Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 921748 times)

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Hello everybody.

I`m not the facebook guy.

*snip*
Please don't link to that.  It's a mistake and hasn't been cleared yet for release.

Ok, but the information is very clear:

*snip*

All right.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline darkshade

While that's true, technically Illumination Theory is a suite too. As is Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
The definition of a suite or a song is a bit open ended and open to interpretation, especially a 'suite' in non-classical music. A lot of bands use it to refer to a group of distinct, separate songs that go together. For instance, on Awake, DT refer to Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man as the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite.

Six Degrees really blurs the lines as to whether it's a suite of movements making up one song, or a suite of songs with common themes and recurring melodies.
A Mind Beside Itself is definitely an odd one out. I always felt like they wrote the songs separately and then decided to tie them together. I expect the False Awakening Suite to be more unified than that. In fact, I expect the three parts to be just as unified as Six Degrees or Octavarium. Which is part of why I consider most of the multi part epics to be suites as well. Just because they don't indicate that it's a suite doesn't mean it isn't. I'd say Six Degrees would definitely count as one. Like you said, a suite of movements making up one song. Octavarium isn't as obvious but the 5 movements are pretty distinct.
Except they didn't. There are musical passages and theme's that reoccurs throughout all three songs. They're just very subtle most of the time, which is quite awesome if you ask me. :tup

If False Awakening Suite is anything like that, I'll be very happy.

They still could have written the 3 AMBI tunes separately, especially since many themes appear and reappear throughout Awake. To be honest, aside from a few reprises, each "movement" is very much its own legitimate piece of music.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
[url]https://dictionary.reference.com/browse/suite?s=t/url]

So, according to this, 8VM would be considered a suite too. It's in an ascending key (or is it descending?), and all the movements are connected.

My guess for FAS is something very similar to 8VM more than 6DOIT, with the orchestra more predominant throughout.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Flacracker

What is happening in here?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

So....anybody have an idea as to when episode 2 will air?

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Sometime after episode 1 and before episode 3.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
So, according to this, 8VM would be considered a suite too. It's in an ascending key (or is it descending?), and all the movements are connected.

What is an "ascending key"?  That doesn't describe 8V.  It's in a few different keys, and doesn't "ascend" in any way.

Offline Scotto123

Sometime after episode 1 and before episode 3.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

What is an "ascending key"?  That doesn't describe 8V.  It's in a few different keys, and doesn't "ascend" in any way.
I heard that the concept for the album was that it started in one key & ended in the same key after ascending or descending through the 8 points (keys?) of an octave. I thought the song did the same thing as the album. Someone here will shoot down my limited music theory knowledge I'm sure.
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Most of Octavarium is in f minor. Medicate is in A major, but I'm pretty sure the rest is in f.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Most of Octavarium is in f minor. Medicate is in A major, but I'm pretty sure the rest is in f.

Yep. Parts of the pre-Full Circle and post-Full Circle instrumentals are in E major though, and I believe the vocal part of Razor's Edge is in D minor.

Offline Ad134

They're referring to the album Octavarium, not the song Octavarium.

The Root of All Evil = F minor
The Answer Lies Within = G minor
These Walls = A minor
I Walk Beside You = B minor
Panic Attack = C minor
Never Enough = D minor
Sacrificed Sons = E minor
Octavarium = F minor

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ah, yes. The album has an ascending pattern. I just assumed we were talking about the song since we were talking about a song on DT12.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Yep. Parts of the pre-Full Circle and post-Full Circle instrumentals are in E major though, and I believe the vocal part of Razor's Edge is in D minor.
Just took a look, Razor's Edge is all in F.
Except they didn't. There are musical passages and theme's that reoccurs throughout all three songs. They're just very subtle most of the time, which is quite awesome if you ask me. :tup
While that's true, technically Illumination Theory is a suite too. As is Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
The definition of a suite or a song is a bit open ended and open to interpretation, especially a 'suite' in non-classical music. A lot of bands use it to refer to a group of distinct, separate songs that go together. For instance, on Awake, DT refer to Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man as the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite.

