Author Topic: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation  (Read 259225 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Star Trek: The Next Threaderation
« Reply #840 on: March 08, 2014, 02:26:10 PM »
The whole Kirk-Decker dynamic didn't work to well. It's like "I know what you're trying to do here plot-wise, but it's just not working". Shatners wooden acting didn't help either.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #841 on: March 08, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
The execution of the whole storyline was poor at best.  I was only 11 but I remember my Dad and 2 of his friends coming out of the movie saying, "WTF did we just see?"  That movie did not connect with with it's core audience.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #842 on: March 08, 2014, 03:16:32 PM »
The whole Kirk-Decker dynamic didn't work to well. It's like "I know what you're trying to do here plot-wise, but it's just not working". Shatners wooden acting didn't help either.
Yeah, and in retrospect I think SC's acting had more to do with it. Shatner is a known quantity. He is what he is. For the dynamic they were looking for they needed Decker to be a little more pissed off. And for that matter most of Decker's other parts were pretty bland, as well. I never bought into him suddenly deciding that merging with some alien computer was what he'd always wanted more than anything else. Really, where'd that come from?

The execution of the whole storyline was poor at best.  I was only 11 but I remember my Dad and 2 of his friends coming out of the movie saying, "WTF did we just see?"  That movie did not connect with with it's core audience.
We felt the same way, but remember that what we saw way back then was the original studio release. It was re-released with some extra bits that explained a lot of things and greatly improved the story. Considering how much of a mess the original thing was (thank you Mr. Roddenberry) it's amazing it ever happened at all.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #843 on: March 08, 2014, 03:19:13 PM »
I have a special fondness for TMP just because I feel that it was the last of the well executed NON-action sci-fi films.   (which I don't think even exist any more)

If you're a fan of sci-fi more along the lines of something like The Andromeda Strain (the original film...which I think is absolutely brilliant) then I don't see how you can't enjoy TMP.     I never thought about it at the time, because I was only 7 yrs old, but as I get older I really see more clearly what a complete game changer Star Wars was....and not always for the better.    I like that sci-fi became more action oriented...but I hate that it was to the exclusion of the old school way of doing sci-fi.   I would be so much happier if the two different genres could co-exist.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #844 on: March 08, 2014, 03:59:14 PM »
Did they remake Andromeda Strain? I only know of the original Robert Wise version (who incidentally also directed TMP).
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jammindude

« Reply #845 on: March 08, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »
Did they remake Andromeda Strain? I only know of the original Robert Wise version (who incidentally also directed TMP).

They made a TV mini-series...I didn't watch it.  Heard it was a lot more violent (which to me was just missing the point of the story...as per my post)
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #846 on: March 08, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
Yeah, and in retrospect I think SC's acting had more to do with it. Shatner is a known quantity. He is what he is. For the dynamic they were looking for they needed Decker to be a little more pissed off. And for that matter most of Decker's other parts were pretty bland, as well. I never bought into him suddenly deciding that merging with some alien computer was what he'd always wanted more than anything else. Really, where'd that come from?

Yeah, that was totally random. It especially made no sense since Decker is the captain of the Enterprise at the beginning. Had he been some middle-ranking guy who shows some inner turmoil about his true calling throughout the movie, people would have bought it. But this "yeah, I busted my ass over years to become a starship captain. But I really want to commit techno-suicide!"
The supposed love story with Ilea was somewhat better, but given the length of the movie they could have spent a lot of it on character development than on trying to be a 2001 Space Odyssey.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #847 on: March 08, 2014, 06:07:31 PM »
I read somewhere that the TNG characters Riker and Troi were based on Decker and Ilia.  I can kinda see that.

Upon catching this movie on TV recently, I was surprised to realize that the TNG theme music is all over it, especially at the end.  I didn't even realize.  I mean, this movie came out eight years before TNG, and I never made the connection.  When TNG hit the air, I know I didn't think "Wow, that's the same music!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #848 on: March 08, 2014, 06:20:12 PM »
It was in reverse for me too. I had never seen TMP and when I finally saw it the TMP theme for me was the TNG theme really. Definitely weird to suddenly hear it in front of that old movie.

Regarding the Riker-Troi/Decker-Ilea thing, I don't know whether this is specifically a Roddenberry thing, but the more I have read about the movies and series, the more I got the impression that Gene did not ever want to waste a single character idea he had. Somehow in some fashion they resurfaced again, in some altered form. I believe Data came from some failed TV show of his, no?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: March 08, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »
Also TNG plots came from aborted Star trek Phase II scripts.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #850 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:24 PM »
And even worse, some were just refilmed TOS episodes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #851 on: March 08, 2014, 08:22:38 PM »
I read somewhere that the TNG characters Riker and Troi were based on Decker and Ilia.  I can kinda see that.

Upon catching this movie on TV recently, I was surprised to realize that the TNG theme music is all over it, especially at the end.  I didn't even realize.  I mean, this movie came out eight years before TNG, and I never made the connection.  When TNG hit the air, I know I didn't think "Wow, that's the same music!"

I saw the movies first not long before watching TNG, so it was obvious to me at the time (as it was used in all of the films scored by Goldsmith). I actually hate the TNG cut of the theme that they used on TNG.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #852 on: March 08, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
Err, all they're missing in the TNG cut is the beginning beats, which frankly are a bit too prog for a regular TV series. The rest is as is.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #853 on: March 08, 2014, 08:48:53 PM »
I heard a longer version of the TNG music on our local classical radio station once.  It's actually a very nice piece of music.  In the 30-second version on TV, it has to move quickly through the different themes of course, but in its "proper" form, it's more laid back.  Those majestic themes have a chance to breath and not feel so rushed.  Yeah, a lot of it was the same eight bars or four bars repeated before moving on to the next section, but there were entire sections which were cut.  In it's longer form, it sounded like an overture.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: March 08, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
The structure is chomped up and odd, cutting off the second half of one of my favourite bits, then the odd key shift to the tail section that doesn't usually connect up to the first half directly. They could have edited it better for the length. And they mostly used the shorter ending, occasionally using the slightly longer ending during the credits. And the performance isn't as good either. It's TV budget.

The whole thing just isn't as good as the movie version in any way. If I want to listen to it, I'll listen to a movie version. They're all good, except Nemesis.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #855 on: March 08, 2014, 09:08:26 PM »
I still can not fathom whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a country pop song in front of ENT. It put the whole thing on the wrong foot right from the get-go.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #856 on: March 08, 2014, 09:31:40 PM »
I think they wanted something closer to modern times, to make it more relateable, rather than the distant future feel of the other Trek series, to fit with the intro montage of exploration through the ages from the past to the future.
I'm not saying it was completely successful, although I got used to it, and even didn't mind it. It wasn't very Trekky though, and not even an original song, so I get why people hate it. They were originally going to use the music that ended up over the end credits, which would have been better.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #857 on: March 08, 2014, 11:42:07 PM »
The song was dreadful. Shame, too, as the opening montage was really slick. I still think it's a big part of the reason the show bombed so badly.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: March 08, 2014, 11:50:12 PM »
The show bombing had a lot more to do with the show just plain sucking for the most part. It was a watered down recycling of much better Trek, so it had very little to offer that people hadn't seen before. Something as superficial as a theme song wouldn't have helped it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #859 on: March 09, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »
While I agree about the music for ENT.  Most of the third and forth season i really liked but of course UPN started to move the TV show all over the place time and day wise knowing it was the end.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: March 09, 2014, 03:54:14 AM »
The 3rd and 4th seasons were definitely a huge departure from the first two seasons. I think the 3rd season is overall great, although I hate the 4th season overall unlike most Enterprise fans. Too much forced fanwank.
The mirror universe episodes were good though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:11 AM »
My all time favourite Star Trek Score is for Wrath Of Khan.

I also really like the "new" star trek theme from the JJ Abrams movies : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMu5jP2-c5U

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: March 09, 2014, 06:16:23 AM »
I absolutely love Giacchino's score for STXI, including his new theme (great choice to link btw). I don't have the one for ID yet, as when I checked, they hadn't released the complete edition yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: March 09, 2014, 06:25:38 AM »
I absolutely love Giacchino's score for STXI, including his new theme (great choice to link btw). I don't have the one for ID yet, as when I checked, they hadn't released the complete edition yet.

Into Darkness Score is on Spotify but I don't know if that's what you are after.

Wrath Of Khan score gives me goosebumps everytime. Perfect score for a perfect film.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: March 09, 2014, 06:37:13 AM »

Into Darkness Score is on Spotify but I don't know if that's what you are after.

Wrath Of Khan score gives me goosebumps everytime. Perfect score for a perfect film.

