4. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5917 on: January 22, 2020, 07:58:56 AM »
Any chance you consider a PC? I was a never-PCer and was converted very easily. If not, I'd say go with the PS4.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5918 on: January 22, 2020, 08:01:11 AM »
I used to be exclusively PC; I long for the days of the Ultima games (and the like).  I just don't think I have the gumption for that now.   I could be wrong.   I also use the PS3 as my Blu-ray player, so there's that.   

Probably stick with the PS4/console game. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5919 on: January 22, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »
Not a console guy anymore but I used to be on the xbox allegiance.  However, if I were to buy a system, I'd go PS these days.  I feel they have the better exclusive games and that makes all the difference to me in otherwise very similar consoles. 

But, PC master race  :metal

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5920 on: January 22, 2020, 09:09:43 AM »
After having only had Playstation and Nintendo (and PC) ever since I was a kid, I finally messed around with an Xbox the last two days.

First of all, the OS fucking sucks. It is basically one big ad screaming buy this or that. Fuck that. Why am I seeing Ninja on my personal homepage? Three of the four tabs are about buying stuff/commercials, and my homepage tab is basically half a commercial too. And then my own damn library is quietly tucked away under a small tile between the adverts/promotions. That said, it is not like I am going to hang around on the home screen for long, this thing is for gaming and multimedia and it does those well thankfully.

That out of the way, I enjoy the controller (but I already knew that going in) and the S console itself is really well built, way better than say the PS4 or PS4pro. And the backwards compatability program is great, one of the reasons I wanted one. As for the games, I tried some Rare classics and also Gears of War 2. I played and enjoyed the Original on PC back in the day and am in the mood for linear shooters, so I will continue playing this one. I also will likely go for Gamepass, as it is cheap and has a lot of the games I want tot check out that I missed over the years.

Oddly enough The Witcher 2 is not digitally available in The Netherlands. It is in the store front, nicely advertised and translated, but you can't buy it...? And it isn't an error, I actually contacted MS about it. They said "nope, you can't". So I have to track down a physical copy, which are rare here. I know it is an old game but they actually advertise it a X enhanced, so I don't understand this one at all.

I got 3 months of Gamepass for free when I bought the stuff for my new PC. I've no interest in Gamepass. Let me know if you want it. I'm not sure if it's some how tied to my Amazon account though. I'll look into it.

Edit: Looks like it's Game Pass for PC only  :-[
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 09:24:57 AM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5921 on: January 22, 2020, 09:22:18 AM »
The PlayStation interface comes closest to the 'best' of the Big Three's console interfaces but oh man does it still annoy me. Why in 2019/2020 does the PS Store freeze regularly for no apparent reason? I have to often reboot my PS4 and go straight to the store and it seems like if I spend more than 10 minutes browsing then it'll just hang on one page. Then the home screen is a mess with no organization to the rows of icons, and for some reason it jams the 'capture library' in between half of my gaming library on the home screen, and the 'game library' is all the way at the very end, wtf?

Xbox is a hot mess because it just constantly tries to remind you to spend more money and the design is like an even messier version of the Windows 8 panel snapping (don't know if they've changed it recently but that's what I remember it as when the XBone launched)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5922 on: January 22, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »
I used to be exclusively PC; I long for the days of the Ultima games (and the like).  I just don't think I have the gumption for that now.   I could be wrong.   I also use the PS3 as my Blu-ray player, so there's that.   

Probably stick with the PS4/console game.

Yeah, but if you get a PC, you can get Red Dead Redemption 2 and join Cram, Puppies, and myself in the posse Barstool Warriors.

I'm curious what you mean when you say "I just don't think I have the gumption for that now.   I could be wrong. ". I stayed away from PC forever because I didn't know anything about putting a PC together and never really cared to learn (still don't). But I needed something to replace my 8 year old laptop and splurged a bit on a pre-built Cyber Power gaming PC. I bought it on Amazon and it was at my door and ready to go five days later. I doubled the RAM myself, but other than that, I haven't touched the thing. It's been every bit of plug-and-play as a console.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5923 on: January 22, 2020, 09:45:13 AM »
That's illuminating.  My pre-conceived notion is that it's a project to "build" a PC necessary. I also have the legacy memories of having to reconfigure SOMETHING every time a new Ultima came out.  There were ten games in the Ultima series, and I pretty much had to have ten different configurations (and several of the earlier ones were rendered unplayable by later configurations).   

It seems I'm wrong (I mean that sincerely).

