Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224422 times)

Offline lovethedrake

Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #1330 on: September 17, 2013, 06:02:27 PM »
Wow, I just listened to the album with my headphones on a different computer and it sounds amazing! 

I totally take back what I said about JLB on this album... he actually sounds fantastic.   

Also, enigma machine is starting to click a bit.   

This album is a grower and not a shower folks..... that may be the best compliment I can give to this album.

Starting to rise up the ranks quickly for me!   

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #1331 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:23 PM »
Does anybody else think that IT from around 15:15 till the end may end up being the most beautiful piece of music ever written by DT?

Maybe not the best, but very close to me.

I'm loving Enigma Machine so much and I can't stop singing "someone save me, look behind the veil:biggrin:
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline evz

« Reply #1332 on: September 17, 2013, 06:08:08 PM »
Does anybody else hear a weird phasing effect on James's voice at times? Seems like a possible side-effect of pitch correction, but I'm not sure.

So far the fx I've heard have been deliberate, but that doesn't mean I'm hearing the same parts as you.  This is the most fx laden disc probably since Awake.  I love it :D

Offline evz

« Reply #1333 on: September 17, 2013, 06:12:34 PM »
Does anybody else think that IT from around 15:15 till the end may end up being the most beautiful piece of music ever written by DT?

Maybe not the best, but very close to me.

I'm loving Enigma Machine so much and I can't stop singing "someone save me, look behind the veil:biggrin:

Me too!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1334 on: September 17, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »
I just realized how best to describe my feelings about the album: I don't actually think any of the music is bad; it holds together...in a very improvised way. But part of that haphazardness and lack of truly standout moments (IT orchestral section excepted) means the whole album just kinda blurs together. I put it on from the beginning, I listen to the music for 70 or so minutes, and before I know it I'm already at the last track. The whole rest of the album is basically like white noise to me.

I have a similar problem and I think it's mainly due to the loudness. I tend to lose concentration a lot while listening to it, a lot more than with other albums. I'm very certain that the constant wall of sound I'm exposed to makes my mind drift away.

Am I the only one getting strong Count of Tuscany vibes from 3:42 of Enigma Machine?

No, that's deliberate, just like the Octavarium vibe at 18:12 of Illumination Theory.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1335 on: September 17, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Surrender To Reason is the Breaking All Illusions of this album for me.

Good - but my least favourite from each respective album.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1336 on: September 17, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
Update: I'm still loving the album. Don't know if it will stand the test of time, but as of know, I'm happy.

EDIT: Am I the only one getting strong Count of Tuscany vibes from 3:42 of Enigma Machine?

It's the same exact thing. If you didn't I'd be concerned.

Offline evz

« Reply #1337 on: September 17, 2013, 06:38:42 PM »
catching on to some of the awesome stuff Mangini brings to the table - the drum fill in IT at 15:50 where he just smacks the bejeesuz out of the octabons or whatever those are - it just feeds into the next part so magnificently...    :hefdaddy

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1338 on: September 17, 2013, 06:43:53 PM »
catching on to some of the awesome stuff Mangini brings to the table - the drum fill in IT at 15:50 where he just smacks the bejeesuz out of the octabons or whatever those are - it just feeds into the next part so magnificently...    :hefdaddy

or how about the monster fill before the main verse comes in at 3:29. Mangini killed it!

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1339 on: September 17, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
Last two or so minutes of Surrender To Reason  :'( so beautiful

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: September 17, 2013, 07:07:48 PM »
The more I listen to the album, the better it gets.  This album has so much great stuff going on, it needs a lot of listens.  I'm really impressed with it. 

I think people saying they can't remember anything need to keep listening.  Because I kind of felt that way after a couple listens and still do.  The more I listen more stuff starts to stand out and I'm starting to get familiar.  Actually, this feels exactly how it felt when I heard SFAM for the first time.  I listened to that album and it just confused the shit out of me.  This album is kind of like that.

I really feel like this album is going to grow on me immensely.  I just keep wanting to listen to it more and more which I never ever felt for the last two albums.  I think there is definitely something special about this album.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Benedettosoxfan

« Reply #1341 on: September 17, 2013, 07:08:20 PM »
Well, I just finished Illumination Theory and another outstanding album. I don't think I can possibly be disappointed by a Dream Theater album. Everything they do is magnificent and every song is great. I honestly thought I was going to be let down by IT, but now I'm looking at one of the all time greats. The orchestral part about 9 minutes in blew me away. I can't recall ever being so genuinely moved by a piece of music. I cried and I didn't even realize I was crying. I didn't feel like I was in my own body. And then when the band got going again, a big part of me thought "This is great, but I wouldn't mind if the orchestra never went away." Life is good. Thank you, DT  ;D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: September 17, 2013, 07:09:57 PM »
Bizarrely - not only do the songs get better on repeated listens but the production does too.

Probably just acclimatising to it - but the really aggressive feel of all the instruments really works.

This album has so much punch that A Dramatic Turn... was lacking.

Really looking forward to blasting this album on CD.

Offline philippaopao

« Reply #1343 on: September 17, 2013, 07:23:26 PM »
I just absolutely adore JLB's varied vocal passages in IT, especially the sequence of "Hate dividing us, love reminding us" and "Hope can be a shadow fleeting", he's really on fire in this album!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1344 on: September 17, 2013, 07:32:43 PM »
This album brings an element that has been light or missing on several previous albums, good old-fashioned piano. The few times JR uses it really elevates the song in a way I haven't heard since About To Crash, this needs to become more prominent in the future.

