Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 281948 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Idk if this is the right time to come in with a 'newbie question', but how often do they change the ball during a game? And do the already-used balls get re-used, if they can?
I'm not sure but I suspect they change them when the QB wants a new one.

And here's something, why do both teams get to supply their own balls? If the NFL wants them standardized, the the NFL should supply the damn balls. This really isn't rocket science.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
And here's something, why do both teams get to supply their own balls? If the NFL wants them standardized, the the NFL should supply the damn balls. This really isn't rocket science.
I agree with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Also, when it's raining or wet they will exchange the balls.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Seems no one's willing to consider that maybe the Patriots delivered 12 underinflated balls to the refs, a la St. Rogers, expecting them to be flagged and the refs just missed it.
Funny but that is what I was thinking happened the whole time , but today's statement New York the league states the the balls were in fact checked for legality.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Wow!  I never knew that temperature could affect ball pressure.  What a revelation!   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Seahawks to wear home uniforms in the SB!

I don't think the designated home team wearing their "home" uniforms is newsworthy. When they decide to go "Away", like the Steelers did in 2006 is when it's newsworthy, imo.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
the punishment should be to make Belichick do Hard Knocks for the next couple of years
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
the punishment should be to make Belichick do Hard Knocks for the next couple of years

I would love that! :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I heard an interesting analogy today, comparing this to steroids.  Belichick and Brady are more Bonds and Clemens than Sosa and McGwire: they likely would have been all-time greats even without the cheating, but the cheating they did do does taint their overall legacy a bit.  While it's not the same thing, obviously, it's not a bad way of looking at it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran

I haven't looked into it but I heard on the radio that they used to but Peyton started some kind of campaign for teams to use their practice balls.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Just gonna leave this right here....couldn't find it on youtube...yet.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=818229948216073&set=vb.100000872262786&type=2&theater

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
What's the best part about dating a Patriots fan?

They don't care if you cheat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kev. That is such a bad joke. So poorly crafted, I'd swear you were a Jaguar fan.  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Not sure what that even means. :lol ???

"I've handled dozens of balls over the past week." -Bill Belichick

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Now handling balls "is" funny.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Funny thing is, Belichick's explanation just now sound pretty reasonable, but that still doesn't explain why 11 of their footballs were off and none of the Colts were.   And Brady lying his ass off the other day really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think we all know QB's have their preferences and Tom got caught.  I just think this is a speeding ticket not vehicular manslaughter.  But not fessing up will hurt Tom in the end.  If he fessed up right away, I think it would have been a fine only.

Offline jammindude

In other news.   The NFL has said that if Marshawn Lynch makes any lewd gestures at any point in time during the game, The Seahawks will be penalized 15 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct.

But since he only grabs his crotch on TD's, it would be enforced on the ensuing kickoff....which Steven H could most likely still kick through the endzone if he wanted to....making this a complete non-issue.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
In other words, Lynch is free to be a classless jackass all he wants, while he also pisses money away because he can't stand spend two minutes talking to the media, even though it was in the contract he himself signed.  He's a beast on the field, but he is one guy you won't feel the least bit sorry for if you hear about him being broke five years after he's done playing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
In other words, Lynch is free to be a classless jackass all he wants, while he also pisses money away because he can't stand spend two minutes talking to the media, even though it was in the contract he himself signed.  He's a beast on the field, but he is one guy you won't feel the least bit sorry for if you hear about him being broke five years after he's done playing.
Dude has a great community presence off the field, who gives a shit if he doesn't want to answer a few dumb questions that are always the same boring garbage questions anyways.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Uh, I think the NFL does, and since it was collectively bargained, it was in the contract Lynch signed.  And hey, I think the media sucks, but show up, give your stoic one word answers, ala Bill Belichick, and save your money.  Jackasses like Lynch forget how lucky they are to make millions playing football. 

Offline jammindude

This is true.   The guy can really surprise you sometimes.   

Apparently, Lynch found some guys lost wallet while on his way home from a game....so he just went to the guy's house and returned it.   The guy said that Lynch was just a really nice 'down to earth' guy who simply wanted to return somone's wallet.    Rumor is that Lynch was uncomfortable with the story being brought to light, because he didn't really want to make anything of it.   He was just a guy who found and returned a wallet. 

