Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 88612 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #385 on: August 07, 2013, 07:56:17 AM »
I think if they were going to play SDV at all now that Portnoy is gone, they would have done so on the ADTOE tour. I can't imagine why they'd wait until the second tour after his leaving to play it.

I'm not expecting to ever see it on a setlist.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #386 on: August 07, 2013, 07:58:24 AM »
I'M A GHOST AND I HAVE MAGICAL POWERS :mora:

I think this wins the battle
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #387 on: August 07, 2013, 08:17:54 AM »
I think if they were going to play SDV at all now that Portnoy is gone, they would have done so on the ADTOE tour. I can't imagine why they'd wait until the second tour after his leaving to play it.

When James was interviewed during the summer tour in 2011 he said the ADTOE tour is all about reestablishing the band and introducing Mangini to the fans, but it's not impossible that they might play some obscure songs on future tours. Also, Along for the Ride will be "an evening with DT" tour, so SDV could work as a nice breather in the long setlist and it could even be played as a James & Jordan duo version like the Tarrytown performance. As I said in my previous post I'm not sure they will play SDV, but I also can't see any reason why they shouldn't play it.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #388 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:11 AM »
I'M A GHOST AND I HAVE MAGICAL POWERS :mora:

I think this wins the battle

This, basically.

Anyways, didn't one of the band members say that Kevin just came in with Space Dye Vest as a complete song written by him? They always have said SDV was 100% Kevin's. ACoS, however, is Dream Theater, not just Mike's.

I would still rather they play Octavarium, but that's just me. However, with the inclusion of the new epic, Illumination Theory, we might not even get another epic, though that's doubtful considering it's an Evening With show with no openers (I'm pretty sure).
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #389 on: August 07, 2013, 11:17:23 AM »

When James was interviewed during the summer tour in 2011 he said the ADTOE tour is all about reestablishing the band and introducing Mangini to the fans, but it's not impossible that they might play some obscure songs on future tours. Also, Along for the Ride will be "an evening with DT" tour, so SDV could work as a nice breather in the long setlist and it could even be played as a James & Jordan duo version like the Tarrytown performance. As I said in my previous post I'm not sure they will play SDV, but I also can't see any reason why they shouldn't play it.
Unless they wanna:

a) offend Kevin's feelings towards the song (which he documentedly doesn't have)
b) not play a song with lyrics penned by an ex-member, kind of like all the MP songs they didn't play... aw, wait, they played them
c) not play a song that's 100% Kevin Moore specifically, kind of like Wait For Sleep which they... DID play past tour (see a recurring pattern here? :P)
d) leave a song in their catalog unplayed for no reason

... they could play it. The only reasonable option is that they either don't like it - and James and Jordan seem to like it, so that leaves JP and JMX - or that they don't need a slow piano ballad in the set, and with three hours, they do.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »
They could choose much better piano ballads to play.

Like any of them.

They should do Disappear.

They should do all of disc 1 of SDOIT. Fight the neglect!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »
But...but Space Dye Vest is the best song off of Awake!

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #392 on: August 07, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »

no

I would probably leave that show after TGP. Disappear is excellent too, and TGD is great, but having to sit through both Blind Faith and DT's weakest song to date would kill every bit of enthusiasm I would have had at the beginning.

But...but Space Dye Vest is the best song off of Awake!

:hifive:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
But...but Space Dye Vest is best left off Awake!

Fix'd for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #394 on: August 07, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #395 on: August 07, 2013, 11:48:30 AM »
But...but Space Dye Vest is best left off Awake!

Fix'd for me.

:tup One of the reason I rank Awake right at the bottom.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #396 on: August 07, 2013, 11:49:50 AM »
Didn't they play Disappear last tour?
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #397 on: August 07, 2013, 11:50:40 AM »

Like any of them.

They should do Disappear.

Heck why not both of these things. It would make me happy.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #398 on: August 07, 2013, 12:00:03 PM »
I am still not sure how great of a live song Space Dye Vest would be, and I wonder just how much of the average DT crowd would actually know the song.  Not everyone is an internet junkie who knows every DT song like the back of their hand. ;)  And I doubt the band would take the Portnoy approach of, "We have to play it once, just so we can say we played it."

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #399 on: August 07, 2013, 12:01:54 PM »

As far as I know, no

Offline LTE3

« Reply #400 on: August 07, 2013, 12:31:51 PM »
I just realized how much I miss Portnoy. Somehow I think he was the SOUL of Dream theater.
I'm going to try to explain why;

When Portnoy was around , I had this feeling like we fans were a lot more important.  All the Portnoy's updates, messages etc. etc.  made me feel like I  was important to him.
Everyone knows that Portnoy loves his fans and he really can show it! I'm not trying to say that DT without Portnoy doesn't care about their fans. But When he was around I almost had this feeling like I was somehow part of Dream Theater.

