Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 484534 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5460 on: October 30, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
Was playing Outer Worlds last night at about 10:30, all of a sudden I looked at the clock and it was 4:30. It's a lot of fun, I enjoy it. If it wasn't for the writing, I don't think it would be anything special, there's a lot of humor and heart, two things Fallout can lack at times. The world is cool, but I don't really know anything about the history of it, why are we on these planets. I'm sure it will fill in the gaps as it progresses. The gunplay is pretty good, the graphics are great. Like I said though, I really love the characters and the writing. It's fairly political, it takes on issues like healthcare, capitalism, relationships between government, people, and business, but it does it in a way where its not in your face or preachy, it deals with things in a relatable way.

If you like Fallout, you will love Outer Worlds
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5461 on: October 30, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
Does anybody here play Fallout 76? Better yet does anybody even have any faith in Bethesda at this point? The last year has been a hilarious shitshow of epic proportions and it seems like Obsidian is moving right in to fill the void Bethesda made by screwing up the Fallout series so badly and torpedoing all good will with their fanbase.

All fallout 76 did was make me extremely worried for the next elder scrolls game. Fallout 4 was good but the engine was showing its age, the game also took some real steps backward to previous fallout games.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5462 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »

All fallout 76 did was make me extremely worried for the next elder scrolls game.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5463 on: October 30, 2019, 02:53:25 PM »

All fallout 76 did was make me extremely worried for the next elder scrolls game.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
I would like to believe everything that's been going around with F76 has made some sort of realisation and impact for Bethesda and their future projects.

I therefor remain optimistic for future projects....

:blush
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5464 on: October 30, 2019, 03:52:24 PM »
Yeah that's where I'm at, I'm deathly afraid for how badly they'll screw the pooch on ES6 and just how buggy THAT one will ship whenever it comes out. Starfield too. They really, REALLY have to knock it out of the park with the next big game they release.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #5465 on: October 30, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
Does anybody here play Fallout 76? Better yet does anybody even have any faith in Bethesda at this point? The last year has been a hilarious shitshow of epic proportions and it seems like Obsidian is moving right in to fill the void Bethesda made by screwing up the Fallout series so badly and torpedoing all good will with their fanbase.

All fallout 76 did was make me extremely worried for the next elder scrolls game. Fallout 4 was good but the engine was showing its age, the game also took some real steps backward to previous fallout games.
The problem is that engine has been showing it's age since Oblivion. And here we are 13 years later still using it. Bethesda is completely out of touch with what their fanbase wants and I no longer have any faith that they can deliver a game worth playing. Be it ES6 or Starfield. Which is sad because Morrowind is still my favorite game of all time. They have the talent to make something great, but they've fallen in to the (shitty) games as a service trap.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5466 on: October 30, 2019, 06:42:35 PM »
It still blows my mind that they are using that old ass engine for ES6.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5467 on: October 30, 2019, 07:29:17 PM »

The problem is that engine has been showing it's age since Oblivion. And here we are 13 years later still using it. Bethesda is completely out of touch with what their fanbase wants and I no longer have any faith that they can deliver a game worth playing. Be it ES6 or Starfield. Which is sad because Morrowind is still my favorite game of all time. They have the talent to make something great, but they've fallen in to the (shitty) games as a service trap.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

It really is shocking. Skyrim was the peak of the Creation engine, fallout was passable in the sense that the jank was still there but the writing left much to be desired. They have squeezed everything they can out of it and I can't believe with all the resources that they have they can't come up with something new. I just hope what I've read is wrong and they end up pulling something new out of their ass but it's apparent with FO76 they are just in it for the cash grab.

I also do realize that FO76 was the product of a new team that bethesda acquired but they had internal alpha's they should've known how shit their product was but they put it out anyway.

