Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 87172 times)

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #350 on: August 06, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
Whoever is correct about Octavarium in saying certain songs sound too much like DT doing U2 or Muse etc. This was one of the main problems though I appreciated MP's effort to explore new influences. However, the reason why those songs turned out to be atrocious is because DT is not U2, and DT is not a bad that writes music in same style. As a result it sounded like a band trying to write in a style they weren't very good in. Similarly, I don't think U2 would fare well writing progressive metal.

When one of the members of the band comes out and says I Walk Beside you was passed around to commercial radio for airplay, in the way that this tune presumably was, you know something has gone terribly wrong.

I also concur with what Kirk said about Octavarium in terms of production.

Why is it a bad thing that I Walk Beside you was passed around to radio stations? :huh:

Passing a song onto a radio station on its face isn't bad. It was the logical conclusion of writing a song of this type.

Anyway, I hope this never happens again in the Mangini era.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #351 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:48 PM »
Whoever is correct about Octavarium in saying certain songs sound too much like DT doing U2 or Muse etc. This was one of the main problems though I appreciated MP's effort to explore new influences. However, the reason why those songs turned out to be atrocious is because DT is not U2, and DT is not a bad that writes music in same style. As a result it sounded like a band trying to write in a style they weren't very good in. Similarly, I don't think U2 would fare well writing progressive metal.

When one of the members of the band comes out and says I Walk Beside you was passed around to commercial radio for airplay, in the way that this tune presumably was, you know something has gone terribly wrong.

I also concur with what Kirk said about Octavarium in terms of production.

Why is it a bad thing that I Walk Beside you was passed around to radio stations? :huh:

Passing a song onto a radio station on its face isn't bad. It was the logical conclusion of writing a song of this type.

Anyway, I hope this never happens again in the Mangini era.

Well, I Walk Beside You has a very deep connection for me, personally, and even previous to making that connection, and after it's become less significant, I still find it to be a great song. I simply don't care that it's radio-friendly, or even that it was intended that way.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #352 on: August 06, 2013, 07:29:39 PM »

Despite all of that, based on the way ADTOE sounded and on what I'm hearing about the new single and how it sounds.....I'm starting to wonder if Dream Theater will ever put out another recording that sounds as good as Octavarium does on a sonic level?  I mean, it's far from perfect, but Octavarium is pure sonic bliss compared to the wet-blanket-over-speakers sound of ADTOE.

Surely a band this far along in their career has SOMEONE to help them sound good?

While I don't quite agree with you about ADTOE (I enjoyed the way everything sounded except the bass drums, and sometimes JP's solos sounded too small), I can firmly agree that it seems as if the band has not had any consistency whatsoever in the production of their albums, since 8VM. I've always tried to ignore the fact that it might be because MP and JP became the producers starting with SC, but with each new album, that does seem more and more to be the culprit :/

MP & JP became the producers with Scenes.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #353 on: August 06, 2013, 10:19:07 PM »

Despite all of that, based on the way ADTOE sounded and on what I'm hearing about the new single and how it sounds.....I'm starting to wonder if Dream Theater will ever put out another recording that sounds as good as Octavarium does on a sonic level?  I mean, it's far from perfect, but Octavarium is pure sonic bliss compared to the wet-blanket-over-speakers sound of ADTOE.

Surely a band this far along in their career has SOMEONE to help them sound good?

While I don't quite agree with you about ADTOE (I enjoyed the way everything sounded except the bass drums, and sometimes JP's solos sounded too small), I can firmly agree that it seems as if the band has not had any consistency whatsoever in the production of their albums, since 8VM. I've always tried to ignore the fact that it might be because MP and JP became the producers starting with SC, but with each new album, that does seem more and more to be the culprit :/

MP & JP became the producers with Scenes.

??? Was it that they became the Sole producers starting with SC? I could swear they say something like that on the special edition DVD.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #354 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
??? Was it that they became the Sole producers starting with SC? I could swear they say something like that on the special edition DVD.