I can't find anything on Spotify for Into Darkness. Link?
I haven't listened to the TWOK soundtrack on its own, but I always enjoy it when watching the movie. Still, I think I prefer some of the Goldsmith stuff, especially First Contact.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: March 09, 2014, 06:42:07 AM »
Thanks. It's completely greyed out for me and won't let me play it, so maybe the availability is limited by country? It would explain why I couldn't find it in my search though.
And either way, it's the shorter soundtrack. I like to have the full soundtrack, like the Deluxe Edition of the STXI one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: March 09, 2014, 06:44:55 AM »
 :police: Thou Shalt Not Enjoy Music For Which Thou Hast tried To Enjoy Legally  !!!!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #868 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:12 AM »
The 3rd and 4th seasons were definitely a huge departure from the first two seasons. I think the 3rd season is overall great, although I hate the 4th season overall unlike most Enterprise fans. Too much forced fanwank.
I agree with you about the 4th season, which I believe we've discussed before. I actually didn't have much of a problem with 1 and 2, though. Some of the episodes sucked, just like any ST series, but some were pretty good. And while the Xindi storyline was entertaining, the trade off was the lack of prequel stuff that made the first 2 seasons interesting.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #869 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
I was anyways bummed that the temporal war thing didn't turn out better. What a great concept.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #870 on: March 09, 2014, 12:56:42 PM »
I was bummed that it didn't turn out even halfway decent. Poorly executed all the way around, and the weaker episodes of the first three seasons, frankly.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #871 on: March 09, 2014, 01:27:31 PM »
I may be wrong but I think they found out during the 4th season that it would be their last and the writers had to scramble to finish off the storyline.  That always tends to make every plot line seems rushed.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: March 09, 2014, 09:09:48 PM »
I agree with you about the 4th season, which I believe we've discussed before. I actually didn't have much of a problem with 1 and 2, though. Some of the episodes sucked, just like any ST series, but some were pretty good. And while the Xindi storyline was entertaining, the trade off was the lack of prequel stuff that made the first 2 seasons interesting.

I didn't have a problem with the first 2 seasons either, but nor did they really offer much compared to other Trek. The characters weren't very interesting or charismatic even for Trek standards, and the stories were uninspired. It wasn't until S3/4 that it felt like they were trying to be somewhat adventurous. But I find all of it at least watchable.

IIRC, the whole temporal war thing was shoehorned in there by the execs, so it was done kind of half-assed. I thought some of the episodes dealing with the temporal war were really good, and the others weren't too bad from what I remember. The problem was that they never really committed to it. They either needed to make it a more prominent story arc, or just ditch it altogether.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #873 on: March 09, 2014, 11:31:15 PM »
Just (re) starting to make my way through Enterprise, cuz I never watched it in the first place.  Watched the Andorian Incident and Breaking the Ice. 

Andorian ... wasn't too hard to predict what they were gonna find in the cattacombs.  And like the group of monks along with Archer/Tripp couldn't over-power those four numbskulls.

Breaking the Ince... WTF was with the "video" back home scene?  Like, in 200 years, people don't know how a self contained vessel takes care of shit?  Did other naval vessels (subs, air craft carriers...) go extinct or something.  The number of  ::) at that scene.

Then I flipped over to (rewatch) Boston Legal (starting right at the beginning... S1E01).  Enterprise better pick up, or it's gonna lose out to Denny and Alan real quick.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: March 09, 2014, 11:36:17 PM »
Just (re) starting to make my way through Enterprise, cuz I never watched it in the first place.  Watched the Andorian Incident and Breaking the Ice. 

Andorian ... wasn't too hard to predict what they were gonna find in the cattacombs.  And like the group of monks along with Archer/Tripp couldn't over-power those four numbskulls.

Breaking the Ince... WTF was with the "video" back home scene?  Like, in 200 years, people don't know how a self contained vessel takes care of shit?  Did other naval vessels (subs, air craft carriers...) go extinct or something.  The number of  ::) at that scene.

Then I flipped over to (rewatch) Boston Legal (starting right at the beginning... S1E01).  Enterprise better pick up, or it's gonna lose out to Denny and Alan real quick.

Funny you mention Boston Legal, as I just got S1 cheap on the weekend to start watching through. I never saw an episode, only catching bits here and there, but with old man Shatner playing the part of Shatner, it's a sure thing. :lol

To quote 30 Rock, "I watched Boston Legal 9 times before I realized it wasn't a new Star Trek."