But I don't get that feeling anymore.
When Portnoy was around the relationship with DT and fans could be described as "We"  and now it is more like "Us and them".

But yeah, this was only my opinion  :angel:
I'm interested to know what you guys think.  :D

Agree 100% sorry I missed the poll. I Think Mike is happy with what he is doing now, but I only hope in a couple years the guys all come to their senses.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #401 on: August 07, 2013, 12:36:45 PM »
Disappear and Space Dye Vest live would be so awesome. Disappear has only been played twice AFAIK.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #402 on: August 07, 2013, 01:18:13 PM »
Yikes...  :\

When did this thread become yet another discussion of "Will DT ever play _______ (insert song here written by ____ [insert former band member here]) live post-____(insert former band member here)?"
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #403 on: August 07, 2013, 02:32:58 PM »
"Mike was also asked whether he would one day be willing to reunite with DREAM THEATER and rejoin the band as their drummer. "Sure," he replied. "I would do it in a heartbeat. They are the ones that have closed the door on it. I've only needed a break, and I've had that break. So I'm ready, willing and able. But I honestly don't think they ever will; they've closed their door on it and I think they're too headstrong in having to prove themselves without me. So I wouldn't count on it. But my door is always open."

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193252

Only read this now, but man. 3 years later.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #404 on: August 07, 2013, 02:41:55 PM »
Calling the band headstrong was a little silly, imo. I still feel like MP just doesn't think about the things he's going to say in interviews, as much as it sounds like he has premeditated stuff, because little things like that always come out and then people bash on him just for that, endlessly. And while I agree that he shouldn't be insulting his old band, I'm not always sure that he really means it in any kind of negative way.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #405 on: August 07, 2013, 02:51:43 PM »
He should just not answer those questions. Simple as that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #406 on: August 07, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
One of my main beefs with Mike whenever he mentions DT in interviews is that it still sounds like they pushed him out of the band.

The fact is he quit because 4/5 of the band didn´t agree with him - his own decision, his own fault.
He says that they have to "prove" themselves, that they need to show to the world that they can continue without him.
Well, off course they do! The fact is they proved it to the world two and a half years ago.. Jeez man..

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #407 on: August 07, 2013, 02:58:57 PM »
He should just not answer those questions. Simple as that.

I don't think he has your infinite wisdom.

rumborak

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #408 on: August 07, 2013, 03:09:09 PM »
Yikes...  :\

When did this thread become yet another discussion of "Will DT ever play _______ (insert song here written by ____ [insert former band member here]) live post-____(insert former band member here)?"

It became that when someone said that DT will never play ACOS because it's Portnoy's song.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #409 on: August 07, 2013, 03:49:27 PM »
No.  It's only been played twice ever, both on the TOT tour:

1) the awesome NY show
2) Budokan
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #410 on: August 07, 2013, 03:50:27 PM »
ACOS deserves to be replayed, but then again it's Portnoy's own angst story. ACOS won't be the same without Portnoy playing the drums. If they do ACOS, it must be with Portnoy.

I suppose Mangini would do it fine as well.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #411 on: August 07, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
As much as I want DT to be playing lots of those old Portnoy songs (OMG ACOS), because lots of them are my favorites, I completely understand and respect why they might not play some of them. I know that MP only wrote the lyrics, and the music is "Dream Theater's," but would you be comfortable playing a huge epic that is all about your ex-band-member-of-25-years' mother dying when he was a kid?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #412 on: August 07, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »
ACOS deserves to be replayed, but then again it's Portnoy's own angst story. ACOS won't be the same without Portnoy playing the drums. If they do ACOS, it must be with Portnoy.

I suppose Mangini would do it fine as well.

What does this mean?  Mangini is perfectly capable of playing anything Portnoy has played.  They have already played songs that are "personal" to MP live.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #413 on: August 07, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »
It means that ACOS needs Portnoy to have the traditional mindset and emotional feedback, that's all.

Offline adamack

« Reply #414 on: August 07, 2013, 04:49:27 PM »
I miss MP, as he was my favorite personality in DT, one of my personal heroes, and my favorite drummer of all time.

HOWEVER, I am actually glad that things happened the way they did. Here's why:

A little brief background on my feelings....

When the news dropped of MP leaving DT, I must admit that I thought to myself, "it's over."

I've always felt like MP had been the "adhesive" that kept DT, as a band, an entity, and as a business, together.

His OCD proved to be a valuable disorder, in that it forced him to be a work horse and be constantly working, never wasting any time.  The guy never stops, and most importantly he has fun doing it!

I also felt that he was the "coolest" member of DT, in a sense that he brought a very colorful personality to the band with his extensive knowledge, his basketball jerseys, and his respect for modern metal, movies, TV shows, etc. And he is great in interviews! Of course all of these things seem petty, and they aren't requirements by any stretch, but they added another dimension to DT that broke the typical prog band member mold, and made the band even more interesting.