Six Degrees really blurs the lines as to whether it's a suite of movements making up one song, or a suite of songs with common themes and recurring melodies.
A Mind Beside Itself is definitely an odd one out. I always felt like they wrote the songs separately and then decided to tie them together. I expect the False Awakening Suite to be more unified than that. In fact, I expect the three parts to be just as unified as Six Degrees or Octavarium. Which is part of why I consider most of the multi part epics to be suites as well. Just because they don't indicate that it's a suite doesn't mean it isn't. I'd say Six Degrees would definitely count as one. Like you said, a suite of movements making up one song. Octavarium isn't as obvious but the 5 movements are pretty distinct.

If False Awakening Suite is anything like that, I'll be very happy.

They still could have written the 3 AMBI tunes separately, especially since many themes appear and reappear throughout Awake. To be honest, aside from a few reprises, each "movement" is very much its own legitimate piece of music.
Oh I know they probably wrote them together, but it really doesn't sound that way. I consider each "movement" as its own song. By the way, what parts are reprised in AMBI besides the Silent Man thing in Erotomania?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
The Silent Man was written before the rest of AMBI:
The Silent Man (which JP had written at the end of 1993 and he, James and Kev even performed it on Korean TV while we were there for a promotional tour in Jan 1994)

Offline jdprsaga

The Silent Man was written before the rest of AMBI:
The Silent Man (which JP had written at the end of 1993 and he, James and Kev even performed it on Korean TV while we were there for a promotional tour in Jan 1994)

Well that doesn't mean Petrucci couldn't have used the broad Idea behind The silent Man when he wrote voices and even when they decided to name erotomania the opening instrumental. there is definitely a link for all of them (lyrics and with the name of the instrumental)

Just as Portnoy wrote the glass prison many years before he wrote Repentance or the shattered fortress but we all agree they are all part of the 12-steps suit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Oh I know they probably wrote them together, but it really doesn't sound that way. I consider each "movement" as its own song.
Not sure where you get that.  It definitely sounds unified to me, and it is most certainly one song, not a collection of songs.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Although I love AMBI I wouldn't call it one song. It does feel more unified than Six Degrees though.

Offline tiagodon

Donīt you guys think that the decision to make it a self titled album is kind of disrespectful towards Mike Portnoy?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
No. But I think it's boring.

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
No, not really.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh I know they probably wrote them together, but it really doesn't sound that way. I consider each "movement" as its own song.
Not sure where you get that.  It definitely sounds unified to me, and it is most certainly one song, not a collection of songs.

Pretty sure he was talking about AMBI for that part, not Octavarium. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!

Pretty sure he was talking about AMBI for that part, not Octavarium.
Yes I was. If it was one song, then they would've labeled it as such. They barely even play the entire thing live.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Donīt you guys think that the decision to make it a self titled album is kind of disrespectful towards Mike Portnoy?

No.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

No.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
The DT12 cover art is perfect for Mangini`s drum kit.
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Say what?
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well

What possible reason could naming an album after the band be disrespectful toward a former band member?

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
The DT12 cover art is perfect for Mangini`s drum kit.

Please explain....  :corn

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.

Not at all. It's a "hey, this is us as we are now." rather than anything underhand.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

:lol :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Frankly I

a.) don't give a shit what MP thinks of it. He quit the band - they can do what they want.

b.) look forward to his Passive aggressive jabs at it in the social media. :corn

Offline eosforum

Hey man, no reason to talk like that about MP. Like him or not he was in that band for 25 years and deserves to be discussed with the same subtlety as the current members.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
Hey, it's okay :D He expressed his own opinion, which also happens to be not shared by us almost on a plebiscite level! In all fairness, no, I don't think it's disrespectful at all. They owe to Mike Portnoy a part of their past just like Mike Portnoy owes a part of his to them, but right now they have no obligation towards him.

Dream Theater is who they are, and they don't have to say "sorry" or "please" to anyone to state their identity on a musical level. :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco