Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 87097 times)

Offline JPX

Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2013, 12:15:30 PM »
Absolutely, you are correct. I just think we know what we are getting with MM. He's brings a great attitude and a huge amount of skill to the table. However, he also lack personality in his playing (not just DT, he has been around for a long time). We also know what Marco brings to the table and he has far more of a creative approach to his drumming.

Both great people, and both great drummers, but ultimately I think Marco would have been less of a 'safe' choice. This is with or without hearing DT12.

Ehhh...Maybe. I'm not very familiar with Marco's work so I suppose I can't comment too much. But I wouldn't want DT to change in any extreme ways. I personally wasn't too bored with BC&SL, although not my favorite album by any stretch, so I'm not one of the fans who has been hoping for some huge change in their style or anything. I believe Mangini both contributed to and evolved their existing style and process in very positive ways. But that's just me. I also think MM has tons of emotion in his playing. Just because he is hugely mathematic and analytical in his creative process doesn't make it less creative. I'm a fan of the mathematical stuff. I love things in music where I really have to pay attention and analyze a lot before I truly understand it.

That's cool man. Each to their own.

I think DT12 will be a defining moment for Mangini because it will probably be the most creative opportuinty that he's had to write and record in his career. Which is why I hope the single isn't a sign of what's to come because I didn't find it very inspiring at all. I truely hope it is though for the sake of the band.

*sub-thought* does MP have any legal say as to the future of LTE? I would love to see the project revived with Marco instead of Portnoy.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »

I think DT12 will be a defining moment for Mangini because it will probably be the most creative opportuinty that he's had to write and record in his career. Which is why I hope the single isn't a sign of what's to come because I didn't find it very inspiring at all. I truely hope it is though for the sake of the band.

*sub-thought* does MP have any legal say as to the future of LTE? I would love to see the project revived with Marco instead of Portnoy.

Well we can at least agree that DT12 will be an amazing Mangini record, if nothing else :)

I do agree that TEI isn't very inspiring...but honestly the more I think about it, the less that gets my hopes down, because the singles have always been the low points of each album, and I still like all the singles (well, RoP is debatable....), meaning I generally love the albums themselves.

Oooooh...that made my brain spin a little. I have seriously been craving another LTE album for like four years. And a real one, not a Liquid Trio Experiment. Even if it was still Portnoy I'd be fine with that, but with Marco? DAMN. LTE2 is one of my favorite albums of all time...it's so raw, yet so refined, all at once!
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »
Well, from hearing The Enemy Inside, it's pretty safe to say that when the drums are mixed loudly enough, Mangini won't be sounding like MP. Not that I wanted or expected him to, but now, the difference is crystal clear. Overall, I would say I preferred Portnoy's sound, the way his toms sound and stuff, was very melodic, and the way he used them was very organic and free-flowing.

With MM, based on TEI and ADTOE, his drumming is very sharp and precise. I guess it makes sense, with him being called the "most technical drummer". And some of those crazy fast fills could be heard on TEI, which is awesome. So here's hoping we'll hear more.

But the difference now is clear. To be honest, when he auditioned, the way he pulled of Dance of Eternity, I felt like he had much more of a classic DT sound, so I thought, "Well, he's just going to do what Portnoy did, and we won't hear a difference." But now, the difference in their styles is pretty obvious.

I'd like to see it revived with Portnoy, just so that all the people who want Portnoy back in DT can at least get a little bit of a fix, with having Portnoy collaborate with Petrucci ad Rudess again.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JPX

« Reply #248 on: August 05, 2013, 12:29:03 PM »

Well we can at least agree that DT12 will be an amazing Mangini record, if nothing else :)

I do agree that TEI isn't very inspiring...but honestly the more I think about it, the less that gets my hopes down, because the singles have always been the low points of each album, and I still like all the singles (well, RoP is debatable....), meaning I generally love the albums themselves.

Oooooh...that made my brain spin a little. I have seriously been craving another LTE album for like four years. And a real one, not a Liquid Trio Experiment. Even if it was still Portnoy I'd be fine with that, but with Marco? DAMN. LTE2 is one of my favorite albums of all time...it's so raw, yet so refined, all at once!

Well we agree on two things! LTE2 is a top 5 album of all time for me.

I wouldn't be against the old lineup, I just think JP JR TL and MM would be AMAZING!!

Offline JPX

« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
I'd like to see it revived with Portnoy, just so that all the people who want Portnoy back in DT can at least get a little bit of a fix, with having Portnoy collaborate with Petrucci ad Rudess again.

Well I guess it's one of the more likely things to happen seeing as JP and JR are the 2 DT guys that still communicate with MP on a friendly level (from what Mike has said openly).

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2013, 12:31:19 PM »
Chiming in 8 pages late, but here goes.

