Poll

Do you miss Portnoy ?

Yes!
58 (26.9%)
No!
158 (73.1%)

Total Members Voted: 209

Voting closed: August 03, 2013, 11:49:06 PM

Author Topic: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?  (Read 87133 times)

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?
« Reply #210 on: August 04, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
Personally I wanna see MP doing prog (NOT PROGRESSIVE) again, It's what he suits rather than his radio seeking bands, I love them but it's not his best style.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #211 on: August 04, 2013, 04:00:02 PM »
Prog is just short for progressive. I don't know how any difference was ever formed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_rock
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline jonnybaxy

• Step after step We try controlling our fate When we finally start living it's become too late
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: August 04, 2013, 04:01:29 PM »
Prog is just short for progressive. I don't know how any difference was ever formed.

I know but about 2 weeks ago there was this debate over it, hence the sarcasm green text :)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #213 on: August 04, 2013, 04:02:31 PM »

I know but about 2 weeks ago there was this debate over it, hence the sarcasm green text :)

Didn't someone mention that this debate had happened before as well?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jonnybaxy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: August 04, 2013, 04:04:45 PM »

Yeah I think so

Offline dongringo

« Reply #215 on: August 04, 2013, 04:10:02 PM »

Ahhh didn't notice the sarcasm.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline johncal

« Reply #216 on: August 04, 2013, 05:24:01 PM »

Yes. This is the DTGHD forum.

Offline johncal

« Reply #217 on: August 04, 2013, 06:04:32 PM »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #218 on: August 04, 2013, 06:15:45 PM »
Would you like to see Portnoy back in Dream theater?

Short Answer : No.

Long Answer : Noooooooooooooooooooooo !

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
Personally I wanna see MP doing prog (NOT PROGRESSIVE) again, It's what he suits rather than his radio seeking bands, I love them but it's not his best style.
Well Transatlantic 4 is coming soon and I'm sure he'll do some other proggy stuff with Neal Morse so there's hope. :)
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #220 on: August 04, 2013, 08:54:47 PM »
Where did you get this info : he said he is ready to come back to DT? Source (or did I miss something?)?

B.Lee

"Mike was also asked whether he would one day be willing to reunite with DREAM THEATER and rejoin the band as their drummer. "Sure," he replied. "I would do it in a heartbeat. They are the ones that have closed the door on it. I've only needed a break, and I've had that break. So I'm ready, willing and able. But I honestly don't think they ever will; they've closed their door on it and I think they're too headstrong in having to prove themselves without me. So I wouldn't count on it. But my door is always open."

https://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=193252

" Portnoy will be back ".

Some people just can't accept that MM is here to stay...

Additional : I have read Petrucci specifically say his drum contribution to ADTOE was nothing but bass and snare hits for each song just to show where to accent etc..

It's not like he sat down with Superior drummer and wrote each song out for the entire drumkit..Toms, octobans, cymbals, drum fills and all.

Not doubting you read that but I also remember reading Petrucci saying he had some fun with it and did some crazy stuff...some of which Mangini loved and nailed.  Other times, Mangini would go off the "script" and turned out to be great. 

From everything I read, I would say Petrucci probably came up with 70% of the parts but then again, a large percentage of that would be the more basic rhythms so when it came down to the creative aspect of the drums, I'm sure it was more like 60-70% Mangini. 

I can think of one sure fire way to settle this.....

Petrucci, RELEASE THE DEMOS! 

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #221 on: August 04, 2013, 09:12:10 PM »
You know what's funny? In the whole "How much did Mangini contribute to ADTOE" debate, I can never tell whether people are defending Mangini or denouncing him. These arguments usually start with, "The drumming on ADTOE wasn't that good," then someone says, "Well, that's because JP wrote the drums and Mangini didn't contribute," then you have a slew of people saying, "Mangini did contribute, because he's awesome." But the original point was that the drumming on ADTOE wasn't all that amazing. Which is exactly why I don't think MM gave even close to his full potential on ADTOE.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #222 on: August 04, 2013, 09:29:41 PM »
Besides, the band is convinced that he did a much better job on this album.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #223 on: August 05, 2013, 04:57:27 AM »
If only this time that snare sounds anywhere close to 'good' this time.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:03 AM »

Not doubting you read that but I also remember reading Petrucci saying he had some fun with it and did some crazy stuff...some of which Mangini loved and nailed.  Other times, Mangini would go off the "script" and turned out to be great. 