/end of scotch fueled rant

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5468 on: October 30, 2019, 07:31:51 PM »
It's much more profitable to just re-use the same engine.  I hope they learned their lesson that the consumers will learn and adapt to that BS.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5469 on: October 30, 2019, 07:33:06 PM »
I hope so but I think Bethesda's corporate motto is: Fuck you give me money

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5470 on: October 30, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »
No one will give them money without a new engine after FO76

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5471 on: October 30, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »
I never thought I would not be pre-ordering/pre-downloading an Elder scrolls game, but I sure as shit will not be this time around. I'm gonna let it come out and watch a lot or reviews and feedback before giving them my cash.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5472 on: October 30, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »
I feel the same way, I think the only new game I'm really excited for right now is Cyberpunk

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5473 on: October 30, 2019, 08:08:22 PM »
Hell yeah Cyberpunk  :metal

That's my number one game that I am looking forward to

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5474 on: October 30, 2019, 08:32:13 PM »
I feel the same way, I think the only new game I'm really excited for right now is Cyberpunk
Cyberpunk should be great, if Witcher 3 is anything to go by. Then again, CDProject Red is a developer that has earned everyone's trust. So I expect nothing less than greatness.

I'm also looking forward to the finished version of Ostriv. If you like RTS style village management games, this might be for you. I've been playing the Alpha version for about 6 months now and following the development pretty closely.

Everspace 2 and Humankind both look like they could be something great.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5475 on: October 31, 2019, 02:44:28 AM »
Cyberpunk and Dying Light 2 are on my radar.

Btw do we know for a fact the same engine is used in ES6?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5476 on: October 31, 2019, 07:55:23 AM »
I can deal with older engines and slightly janky tech. What baffles me the most is that all recent Bethesda games (Fallout 4, 76 and Skyrim HD) have the same damn technical issues as their past titles, issues modders have sometimes fixed within DAYS of release. And yet their next title will probably have the same messy issues yet again. In case of something like the Skyrim remaster, I really think that is just a big fuck you to anyone who buys it. And Fallout 76 is a special kind of awful. I personally think the studio is in dire need of a change in leadership, because a studio that big with such major ip's needs to be able to perform better.

A former indie dev on a AA budget that has worked on kickstarter projects for many years just wiped the floor with them for fucks sake.

I still really enjoyed Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR is amazing, and will be enjoying their next major single player adventure, but I won't be buying their games at launch/full priced for sure.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5477 on: October 31, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
Was bored the other night and decided to make some use of my large archive of saved gameplay from Apex Legends.  Pulled clips from last February of wins where I was mostly terrible but still able to win, usually due to a team member saving my ass  :lol and put it to a song I've had trouble getting out of my head "True Believer" by Beast in Black.  Felt the idea of being a true believer worked with these terrible gameplay clips but still managing to win.  It's really not interesting by any means, but I do enjoy doing this (and doing similar was what started me to make youtube content so it's like an old pass time of putting video games 2 music)

Battle Beast - True Believer music video to Apex Legends Winning highlights

What I find most funny is how much less chubby my face is these days and wow am I terrible at this game  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5478 on: November 01, 2019, 12:34:28 PM »
Holy freaking crap the Diablo 4 trailer gave me chills this is gonna be awesome fuck yes. That last minute omg

https://youtu.be/9bRWIdOMfro
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline max_security

« Reply #5479 on: November 01, 2019, 04:10:39 PM »
Holy freaking crap the Diablo 4 trailer gave me chills this is gonna be awesome fuck yes. That last minute omg

https://youtu.be/9bRWIdOMfro

Man I grinded D2 and LOD for at least 12 years off and on. This does look good but I fell for Diablo 3 also , I'm gonna hang back on this one for a bit.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5480 on: November 01, 2019, 04:27:40 PM »
Blizzard has always made some incredible cinematics, this was no exception!  :metal

Here's some gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdDpqCmjb4

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5481 on: November 01, 2019, 04:47:18 PM »
Blizzard has always made some incredible cinematics, this was no exception!  :metal

Here's some gameplay footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RdDpqCmjb4