I can't imagine Portnoy ever being in the band again, unless things go south between Mangini and the band which I don't see happening. Not only does everybody in the band seem happy, but Mangini is absolutely amazing, and I want to see where he goes with Dream Theater. That being said, I love Mike Portnoys projects with Flying Colors and The Winery Dogs, and I'd love to see where he takes those, and I'd love to see him in an extreme metal band, just for the sake of it.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Could you recommend some of Marco's best work for me to check out? I'm too lazy to find out what's good on my own :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
I know he's worked with Necrophagist, although they're one of my least favorite tech death bands..
 He worked on Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused To Sing which is a glorious masterpiece imo.
Otherwise he's like a glorious musical slut, I can't keep track of what he's in  :lol

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #253 on: August 05, 2013, 12:44:18 PM »
Hahaha I gotcha. Perhaps I'll check out that Steven Wilson project, then!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2013, 12:52:02 PM »
Re: Replacing Portnoy in LTE. Not possible, LTE was his project.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Ħ

« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:11 PM »
Here's how I see it. I would like Dream Theater to be the band that they appeared to be on the surface, after the Octavarium era. Back then, if you look at the Score documentary, it really feels like the band is together and everything is perfect. Or the making of DVD for Systematic Chaos, everyone seems to be having fun, enjoying themselves, James said it was the most fun he had recording an album since Awake. I loved that Dream Theater, and if the band could be like that, inside and out, that would be fantastic.

But unfortunately, as we know now, not all was well in DT camp, and things seemed to get worse with the Black Clouds era. So if that's how it was going to be in Dream Theater, then no, I certainly wouldn't want that version of Dream Theater to be around.

As of right now, with Mike Portnoy leaving Adrenalin Mob, it really feels like he's having a hard time committing to any one project. I feel like he's going through Band ADD, and I certainly wouldn't want that Mike Portnoy to be back in Dream Theater, out of sheer obligation.

So, that only leaves the current line-up. They're having great chemistry with Mike Mangini, and just because they don't come updating us with minor things every 5 minutes, doesn't mean that they aren't there for the fans. I don't want information on the new album, I don't want snippets. The way they're doing it now, it really feels like September 24th is birthday, and they're preparing a surprise for us. That's all.

But like I said, if we could have Mike Portnoy in the band, and have the band maintain the same kind of energy and spirit that they had after Scenes From A Memory, I'd be all for it. But those days are gone now.
nuggetz
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2013, 02:03:37 PM »
A resounding hell no.

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »

I just think JP JR TL and MM would be AMAZING!!

According to Levin, a Rudess-Levin-Minnemann album is coming shortly.

Offline JPX

« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »

Bazinga! No guitars?

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08:28 PM »

Say What?!?!

Except...no guitar...that will sadden my inner nerd slightly...

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »

Bazinga! No guitars?

Nope, just a trio.

Offline tedesco23

« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »

Here's the link where Levin discusses it:
https://www.forbassplayersonly.com/Interviews/Tony-Levin.html

Offline JPX

« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »

Wow! That came out of nowhere. Jordan kept that one quiet. Definitely something to watch for. Thanks for the link.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »

Wow! That came out of nowhere. Jordan kept that one quiet. Definitely something to watch for. Thanks for the link.

I am SO in, especially after seeing Marco play on Saturday night!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2013, 03:52:20 PM »
Mangini is a better drummer, and they seem much happier now, but they were absolutely a better band when Portnoy was drumming. It's not even close, frankly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2013, 03:54:24 PM »
Mangini is a better drummer, and they seem much happier now, but they were absolutely a better band when Portnoy was drumming. It's not even close, frankly.

Thank God there are things called "opinions"

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

Thank God those things are called "opinions"

FTFY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »

They were also a better band when Kevin Moore was in the band - yes, I went there! :biggrin: - but that was the past.  The shake-up was what DT needed, and while I doubt Dream Theater will ever reach the consistent heights of 1992-2002 again, A Dramatic Turn of Events was an upgrade over everything they had done post-2002, IMO, and hopes are obviously high for the new one, so I think this current lineup is what is best for Dream Theater in 2013.

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »
MP is an amazing drummer and I thoroughly enjoy Flying Colors and The Winery Dogs, however, he isn't missed by me in the confines of DT.

Mangini is absolutely absurd on the drums! Also, his personality is the most positive I have ever witnessed out of a human being. With these facts and also that the rest of DT seems to just really be reinvigorated and truly happy, I don't want MP back.

It's hard to miss MP when MM literally slays the drums on (SPOILER ALERT) the newest single The Enemy Inside!!!

I'm so much more looking forward to hearing the rest of DT12 and MM's heart and soul entwined with the band and within the music!  :metal
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »
MP is an amazing drummer and I thoroughly enjoy Flying Colors and The Winery Dogs, however, he isn't missed by me in the confines of DT.

Mangini is absolutely absurd on the drums! Also, his personality is the most positive I have ever witnessed out of a human being. With these facts and also that the rest of DT seems to just really be reinvigorated and truly happy, I don't want MP back.

It's hard to miss MP when MM literally slays the drums on (SPOILER ALERT) the newest single The Enemy Inside!!!