For some reason, I thought that after he left, DT would gradually start to wind down. I thought that albums would stop coming out every 2 years like clockwork, and I thought the band would begin showing their age.

I WAS TOTALLY WRONG.

I know that ADToE has its mixed reviews, but to me, the album was nothing short of incredible.

MP's last album, BCaSL, was good, but I put ADToE a solid 2-3 spots higher on my favorite DT albums list.

I honestly believe that deep inside, DT felt as if it had something to prove after the loss of MP. It was this motivation that led them to create an amazing album, and against so many expectations, continue making the most amazing music in the world without MP.

As for MM, I must admit that at first I wasn't too fond of him. I can't put a finger on why, but it was probably because MP was (and still is) my favorite musician, and I felt that nobody could come close to replacing him.

But now, I think MM is an awesome guy, and is only getting better and better as DT's drummer.

So overall, I never in a million years thought I would be saying this, but based upon DT's current track record so far with MM, I couldn't be happier with how things are shaping up.

*Raises glass to DT* :metal

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #415 on: August 07, 2013, 05:25:40 PM »
*informative well written post*

Please never stop posting at this site. Mmmmkay?!  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #416 on: August 07, 2013, 05:33:10 PM »
As much as I want DT to be playing lots of those old Portnoy songs (OMG ACOS), because lots of them are my favorites, I completely understand and respect why they might not play some of them. I know that MP only wrote the lyrics, and the music is "Dream Theater's," but would you be comfortable playing a huge epic that is all about your ex-band-member-of-25-years' mother dying when he was a kid?

No, because:
1.  They've played it a bunch of times before
2.  It is a huge fan favorite
3.  The lyrics are poetic and nonliteral, so they can be a bit more universal than Mike's specific situation
4.  The events happened a LONG time ago
5.  I honestly doubt Mike would care in the slightest if they played it

In contrast, take a song like The Best Of Times.  Yeah, it's just as personal, if not moreso.  But:
1.  It has never been played before
2.  It doesn't have any real history with the fans at all, so it isn't quite the "fixture" in DT history that ACOS is
3.  The lyrics are very literal and specific, which would make them hard to identify with outside of the very specific context of Mike losing his dad.
4.  The events are fairly recent and fresh
5.  If I had to guess, I think Mike would prefer that this not be played

I can honestly say that I don't think they would have any problem whatsoever playing ACOS.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #417 on: August 07, 2013, 05:42:29 PM »

No, because:
1.  They've played it a bunch of times before
2.  It is a huge fan favorite
3.  The lyrics are poetic and nonliteral, so they can be a bit more universal than Mike's specific situation
4.  The events happened a LONG time ago
5.  I honestly doubt Mike would care in the slightest if they played it

In contrast, take a song like The Best Of Times.  Yeah, it's just as personal, if not moreso.  But:
1.  It has never been played before
2.  It doesn't have any real history with the fans at all, so it isn't quite the "fixture" in DT history that ACOS is
3.  The lyrics are very literal and specific, which would make them hard to identify with outside of the very specific context of Mike losing his dad.
4.  The events are fairly recent and fresh
5.  If I had to guess, I think Mike would prefer that this not be played

I can honestly say that I don't think they would have any problem whatsoever playing ACOS.

Bosk, every time you post somewhere, the red squares under your name make me feel like you're automatically angry about everything :lol even though I know you're not (I hope...??)

Those are all good points. I completely agree about TBOT. And I can't speak for the guys in DT, obviously, about their feelings on ACOS. You may be right, that they'd have no problem playing it. On the other hand though, while many fans and more casual listeners probably don't even know what the song is about, making it a non-issue for them, the band members do know what it's about, so that's why I think it's possible they wouldn't want to play it without Mike.

I'm only basing this on my own opinion. I feel that if I were in their position, I wouldn't want to play it out of respect/other emotions/things. But that's only me.

I would still love it if they played it, anyway :D

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #418 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:27 PM »
I honestly don't think the band would mind playing the song. At least not on the count of MP or anything. But you know what I just realized? I don't really care that much if they play it live or not. I mean, yes, this song is a staple of DT history, and one of their most defining songs, but... I don't know. I'm kind of over it. I mean, it's over 20 minutes long. I'd rather hear them play two 10 minute songs like Learning To Live, Home, ITPOE1, or something else of the sort.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ytsejammin

• The biggest DT freak in Idaho
« Reply #419 on: August 07, 2013, 06:43:31 PM »
I know this is now a SDV thread but , I think we already talked about this 3-4 weeks ago. Still , a worthwhile topic.
Through natures inflexible grace , I\'m learning to live.