And it's also a tempting consideration (seriously) to have a gaming group to join.  For a while there I had a small group of players I joined to play Assassin's Creed online and it was fun. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5924 on: January 22, 2020, 09:46:15 AM »
Honestly, Chino, you should consider learning about putting a PC together since you're pretty much in the game already - upgrading RAM is mad simple and even things like replacing a CPU are very easdy although daunting for a first-timer. You'll save so much money and be able to soup up your rig beyond what you're paying for in a big way! And once you're confident putting the whole kit and kaboodle together, man, is it addicting...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5925 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
Honestly, Chino, you should consider learning about putting a PC together since you're pretty much in the game already - upgrading RAM is mad simple and even things like replacing a CPU are very easdy although daunting for a first-timer. You'll save so much money and be able to soup up your rig beyond what you're paying for in a big way! And once you're confident putting the whole kit and kaboodle together, man, is it addicting...
All very true. I've been building PC's (for myself, friends, and as a side business) for close to 20 years now. It's actually very simple. And, Youtubers like Jayz2cents, Bitwit, and Linus Tech Tips all have easy to follow tutorials on building a PC, plus numerous videos of what to do if something goes wrong.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5926 on: January 22, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »

That's my plan going forward. I figured as it's time to upgrade (assuming components are still compatible with DDR4 RAM), I'll just research my upgrades and replace a part at a time as needed. I have every bit of confidence that I could figure it out with ease. I mean, I've done plenty of work with electronics and such, I was just never really interested in building one from scratch. I also never really saw the need because for about 15 years all my PC had to do was run MS Suite and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I think I mentioned before that I didn't intend on doing much gaming when I bought my PC, but now that I've gotten a taste, I wish I would have gotten something with even more oomph. It handles RDR2 with most setting on ultra (except for water physics), but it's pushing the machine's limits. I don't know how long it'll be able to go in the gaming realm before it can't handle the new stuff. If it can't play GTA-VI on the highest settings, it'll be time to upgrade.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:01:14 AM by Chino »

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5927 on: January 22, 2020, 09:58:07 AM »
That's illuminating.  My pre-conceived notion is that it's a project to "build" a PC necessary. I also have the legacy memories of having to reconfigure SOMETHING every time a new Ultima came out.  There were ten games in the Ultima series, and I pretty much had to have ten different configurations (and several of the earlier ones were rendered unplayable by later configurations).   

And it's also a tempting consideration (seriously) to have a gaming group to join.  For a while there I had a small group of players I joined to play Assassin's Creed online and it was fun.

I think this is part of the reason why I have taken to PC so much. On PS4, I don't have anyone to play with. But on PC, I've got a couple guys that I play with regularly, and it makes the games so much more fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5928 on: January 22, 2020, 10:03:59 AM »

That's my plan going forward. I figured as it's time to upgrade (assuming components are still compatible with DDR4 RAM), I'll just research my upgrades and replace a part at a time as needed. I have every bit of confidence that I could figure it out with ease. I mean, I've done plenty of work with electronics and such, I was just never really interested in building one from scratch. I also never really saw the need because for about 15 years all my PC had to do was run MS Suite and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I think I mentioned before that I didn't intend on doing much gaming when I bought my PC, but now that I've gotten a taste, I would have gotten something with even more oomph. It handles RDR2 with most setting on ultra (except for water physics), but it's pushing the machine's limits. I don't know how long it'll be able to go in the gaming realm before it can't handle the new stuff. If it can't play GTA-VI on the highest settings, it'll be time to upgrade.

If you can play RDR2 at settings that high, you will be able to play new games for literally years. You don't have to worry about upgrading anything anytime soon. Even if you can't run games at max settings, you'll be able to play new releases at the very least at 'normal' or even 'high' settings for a very long time. Maybe replace the PSU down the road, maybe upgrade the vid card and RAM if need be or even the CPU, but you could leave your rig untouched for years and be okay.

Wanting to play GTA 6 on max settings is ambitious as hell (and I applaud the choice) but you're going to be dropping a few bucks if you want that to happen. For reference, I dropped about $1200 on parts for a rig in 2015 - I could play Shadow of Mordor on max settings effortlessly. I could get GTA 5 to 'ultra' settings when it launched a few months later but if I wanted to play it on absolute 'maxed out' setting I would've needed to buy the top-of-the-line video card at that time, upgrade my monitor to a nice 4K monitor, and maybe even jack up my CPU by a couple levels, but the ROI would've only been very minimal, and honestly, even on 'ultra' settings I turned off quite a few options and the game still looked better than almost every other game I owned at the time, even Shadow of Mordor which ran on max. The only things that I could adjust from 'ultra' to 'max' or whatever the options were, were just very minor graphical enhancements that I honestly couldn't even notice when turning them on/off. Just my experience, don't want you to drop a shitload of money if you don't think it'll be worth the return.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5929 on: January 22, 2020, 10:19:17 AM »
PC building is mad simple and if the plan was to buy a prebuilt one and upgrade as you go then that's solid.  I don't think you over paid or anything for your build from what I recall.  Got a nice deal and I'm not sure you'd save much money by doing that save build yourself other than the learning experience and pride.  But you'll get there.

