Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 493823 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5635 on: November 18, 2019, 06:09:35 PM »
Is it a sequel or just a spin off VR game?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5636 on: November 18, 2019, 06:12:57 PM »
It's touted as a flagship game, so plus it's Alyx, so I'd expect a sequel.

Like everybody else I've been waiting for a HL3. Now I'm totally disappointed. I have no interest in it being VR, and especially if it involves proprietary hardware and software as a service.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5637 on: November 19, 2019, 12:57:43 AM »
It's touted as a flagship game, so plus it's Alyx, so I'd expect a sequel.

Like everybody else I've been waiting for a HL3. Now I'm totally disappointed. I have no interest in it being VR, and especially if it involves proprietary hardware and software as a service.
Yea I understand your frustration, I also would rather have HL3 non VR but I think this was unavoidable for Valve. They had to make a AAA title for the Vive, that's what VR in general been missing, a proper full produktion game made for VR. So if they're doing that I guess Half Life was the best contender off all their IPs and it's also a fresh start for the series.
I would say it's a good thing it's a spin off and not HL3 VR which means there's still hope for a proper sequel.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5638 on: November 19, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »
If it's not something I can play without VR, then I have no interest in it.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5639 on: November 19, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
I would be shocked if a 2D version wasn't announced. I feel like Valve is leaving way too much money on the table here. Unless they're projecting the sales of VR hardware to offset whatever they lose on the 2D front.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5640 on: November 19, 2019, 09:19:00 AM »
Now I'm worried that Bethesda will finally announce TES6 and it'll be Holodeck only.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5641 on: November 19, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »
Honestly, I think this is a game made purely for VR sadly.
I think it's better too just assume that and move on. Hopefully they have something more too announce on thursday involving HL.

The thing is, if this game dosen't bring people to buy a VR headset the future for VR will not look bright because a proper AAA game is exactly what's been missing. I think Valve has alot to loose if this dosen't turn out to be a success.

Which is also why i'm actually excited for it because I don't think Valve would announce something like this unless they're really sure they have something special to show.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:54:59 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5642 on: November 19, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »
Honestly, I think this is a game made purely for VR sadly.
I think it's better too just assume that and move on. Hopefully they have something more too announce on thursday involving HL.

Yea thats what Im feeling here.  Luckily my fandom of HL is basically zero at this point so this announcement might have pissed me off 10 years ago, now it just a very meh from me.  Even if they announced a proper HL3, I'd totally play it but my excitement level wouldn't be too high due to the time between games.  I just have little interest in the series at this point. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5643 on: November 19, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
Two things. One, do we know that this isn't a proper HL3? If it's a marquee title and has about the same play length, does it matter? More importantly, do we know if their platform requires their VR headset? From what I understand their is pushing a grand, when I could pick up a Rift non-S for $250.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5644 on: November 19, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
Two things. One, do we know that this isn't a proper HL3? If it's a marquee title and has about the same play length, does it matter? More importantly, do we know if their platform requires their VR headset? From what I understand their is pushing a grand, when I could pick up a Rift non-S for $250.

I know nothing, some people at work are speculating its a spinoff or remake.  Either way, if it were a spinoff based on the same world and gameplay, I'd still be interested, but it would have to not be VR only.  That's my main worry about this.  I don't really have any interest in VR and my general interest in HL is not much at all if it's not a proper game, sequel or spinoff.  A remake is also zero interest, but calling it Alyx makes me think it's not a remake.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5645 on: November 19, 2019, 07:21:38 PM »
I've never really been a Shenmue guy, but part III just came out for anyone who is interested.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5646 on: November 19, 2019, 07:41:14 PM »
I've never really been a Shenmue guy, but part III just came out for anyone who is interested.
Ugh, the first 2 Shenmue games were about as fun as watching paint dry while huffing crayons.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5647 on: November 20, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »
Apparently Shenmue 3 barely progresses the story of the series overall   :lol

I sincerely doubt that story will ever be completed. That said, I have zero experience with the games, they look like something you'd have to have played when it was new.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5648 on: November 20, 2019, 07:10:11 AM »
I didn't have a dreamcast when the original came out so I just had a Game informer article and pictures to look at. I was fascinated by how interactive the world was (for the time) and wanted it soooo bad. This was pre GTA III so an open world was still a novelty and what I wanted.

Then when I got an xbox, shenmue II was available and after I got it I was incredibly disappointed. Its very slow, not that much fun and the mechanics are clunky and frustrating. I admire its ambition, but I didn't play it for long. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5649 on: November 21, 2019, 11:42:58 AM »
Half-Life: Alyx Announcement Trailer

I think it looks cool, yes this won't be for everyone but I think it's good for Valve to have a Half Life IP finally announced after all these years to dampend the memes a bit so that the real announcement for Half Life 3 will be met with excitment.... :P Riiiight Gabe!?  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5650 on: November 21, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »
That does look pretty cool. I dont think it will change my mind about wanting VR right now but it looks like something that might get a lot of people to buy in.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5651 on: November 21, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
From what we've now learned, it's a prequel. The story of what Alyx's hands were up to leading up to HL2, and no doubt ending when Gordon arrives. It's not a side story or a spinoff, and it's about he same length of HL2.

Quote from: Mr. Valve
The new VR game is something of a prequel, taking place before the events of Half-Life 2, and Speyrer says that people should play through Episode 2 before hopping into the new game. But he also notes that it’s not just a short tech demo or spinoff, as is typical with VR games. “It’s not a side story, nor an episodic one — it’s the next part of the Half-Life story, in a game around the same length as Half-Life 2,” he explains.
E.F. Benson

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5652 on: November 21, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
I really hope they make a non VR version of Alyx though I'm not holding my breath. My computer is probably due for an upgrade 9 years in but it runs solid just doesn't do 4K or handle any VR.

The trailer looked dope.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5653 on: November 21, 2019, 03:21:02 PM »
I really hope they make a non VR version of Alyx though I'm not holding my breath. My computer is probably due for an upgrade 9 years in but it runs solid just doesn't do 4K or handle any VR.

The trailer looked dope.

That trailer looked like something not meant for non VR.  Although I am hoping for that as well because I'd totally play it, but the hype train just kind of dies for me with it being for VR.  Certainly looks cool, I'm just not ready to go all in on VR yet.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5654 on: November 21, 2019, 03:25:10 PM »

That trailer looked like something not meant for non VR.  Although I am hoping for that as well because I'd totally play it, but the hype train just kind of dies for me with it being for VR.  Certainly looks cool, I'm just not ready to go all in on VR yet.

You took the words right out of my mouth. The game looks tight, but I'm not into VR, so its something I'm gonna pass on.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5655 on: November 21, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »
Am prob gonna get a VR headset just for that game, and all the other VR gems out there :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5656 on: November 21, 2019, 03:46:05 PM »
I have to admit, Half-life Alyx would probably be the only reason I'd drop a grand on a VR rig.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5657 on: November 22, 2019, 01:37:03 AM »
But what about everyone who doesn't have a VR headset?
Valve apparently has you covered.

In a recent interview with The Verge, Valve's David Speyrer confirmed Half-Life will continue after Alyx's VR romp. When asked "Does this mark a full return to the series? Should we expect more?", Spreyrer replied: "Yes. It's probably no surprise that many people at Valve have been wanting to get back to the Half-Life universe for a long time, and this experience has only reinforced that.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/68894/half-life-3-still-possible-valve-games-coming/index.html

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5658 on: November 22, 2019, 06:51:28 AM »
 :corn

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5659 on: November 22, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
I cannot help getting excited for this because despite it's been along time ago since I played ep 2, I have such a fond memory of my first time playing Half Life back in the day. It's still one of my greatest experience playing a game. Sure a chunk of nostalgia plays a big part but it really was a fresh and innovative game at the time.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5660 on: November 22, 2019, 06:24:10 PM »
I'll be honest, this might be the game which makes me take the VR plunge.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5661 on: November 23, 2019, 03:45:40 AM »
I'm definitely not getting any VR. If they release a version for normal gaming then I'll almost certainly get it, but otherwise I'll have to miss out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #5662 on: November 23, 2019, 08:58:27 PM »
I'm getting some serious Tool vibes with this Half-Life universe continuation with that comment.  :lol

I ain't holding my breath, but I'd also jump on 3 like white on rice if it were ever a real thing and had as much enthusiasm and innovation as 2 did. They have to know that even after all this time, it'd still be a massive best seller and that absolutely cannot be the only reason they make it or it will suck. That said, it's motivation none the less. So I hope there's still a lot of heart behind the team that ends up making it if this is really in the works.

I'm not gonna be getting VR anytime soon though, so unless Alyx ends up having every fan and critic saying that this is a must have game-changing entry in the series, I don't mind passing. I also can't imagine this being such a VR-intensive game that they couldn't make a "regular" version down the line. Quite frankly because there is no VR hardware that cannot be tweaked to work with a normal controller right now, which is why I don't mind not having VR; it's more experience and less physicality. Once there's a hardware component or some kind of tech that makes me go "This is literally going to take me out of this world and into another one", I'm still not down for it. I do like that it's only getting better and better though.