This album also has the least amount of "wankery" in a long time, IT and EM are the only tracks that really have anything that could fall under that label and it's tastefully done and shorter on average.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1345 on: September 17, 2013, 07:40:47 PM »
This album brings an element that has been light or missing on several previous albums, good old-fashioned piano. The few times JR uses it really elevates the song in a way I haven't heard since About To Crash, this needs to become more prominent in the future.
There is actually a lot of piano on every single DT album that JR has played on.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline farsight

« Reply #1346 on: September 17, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
While I think Roadrunner is doing a great job promoting DT, how they picked AFTR and TEI as singles and totally miss the most catchy and the best standalone track in the album (The Bigger Picture) is beyond me. It's probably the most congruent thing the band has done in a while (except the weird intro and end, maybe it used to be a much longer song?). Everybody gets to stand out at least once in the song. Love MM and JR's work in this one.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1347 on: September 17, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »
Bizarrely - not only do the songs get better on repeated listens but the production does too.

Probably just acclimatising to it - but the really aggressive feel of all the instruments really works.

Totally agree. With every additional listen I'm like "this mix really isn't bad". Somehow it just sounds cleaner with more listens. Can't explain why, though.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1348 on: September 17, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
Dream Theater is clearly brain-washing you into loving the mix.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1349 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
Update: I'm still loving the album. Don't know if it will stand the test of time, but as of know, I'm happy.

EDIT: Am I the only one getting strong Count of Tuscany vibes from 3:42 of Enigma Machine?

It's the same exact thing. If you didn't I'd be concerned.

Well, good that you don't have to be concerned then, Mister. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1350 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:43 PM »

Totally agree. With every additional listen I'm like "this mix really isn't bad". Somehow it just sounds cleaner with more listens. Can't explain why, though.

I think the mix is pretty good.  It's mastered too hot though.  Too compressed.  I do enjoy the mix though.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: September 17, 2013, 08:09:45 PM »
First listen to Enigma Machine, the first riff -that returns later- is pretty awesome and totally promises a tense instrumental but then the song kinda wanders off and loses my attention for some reason, pretty sure it will grow on me though.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1352 on: September 17, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »

That's only until you listen to.. Anything else.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #1353 on: September 17, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
The best thing? The way Mangini and Myung lock in so well. I've never heard such a great sync between drummer and bass since FII. Being a drummer myself, nothing beats hearing the rythym section play off each other so well. IT has me kind of gobsmacked actually.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1354 on: September 17, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
There is actually a lot of piano on every single DT album that JR has played on.

I feel the exact opposite. I feel like there's substantially less real piano on this album than just about any previous ones... And also just much less JR presence, which I feel takes a bit of the DT element out of the music...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1355 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
Not sure what you mean, JR is all over the place.  He's just doing less wheedly-deedly than usual.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #1356 on: September 17, 2013, 08:23:33 PM »
I have to say after 10 listens, everything after the 15:50 mark of Illumination Theory is the most epic part of any DT song ever written.

The last choruses of Surrender to Reason are annoyingly catchy and I can't help but hum the melody everytime I'm not listening to anything.

This might break the Holy Trinity for me.

Offline evz

« Reply #1357 on: September 17, 2013, 08:29:38 PM »
I have to say after 10 listens, everything after the 15:50 mark of Illumination Theory is the most epic part of any DT song ever written.

The last choruses of Surrender to Reason are annoyingly catchy and I can't help but hum the melody everytime I'm not listening to anything.

This might break the Holy Trinity for me.

Holy Quadrupoly?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1358 on: September 17, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Not sure what you mean, JR is all over the place.  He's just doing less wheedly-deedly than usual.

The most perfect description ever!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1359 on: September 17, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »
Got another listen in tonight.  I officially do not understand why any Dream Theater fan would dislike this album.  If you do not like this album, we are on different wavelengths.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1360 on: September 17, 2013, 08:41:07 PM »
Got another listen in tonight.  I officially do not understand why any Dream Theater fan would dislike this album.  If you do not like this album, we are on different wavelengths.
This, although I'm not sure if you're in the "FUCKILOVETHISALBUM" camp like me :P

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1361 on: September 17, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
I think I am.  I've just been heaping praise on the album since the stream was put up.  It's kind of embarrassing, actually, since just about everyone else has been much more reserved, but every time I listen to it I become more certain that I'll eventually view this as being on the same tier as Images and Six Degrees.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1362 on: September 17, 2013, 08:46:04 PM »
I think I am.  I've just been heaping praise on the album since the stream was put up.  It's kind of embarrassing, actually, since just about everyone else has been much more reserved, but every time I listen to it I become more certain that I'll eventually view this as being on the same tier as Images and Six Degrees.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one then :)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1363 on: September 17, 2013, 08:50:03 PM »

Yep. It may not always feature prominently and upfront, but there's piano on a lot more than people realize, although DT's music is so dense, and JR's keyboards so layered (and often mixed low), that a lot of people probably miss it. Looking at their recent few albums, these are the songs there is some form of piano in (I may even be missing some)-

ToT - every song but As I Am, and HTF, and that's on the balls to the wall heavy album.
8V - every single song
SC - every single song, again on a pretty heavy album overall
BCASL - all but AROP
ADTOE - OTBOA, LNF, TITL, Outcry, FFH, BAI (surprisingly not on BTS that I could spot)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1364 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:23 PM »

The most perfect description ever!
Let me be clear that I am in no way anti-wheedly-deedly.