Settings and adjustments are still a thing, especially on release day when games aren't always a smooth experience.  However, most of it isn't necessary, just adjustments to fit your style and feel.  It's actually a positive for PC gaming over console, I have so many more options to adjust and fit for my set up and my style of gaming like your mouse sensitivity for how you play or graphics to get the most FPS.  It's all there at your finger tips... but you can also just use the NVidia application (if you use an nvidia graphics card) and have it automatically set up the best and recommended settings for your specific PC.  I can even pop in an xbox controller if I feel a game isn't as well played on keyboard/mouse.  The options are endless here.

I personally like the social aspect of PC gaming too.  Using apps like Discord for voice chat in game (or out) and for messaging.  You always find people who want to play and be social in game too.  I do enjoy the late night friday gaming when I've got nothing else going on, I usually find a few friends nice and toasty late on fridays and it just makes the gaming experience so much more fun.  Last Friday I joined my friends and we didn't even game, just BSed for an hour or so through the voice chat and sharing videos with each other.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5930 on: January 22, 2020, 10:25:42 AM »

That's my plan going forward. I figured as it's time to upgrade (assuming components are still compatible with DDR4 RAM), I'll just research my upgrades and replace a part at a time as needed. I have every bit of confidence that I could figure it out with ease. I mean, I've done plenty of work with electronics and such, I was just never really interested in building one from scratch. I also never really saw the need because for about 15 years all my PC had to do was run MS Suite and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I think I mentioned before that I didn't intend on doing much gaming when I bought my PC, but now that I've gotten a taste, I wish I would have gotten something with even more oomph. It handles RDR2 with most setting on ultra (except for water physics), but it's pushing the machine's limits. I don't know how long it'll be able to go in the gaming realm before it can't handle the new stuff. If it can't play GTA-VI on the highest settings, it'll be time to upgrade.
Sounds like we're in a really similar situation. I also needed to update my >10 year old computer, so got a not-too-overboard gaming PC from CyberPower UK just before Christmas. It's a lot bigger and more neatly/spaciously laid out inside so I figure replacing components myself over time, as and when I need to, should be easier.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5931 on: January 22, 2020, 11:05:34 AM »

Sounds like we're in a really similar situation. I also needed to update my >10 year old computer, so got a not-too-overboard gaming PC from CyberPower UK just before Christmas. It's a lot bigger and more neatly/spaciously laid out inside so I figure replacing components myself over time, as and when I need to, should be easier.

Sounds like a great way to get into the PC building world. For me the most difficult thing is connecting everything to the power supply, & plugging in the hard drive lights, power, & reset buttons. Those connections are so gotdamn tiny  >:(

One of the USB ports on the front doesn't work but I've no desire to go back in there and see what I did wrong. Plus there are three other ones on the front that work fine.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5932 on: January 22, 2020, 05:22:24 PM »
I only have two USB ports up front and it's kind of annoying. There are four in the back that are all occupied and I find I fill the front two constantly. 3 or 4 up front would be ideal.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5933 on: January 22, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
I dont know if you have any bays open on your case, but you could get a USB hub and install it where a dvd drive might go, and depending on the motherboard. Either use an extra usb spot or replace the usb connection for the 2 ports on the case.

My case has 4 in the front (2 are usb 3.0) and like 6 in the back. I use all of the back so my front are free for miscellaneous things as needed.

I also have a pic usb card but that's for the back and I dont have it installed on my current build.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5934 on: January 22, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »
My case is not designed for drives. I can't even put a CD in my machine  :lol, and it doesn't have any blanks where I could install one even if I wanted to. I'd have to get a USB one and connect it that way.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #5935 on: January 23, 2020, 12:29:32 AM »
I'm playing ASSassin's Creed Odyssey and it's not that good. I've owned the game since it came out but stopped playing it due to the dorky protagonist and performance issues on my old build. Now I'm replaying on my new build and I chose the womang. Her voice acting is better, methinks. Anyway, Moving around the game world doesn't feel or look that great. Goofy-looking movement animations. I miss the more planted-feeling from Origins.