From everything I read, I would say Petrucci probably came up with 70% of the parts but then again, a large percentage of that would be the more basic rhythms so when it came down to the creative aspect of the drums, I'm sure it was more like 60-70% Mangini. 

I've seen him say it in a few video interviews. Just bass and snare - a "skeleton" of the song. Of course he could have put some crazy drum stuff in just using those two instruments. But bass and snare it was.

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #225 on: August 05, 2013, 06:07:36 AM »
If only this time that snare sounds anywhere close to 'good' this time.

Like in Awake was?
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2013, 10:16:47 AM »
No. I was glad he left when he did, quite honestly.

Sticking just to their creative output, if MM had to quit for some reason then I'd be cautiously happy about him coming back under the following conditions:

1) He isn't allowed to write or arrange vocals.
2) He isn't allowed to sing, narrate or otherwise vocalise in any way on record (backing vocals live are fine).
3) He isn't allowed to prescribe an overall direction for their albums but instead lets the other guys follow their collective muses.

Three out of the last four DT albums with MP are my three least favourite DT records and the evidence of ADToE suggests that what I didn't like about those records was, as suspected, largely down to the creative impulses of MP (although perhaps the next one will prove that theory wrong...).

There are elements to MP's character that I find irksome that I can't say I miss, but realistically they're not that important - I've bought the Winery Dogs album after all and I still buy Megadeth records despite the world class pillockry of Mustaine!  :smiley:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2013, 10:18:26 AM »
After hearing The Enemy Inside, NO, I LOVE MANGINI.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2013, 10:19:40 AM »
After hearing The Enemy Inside, NO, I LOVE MANGINI.

Just wanted to post exactly this :lol

Offline Grizz

« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2013, 10:26:51 AM »
I'm curious about whether or not MP could play The Enemy Inside...
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline JPX

« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:56 AM »
Personally I do not want MP back in Dream Theater, but I don't want MM either. I've thought this since the auditions and it still stands that I think Marco would have been the best thing for Dream Theater. I completely understand why they went with Mangini, but Marco would have taken them to new places, whereas MM doesn't/hasn't.

As for MP, I definitely do miss him in the band just because it felt right, but from a drumming perspective, he checked out of that side of things a long time ago. Plus if his recent projects are any indication of the type of music he wants to explore, I think it's best for Dream Theater that he isn't part of the group any longer.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #231 on: August 05, 2013, 10:31:01 AM »

I'm curious about whether or not it matters.

Oh wait, I am actually not curious.  Because it does not matter.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #232 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:26 AM »
Personally I do not want MP back in Dream Theater, but I don't want MM either. I've thought this since the auditions and it still stands that I think Marco would have been the best thing for Dream Theater. I completely understand why they went with Mangini, but Marco would have taken them to new places, whereas MM doesn't/hasn't.

As for MP, I definitely do miss him in the band just because it felt right, but from a drumming perspective, he checked out of that side of things a long time ago. Plus if his recent projects are any indication of the type of music he wants to explore, I think it's best for Dream Theater that he isn't part of the group any longer.

Marco has ENERGY! I'd have loved to have him in DT.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #233 on: August 05, 2013, 10:39:14 AM »

Wellllll, MP did say specifically in one interview that he wouldn't want to play a song Mike Mangini drummed on. 

He was talking about the PSMS shows and he wanted to play Acid Rain but Derek didn't want to play something Jordan Rudess wrote.  Portnoy said he understands completely because he wouldn't want to play something Mangini played on but Portnoy convinced Sherinian and agreed to play a crazy song of Sherinian's choosing. 

So another reason to not want MP back in the band.  They would just ignore the "Mangini Years"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: August 05, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »

Wellllll, MP did say specifically in one interview that he wouldn't want to play a song Mike Mangini drummed on. 

He was talking about the PSMS shows and he wanted to play Acid Rain but Derek didn't want to play something Jordan Rudess wrote.  Portnoy said he understands completely because he wouldn't want to play something Mangini played on but Portnoy convinced Sherinian and agreed to play a crazy song of Sherinian's choosing. 

So another reason to not want MP back in the band.  They would just ignore the "Mangini Years"

Okay, but Portnoy has said before that he often plays things differently, even his own drum parts, so he could easily "dumb down" Mangini's parts and still do any of the Mangini-era songs we have heard justice. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #235 on: August 05, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Is there really anything MM's recorded with DT that MP simply could not play?  It's not like MP isn't a world-class metal drummer.  What would he have to "dumb down"?

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
Don't think he's ever coming back as a permanent member: maybe as a guest for an anniversary of an album or the band's birthday. I think they're better off separate ways

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #237 on: August 05, 2013, 11:16:54 AM »
Is there really anything MM's recorded with DT that MP simply could not play?  It's not like MP isn't a world-class metal drummer.  What would he have to "dumb down"?

I don't know, DT12 might reveal some technically difficult things, but I would think that if MP actually put the work in to learn MM's parts he could play them. 

It seems like ability has never been MP's issue, he is an extremely gifted musician. I think the question is more, would he take the time to learn MM's parts or would he just play what ever he felt like?

Offline badger

« Reply #238 on: August 05, 2013, 11:25:40 AM »
Looking forward to Transatlantic 4 and the Winery Dogs is pretty good, but, leave him out of DT..........don't like the attitude.   Mangini is the best fit.
When did we all let you down?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2013, 11:40:44 AM »
Nope.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2013, 11:43:04 AM »
Have to say, yes, there are things that I believe MP simply cannot play that MM did on ADTOE. To name one very miniscule example, the last chorus in Lost Not Forgotten, MM rides on that cymbal with 16th note strikes the ENTIRE chorus, only using one hand. It took MM years to bring his single stroke speeds to that level. MP can't do that. There's tons of little stuff littered all over ADTOE that MP couldn't play. Sure it wouldn't be too missed if he somehow returned and they played those songs, he would just ignore those parts. But still.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

I don't quite think it's fair to judge MM in that respect, yet. He wasn't involved in the writing on ADTOE, so that's no basis to judge, and we have only heard 6:17 of music from a 60+ minute new album, so...after hearing DT12 then I'd say you can judge whether MM has brought DT to new places or not.

Just sayin.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #242 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »

Marco has ENERGY!

POWAH!

Offline JPX

« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »

I don't quite think it's fair to judge MM in that respect, yet. He wasn't involved in the writing on ADTOE, so that's no basis to judge, and we have only heard 6:17 of music from a 60+ minute new album, so...after hearing DT12 then I'd say you can judge whether MM has brought DT to new places or not.

Just sayin.

Absolutely, you are correct. I just think we know what we are getting with MM. He's brings a great attitude and a huge amount of skill to the table. However, he also lack personality in his playing (not just DT, he has been around for a long time). We also know what Marco brings to the table and he has far more of a creative approach to his drumming.

Both great people, and both great drummers, but ultimately I think Marco would have been less of a 'safe' choice. This is with or without hearing DT12.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #244 on: August 05, 2013, 12:03:11 PM »
Absolutely, you are correct. I just think we know what we are getting with MM. He's brings a great attitude and a huge amount of skill to the table. However, he also lack personality in his playing (not just DT, he has been around for a long time). We also know what Marco brings to the table and he has far more of a creative approach to his drumming.

Both great people, and both great drummers, but ultimately I think Marco would have been less of a 'safe' choice. This is with or without hearing DT12.

Ehhh...Maybe. I'm not very familiar with Marco's work so I suppose I can't comment too much. But I wouldn't want DT to change in any extreme ways. I personally wasn't too bored with BC&SL, although not my favorite album by any stretch, so I'm not one of the fans who has been hoping for some huge change in their style or anything. I believe Mangini both contributed to and evolved their existing style and process in very positive ways. But that's just me. I also think MM has tons of emotion in his playing. Just because he is hugely mathematic and analytical in his creative process doesn't make it less creative. I'm a fan of the mathematical stuff. I love things in music where I really have to pay attention and analyze a lot before I truly understand it.