Ohhh my god. I am at maximum hype now. Full mast.  :lol

Offline max_security

« Reply #5482 on: November 01, 2019, 06:01:35 PM »
It looks awesome with that familiar isometric view . D2 had so many subtle aspects that added to the re-playable ness . Skill sets and attribute allocations being non-resettable , limited storage , stuff that drove you nuts was also what drove you to play. It wasn't just a matter of having great items it was having all of the build points in the right places and items that enhanced those. It wasn't a game it was a lifestyle , you had to read and research as much as you played . And it was mean , at any time someone could go hostile ( usually a higher level char ) and crush you in the most impossible places in the game. Games consisted of up to 6 players usually doing specific quests or PVP in normal or hardcore mode. D3 missed all of that , about as exciting as candy crush or something.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5483 on: November 01, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »

I read an article about this subject some time ago: https://kotaku.com/the-controversy-over-bethesdas-game-engine-is-misguided-1830435351. I think we may have even talked about it in this thread last year when Fallout 76 came out.

Anyway the article sounds like it's dealing with semantics. So fine, we shouldn't be concerned when Bethesda says they're not switching to a new engine for the next game. If the engine isn't the problem then what is the problem? Why do these games (and I like most of them) all have shitty combat and bugs cumming day and night? Why do these games with different engines have the same fucking bugs? Why do these games with different engines feel the same and not in a good way like how moving around in MGS5 feels like a waaaaay updated version of MGS1?

So we shouldn't worry about the engine being used, but we should be worried that it's Bethesda that's making the game  :lol

Anyway, I look forward to the next Bethesda game as long as they drop the multiplayer or at least it's not focused on multiplayer. I felt a bit let down when I heard Fallout 76 & Anthem were going to be "service games". That says to me, "You'll need to play with other people to fully benefit. The story will be a shell that's just there and the gameplay will be repetitive & grindy".
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5484 on: November 01, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »

I read an article about this subject some time ago: https://kotaku.com/the-controversy-over-bethesdas-game-engine-is-misguided-1830435351. I think we may have even talked about it in this thread last year when Fallout 76 came out.

Anyway the article sounds like it's dealing with semantics. So fine, we shouldn't be concerned when Bethesda says they're not switching to a new engine for the next game. If the engine isn't the problem then what is the problem? Why do these games (and I like most of them) all have shitty combat and bugs cumming day and night? Why do these games with different engines have the same fucking bugs? Why do these games with different engines feel the same and not in a good way like how moving around in MGS5 feels like a waaaaay updated version of MGS1?

So we shouldn't worry about the engine being used, but we should be worried that it's Bethesda that's making the game  :lol

Anyway, I look forward to the next Bethesda game as long as they drop the multiplayer or at least it's not focused on multiplayer. I felt a bit let down when I heard Fallout 76 & Anthem were going to be "service games". That says to me, "You'll need to play with other people to fully benefit. The story will be a shell that's just there and the gameplay will be repetitive & grindy".
Anyone that says they have been using different engines over the last 15 years is either lying or grossly misinformed or have no idea what they are talking about. It's the same engine ever since Morrowind. Granted they have tacked on additional tools and whatnot to the engine, but it's the same core engine. Which is why we keep having the exact same bugs from Oblivion to Skyrim to Fallout 4 to Fallout 76. The funniest part about those bugs is the modding community fixes them every time, but the developers can't be bothered to implement the fixes in to the next game. It's lazy development of not only their games, but the game engine. The core engine needs to be scrapped. The fact that they haven't even started to make a new engine is extremely disconcerting. If they don't want to do that, then license one of the dozens of great engines out there. Unreal engine or CryEngine or hell even Unity would be better at this point.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5485 on: November 01, 2019, 07:10:33 PM »
Talking to myself here maybe, but just started playing Hollow Knight.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5486 on: November 01, 2019, 08:03:56 PM »

