Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259220 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3220 on: August 02, 2016, 03:33:55 PM »
Yeah set before Kirk's time there's so much more that they can't do.

PLUS *nobody* from any series can guest star unless it's set 12 years after Enterprise then the cast will have aged the correct amount.

Sigh.

Patrick can play Picard's great great grandfather.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: August 02, 2016, 06:20:05 PM »
I think the word "Humanoid" is the greatest gift the genre of space travel science fiction has ever gotten, it enables the creators to introduce alien life without resorting to ridiculous designs or making it look like an animal or a bug, a lot of movies and shows haven't utilized the word and they always end up with something that looks silly to me, even critically acclaimed movies like Aliens, E.T. or Independence Day, IMO.
TOS made good use of the word, aliens usually looked human for the most part, save for an odd skin color or bigger heads which are okay. I've had that thought a while back watching TOS and the reason I bring it up now is the alien designs I'm seeing on TNG, these Ferengi mofos are just so damn stupid looking and it almost pulls me away from the seriousness of the plot, let alone the Selay and the Antican from the episode Lonely Among us that I just saw.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3222 on: August 02, 2016, 10:17:55 PM »
That's very true. But then at times they really take advantage of it. On really low budget weeks, they wouldn't even bother with the skin color or bigger heads. "Eh, just dress them up as Nazis and call it a fluke." In the latter era they resorted to the vag-face phenomenon, where they just stuck prosthetic snappers on people's foreheads and called it a day.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3223 on: August 02, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »
I'm still convinced the makeup department had some kind of bet going to see how close they could get someone's face to look like a vag without anyone questioning it. There was one in particular that had full on clit-face going on (from memory, I think it was the guy from Critical Care).

Pre-TOS still isn't confirmed yet as far as I know, mostly based on hints, but I hope somehow it's wrong. Given the direction of the ship and the registry, it does appear to be pre-TOS, but they should have learned their lesson from Enterprise.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3224 on: August 02, 2016, 11:19:06 PM »
If it's set pre-TOS, then I'm no longer impressed that they decided to do it in the prime universe. I mean....duh.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3225 on: August 03, 2016, 10:04:39 AM »
If it really is pre-TOS, I am 1000% less excited than I was.

That really limits the amount of "discovery" they can do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3226 on: August 03, 2016, 10:24:13 AM »
I'm still convinced the makeup department had some kind of bet going to see how close they could get someone's face to look like a vag without anyone questioning it. There was one in particular that had full on clit-face going on (from memory, I think it was the guy from Critical Care).

Jason Alexander was a good example too.

Gives a whole new meaning to "Giving Head"   :neverusethis:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: August 03, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
That's a downright sexy slit he's got going on there. I bet there have been plenty of misunderstandings between species over that one. :zydar:

It would also give a new meaning to "mindfuck". :neverusethis:

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3228 on: August 03, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »
But in his case they spent money on a whole new forehead and a wig. I'm guessing that was more of an artistic decision to keep most of his face recognizable rather than a financial one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:19 PM »
Poor Jason Alexander.

Plays an alien on Star Trek.

Still bald.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3230 on: August 03, 2016, 12:55:33 PM »
For all we know, that hairline is excellent for his species. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: August 03, 2016, 12:57:07 PM »
GEORGE IS GETTING UPSET !

THIS GAGH IS MAKING ME THIRSTY !!!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3232 on: August 03, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »
Alexander guest stars on TNG?! Color me excited :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3233 on: August 03, 2016, 02:06:21 PM »
Alexander guest stars on TNG?! Color me excited :lol
Nah, that's Voyager. You're at least 200 episodes away from that right now. Pretty good episode, though.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3234 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:24 PM »
Oh my Gosh.

" Future Imperfect " is always ruined by that TOS style costume at the end and the hilariously cliche alien voice " :| MY NAME IS BARASH ".

Should have stayed Human looking.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3235 on: August 03, 2016, 05:26:03 PM »
I like the concept of "Future Imperfect" and most of the episode, but yeah, the ending isn't great.  The concept is still good, just not a great execution.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3236 on: August 03, 2016, 05:33:17 PM »
While the ending was cheesy, the bigger problem for me was that Tomalak was such a terrible Romulan. If they wanted one to be recurring they should have found a better choice.
E.F. Benson

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3237 on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:15 PM »
If Q. isn't the most annoying motherfuck of a character I've ever seen in anything..
I'm on edge about it being a combination between the character and the actor, but boy he's aggravating as fuck!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3238 on: August 03, 2016, 07:07:22 PM »
Q is an excellent character. He can certainly be annoying, and some of his episodes are pretty weak, but he's also the main focus of some great episodes and from time to time does some pretty cool things.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #3239 on: August 03, 2016, 07:08:10 PM »
Q is awesome.

Yea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3240 on: August 03, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »
Him becoming human is my favorite episode with him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3241 on: August 03, 2016, 07:24:35 PM »
Currently watching Hide & Q, haven't finished it yet. This is the second time I see him on the show. I like how they know now they're completely helpless when he appears but the star fleet has no solutions for that problem, what do we do when Q. appears star fleet? We guess you'll just have to play along captain Picard. But he always threatens to kill us?! Well that's how it is sometimes you know, it's either you deal with that or you retire.
Maybe the recurring "nemesis" concept is a bit weird to me when it comes to Star Trek, I mean to register to it I gotta welcome the idea that the star ship traveling and exploring the galaxy could meet the same exact entity more than once. And there's no reasoning with him, I'm hearing Picard and Riker talking seriously and honestly to him but his replies are usually arrogantly stupid and unrelated to what they said, if the show means to portray him as a superior being, it has certainly failed so far IMO.
Maybe future episodes with him will be much better if you guys like him so much.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3242 on: August 03, 2016, 07:29:02 PM »
When an actor or actress make you hate them so much but you want more you know they are great at what they do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #3243 on: August 03, 2016, 07:42:24 PM »
Q is essentially a god. A very very bored and immature god.

Of course they'll run into him on multiple occasions. He can literally be wherever, whatever and whenever he wants.

And you're right, there's no reasoning with him. He is the most powerful being in existence (along with the rest of his people). There is no defense against him, you literally have NO choice what so ever than to do what he says or try to talk to him, and even then you have nothing with which to threaten him, except for your decision to not partake in his game.

He pushes the crew to explore themselves and what they take for granted more than almost anyone else.

Also, his back and forths with Worf are almost as good as with Picard.

Q: How can I prove to you that I am mortal?
Worf: Die....
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3244 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:17 PM »
In TNG he's really a once a season character. He just pops up twice in S1. Also, he pops up a lot because he has a strange fascination with humanity. Humans amuse him, and he actually likes Picard and Riker, along with Janeway who you don't know yet. As he's as keen to present them interesting opportunities as he is to just bully and belittle them.

Also, there was always speculation amongst Star Trek nerds that Q might have been Trelain, the lonely squire of Gothos. Interesting thing to ponder.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #3245 on: August 03, 2016, 08:38:41 PM »
In TNG he's really a once a season character. He just pops up twice in S1. Also, he pops up a lot because he has a strange fascination with humanity. Humans amuse him, and he actually likes Picard and Riker, along with Janeway who you don't know yet. As he's as keen to present them interesting opportunities as he is to just bully and belittle them.

Also, there was always speculation amongst Star Trek nerds that Q might have been Trelain, the lonely squire of Gothos. Interesting thing to ponder.

Honestly, I think it's more than amusement. I think All Good Things.... hinted pretty heavily that Q sees humanity as a possible race to become similar to Q one day in the distant future and that it's more a matter of expanding the mind than it is building technology.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3246 on: August 04, 2016, 02:13:48 AM »
If Q. isn't the most annoying motherfuck of a character I've ever seen in anything..

If I've followed this thread correctly you are watching Trek for the first time ever?   If so you have yet to encounter Neelix.....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3247 on: August 04, 2016, 02:15:27 AM »
I like Neelix. He's a space rat with a skullet mohawk and the shittiest dress sense in any quadrant. :metal And he always means well. He's the lovable space hobo.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3248 on: August 04, 2016, 02:38:23 AM »
I like Neelix. He's a space rat with a skullet mohawk and the shittiest dress sense in any quadrant. :metal And he always means well. He's the lovable space hobo.

He looked like Mr T's runty ginger brother suffering a bout of measles.

Well apart from the fucked up grooming of Kes, then even more fucked up jealously issues.   Then there is the fact he's just utterly annoying nearly ever single time he's on screen.  Aside from that he's great :)

Neelix is that irritating bumbling comedy sidekick character you nearly always got in 80's cartoon.  Orko, Snarf, Scrappy, Slimer, Godzooky etc...

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3249 on: August 04, 2016, 02:39:56 AM »

I thought you were trying to make the case for him NOT being awesome? :metal

The jealousy episode with Tom Paris was awful, but aside from that I always found him quite endearing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3250 on: August 04, 2016, 03:26:16 AM »

I thought you were trying to make the case for him NOT being awesome? :metal

The jealousy episode with Tom Paris was awful, but aside from that I always found him quite endearing.

Lets agree to disagree on this subject :)     Who would be your worst ST main character?

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #3251 on: August 04, 2016, 03:29:53 AM »
Tomalak was such a terrible Romulan.

I quite liked him, but in the end - by G'Quan - that's what you get when you ask a Narn to play a Romulan. :)

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: August 04, 2016, 03:32:24 AM »
Tasha Yarr and Pulaski are my most hated. I kept hoping for Tasha to die, and then she did. It was pretty satisfying. :lol
And Pulaski just went out of her way to be a hardcore bitch. Couldn't stand her.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3253 on: August 04, 2016, 04:07:51 AM »
Tasha Yarr and Pulaski are my most hated. I kept hoping for Tasha to die, and then she did. It was pretty satisfying. :lol
And Pulaski just went out of her way to be a hardcore bitch. Couldn't stand her.

I actually prefer Pulaski over Crusher.  I think they were looking for a McCoy type character with Pulaski with Data taking the Spock foil, genuinely I believe they were going to build an arc for these two characters, the sad thing is we only really saw the start of it when Pulaski was a bitch to 'it' (data) - I think the character would have soften over time, we started to see it happen as season 2 when on.   That would have been far more interesting than anything Crusher did once she was back (well aside from that ghostgasm).

Tasha died to an Oil slick - I don't care how they tried to retcon her death on 'Yesterday's Enterprise'.  She died to an oil slick, end off.

Not so much a main character but I always hated Keiko - what horrible sins must Miles have committed in previous lives to end up stuck with that miserable whining bitch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: August 04, 2016, 04:13:45 AM »
I was so glad Tasha got such a meaningless and pointless death. Killed by a random tar monster!
Pulaski was far too unlikeable for me to ever accept her character. It was obvious what they were going for with it, but it just wasn't working. She was a crusty old hate filled goat. Not that Crusher was a particularly good character, but compared to Pulaski, she wasn't such a bad option. Female characters really were not that show's strength.

Not so much a main character but I always hated Keiko - what horrible sins must Miles have committed in previous lives to end up stuck with that miserable whining bitch.

I'm more concerned what Keiko did wrong in life to end up with that sack of crap. :lol