Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224440 times)

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #1295 on: September 17, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
I'm really loving the run of songs from Enigma Machine through to Surrender to Reason - such great stuff.

And then of course IT is amazing.

Those are the highlights for me at the moment, but it's all good!

That must be 80% of the album!  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1296 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:04 PM »
I'm really loving the run of songs from Enigma Machine through to Surrender to Reason - such great stuff.

Yup, although I'd add Along For The Ride there too. I'm a big fan in context of the album.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1297 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »
Popping in with another random observation that I had initially. The lead tones between JR and JP on Enigma Machine are very well matched and complimentary. Since this is nearly the only trade-off solo section in the album, please note that I said nearly, I find their choice very satisfying.
Just two on the album - in that song and then in Illumination Theory.

Interestingly, the same number of trade-offs as on BC&SL (one in ANTR and one in AROP) where people complained they were sick of DT over-using trade-offs. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1298 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:37 PM »

Ok, good point. :lol I guess that must make this a rather good album!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline mezzaIX

« Reply #1299 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:52 PM »
He's not doing anything out of his comfort range. He's not stretching high or going real low. And while James sounds great (he really does), his performance isn't dynamic, range-wise, which is bothering me. Ray Alder does a similar thing on the new Fates Warning. Great performance, but not rangy AT ALL. Right in the same area for the entire record.

Not to sound rude, but did you hear that one section of IT? :huh:

That would be the exception that proves the rule.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1300 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
He's not doing anything out of his comfort range. He's not stretching high or going real low. And while James sounds great (he really does), his performance isn't dynamic, range-wise, which is bothering me. Ray Alder does a similar thing on the new Fates Warning. Great performance, but not rangy AT ALL. Right in the same area for the entire record.

That would be the exception that proves the rule.

Ah. I'm sorry people feel that way. :\ I think he sounds amazing on this album, imo.
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline Meatrose

• Built for heavy lifting
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Let me show you my new means of transportation...
« Reply #1301 on: September 17, 2013, 03:24:48 PM »
The big news might be that they are bringing a mini-orchestra with them on tour, ala Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour.  I could see it, given how much the orchestra is featured on the new album.  Plus, assuming they play Illumination Theory, having that middle section played live would be pretty cool, as opposed to it being triggered or Rudess doing it all on his keys live.  Imagine them ending one set with Illumination Theory and the other set with Octavarium. :eek :eek :eek

Those of you who are thinking that the news could have something to do with them touring with an orchestra, I'm sorry to say this but I asked John (Petrucci) if "Eren and the string section would be 'Along For The Ride'" and his answer was (not an identical quote but it's pretty accurate at least): "That's a very good question. I think it would be very cool to do something like that for a special event or something but Eren's still in school and besides... actually touring with an orchestra would be really expensive. You know, we would have to feed them and stuff..."  :lol

He obviously said it jokingly, especially that last part, but I couldn't interpret his answer any other way than that they had no such plans.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: September 17, 2013, 03:28:38 PM »

Ok, good point. :lol I guess that must make this a rather good album!

I mistakenly thought Looking Glass was included in that run so perhaps not 80%. Please forgive my playing fast and free with percentiles.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1303 on: September 17, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

Listen from 11:00 onward on IT... JLB slays the vocals. Hearing him get that high, dynamic, and passionate is truly awesome!

I have. Three times. That's not that high, and he almost cracks at one point. Cool he put a little grit in it, and yes, it gives it some dynamics, but that's really not enough.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1304 on: September 17, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
I imagine if they did have the orchestra, it would only be for one big event where they record it for a Live DVD or something, it's just way too expensive to have one travel and it's a logistical nightmare to find one locally around every venue to play. So, I think that idea is probably too good to be true.

Back to the album, does anyone else like TEI more now that they've heard the album? It was just a so-so run of the mill DT tune after I first heard it, but after hearing it in the context of the rest of the album, it's kicking my ass. One of the better songs on the album and not because the rest of the album is weak, I just like TEI a lot more now.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1305 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31:09 PM »
his answer was (not an identical quote but it's pretty accurate at least): "That's a very good question. I think it would be very cool to do something like that for a special event or something but Eren's still in school and besides... actually touring with an orchestra would be really expensive. You know, we would have to feed them to me and stuff..."  :lol

He obviously said it jokingly, especially that last part, but I couldn't interpret his answer any other way than that they had no such plans.

