Author Topic: Self Titled Album Discussion thread [Expect Spoilers]  (Read 224412 times)

Offline dparrott

Re: Self Titled Stream Discussion thread [READ FIRST POST, SPOILERS THEREAFTER]
« Reply #1260 on: September 17, 2013, 01:21:20 PM »
Hey, DTF.  I know the album stream is beyond awesome.  But there is even more cool news coming very soon.  SOON...  :soon:

...as in December.  :\
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1261 on: September 17, 2013, 01:22:34 PM »
What in the world is James saying during the high verse in the middle of IT? Right after "a junkie for the high"?

"A soldier for his country
A junkie for the high
Teachers for their students
Vengeance for a crime

Rebels for their freedom
A tyrant for the prize
Courage for salvation
Money, love, and faith"
That's it. And it's "martyrs for the kingdom" in the earlier verse, right?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: September 17, 2013, 01:23:28 PM »
What in the world is James saying during the high verse in the middle of IT? Right after "a junkie for the high"?

"A soldier for his country
A junkie for the high
Teachers for their students
Vengeance for a crime

Rebels for their freedom
A tyrant for the prize
Courage for salvation
Money, love, and faith"
That's it. And it's "martyrs for the kingdom" in the earlier verse, right?

Yup!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1263 on: September 17, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
Big news eh?

Maybe Awake in it's entirety for the first set and all of DT12 in the 2nd set?
Haha, I doubt it. What good reason do they have for playing Awake in its entirety? Everything is about DT12 now.

Actually, I see that if they do an Evening With format, DT12 would be a good first set. Illumination Theory is just an odd concert closer.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #1264 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
...are you me? :lol I literally just said this in the other thread.

Great minds!  :tup

Glad someone else shares my opinion   :biggrin:

I also share the same opinion about the lyrics even though I am not a big fan of the album just yet.

With lyrics in rock metal songs increasingly becoming more negative it is refreshing to see and hear upbeat lyrics.  I think the lyrics on the album are good quality.  Just not a huge fan of many of the songs.

Anyway....if people have problems with spiritual,religious lyrics....they don't have to be interpreted that way.  Just interpret them as being positive in life.  Don't know why people have a problem with upbeat lyrics but are more cool with lyrics about murder, death, destruction, or hate.  (I listen to stuff like  Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera also and I get the style of music fits the lyrics for those bands)  Anyway, I commend DT for putting out positive lyrics)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #1265 on: September 17, 2013, 02:01:43 PM »

Rebels for their freedom
A tyrant for the prize
Courage for salvation
Money, love, and faith"

It's "Cowards for salvation".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1266 on: September 17, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »
The big news might be that they are bringing a mini-orchestra with them on tour, ala Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour.  I could see it, given how much the orchestra is featured on the new album.  Plus, assuming they play Illumination Theory, having that middle section played live would be pretty cool, as opposed to it being triggered or Rudess doing it all on his keys live.  Imagine them ending one set with Illumination Theory and the other set with Octavarium. :eek :eek :eek

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1267 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:30 PM »
The big news might be that they are bringing a mini-orchestra with them on tour, ala Rush on the Clockwork Angels tour.  I could see it, given how much the orchestra is featured on the new album.  Plus, assuming they play Illumination Theory, having that middle section played live would be pretty cool, as opposed to it being triggered or Rudess doing it all on his keys live.  Imagine them ending one set with Illumination Theory and the other set with Octavarium. :eek :eek :eek

This would indeed be awesome! I had the chance to see Rush on that tour and it was amazing!

Also, DT, please feel free to release a making-of for this album! Thanks!
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1268 on: September 17, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
Big news eh?

Maybe Awake in it's entirety for the first set and all of DT12 in the 2nd set?
Haha, I doubt it. What good reason do they have for playing Awake in its entirety? Everything is about DT12 now.

Actually, I see that if they do an Evening With format, DT12 would be a good first set. Illumination Theory is just an odd concert closer.

It is Awake's twentieth anniversary next year, but I think a celebration of SFAM's 15th is more likely. But neither is going to be a regular part of the set.

I reckon every DT12 song will be played at each show, but not the album from front to back (at least not every night). It'll be spread out across the show I think.

And 'Evening With' has been confirmed, in case you hadn't seen. 

Offline FourthHorseman

• Cultivating my own nonsense
« Reply #1269 on: September 17, 2013, 02:16:08 PM »
I would love to see all of DT12 in the first set and all of Awake in the last, yes with SDV!

I probably shouldn't get my hopes up though

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1270 on: September 17, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
I love the speculation.   :biggrin:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1271 on: September 17, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »
The solo section in Behind The Veil is gold, especially Jordan's solo. So awesome.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1272 on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:11 PM »
Rudess said a few months ago that he forgot how awesome Octavarium is. This theory of yours might be onto something.

*Crosses fingers*

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1273 on: September 17, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
My show prediction...with orchestra... Small first set of various songs, DT12 for the second set, Octavarium for the encore....

Then figure out somehow how to get me back to life, cause that set would literally kill me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1274 on: September 17, 2013, 02:27:45 PM »
Well, Octavarium and Illumination Theory both feature a real orchestra, so it would make sense to play both if they were gonna tour with a mini-orchestra or something.  Playing two 20-minute songs every night would be quite the choir, though.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1275 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:03 PM »
My show prediction...with orchestra... Small first set of various songs, DT12 for the second set, Octavarium for the encore....

Then figure out somehow how to get me back to life, cause that set would literally kill me.
Or figure out why it would be worth living after the concert, because you would have no more goals to live for.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1276 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
I'd think the orchestra would be a break/tape instead of JR trying to play it.  But JR playing it could give it a unique sound.....