The combat doesn't feel very good or visceral and there are lots of bullet-sponge enemies even when they're at the same level as me. I hope it gets better once I level my shit up. I'm only level 10 (or 11 perhaps). And why can't I use a fucking shield? This is Blasphemy! This is Madness! This is UBISOFT!!!!

I just beat Odyssey and I thought it was pretty good. Voice acting in general is not very good, and Cassy is infinitely better protagonist than Alexios. Cassy's voice acting is also among the best in the game, and it's easy for her to stand out since the voice acting is generally not good.

Odyssey starts out slow, but gets better later on. Story becomes more interesting and gameplay becomes more enjoyable when you get god-tier abilities and gear to play with. There is no shields in this game PERIOD. Biggest problem for me was the overload of mediocre content. The world is so enormously huge that in order to fill the world, it has a boatload of mediocre quests. That makes it very difficult for the very good-excellent content to stand out.

Overall a good game, but could have been better.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5936 on: January 23, 2020, 08:41:58 AM »
I'm playing ASSassin's Creed Odyssey and it's not that good. I've owned the game since it came out but stopped playing it due to the dorky protagonist and performance issues on my old build. Now I'm replaying on my new build and I chose the womang. Her voice acting is better, methinks. Anyway, Moving around the game world doesn't feel or look that great. Goofy-looking movement animations. I miss the more planted-feeling from Origins.

The combat doesn't feel very good or visceral and there are lots of bullet-sponge enemies even when they're at the same level as me. I hope it gets better once I level my shit up. I'm only level 10 (or 11 perhaps). And why can't I use a fucking shield? This is Blasphemy! This is Madness! This is UBISOFT!!!!

I just beat Odyssey and I thought it was pretty good. Voice acting in general is not very good, and Cassy is infinitely better protagonist than Alexios. Cassy's voice acting is also among the best in the game, and it's easy for her to stand out since the voice acting is generally not good.

Odyssey starts out slow, but gets better later on. Story becomes more interesting and gameplay becomes more enjoyable when you get god-tier abilities and gear to play with. There is no shields in this game PERIOD. Biggest problem for me was the overload of mediocre content. The world is so enormously huge that in order to fill the world, it has a boatload of mediocre quests. That makes it very difficult for the very good-excellent content to stand out.

Overall a good game, but could have been better.

Speaking of quests, I heard the ones on the message boards in the cities are like the radiant quests in Skyrim. They seem to give decent rewards though.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5937 on: January 26, 2020, 06:42:15 AM »
I cant remember if anyone plays Frostpunk here but if you haven't you should definitely pick it up. It's on sale on steam now and they just released their first full dlc called the last autumn which may as well be another full game.

If you haven't played before the game is like a depressing city builder. You are in charge of building and maintaining a city that is going through severe climate change and extreme cold temperatures. The game is made by the devs that made this war of mine so it does have a hint of doom and gloom over all the choices you make.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5938 on: January 28, 2020, 09:13:20 AM »
https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/61357/GTA-Online-and-Red-Dead-Online-Have-a-Record-Breaking-Holiday-Season?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gtao-and-rdo-01282020&utm_content=newswire

Red Dead Online players will receive a series of gifts including free access to select roles, special role item giveaways and more, including:

The Gunslinger’s Cache: Play between January 28th and February 3rd to get a Free Schofield Revolver, a Free Varmint Rifle and the Devastating Ammo Bundle, which includes 100x Split Point Revolver Ammo, 100x High Velocity Pistol Ammo, 100x Express Repeater Ammo, 100x Slug Shotgun Ammo, and 20x Explosive Rifle Ammo.

The Bounty Hunter’s Kit: Play between February 4th and February 10th to get a Free Bounty Hunter license, 25x Bolas, and 25x Tracking Arrows.

As we have hinted at in the past, the world of Red Dead Online will also continue to grow in 2020 as we expand the concept of Frontier Pursuits with additional roles, new missions and many more significant updates to come.

:metal please add more content to RDR2 sooner than later and priorize it over the older GTA5, thank you love cramx3

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5939 on: January 28, 2020, 09:26:09 AM »
That's encouraging. I hope we'll be getting a wagon with a gatling gun at some point. That'd add a fun element to running around with your posse.