They've been sole producers since SFAM. They back covers say produced by Mike Portnoy / John Petrucci for all of them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: August 06, 2013, 10:33:46 PM »
I don't think we'll ever see Glass Prison again. I know we won't see ACoS.
No reason to think this.  I fully expect to see both songs again, hopefully on the upcoming tour.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline adastra

« Reply #356 on: August 06, 2013, 11:26:50 PM »
No reason to think this.  I fully expect to see both songs again, hopefully on the upcoming tour.

ACoS without Portnoy   :-\
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #357 on: August 06, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »

Why the sad face?  I would love to hear Mangini play on that song.  Mainly because it would mean we would finally hear that song again.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline adastra

« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2013, 11:34:13 PM »

Why the sad face?  I would love to hear Mangini play on that song.  Mainly because it would mean we would finally hear that song again.

I think it is sad to hear that song without Portnoy on drums ._.  I always had this feeling like it was "his masterpiece".
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #359 on: August 06, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »
I think it is sad to hear that song without Portnoy on drums ._.  I always had this feeling like it was "his masterpiece".

He may have wrote the lyrics, but it's not like he wrote the music all by himself, is it?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline adastra

« Reply #360 on: August 06, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »

He may have wrote the lyrics, but it's not like he wrote the music all by himself, is it?

propably not.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #361 on: August 07, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

propably not.
???  Definitely not.

« Reply #362 on: August 07, 2013, 12:08:10 AM »
Right, so I wouldn't call it MP's masterpiece by a long shot. A Change Of Seasons belongs to the entirety of Dream Theater. I think it's one of the songs that defines the band, and there's no reason to say it belongs to MP. It's not Space-Dye Vest.

Offline adastra

« Reply #363 on: August 07, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Right, so I wouldn't call it MP's masterpiece by a long shot. A Change Of Seasons belongs to the entirety of Dream Theater. I think it's one of the songs that defines the band, and there's no reason to say it belongs to MP. It's not Space-Dye Vest.

Like i said, it has always felt like that for me.  I'm not saying that it is. I'm sorry...  If you wanted me to feel bad, you were succesful.  :-\ :'(

« Reply #364 on: August 07, 2013, 12:15:42 AM »
Geez... I'm sorry. There there. It's okay, it's okay. It's Portnoy's song, okay? .... Wanna go out for ice cream?

Offline adastra

« Reply #365 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:09 AM »
Geez... I'm sorry. There there. It's okay, it's okay. It's Portnoy's song, okay? .... Wanna go out for ice cream?

It's okay  :-[  Nef was talking about something called "Ice cold coffee" couple days back .. Can I have one of those?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #366 on: August 07, 2013, 12:23:11 AM »

Call me dense if you must, but I don't get this. Don't all songs written in the band's career belong to the band?  ???
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

« Reply #367 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »
It's okay  :-[  Nef was talking about something called "Ice cold coffee" couple days back .. Can I have one of those?

No, you'll be hyper all night.

Call me dense if you must, but I don't get this. Don't all songs written in the band's career belong to the band?  ???

Well, yeah, but that's what I'm saying, they shouldn't feel like any of the songs are off limits just because the lyrics were personal to one of the former members.
But they have said in the past that Space-Dye Vest is pretty much a Kevin Moore song, and they wouldn't feel right playing it live.

Offline adastra

« Reply #368 on: August 07, 2013, 12:28:33 AM »

No, you'll be hyper all night.

Well, yeah, but that's what I'm saying, they shouldn't feel like any of the songs are off limits just because the lyrics were personal to one of the former members.
But they have said in the past that Space-Dye Vest is pretty much a Kevin Moore song, and they wouldn't feel right playing it live.

For me it's almost the same with Pink Floyd - The Wall ..  Wasn't Roger Waters the mastermind behind that recording? IMO It would feel weird to perform it without him .