Whenever excerpts like this:

"Lean to aim around a broken wall and under a Barnacle to make an impossible shot. Rummage through shelves to find a healing syringe and some shotgun shells. Manipulate tools to hack alien interfaces. Toss a bottle through a window to distract an enemy. Rip a Headcrab off your face and throw it out the window." (From Steam)

Are the shining "built from the ground up for VR" testaments...it's uh...not that impressive. "Shoot like you would normally shot but with your hands!" > "Rummage through shelves!" > "Toss things!"  :o :lol I mean don't get me wrong, it's awesome, I'm sure. But alsooo...really? Rummage through shelves? Um...yes...that is...very innovative. That has me rearing and gearing and ready to go.  :millahhhh So again, I reaaallly can't see this being a truly only-possible-in-VR game. You'll lose out on certain aspects in a big way with the traditional method, for sure; but also it's not going to break the game. Puzzles and such are really the only innovative part I can see shining with VR in a game like this.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:13:25 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5663 on: November 24, 2019, 12:28:26 AM »
"Rummage through shelves!" > "Toss things!"  :o :lol I mean don't get me wrong, it's awesome, I'm sure. But alsooo...really? Rummage through shelves? Um...yes...that is...very innovative. That has me rearing and gearing and ready to go.  :millahhhh So again, I reaaallly can't see this being a truly only-possible-in-VR game. You'll lose out on certain aspects in a big way with the traditional method, for sure; but also it's not going to break the game. Puzzles and such are really the only innovative part I can see shining with VR in a game like this.
I actually find that too be interesting when it comes to looting in games, instead of standing at a shelf and click 'R' to pick up ammo or something you have the option to search through junk individually with your hands and pick up stuff with your fingers. That way the devs can hide stuff from plain sight which makes it interesting for the player when searching for loot. I'm thinking about all the easter eggs and gnomes Valve could hide.  :omg:

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5664 on: November 24, 2019, 02:38:02 AM »
If they really build it around VR and introduce a lot of interactions with your hands (specifically with the Valve controllers), it will be a hard time making a regular version. Personally, I think VR can be and has been a game changer for some games. I love traditional gaming and there will always be plenty of them, but seeing more major games really built around VR would be awesome.

Offline Spiritus

« Reply #5665 on: November 24, 2019, 03:04:32 AM »

You took the words right out of my mouth. The game looks tight, but I'm not into VR, so its something I'm gonna pass on.

Same here

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #5666 on: November 24, 2019, 04:55:54 AM »
I used to be on the train of "Why won't they make Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Portal 3?!" because it seemed like such beloved franchises getting a third entry was logical from almost every standpoint. But with age and I guess in more recent years I actually understand why maybe they want to let those franchises stay the way they are. Look at a franchise like Mass Effect - it had 2 beloved games but the third was a mixed bag and the 4th got a loooot of criticism. I'm not gonna say Half-Life 3 being 'just OK' would taint the franchise but I kinda get why they're not actively rushing into it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5667 on: November 24, 2019, 05:10:42 AM »
This is a good video for anyone wondering about HL: Alyx. Basically this is made FOR VR meaning there's no non VR version planned since the game mechanics in the game are made for virtual hands and so on.

Everything Learned from Half-Life Alyx's Reveal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5668 on: November 25, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Holy fudge -- Black Friday sale for regular PS4s this Friday. 199.99 USD, comes with Last of Us Remastered, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. Those last 2 are 2 of the few titles I have wanted a PS4 for (the others being Spider-Man, and possibly Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts III). Last of Us I don't care about, but omg, what a deal.

My mom demands I make a Christmas list for her, still, so I just found what to ask from her.  :rollin
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5669 on: November 25, 2019, 10:47:45 AM »
Holy fudge -- Black Friday sale for regular PS4s this Friday. 199.99 USD, comes with Last of Us Remastered, God of War, and Horizon Zero Dawn. Those last 2 are 2 of the few titles I have wanted a PS4 for (the others being Spider-Man, and possibly Red Dead Redemption 2 and Kingdom Hearts III). Last of Us I don't care about, but omg, what a deal.

My mom demands I make a Christmas list for her, still, so I just found what to ask from her.  :rollin

Is that US only? I wanted to get a PS4 for a long time now and this looks like an awesome bundle.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.