Man, you forgot the most important bit of the conversation. :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1306 on: September 17, 2013, 03:31:58 PM »

Ah. I'm sorry people feel that way. :\ I think he sounds amazing on this album, imo.

He sounds good. He's in his comfort zone. Speaking for myself, I never said James sounded anything but good. But his voice isn't very dynamic on the record. No real highs, no real lows, and this has been the second DT record in a row and fifth if you count the last three solo records, where he's been about the same area, vocally.

Nothing that really stretches him in either direction. He sounds great, but not very dynamic.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1307 on: September 17, 2013, 03:32:23 PM »
Illumination Theory...I like the 2nd half a lot.

But everybody lauding this song: do you like that first verse? Because I think it is terrible.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1308 on: September 17, 2013, 03:32:52 PM »

Back to the album, does anyone else like TEI more now that they've heard the album?

Me. I really dig the tune now.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #1309 on: September 17, 2013, 03:35:57 PM »
I must say....

You're all making it very hard for me to resist listening to IT... It's the one track I haven't heard and intend to wait til next week to listen to. I don't think I've heard so much praise for any DT song, ever. :caffeine:
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1310 on: September 17, 2013, 03:36:48 PM »
re: orchestra live....that's what I thought.  Even if they had an orchestra, would JR do the sound effect break live?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1311 on: September 17, 2013, 03:40:07 PM »
Illumination Theory...I like the 2nd half a lot.

But everybody lauding this song: do you like that first verse? Because I think it is terrible.
The "consider this question" verse? I love it, it's got such a great groove and really sticks with me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1312 on: September 17, 2013, 03:42:02 PM »
The part in Enigma Machine where the music suddenly gets very slow, definitely reminds of a similar section in YYZ by Rush as well as the section leading up to the volume swells in TCOT. Still not similar enough to consider it a ripoff, but definitely gave me that vibe.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1313 on: September 17, 2013, 03:45:42 PM »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline teclas

« Reply #1314 on: September 17, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »
This album is absolutely fantastic IMHO.  Every listen brings new things to enjoy: like that "jazz fusion piano" thing that JR does in IT.. or that bass line during the guitar solo in Surrender to Reason...great, great stuff.  I remember being 14 and discovering Dream Theater just when Awake was released (this really dates me).   Since that moment I've been expecting religiously single every DT release.  I remember vividely being blown away by ACOS, not so much by FII.  Being really pleased and borderline obsessive with SFAM, and so on.  By the time Octavarium came out I guess my taste in music changed a bit and I was into other things musically.  I listened to it, but it wasn't the same for me.  I didn't like the obvious Muse influence, band that I adored right at that time.    I felt for the first time that a DT album had filler songs.   I felt that they had a job to do, an album + big tour cycle every two years.   Consequently with every release after that I was like..meh :-\.   

Still bought every album, dvd and even quite a few ytsejam bottlegs; Still remained a big fan but that initial excitement was somehow gone.  I really hit a low point in my relationship with  DT when BCASL was released.    ADTOE brought some of it back, but this baby here of an album had me travelling through time and recreate that excitement and giddiness that I had before. 

This album makes me happy, that's it.  I'm happy to see them inspired, to see that Mangini is the drummer they needed after MP left; happy  to witness how JP just keeps becoming a  bigger monster on the guitar with every album.   Happy to see JR becoming a real sonic backbone and stay away sometimes from those 1000000 notes per minute that he used so much before.   Happy to still have an amazing band sounding very focused and cohesive putting such epic songs.

These are great times :metal.
A journey to find
The answers inside
Our illusive mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1316 on: September 17, 2013, 04:36:06 PM »
The IT easter egg just reminded me of this in a good way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBUb7b0DjNM

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1317 on: September 17, 2013, 04:59:32 PM »
I just realized how best to describe my feelings about the album: I don't actually think any of the music is bad; it holds together...in a very improvised way. But part of that haphazardness and lack of truly standout moments (IT orchestral section excepted) means the whole album just kinda blurs together. I put it on from the beginning, I listen to the music for 70 or so minutes, and before I know it I'm already at the last track. The whole rest of the album is basically like white noise to me.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1318 on: September 17, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
Well for me, it goes by pretty fast too, but so does Images & Words, and I think that makes it even stronger, because I just want to put it right back on and dive into it.