I had trouble getting into Hollow Knight. Made it like an hour or two in, but that being said. I absolutely LOVE the atmosphere and art design of it.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5487 on: November 01, 2019, 08:31:40 PM »
I've heard so much about Hollow Knight. What is the game like? Is it just a 2d platformer?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5488 on: November 01, 2019, 09:47:41 PM »
Anyone that says they have been using different engines over the last 15 years is either lying or grossly misinformed or have no idea what they are talking about. It's the same engine ever since Morrowind. Granted they have tacked on additional tools and whatnot to the engine, but it's the same core engine. Which is why we keep having the exact same bugs from Oblivion to Skyrim to Fallout 4 to Fallout 76. The funniest part about those bugs is the modding community fixes them every time, but the developers can't be bothered to implement the fixes in to the next game. It's lazy development of not only their games, but the game engine. The core engine needs to be scrapped. The fact that they haven't even started to make a new engine is extremely disconcerting. If they don't want to do that, then license one of the dozens of great engines out there. Unreal engine or CryEngine or hell even Unity would be better at this point.

Well the claim from the Engine Defenders isn't Bethesda uses brand new engines for each game. They're saying the engine itself isn't the problem. Disclaimer: Herrick knows next to nothing about programming and/or video game design.

I read another article earlier saying if Bethesda were to create a new engine then they'd be at stage 1 all over again with a bunch of new bugs. The writer made an interesting point about how Netscape fucked themselves by starting over from scratch. This other article was more interesting to me because it stated the main problem is Bethesda's bug squashing methods.

The article goes into more detail as to why Bethesda can't just use another engine like Unreal or CryEngine.
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/bethesda-doesnt-need-a-new-engine/

Who knows what goes on with the Bethesda higher-ups but I agree with you about the laziness. It seems like the thought process is "Fuck it. The fans will deal with these bugs and the modders will take care of the bugs that keep rising from the dead. And we straight. Dat's it!"

Good game!

I've heard so much about Hollow Knight. What is the game like? Is it just a 2d platformer?

Yes, Sir. The content to price ratio is strong in this one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5489 on: November 01, 2019, 10:07:18 PM »
Hollow Knight is so damn good and fun however its difficulty has kept me from getting very far. Dying accidentally a lot and being unable to locate where all my money is is very frustrating and not the kind of gameplay that encourages me to keep coming back. But boy is it beautiful and the music is gorgeous and it plays so fluidly...

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5490 on: November 01, 2019, 11:44:31 PM »
Hollow Knight is so damn good and fun however its difficulty has kept me from getting very far. Dying accidentally a lot and being unable to locate where all my money is is very frustrating and not the kind of gameplay that encourages me to keep coming back. But boy is it beautiful and the music is gorgeous and it plays so fluidly...

Yeah it can be frustrating especially some of the boss battles. After dying a bunch of times, I feel no shame in checking out tips on how to defeat the bosses I was having trouble with. After finishing the main game at 38 hours and not getting the best ending, I was done. I didn't even check out the free DLCs.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5491 on: November 02, 2019, 03:36:22 AM »
Diablo 4! Oh can't wait to play it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5492 on: November 02, 2019, 05:10:15 AM »

Its like a metroid-vania kinda deal. 2d platformer, you uncover more and more of a map, get stronger. I want to love it, but I suck at it and kind of lose interest.

Watched some reviews for Death Stranding. No thanks. Doesn't look very appealing to me and I'm absolutely not spending 60 bucks for it.

Diablo 4- That gameplay trailer looks exactly what I wanted Diablo III to be. I'll check it out when it gets released.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:19:31 AM by Phoenix87x »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5493 on: November 02, 2019, 06:24:28 AM »
RDR will release on Epic Games launcher too next week for those that didn't know but apparently without preload.  :-\

I know that Epic launchern will sync with your steam friends which is convinient but i'm not sure R*s launcher will, anyone can confirm?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5494 on: November 02, 2019, 06:24:39 AM »
I was listening to Giant Beastcast and they discussed Death Stranding for almost an hour and it does not seem like the game for me. When it hits PC and if it comes to a store where I can return the game, like Steam, I may pick it up just to try.