Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 229593 times)

Offline mezzaIX

Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #1435 on: September 18, 2013, 09:33:10 AM »
It's still surprising to me how much AftR ruins the atmosphere in just a second. The worst song from the album by far; and personally, the most ambience-killer musical piece Dream Theater has ever created.

I'm glad you people enjoy it, because I can't stand it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1436 on: September 18, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »
Just listen "Along for the ride" again.

I can't believe how the JR solo ruin this beautiful song.
I can't understand why there is no JP solo instead.

What a waste... :'(

The only thing about that solo that I don't like is it comes in noticeably late.

A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Italians are this forum's treasure.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1437 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »

A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

No - he's definitely late.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1438 on: September 18, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »
Listening to IT again, the section starting at 11:50 where James just starts destroying it, vocally it reminds me of "Another Day" from ACOS, especially the "I'm sick of all you hypocrites" part.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline evz

« Reply #1439 on: September 18, 2013, 10:08:08 AM »
I have to say, the vocal layers/harmonies on the disc are just otherwordly.  The way they are mixed for levels and fx also is stellar. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1440 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:32 AM »
Listening to IT again, the section starting at 11:50 where James just starts destroying it, vocally it reminds me of "Another Day" from ACOS, especially the "I'm sick of all you hypocrites" part.

That section is his strongest performance on record since Awake.

REBELS FOR THEIR FREEDOM!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1441 on: September 18, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
Another thought on the length of the tracks...

There has NEVER (not even on WDADU) been a Dream Theater album where upon taking away the longest song from the album (the epic)...the next longest song on the entire album is only 7 minutes long. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: September 18, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
This is a good thing. It gives DT12 a lot of replay value.

Unlike Black Clouds where it was like - which song shall I listen to ?

The two singles ? nah - heard them enough.

Oh - all that's left is four 13 -  19 minute songs.  :\

None then.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1443 on: September 18, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
FAS 6/10  I don't consider it much. It's cool, but definitely just an intro.
TEI  7/10  Good metal tune. One of the more powerful songs on the album I think.
TLG  8/10  I like Rush, and I like DT taking some chances. This tune does both of these for me. Another one of my favourites.
EM  4.5/10  A few cool melodies, but overall boring and forgettable.
TBP  8.5/10  I think this is my favourite right now. I think it could have ended a bit earlier, as I feel the last bit of vocal melody is kind of unnecessary. But great song with great parts.
BTV  7/10  I'm a fan. biggest complaint is some of the vocal phrasing in the first verse. The part right after the first chorus (little bass break that leads right back into some sick riffs) I thought was amazing.
STR  7.5/10  This might overtake TBP in the future. really cool, and structured pretty uniquely. Also kinda Rush-y. Really like the bass riff during the solo.
AFTR  5.5/10  Well written. Nothing special. Weird synth solo. Will listen again.
IT  6-7.5/10  I'm really confused by this track. One listen I like it, the next I don't. Unlike most, I find the middle section is a bit long winded and ruins the flow a bit. And I'm not THAT impressed by James in the second part. It's cool, but not earth shattering. The ending is awesome. And as far as the Easter Egg goes, it's nice, but I'm not sure I get what the big deal is. If it wasn't there, I'd be fine with that. If it was developed into a full song, it wouldn't be very Dream Theater sounding. Sure it's nice, but a little out of place.

Very happy with this album overall. I've been following the band heavily since just before SC, and it's by far the best thing they've done since then.

Offline evz

« Reply #1444 on: September 18, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »
There seems to be a definite case of "leave them wanting more" throughout the album.  So many excellent ideas they could have extended (and would have in the past) but I find this approach to have so much more impact!  Makes me want to just keep replaying the whole thing over and over.

These guys and this album....  I can't even express how I feel...  I am so beyond happy they did this.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1445 on: September 18, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
There seems to be a definite case of "leave them wanting more" throughout the album.  So many excellent ideas they could have extended (and would have in the past) but I find this approach to have so much more impact!  Makes me want to just keep replaying the whole thing over and over.