My 2 cents at least :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1319 on: September 17, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
People who don't like FAS: Imagine this song in a live setting, lights go out and this tune immediately blasts out from the PA's. Hell, that's gonna be an amazing experience.

Oh, I don't doubt it; it's just not doing anything for me in the context of this new record.

The big news might be that they are bringing a mini-orchestra with them on tour, ala Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour.  I could see it, given how much the orchestra is featured on the new album.  Plus, assuming they play Illumination Theory, having that middle section played live would be pretty cool, as opposed to it being triggered or Rudess doing it all on his keys live.  Imagine them ending one set with Illumination Theory and the other set with Octavarium. :eek :eek :eek

Those of you who are thinking that the news could have something to do with them touring with an orchestra, I'm sorry to say this but I asked John (Petrucci) if "Eren and the string section would be 'Along For The Ride'" and his answer was (not an identical quote but it's pretty accurate at least): "That's a very good question. I think it would be very cool to do something like that for a special event or something but Eren's still in school and besides... actually touring with an orchestra would be really expensive. You know, we would have to feed them and stuff..."  :lol

Agreed.  Oh well, it was nice to dream there for a few... :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1320 on: September 17, 2013, 05:17:50 PM »
Update: I'm still loving the album. Don't know if it will stand the test of time, but as of know, I'm happy.

EDIT: Am I the only one getting strong Count of Tuscany vibes from 3:42 of Enigma Machine?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1321 on: September 17, 2013, 05:39:02 PM »
Does anybody else hear a weird phasing effect on James's voice at times? Seems like a possible side-effect of pitch correction, but I'm not sure.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #1322 on: September 17, 2013, 05:42:39 PM »
I thought something was funny on the soundcloud stream comment section... at :42 of Enigma Machine, "DON'T CROSS THE CROOKED STEP"

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #1323 on: September 17, 2013, 05:43:59 PM »
Funny as most albums they have to grow on you. Having been a Rush fan since 1977 it took me forever to get into their new albums. They were just so different and so much to hear it takes many many spins. GUP is one of my fave albums by Rush and it took me forever to really appreciate it, like years. Always loved it but never understood  the complexity of it until I learned most of the songs on guitar. SNA is another one that took me forever to get and realize there's some great work on there. I didn't see it until I watched the documentary.

Just like this album, it's going to take many many spins to grasp it. Once again I have no complaints.  I love everything I hear so far, but I need to get deeper into it and use some headphones I think. It's funny how DT fans want to say "this sounds like that band or this band". I never heard a Rush fan do that, even though Rush has just as many influences. It is what it is, I've never liked Yes, SX or other so called sound alikes. What I hear is Dream Theater first and foremost!  :metal
Thanks,
Dave

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
Does anybody else hear a weird phasing effect on James's voice at times? Seems like a possible side-effect of pitch correction, but I'm not sure.

It could be the stream.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: September 17, 2013, 05:53:41 PM »
Well for me, it goes by pretty fast too, but so does Images & Words, and I think that makes it even stronger, because I just want to put it right back on and dive into it.

My 2 cents at least :P

It's a hell of a ride.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1326 on: September 17, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »
Great quote by Dave_Manchester at MP.com

Everybody has a different g-spot when it comes to music, but this album is exactly the kind of music which massages mine... 

:slowclap:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: September 17, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

On my 4th play-through now and enjoy it more each time. Enigma Machine has finally clicked for me too !!  :metal

Reminds me of when DT instrumental sections were a lot of fun before they turned into forumlaic.

Also the album on the whole reminds me of why I loved DT in the first place on albums like SFAM and Octavarium.

Offline pgf

« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2013, 06:00:21 PM »
Does anybody else think that IT from around 15:15 till the end may end up being the most beautiful piece of music ever written by DT?

Offline ProAlbino

« Reply #1329 on: September 17, 2013, 06:01:40 PM »
The Bigger Picture is so sad!  :(