I mean, it's hard to blanket anyone as ALL class or ALL classless.   Lynch has got a lot of class where it counts, and he is very active in many private ways within the community.   He's just very uncomfortable with direct attention (like Neil Peart that way really)....and when the media tries to put a microscope on him, it makes him a bit pissed.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Class where it counts?  Like grabbing his dick when scoring a touchdown?  Which is an act that only draws MORE attention from the media. :lol :lol

If Lynch legitimately has social anxiety disorder or something like that, instead of acting like a douche about it, why not get diagnosed with it so that can be his "out"?  Trust me, I have no love for the jackassery that the NFL often flaunts, and the media sucks swamp water, but again, he signed the contract.  Most have little things that are a part of their job that they might not like, but hey, we all do them, because it's what you do.  Unless you're the boss, meaning you can do whatever you want, just suck it up and do those little things.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
If Lynch legitimately has social anxiety disorder or something like that, instead of acting like a douche about it

I mean, why should one even need an out? If they're not comfortable with cameras thrust in their face while being asked a zillion questions, why keep fucking pestering them when there's PLENTY of other players on the team?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Because a) the media, again, sucks swamp water, and b) Lynch is CONTRACTUALLY expected to do it.  It's part of the contract he himself signed (for the third time).

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Because a) the media, again, sucks swamp water, and b) Lynch is CONTRACTUALLY expected to do it.  It's part of the contract he himself signed (for the third time).
Yes, we get that it's part of his contract, but after a certain point, it just makes the organization look like complete asshats to keep threatening him and fining him. He doesn't like interviews, move on from it.

Offline dparrott

I get Lynch.  All that media attention makes him uncomfortable.  But he'll talk for an hour with one person he's comfortable with.  Sounds like social anxiety disorder to me, which I have some of.

As to grabbing his thang, well, that's lost on me.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Fining him for not doing something he agreed to do when he signed the contract is something most big businesses will do.  Just about any of us can't get away with telling our bosses, "I don't like this part of my job, so I am not just not gonna do it."  If the bosses don't enforce it, it makes them look weak.  Everyone must be held to the same standard.  If they stop fining Lynch, many will start boycotting the media as well, and if anyone gets fined, they can play the "Why am I getting fined when Marshawn Lynch isn't?" card.  The NFL has to do it.  Personally, I would find it much more amusing if Lynch just showed up and gave one-word answers to every single question.  Mocking the media seems like more fun than ignoring them.

Offline jammindude

Personally, I think that part of the contract is complete BS...and needs to be re-visited.   

NO HUMAN BEING should be forced to sign a contract that...in effect...whores out their dignity.   

It sortof like saying, "we will give you millions of dollars and take care of you for the rest of your life so that you can do something you LOVE to do.....but first, you have to agree to appear in a bukkake video every weekend for your entire career."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I sort of agree, but really, considering what they made to playing freaking football, dedicating two-three minutes a week to sitting in front of the media seems like a cakewalk.  Hell, he should start doing all of his interviews at press conferences with Richard Sherman (kind of like how James and Wade always did post-game pressers in Miami together for a while) and just let Sherman always answer for him.  Sherman is never at a loss for words, after all. :lol :lol

Offline jammindude

No matter which side you're on... THIS IS FUNNY!!!!   :rollin :rollin :rollin
New England Patriots Ball Boy Confesses: https://youtu.be/NF3TZrvkKvc

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Class where it counts?  Like grabbing his dick when scoring a touchdown?  Which is an act that only draws MORE attention from the media. :lol :lol

If Lynch legitimately has social anxiety disorder or something like that, instead of acting like a douche about it, why not get diagnosed with it so that can be his "out"?  Trust me, I have no love for the jackassery that the NFL often flaunts, and the media sucks swamp water, but again, he signed the contract.  Most have little things that are a part of their job that they might not like, but hey, we all do them, because it's what you do.  Unless you're the boss, meaning you can do whatever you want, just suck it up and do those little things.

Hey man. I have crippling social anxiety. The kind where I feel like I am having a stroke, can't breathe, feel surreal. Yet, I am a teacher responsible for 160 kids every day. It's one thing to do your job (his playing football to my teaching the lesson). But when there is a faculty meeting, I feel completely anxious and it is so overwhelming. It's made MUCH worse by people having eyes on you, so I can only imagine Lynch's discomfort during interviews. You'd rather die right there then go on feeling that way.

Contractual or not, it's a rough feeling.

Offline dparrott

One of the best parts of the SB is the marathon of SB films of the past on NFL Network.  John Facenda the master.  It's on now. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Kev. Stop changing your Avatar.  It's messing me up! :lol