These guys and this album....  I can't even express how I feel...  I am so beyond happy they did this.
:tup :tup :tup

Offline Freeze

« Reply #1446 on: September 18, 2013, 11:08:04 AM »
I`m only on the second listen to the full album , but so far so good. Very good in many places as a matter of fact. To me it`s by far the best album they`ve done since "Octavarium" at least. To early to say where it will rank for me in the catalog, but this seems to be a winner!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1447 on: September 18, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
Just listened to IT for like the four or fifth time, but it was the first time I was able to listen to it without distraction (getting interrupted at work, haha) and I have to say, I was blown away.  It definitely grew on me, each time I listened to it, I liked it more and more, but this time being able to really concentrate and get into the music, I was emotionally moved.

I love the first 7 or so minutes of twisting riffs and the "Consider this question" vocal section is super catchy! Love the orchestra section and then the bass and drum thing comes in and JLB takes over! I haven't heard James sing like that on record in many, many, years!

I've seen mixed opinions of the ending, some seem to like it, others don't.  For me personally, I got goosebumps! I thought it was beautiful!!

Also randomly loving right at the 14:00 minute mark where the guitar solo finishes up, the boys kick into that heavy riff and JR flies in with a lead... Something about that transition made me laugh out loud at work !! Its pretty great!

Offline The Stray Seed

• There is no greater Evil than the indifference of Good men.
  • non mihi, non tibi, sed Nobis.
« Reply #1448 on: September 18, 2013, 11:20:21 AM »
Just listened to IT for like the four or fifth time, but it was the first time I was able to listen to it without distraction (getting interrupted at work, haha) and I have to say, I was blown away.  It definitely grew on me, each time I listened to it, I liked it more and more, but this time being able to really concentrate and get into the music, I was emotionally moved.

I love the first 7 or so minutes of twisting riffs and the "Consider this question" vocal section is super catchy! Love the orchestra section and then the bass and drum thing comes in and JLB takes over! I haven't heard James sing like that on record in many, many, years!

I've seen mixed opinions of the ending, some seem to like it, others don't.  For me personally, I got goosebumps! I thought it was beautiful!!

Also randomly loving right at the 14:00 minute mark where the guitar solo finishes up, the boys kick into that heavy riff and JR flies in with a lead... Something about that transition made me laugh out loud at work !! Its pretty great!

Agree with everything you said!  :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1449 on: September 18, 2013, 11:32:11 AM »
It's interesting to me that a lot of people aren't liking "Enigma Machine". I love it. It's so cartoony, especially the riffing. It's got a unique feel to it.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1450 on: September 18, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »
I love it too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1451 on: September 18, 2013, 11:48:13 AM »
Yep, Enigma Machine is probably the track that's grown on me the most. Still struggling with Surrender to Reason, which is weird because I just know that's it's gonna end up being a great tune. It's also the track that hit me the most at the listening party. I'm confused.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1452 on: September 18, 2013, 11:53:58 AM »
Yep, Enigma Machine is probably the track that's grown on me the most. Still struggling with Surrender to Reason, which is weird because I just know that's it's gonna end up being a great tune. It's also the track that hit me the most at the listening party. I'm confused.

Try listening to MM and JM only on STR. I haven't heard a rhythm section this locked into a groove in I can't remember when.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1453 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:45 AM »
I love every song except The Bigger Picture and Surrender to Reason which I havent listened too enough yet to let them sink in so I am witholding scores on them for the time being.

FAS : 8/10
TEI : 9/10
TLG : 10/10 : already one of my fav DT songs.
EM : 8/10
BTV : 9/10
AFTR  9/10

And im not listening to Illumination Theory (and havent once!) until next Monday when I hope to listen to it in glorious 5.1 sound!

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #1454 on: September 18, 2013, 12:11:09 PM »
It's taken 8+ listens, but I'm really enjoying Surrender to Reason.  It's the equivalent of a LTL or a BAI for me, only shorter and more concise.

The "restless angels" section is an album highlight, imo. Amazing end to what I think will go down as a great song.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1455 on: September 18, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
Surrender to Reason is actually a very tasteful prog-rock track. The grooves are sooo damn good, and the 'restless angels' is a great ending part. I can't remember since when I've enjoyed such a good sing-along type of thing from the guys.