I'm curious as to what other roles they have in store. Gold mining would be cool, as would ranching and horse breeding. It'd be cool if you could own a saloon for passive income and could use your own moonshine to be more profitable. I'd also like to see a flyable version of the glider.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5940 on: January 28, 2020, 09:29:56 AM »
Sooo... does it cost anything to play RDR online? I gotta pay for PSN at least, right? Are there microtransactions on top of that? This will help me decide if I want to jump in.

I finally legit "beat" GTA V last night for the first time since it launched. As in, I didn't use a single cheat, I gamed the stock market, and I bought every single thing. Every weapon, every piece of clothing, every property, basically I just have to clean up a few extra side missions and I've more or less wiped the game clean. So now I'm fully ready for RDR2. I made a file Sunday night but 10 PM on a Sunday was NOT a good time to jump in to that game  :lol I basically made it through the first hour but I am already hooked.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5941 on: January 28, 2020, 09:31:51 AM »
Sooo... does it cost anything to play RDR online? I gotta pay for PSN at least, right? Are there microtransactions on top of that? This will help me decide if I want to jump in.

RDRO is completely free. There are micro transactions if you want to purchase gold (there are two in-game currencies), but that isn't necessary. I haven't spent a cent and have pretty much everything I need/want.

If you're playing on PS4, you'll have to subscribe to PS+, but that isn't Red Dead's fault.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5942 on: January 28, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Awesome. I was very worried it would be GTA Online all over again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5943 on: January 28, 2020, 09:57:37 AM »

What do you mean by that? GTA online was always free too, RDR2 online is very similar.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5944 on: January 28, 2020, 10:22:27 AM »

What do you mean by that? GTA online was always free too, RDR2 online is very similar.

I'm assuming he was referring to cars that cost $8M+. Sure, you could get them through a grind, but it takes a laughable amount of time to save $8M in that game. Most people just ask for shark cards for gifts and then buy the vehicles that way.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5945 on: January 28, 2020, 11:13:00 AM »

I'm assuming he was referring to cars that cost $8M+. Sure, you could get them through a grind, but it takes a laughable amount of time to save $8M in that game. Most people just ask for shark cards for gifts and then buy the vehicles that way.

Exactly what I was referring to, yeah. As long as I can acquire everything through normal gameplay and it won't take a goddamn month of Sundays to accomplish the legit way, then I'm happy. Also I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time with griefers in GTA Online; it was impossible to get anything done because I'd always be getting killed which sucked all the fun out of it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5946 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:24 AM »
It's really no different then, I can't tell you how many hours I put in and there's almost an infinite amount of stuff to still unlock if I wanted to, but most stuff is just looks so I don't care since I got the look I want and have everything I want.  And then about griefers... well you're talking to one of them :laugh: but overall I don't think it's as bad as GTA 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5947 on: January 28, 2020, 11:18:29 AM »
The final act of Kentucky Route Zero is out! This is a fucking awesome game, one of the few I'd consider art. Can't wait to replay it :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxcUZU0vtLE

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5948 on: January 28, 2020, 11:21:21 AM »

Exactly what I was referring to, yeah. As long as I can acquire everything through normal gameplay and it won't take a goddamn month of Sundays to accomplish the legit way, then I'm happy. Also I remember having an absolute nightmare of a time with griefers in GTA Online; it was impossible to get anything done because I'd always be getting killed which sucked all the fun out of it.

So the griefing is strange in RDRO. I played online on PS4 when it originally came out. I stopped after 30 levels or so because the griefing made it unbearable. I now play on PC and getting griefed during a mission of any kind is rare. Now, I don't know if they released an update or something to combat this or if it's due to different demographics. I can't say for sure. But I swear I can remember reading that they implemented an honor system (you have your honor level associated with your character). If you're an honorable player, you get put into lobbies with other honorable players, and if you're a dick (sometimes Cram  :lol), you get put into lobbies with other dicks. I make it a point to not disrupt other players if they are clearly on a mission.

Either way, some missions offer you options. For example, with the trader role, you have the option of who you want to deliver to. You can go local and for less money, but not show up on anyone else's map. Or, you can choose to go for a further away delivery for more cash, but you'll be visible on other people's radar. They get some kind of reward from stopping you. I'll usually just do the local deliveries unless I have Cram riding alongside me for backup (who gets a hefty payout for assisting).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5949 on: January 28, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »
The honor system makes little sense to me though, my honor is almost always perfect.  It doesn't hurt too much to go on a rampage and I'll regain it by doing a couple bounties.  It's not a very equal system but then again, maybe I just play the game enough of the way I'm supposed to that I can get away with all the side killing for fun.