I'm so much more looking forward to hearing the rest of DT12 and MM's heart and soul entwined with the band and within the music!  :metal

Couldn't agree with this post more!  I love MP and all his work, but I do believe DT has been progressing back in a better direction since his departure.  And MM is just so stinking likable as a person and such a talent on drums he really is making it hard to miss MP!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #270 on: August 05, 2013, 04:13:55 PM »

They were also a better band when Kevin Moore was in the band - yes, I went there! :biggrin: - but that was the past.  The shake-up was what DT needed, and while I doubt Dream Theater will ever reach the consistent heights of 1992-2002 again, A Dramatic Turn of Events was an upgrade over everything they had done post-2002, IMO, and hopes are obviously high for the new one, so I think this current lineup is what is best for Dream Theater in 2013.
I agree with that, too. As for the second part, I think ADToE was overall better than the last couple of albums, certainly Black Clouds, but it's also lacking the highs that you got from SC and 8V. Each of those albums had a song that far surpassed anything from Mangini's album.

More importantly, my interest in them is as a live band, and that's where the loss of MP really kills them.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #271 on: August 05, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
I agree with that, too. As for the second part, I think ADToE was overall better than the last couple of albums, certainly Black Clouds, but it's also lacking the highs that you got from SC and 8V. Each of those albums had a song that far surpassed anything from Mangini's album.

More importantly, my interest in them is as a live band, and that's where the loss of MP really kills them.

In what way do you see a loss? I've seen 3 shows with MP and 2 shows with MM, and the 2 new shows I thought were bloody amazing. MM is filled with just as much (if not more) energy as MP was, he just displays that differently than MP. And the band still sound terrific and spot on.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #272 on: August 05, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »

In what way do you see a loss? I've seen 3 shows with MP and 2 shows with MM, and the 2 new shows I thought were bloody amazing. MM is filled with just as much (if not more) energy as MP was, he just displays that differently than MP. And the band still sound terrific and spot on.

I tend to agree with this... I saw DT with MP 3 times and with MM once.  I wouldn't say the show with MM was less energetic, MM just showed his energy differently than MP at times.  And I think overall, the band was more energetic with MM...

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #273 on: August 05, 2013, 04:26:07 PM »
I really enjoyed them live El Barto on the  last tour.  Hard to look back when it's really MP's fault he isn't in the band anymore.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #274 on: August 05, 2013, 04:34:52 PM »
Have to say, when I first saw them with MM it seemed like a love-fest between JM and MM :D Made me so happy to see JM emote on that level, anywhere haha.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2013, 04:39:52 PM »

I think DT had been pretty stale anything post-FII, pre ADTOE. SFAM is good, and it might just be album fatigue from me, but I never listen to anything from that time period.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Not at all. He had his great work in DT, but it's Mangini's turn. The last 3 albums with Portnoy are my least favorite DT albums. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:11 PM »
I wouldn't want to see Portnoy back in DT.  He's happier now, and they're being really creative again.  The last 3 albums or so with Mike were just awful (to me) and formulaic.  ADTOE seemed to show the creativity they're capable of.  I'm not too crazy about the new single but it's one song.  I'm hopeful the new album is even better than ADTOE - and that one was awesome!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2013, 05:50:39 PM »

MP brought, among other things, a spontaneity that's now lacking. I saw half a dozen or so shows with MP and they were all different. Even the Maiden tour which was the same setlist was two different performances. I've seen 5 MM shows and with one exception they were all cookie-cutter shows. Even with different setlists they were still the same show. Honestly, the reason I bothered to see them twice last time around was because I lucked into a front row seat for the second one, and moreover I really wanted to see Crimson Projekct (who quite frankly blew them away one night).
E.F. Benson

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2013, 05:58:51 PM »
MP brought, among other things, a spontaneity that's now lacking. I saw half a dozen or so shows with MP and they were all different. Even the Maiden tour which was the same setlist was two different performances. I've seen 5 MM shows and with one exception they were all cookie-cutter shows. Even with different setlists they were still the same show. Honestly, the reason I bothered to see them twice last time around was because I lucked into a front row seat for the second one, and moreover I really wanted to see Crimson Projekct (who quite frankly blew them away one night).

I'll give you that MP was more outwardly spontaneous. But I see MM as more sort of just being in awe, still, that he made it into such an amazing band and is getting to play with them. He's very focused on his playing and his performance musically, which honestly is something MP started being lazy about towards the end, with sloppy performances on occasion that I've mostly ignored. I personally appreciate that MM seems to play every show just as flawlessly as the last. I guess I just feel the energy, between the band members, more than see it. And while yes, Portnoy was more exciting sometimes to watch and spontaneous, the other members certainly weren't partaking in that all that often. There is some truth to that argument that MP was always trying to be the frontman. I don't believe in that to the extreme that others do, and I did enjoy his antics usually, but it is still true. I feel like the band as a whole are now enjoying themselves more than in a long time, and are creating a synergy that doesn't need to be seen on a visual level; it's in the music. For me, at least.