I love how the band opt more often for a groovy rock riff on this record, like the first couple of riffs in Illumination Theory. That's just so much fun. I definitely get a bit of a Liquid Tension Experiment from those parts, especially when Jordan starts soloing over it at 2:42. One of his coolest parts ever!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1456 on: September 18, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I have not listened to any of the album except the first single.  I have pre-ordered thru I-tunes and have a question.  Is the qualilty about the same on the hard copy of the cd as the I tunes download?  What does the 5.1 mix add? Also, as far as the sound can someone explain to myself and persons not knowledgable who has the responsibility for the sound of the record.   I know some folks cringed when it was announced the guy Rush and Aerosmith uses was being utilized on the production of the cd.

Thanks and have enjoyed the comments on the cd. 

Now where are those North American tour dates?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1457 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:30 PM »
IT at 21:14, is that a Soundcloud compression artifact? Sounds weird.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1458 on: September 18, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
I've grown to appreciate the mix more. It's loud, but I compared it to other RR era DT records (level matched) and DT12 just sounds bad ass, despite the obvious flaws. I prefer it to the mixing on ADTOE, BC&SL and SC.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1459 on: September 18, 2013, 12:30:14 PM »
The Looking Glass ends too abruptly, but it's still a good song.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1460 on: September 18, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »
I have this stuck in my head today:

"Shed your light on meeee...(shed your light on me)
Be my light when I can´t see...the bigger picture!!!!"

Awesome!!!

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1461 on: September 18, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
I have this stuck in my head today:

"Shed your light on meeee...(shed your light on me)
Be my light when I can´t see...the bigger picture!!!!"

Awesome!!!

Oh, I thought it said "be my light so I can see the bigger picture"? I could easily be wrong though.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: September 18, 2013, 12:34:45 PM »
IT at 21:14, is that a Soundcloud compression artifact? Sounds weird.

I don't hear what your talking about at that spot. But, at 2:01 in the song there is a kind of 'chirp' that's reminiscent of John Paul Jones bass distortion in Heartbreaker except for it's quite loud. I hope that's an artifact because if I play the CD in my truck at high volume that chirp is likely to blow my panel speakers!  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1463 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »

I think the same thing! That song is awesome and I really love it, I just wish they put a proper outro on it.  Like after the last chorus, just go back and play that big "limelight" like guitar riff that they rock to in the intro.  Something as simple as that would have worked for me!

Still a stinking great song though! Its always a good sign when you want a song to not end!!  :metal

Offline teclas

« Reply #1464 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:51 PM »
On IT,  does anybody else hear that the instrumentation on the  "Hope can be a shadow fleeting, I would rather die believing .."  verse is reminescent of certain Fatal Tragedy section, just before the kybd and guitar solos?

I think that section is badass.  :xbones :metal
A journey to find
The answers inside
Our illusive mind

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1465 on: September 18, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
What Myung does behind Petrucci´s solo on The Looking Glass echoes Trial of Tears. Just beautiful!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #1466 on: September 18, 2013, 01:05:12 PM »
Big news eh?

Maybe Awake in it's entirety for the first set and all of DT12 in the 2nd set?
Haha, I doubt it. What good reason do they have for playing Awake in its entirety? Everything is about DT12 now.

Actually, I see that if they do an Evening With format, DT12 would be a good first set. Illumination Theory is just an odd concert closer.

What a concert closer that would be! They could play the Ester Egg piano part on a loop while the house lights went up and we all stumbled out all numb and happy!

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #1467 on: September 18, 2013, 01:11:31 PM »
Does anybody else hear a weird phasing effect on James's voice at times? Seems like a possible side-effect of pitch correction, but I'm not sure.

IMHO, that could be a relic of the streaming that can also exist in low quality MP3s. I'd be surprised if that effect is audible on the CD. For what it's worth....

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1468 on: September 18, 2013, 01:12:22 PM »
I think JPs found himself again on this album. His playing is eargasmic throughout and his lyrics are emotional and powerful. He's never made me cry... I gotta admit on a few songs I teared up. Just amazing lyrics. :metal
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: September 18, 2013, 01:32:26 PM »

It's better than being twice as long and having two instrumental sections for no reason .

A good song is one that you immediately want to hear again.