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #369 on: August 07, 2013, 12:30:01 AM »
Didn't JLB and Jordan do it once? Might not be a whole band thing, but there's video of James and Jordan playing it to a small group.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

« Reply #370 on: August 07, 2013, 12:34:17 AM »
Didn't JLB and Jordan do it once? Might not be a whole band thing, but there's video of James and Jordan playing it to a small group.

Yeah, but that's why it might have been different. Because it's not like, "We're Dream Theater and this is our song, bitch." It was pretty much just the vocalist from that particular line up, and Jordan could have performed it as an homage to Kevin Moore more than "A Dream Theater Song."
I don't know, I mean, I wasn't there, so I don't know how they decided to do it, but I'm pretty sure that if it was the whole band, and JP had any say in it, he wouldn't have wanted to perform it.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #371 on: August 07, 2013, 01:37:44 AM »
I agree with that, although that's a bit sad as well, because seeing SDV live would be a dream come true.

« Reply #372 on: August 07, 2013, 01:39:56 AM »
I agree with that, although that's a bit sad as well, because seeing SDV live would be a dream come true.

I wish they had professionally recorded that JR & JLB concert. That would've been an excellent DVD addition to Ytsejam Records.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #373 on: August 07, 2013, 02:00:12 AM »
I don't know, I mean, I wasn't there, so I don't know how they decided to do it, but I'm pretty sure that if it was the whole band, and JP had any say in it, he wouldn't have wanted to perform it.
I really hope time will prove this opinion wrong :'(

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: August 07, 2013, 02:04:59 AM »

I really hope time will prove that opinion right. Blech. Sorry. :lol

« Reply #375 on: August 07, 2013, 02:07:32 AM »

It's been almost 20 years since Awake, and even back in MP days, when he rotated set lists, it didn't happen. I highly doubt it will now.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: August 07, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »

Yeah I know :lol luckily you live upside-down so that counts as a +1 to my opinion in this Universe, which means fate will grant me the upper hand :neverusethis:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: August 07, 2013, 04:34:08 AM »

Yeah I know :lol luckily you live upside-down so that counts as a +1 to my opinion in this Universe, which means fate will grant me the upper hand :neverusethis:

Nuh uh, the way it works is that my time zone is before yours, so my wishes get there first and win the race! You'll never catch up.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #378 on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:33 AM »

Nuh uh, the way it works is that my time zone is before yours, so my wishes get there first and win the race! You'll never catch up.

Nah, she's right. Opinions are like vectors and yours is opposite to hers, but you are also opposite to her in both frame of references, so you are only succeeding in bringing SDV closer and closer to existence once again. :tick:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: August 07, 2013, 05:47:27 AM »

Nah, she's right. Opinions are like vectors and yours is opposite to hers, but you are also opposite to her in both frame of references, so you are only succeeding in bringing SDV closer and closer to existence once again. :tick:

My vector is only opposite from her frame of reference, not both. And my vector has a greater magnitude because I'm more especially special. So I'm suppressing SDV further and further into the past, which is the only place it belongs! :getoffmylawn:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: August 07, 2013, 05:48:38 AM »
I'M A GHOST AND I HAVE MAGICAL POWERS :mora:

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: August 07, 2013, 05:50:01 AM »
My vector is only opposite from her frame of reference...

I love it when you talk nerd :zydar: :blob:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #383 on: August 07, 2013, 07:32:27 AM »
Stop vectoring hectoring each other! :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #384 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:51 AM »
MP was the only one who was vocally opposed to the idea of playing the song without Kevin, so I don't think it's impossible now. JP was the one to point out that Anna Lee wasn't 100% Derek's song, so maybe he thinks every DT song belongs to the whole band, no matter who wrote it. That said, I'm not holding my breath, although it's needless to say that hearing SDV live would make my life complete... :hefdaddy