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1277 on: September 17, 2013, 02:29:37 PM »
I'd think the orchestra would be a break/tape instead of JR trying to play it.  But JR playing it could give it a unique sound.....

Eh, I'd rather he not.  It would come off as too fake and plastic-y sounding, for lack of a better term, like much of 6DOIT's Overture does.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1278 on: September 17, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
Well, Octavarium and Illumination Theory both feature a real orchestra, so it would make sense to play both if they were gonna tour with a mini-orchestra or something.  Playing two 20-minute songs every night would be quite the choir, though.
Both songs have sections where there isn't much going on, so I don't think it would be too much of a burden on the DT guys. IT has that middle 'break' section and Octavarium has the beginning where its just JR jamming and then a few minutes of very tamed playing from the rest of the guys before the song moves to the third movement.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1279 on: September 17, 2013, 02:33:14 PM »

Or figure out why it would be worth living after the concert, because you would have no more goals to live for.

Not true, I still have to see Cal play in the Rose Bowl.  That alone should ensure a long life...

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1280 on: September 17, 2013, 02:41:36 PM »
Im sure this has been said before but The Looking Glass apart from the heavy Rush influence reminds me so much of the FII era tracks. Everytime I hear it I cant help but think of Raise the Knife, Dont look past me, Where Are you now? and of course Trial of tears. Such an uplifting song.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1281 on: September 17, 2013, 02:48:26 PM »
People who don't like FAS: Imagine this song in a live setting, lights go out and this tune immediately blasts out from the PA's. Hell, that's gonna be an amazing experience.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1282 on: September 17, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
People who don't like FAS: Imagine this song in a live setting, lights go out and this tune immediately blasts out from the PA's. Hell, that's gonna be an amazing experience.
Its not really even a song. Its entire purpose is to serve at the concert opener before the band hits the stage and in that capacity, the Suite works incredibly well.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1283 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »

Guys guys guys stop talking about Dream Theater touring with an orchestra. My heart can't take this! :faint:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #1284 on: September 17, 2013, 02:50:43 PM »
BtV solo is awesome.

More thumbs up for BtV solo, it's so awesome, and I just love when he does that short sweep during the chorus after the solo :metal

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1285 on: September 17, 2013, 02:51:49 PM »
i want my boxset now pls

when i got the BC&SL box it came like 6 days early. hoping that'll happen again

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1286 on: September 17, 2013, 02:53:50 PM »
Yeah, I checked my order, and it's shipped, I'd love to get my record a few days early  :laugh:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1287 on: September 17, 2013, 02:55:18 PM »
BtV solo is awesome.

More thumbs up for BtV solo, it's so awesome, and I just love when he does that short sweep during the chorus after the solo :metal
I love Jordan's solo in that instrumental section. Sounds fucking sick over the underlying riff.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1288 on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
News? :O

It gotta be something tour-related. Touring with a small orchestra would make sense, sound wise. They don't want to play the whole IT section on a tape or with patches.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline dparrott

« Reply #1289 on: September 17, 2013, 03:00:01 PM »
Yea, 6DOIT's overture was mostly a tape (except Score), so that's also in my theory. 

Save the orchestra for the Along For The Ride concert DVD :)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1290 on: September 17, 2013, 03:04:30 PM »
I think this is a good record. I wasn't floored by ADToE, although I thought it was a step in the right direction. DT '13 is another step, more like a leap up. It's more accessible, it sounds a little more inspired and the long songs don't actually sound long for the sake of being long. Illumination Theory is downright amazing.

That said, I'm sorta laughing at myself with one of my biggest criticisms of the record. I am the guy that for years has said that james labrie sounds best when he's allowed to sing in his comfort zone. And on ADToE and his last few solo albums he has. So it's sorta ironic that I now criticize him for doing it again on DT'13. But I am.

He's not doing anything out of his comfort range. He's not stretching high or going real low. And while James sounds great (he really does), his performance isn't dynamic, range-wise, which is bothering me. Ray Alder does a similar thing on the new Fates Warning. Great performance, but not rangy AT ALL. Right in the same area for the entire record.

So that bothers me.

But Jordan has tamed his circus act keyboards quite a bit, which is good to my ears. I know people love his whole carnival tone, but it grates on me like nails on a chalkboard. And much of that is removed from this album, thankfully.

Anyway, I'm encouraged by this release. I don't think they tackle any new ground musically, but I guess that can't really be expected from a band that has been around for 30 years. They've found a formula that works and are sticking to it. And it sounds good, if a little tried and true.

Good record. Just finishing my third and final listen until the CD gets here. Looking forward to seeing these tunes live. The Enemy Inside is also much better than I remembered it at first listen.  :tup
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #1291 on: September 17, 2013, 03:07:26 PM »
He's not doing anything out of his comfort range. He's not stretching high or going real low. And while James sounds great (he really does), his performance isn't dynamic, range-wise, which is bothering me. Ray Alder does a similar thing on the new Fates Warning. Great performance, but not rangy AT ALL. Right in the same area for the entire record.

Not to sound rude, but did you hear that one section of IT? :huh:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #1292 on: September 17, 2013, 03:11:04 PM »

Not to sound rude, but did you hear that one section of IT? :huh:

Listen from 11:00 onward on IT... JLB slays the vocals. Hearing him get that high, dynamic, and passionate is truly awesome!
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1293 on: September 17, 2013, 03:12:23 PM »
I'm really loving the run of songs from Enigma Machine through to Surrender to Reason - such great stuff.

And then of course IT is amazing.

Those are the highlights for me at the moment, but it's all good!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1294 on: September 17, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
Popping in with another random observation that I had initially. The lead tones between JR and JP on Enigma Machine are very well matched and complimentary. Since this is nearly the only trade-off solo section in the album, please note that I said nearly, I find their choice very satisfying.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens