Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 256541 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #3395 on: August 27, 2016, 08:05:09 AM »
I can't really think of any major crossover between them, nothing that would benefit from watching them side by side at least. I say just watch TNG, then watch DS9.
Yeah, this is how I did it too. DS9 is amazing, especially after S2.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3396 on: August 27, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
That's what I thought.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3397 on: August 27, 2016, 12:45:49 PM »
There are some references here and there, though, which put them in the same time period. Voyager refers to some events in the DS9 canon regarding the Dominion War and the Maquis. And I believe some of the TNG moves make references to DS9, as well. Probably just making up excuses for Worf to show up, I suppose.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3398 on: August 27, 2016, 01:37:22 PM »
Voyager : The Killing Game part 1.

Roughly 30 mins in when 7 starts singing - is it me or is there a noticeable audio cut in ?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3399 on: August 27, 2016, 02:46:23 PM »
Not much for crossovers except for when worf went to DS9 and Bashir came to the enterprise for a bit.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3400 on: August 27, 2016, 07:09:57 PM »
Thought to give you guys a break from my newbie noise heh
Just watched By Any Other Name, loved it. So much real tension in this episode, especially when they thought to self destruct. A couple of firsts for me:
- Kirk stood there and witnessed the cold blooded execution of an unarmed crew member, Yeoman Thompson. A moment that felt like it should be crushing but Shatner failed to make it work. Still though, it was something.
- Red shirt Denzel Washington A. Had a relatively big speaking role. B. Was a more than a decent actor. C. Did not die. I also think this might have been the first black guy in a red shirt(could be wrong).
- The gang tries several solutions to get out of the dilemma and fail, usually the second thing works heh

This could have made it into a top 5 list up to the scene where all the crew member have been turned into the little cubes and only Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty remain. Then it took a down turn once the highly intelligent creatures became ridiculously gullible. I paused at the scene where they were eating at the mess hall and told my wife "there's only 10 minutes left and they're super beat, the rest of this episode is gonna offer a silly resolution to the plot" :lol
I still enjoyed it a lot overall.
Oh and
Kirk: I don't usually go around beating up beautiful women.
Kelinda: Why not?
Kirk: Well, there are better things for men and women to do.
Kelinda: Like what?
Me: :neverusethis:

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3401 on: August 28, 2016, 09:39:58 AM »
What are the overlap seasons of TNG and DS9?  How much cross-pollination/continuity was there between the shows while both were on the air?

I never watched much of DS9 when it was on the air.  When I start my rewatch, will I need to start it while I am still watching TNG or will I be OK to wait until I'm done with TNG?
It would be fine to watch all of TNG then move on to DS9. From Seasons 4 and onwards, TNG starts setting up a lot of stuff that DS9 revolves around; the Cardassians, the Bajorans, and the Maquis namely.

Favourite characters from each series ?
TOS: Spock
TNG: Picard or Data. Worf is pretty good in the episodes that focus on him otherwise, he's just used a punching bag or the guy who gives Picard bad advice.
DS9: All of them? I guess if I had to choose, Dukat, Garak, Kira, or Jadzia Dax.
VOY: 7 of 9, Tuvok, or the Doctor
ENT: Never watched it.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3402 on: August 28, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
Thought to give you guys a break from my newbie noise heh
Just watched By Any Other Name, loved it. So much real tension in this episode, especially when they thought to self destruct. A couple of firsts for me:
- Kirk stood there and witnessed the cold blooded execution of an unarmed crew member, Yeoman Thompson. A moment that felt like it should be crushing but Shatner failed to make it work. Still though, it was something.
- Red shirt Denzel Washington A. Had a relatively big speaking role. B. Was a more than a decent actor. C. Did not die. I also think this might have been the first black guy in a red shirt(could be wrong).
- The gang tries several solutions to get out of the dilemma and fail, usually the second thing works heh

This could have made it into a top 5 list up to the scene where all the crew member have been turned into the little cubes and only Kirk, Spock, Bones and Scotty remain. Then it took a down turn once the highly intelligent creatures became ridiculously gullible. I paused at the scene where they were eating at the mess hall and told my wife "there's only 10 minutes left and they're super beat, the rest of this episode is gonna offer a silly resolution to the plot" :lol
I still enjoyed it a lot overall.
Oh and
Kirk: I don't usually go around beating up beautiful women.
Kelinda: Why not?
Kirk: Well, there are better things for men and women to do.
Kelinda: Like what?
Me: :neverusethis:
This was always one of my favorites. And silly though the ending may have been, it actually made a lot of sense. I especially liked McCoy pumping the dude full of amphetamines to get him riled up. On top of the good episode, Kelinda was one of my favorite of the ST babes. Good looking gal. And compared to most ST babes, the girl was actually wearing more clothes than she was probably accustomed to as an actress.  :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3403 on: August 28, 2016, 02:37:03 PM »
Finished S4 of Voyager.

I'll start S5 tomorrow.

When S7 is finished i'll start Enterprise. And then DS9 .

Online Adami

« Reply #3404 on: August 28, 2016, 02:42:47 PM »
Finished S4 of Voyager.

I'll start S5 tomorrow.

When S7 is finished i'll start Enterprise. And then DS9 .

Saving the best for last.  :tup
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3405 on: August 28, 2016, 02:46:52 PM »
I've seen a lot of DS9 - i just lost interest when it became about one thing.

But i'll try again.

Online Adami

« Reply #3406 on: August 28, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
I can't remember if it's season 1 or 2 but Duet is one of my favorite episodes of DS9 and Trek in general.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3407 on: August 28, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »
Sounds familiar. I've seen S1 and 2 at least I think.

EDIT : oh of course. THAT episode.

Amazing.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3408 on: August 29, 2016, 08:18:17 AM »
I've seen a lot of DS9 - i just lost interest when it became about one thing.

But i'll try again.
Even when ST starts following 1 story arc there are always tons of one-off episodes that are unrelated or at most tangentially related. Even season 7 of DS9, when they had the entirety of the war to wrap up, half the episodes involved the Dominion and half were all sorts of other stuff; baseball, weddings, alternate universes, whatnot. The Xindi season of Enterprise is the same way. It's about 50/50 story stuff and throwaway episodes.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3409 on: August 29, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »
I prefer when shows have a good mix. I don't want nothing but story arc, because it's not realistic, and it gets monotonous.

That said, there is no justification for that dreadful baseball episode. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #3410 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:52 AM »
I prefer when shows have a good mix. I don't want nothing but story arc, because it's not realistic, and it gets monotonous.

I love that baseball episode, although it sure does stick out quite a bit when surrounded by a bunch of war episodes.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3411 on: August 29, 2016, 10:08:40 AM »
What are the overlap seasons of TNG and DS9?  How much cross-pollination/continuity was there between the shows while both were on the air?

I never watched much of DS9 when it was on the air.  When I start my rewatch, will I need to start it while I am still watching TNG or will I be OK to wait until I'm done with TNG?
It would be fine to watch all of TNG then move on to DS9. From Seasons 4 and onwards, TNG starts setting up a lot of stuff that DS9 revolves around; the Cardassians, the Bajorans, and the Maquis namely.
Cool.

Still just watching selected TNG episodes, since I did actually watch them all (at least, from season 3 onward).  This weekend I hit "A Matter of Honor", "The Measure of a Man", "Q Who", "Deja Q", "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Sarek", and "Best of Both Worlds Pt. 1".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3412 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:52 AM »

Say what?!  I love that baseball episode!!  Damn you Blob, damn you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3413 on: August 29, 2016, 11:47:03 AM »
So I've just started S5 of Voyager and i've seen "Night" before.

Also I think I now prefer VOY to TNG  :o

Online Adami

« Reply #3414 on: August 29, 2016, 11:50:14 AM »
The basebal episode was okay. The underdog angle was a bit overplayed, but Worf really saved it with his Klingon comic relief.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3415 on: August 29, 2016, 12:03:24 PM »
The basebal episode was okay. The underdog angle was a bit overplayed, but Worf really saved it with his Klingon comic relief.

That's what I loved about it.  I've had many friends who like Work did not like/understand the aspects of baseball and teamwork. 

Though my episode that's not a part of the story arch was Far Beyond The Stars.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3416 on: August 29, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »
So I've just started S5 of Voyager and i've seen "Night" before.

Also I think I now prefer VOY to TNG  :o
I really hated it on my first or second view through. At some point I watched it all from beginning to end and realized it was far better than initially thought. It suffers from some pretty crappy bad guys, and there are parts where they were clearly just making shit up as they went along, but it's still a pretty good show. A couple of more interesting characters would have really helped. Most of the main crew were pretty bland.

edit: Oh, and they pretty much ruin the Borg, which is a shame. Didn't really matter though, as the franchise was pretty much done with them anyway.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3417 on: August 29, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
Yes bland crew was my main problem with it before. But EMH Neelix and 7 more than make up for them.

Jeri Ryan and Robert Picardo in particular are amazing at comedy.

Not least in the "Body And Soul" episode where the EMH embodies 7's body.

EDIT : WTF ?! Go watch the S5 episode "Night" Of Voyager... around 38 mins in and Chakotay says " What about us, don't we have a say ? " and Robert Beltran's mouth is CLEARLY not moving.

Oh wait it was Kim who said it. Never mind :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3418 on: August 29, 2016, 01:11:13 PM »
Jeri Ryan is a great actor.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3419 on: August 29, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »
Body and Soul never worked for me, precisely because of Jeri Ryan's acting. As a comedy episode it was clear she was being over the top and I mostly just found her annoying. I've got nothing against her as 7, but when they giver her other parts to play I'm not a fan. I recall another episode where she turned all Sybil and it seemed like she was running through the list of over-the-top personalities to run through.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3420 on: August 29, 2016, 01:28:21 PM »
I guess it also depends on who is directing...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3421 on: August 29, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
I imagine The Borg must have come across a massively more powerful race before now besides Species 8472...

WE ARE THE BORG RESISTANCE IS FUTILE...

* blows up 10 Borg Cubes * you were saying ?

OH NOTHING. JUST WISH TO PASS THRU THIS AREA OF SPACE IS ALL.

unlikely.

OH.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3422 on: August 29, 2016, 09:26:34 PM »

Say what?!  I love that baseball episode!!  Damn you Blob, damn you.

Maybe it's different because you're Murican, and about the only country that can tolerate baseball, but it was just awful and pointless. It was a plot designed for a kid's Disney movie, not for Trek.

Not least in the "Body And Soul" episode where the EMH embodies 7's body.

One of my favourites. :tup Jeri Ryan did a great job copying Picardo.
I also prefer VOY to TNG.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3423 on: August 29, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
On top of the good episode, Kelinda was one of my favorite of the ST babes. Good looking gal. And compared to most ST babes, the girl was actually wearing more clothes than she was probably accustomed to as an actress.  :lol

She's hot indeed, she reminded me a lot of Sophie Turner who plays Sansa Stark in Game of Thrones.

But the other girl Drea, who had a much smaller role in the episode, was the one that really caught my eye, she's exactly my type.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3424 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:24 AM »
I was surprised to see Zach Galligan in Voyager.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3425 on: September 02, 2016, 01:25:06 PM »
They aways say things like " The Ship is 5 million Kilometres away " and then they show the ships and they're right next to each other.....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3426 on: September 03, 2016, 12:31:08 PM »
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

An episode of Voyager where " the laws of physics have no meaning "

:o wow amazing - what happens ?!

Chakotay thinks hes a boxer.

Oh for fucks sake.

Online Adami

« Reply #3427 on: September 03, 2016, 01:40:14 PM »
I think I remember reading in an old Hawkins paper that, and I quote "when a tattooed Native American thinks he's a boxer, all rules of physics have been forsaken."
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3428 on: September 03, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
I was thinking the other day that in the 75,000 Light Years from the Alpha to the Delta Quadrant - there must be just one alien with a name that sounds the same as

John Smith - with all the sounds in the universe - those two must be placed together at least once :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #3429 on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
I was thinking the other day that in the 75,000 Light Years from the Alpha to the Delta Quadrant - there must be just one alien with a name that sounds the same as

John Smith - with all the sounds in the universe - those two must be placed together at least once :lol

Kind of like The Martian Manhunter from DC. His actual alien name (from what I know) is J'onn J'onzz, which of course sounds veeeery similar to John Jones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com