Author Topic: NFL thread 2014 v. Frankford Yellow Jackets Lay the Pipe on the Dayton Triangles  (Read 283916 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
It's only just now sinking in just how HUGE that game was.   That game is going to go down as one of the all time greats.    There was not just one miracle play, there were at least 3 or 4.    The 2 point conversion, the onside kick, the TD play.....heck, even the fake FG earlier.     That game is going to be on highlight reels for a VERY long time. 

I was thinking about that. In fact, I am still trying to wrap my brain about what happened. Last year's NFCCG game is remembered for The Tip. Much like that 1995 Mariners win over the Yankees is remembered for Griffey's slide in to home (the most replayed highlight in Seattle sports history?) I don't think this game will be remembered for one thing, or even a couple things. It will be remembered by how we all felt going in to the last couple minutes of regulation, and how we felt after the final TD.

Didn't get a chance to watch the second game. Was it as ugly as the score?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
 :lol

Offline Xanthul

I haven't been this bummed about a sports-related event since... 2002 I think (FIFA world cup, when Spain got beat by Korea). Millionaires playing games with millionaires, but damn I can't help it.

McCarthy isn't getting fired, but I think we need new blood at coordinators. Offense sucked in the red zone, defense collapsed at the end (though they played a pretty stellar game up until there, other than 3rd and 19) and special teams had two crucial mistakes in the fake FG and onside kick. In the end, I guess I just want people with new ideas that can motivate these men and keep them focused for the whole game instead of just stretches.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
This upcoming SuperBowl will be the first in 40 years I just can't bring myself to watch! Hate these teams and don't care about the game, at all!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline jammindude

WOW....if this turns out to be true.   

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/deflate-gate--report--patriots-being-investigated-for-deflated-footballs-062844133.html

I mean, Billichick already has a bit of a dirty history...but if this is true, he's just going to have a legacy of being a rotten cheater.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
If that's true then the organization deserved a fine but lets be honest.  Doesn't that help both teams then?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
Well yeah but it is noted in the article that either way, the Colts got manhandled.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
I thought the referees were in control of the balls. If not, they should be. To be honest this seems unlikely to me. Belichick has a habit of tiptoeing on the rule line, as we all know, but this seems much more overt. Just don't see them doing something so obvious.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Somebody posted the rules on game balls elsewhere:

The Referee shall be the sole judge as to whether all balls offered for play comply with these specifications. A pump is to be furnished by the home club, and the balls shall remain under the supervision of the Referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant just prior to the start of the game.
Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game.
These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.
In the event a home team ball does not conform to specifications, or its supply is exhausted, the Referee shall secure a proper ball from the visitors and, failing that, use the best available ball. Any such circumstances must be reported to the Commissioner.
In case of rain or a wet, muddy, or slippery field, a playable ball shall be used at the request of the offensive team’s center.
The Game Clock shall not stop for such action (unless undue delay occurs).
Note: It is the responsibility of the home team to furnish playable balls at all times by attendants from either side of the playing field.

Like I said, tampering with the balls on the sideline seems far too overt to me. Now, providing a test pump that reads a few pounds heavier than it actually is? That's a stunt that lives up to the Belichick level of craftiness.  :lol  "Uh, I don't know. Must have been defective when it left the factory. [shrugs]"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Pump Rule. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

No doubt (though I don't get #5). At least the newbies aren't all claiming "Lifelong Seahawks Fan here!" Most are willing to admit they probably thought the team still played in the Kingdome.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hell, Zorn to Largent! :metal

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Oh, man, it hurts.....the pain from laughing...  :rollin   :rollin   :rollin   :rollin

:lol :lol :lol :lol

:rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Weigh my ass and balls.  :lol

...and Russell Wilson was crying because he couldn't believe the Packers defense and special teams practically gave them that game.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
In other news, water is wet. :lol :lol

Not surprisingly, the point spread on the SB moved a ton last night, as all of the early money was on the Patriots. I like that since it seems like the vast majority of the time, whenever the betting public goes really heavy on one team, they are wrong.  Not always, but more often than not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I know you'd like that Kev, but who in their right mind wouldn't take the Pats +3?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
After yesterday, it looks easy, sure, but does anyone really think Seattle will play that poorly again in 13 days?  And the Seahawks are a whole lot better than the Colts.  Not saying Seattle will win, but the spread being a pick 'em now seems about right. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have to address this, too: in GOAT conversations, I've seen some say that even if Brady wins a fourth ring, Montana is still better cause he is 4-0 in Super Bowls.  That is stupid logic, since it implies that it's better to lose earlier in the playoffs.  I am not saying I'll put Brady at number 1 if the Pats win in two weeks, just that the idea that losing in the Super Bowl or finals counts against you is stupid. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
After yesterday, it looks easy, sure, but does anyone really think Seattle will play that poorly again in 13 days?  And the Seahawks are a whole lot better than the Colts.  Not saying Seattle will win, but the spread being a pick 'em now seems about right.
Oh absolutely. I think that's why people were jumping on the points.

I have to address this, too: in GOAT conversations, I've seen some say that even if Brady wins a fourth ring, Montana is still better cause he is 4-0 in Super Bowls.  That is stupid logic, since it implies that it's better to lose earlier in the playoffs.  I am not saying I'll put Brady at number 1 if the Pats win in two weeks, just that the idea that losing in the Super Bowl or finals counts against you is stupid. 

I agree with this, and not because of my geography. And I'm not one that judges everything on championships. See Marino/Dilfer.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
It's not the 4-0 super bowl record that puts Montana at the top of the list. It's the 127.8 rating. The bigger the game the better he played, each and every time.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Except that pesky 1985-1987 stretch.  I am not sure any other QB frequently mentioned in the GOAT conversation ever had a 3-game stretch in the playoffs as awful as that.

And I remember him playing dreadful in the AFCCG following the '93 season. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Meh. I will just say he's among the greats.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Right.  The selective memory of some never fails to amuse me.  You have to take it all into account.  This isn't like hockey (Gretzky) or basketball (Jordan) where the best ever is more than obvious to 99.999% of the population.  A strong argument can made for those top 5-7 quarterbacks.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Right.  The selective memory of some never fails to amuse me.  You have to take it all into account.  This isn't like hockey (Gretzky) or basketball (Jordan) where the best ever is more than obvious to 99.999% of the population.  A strong argument can made for those top 5-7 quarterbacks.
Orr?? ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
No.  The gap between Gretzky and whoever you want to put at number 2 (Orr, Howe or Mario) is as wide as the Grand Canyon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Just joshing. I don't disagree.

Offline jammindude

Offline jammindude

OMG.... Just saw a press conference where Pete Carroll was asked about the Patriots tendency to use normally ineligible receivers as eligible...

He said, "I think it really good smart football....we see it all the time in college, but I think we're starting to see it more now in the pros."  (this is paraphrased... I just saw it on local news and can't find it anywhere else)

Again...maybe I'm reading too much into it.   But being as that Pete has had relatively recent success in college, isn't this a bit of a couched statement?   As if to say, "...these might be trick plays to everyone else...but this ain't my first rodeo."   :rollin :rollin

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Actually, using a sixth o-lineman as a TE is much more common in the NFL because only 45 dress.  College football has more tackle over and split tackle formations.