Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 912385 times)

Offline Lowdz

I'm not surprised at all, Japanese CDs are always more expensive. You can be sure the American and European editions won't be nearly as pricey :)

6DOIT was £30 when it came out in the UK.  :omg:

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Oh you guys....

:neverusethis:

I am very pleased with the analysis that the opening track is a title track in disguise (thanks, Blob).

I have also found the reason why it's called a Suite.

Falling Into Infinity had 11 songs.

This album has 9 songs where a suite of 3 is included.

The circle continues.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Does it end where it began?

Offline SomeoneLikeHim

• The flame is gone
  • The fire remains

The circle continues.
I'll buy that! :lol
"We can walk our road together, if our goals are all the same
We can run alone and free, if we pursue a different aim"

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
I had thought of that yesterday but forgot to post it because I was away from the computer. :lol

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Maybe the line is supposed to say that the majesty logo is absorbing all the light?

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Also, I'm betting the Midi we trabscribed is part of the false awakening suite
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Also, I'm betting the Midi we trabscribed is part of the false awakening suite
Yeah it's very JR explorations sounding. I could totally see JR writing most of the false awakening suite in the same way that 6doit was written.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

The circle continues.

But if you count up all the individual sections / songs  - it's 15. I can't make that tracklist equal 11.

Offline TL

The circle continues.

But if you count up all the individual sections / songs  - it's 15. I can't make that tracklist equal 11.
To be fair, they are officially referring to the opener as a 'suite', while they didn't do so with the other multi-part song on there.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
While that's true, technically Illumination Theory is a suite too. As is Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
The track titles are pretty lol I think, but idc as long as the music is good.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
The track titles are pretty lol I think, but idc as long as the music is good.

I lol at how awesome they are.

Offline TL

While that's true, technically Illumination Theory is a suite too. As is Octavarium and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
The definition of a suite or a song is a bit open ended and open to interpretation, especially a 'suite' in non-classical music. A lot of bands use it to refer to a group of distinct, separate songs that go together. For instance, on Awake, DT refer to Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man as the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite.

Six Degrees really blurs the lines as to whether it's a suite of movements making up one song, or a suite of songs with common themes and recurring melodies.

While songs like Octavarium and A Change of Seasons probably could be considered suites, I think a lot of people would say that they aren't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
No they aren't.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
i. Sleep Paralysis - A state when the body is transition between being awake and asleep, where you're awake but your body is asleep.

The body is technically in sleep paralysis all night. You don't really need to be mentally awake.

True. I figure that for the purposes of a song it would be much more interesting/likely to focus on the sleep paralysis where people are mentally aware, unless it's an instrumental section of the suite, in which case it doesn't matter at all. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
I just can't help myself
I'm feeling
those titles connected to Scenes
Uncanny strange deja vu
But I don't mind
I hope to find the truth

I know how unrealistic that ist, especially with a self titled album.
It's most likely wishful thinking to continue the story, but still...

These suffocating memories
Are etched upon my mind

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
The definition of a suite or a song is a bit open ended and open to interpretation, especially a 'suite' in non-classical music. A lot of bands use it to refer to a group of distinct, separate songs that go together. For instance, on Awake, DT refer to Erotomania, Voices, and The Silent Man as the 'A Mind Beside Itself' suite.

Six Degrees really blurs the lines as to whether it's a suite of movements making up one song, or a suite of songs with common themes and recurring melodies.
A Mind Beside Itself is definitely an odd one out. I always felt like they wrote the songs separately and then decided to tie them together. I expect the False Awakening Suite to be more unified than that. In fact, I expect the three parts to be just as unified as Six Degrees or Octavarium. Which is part of why I consider most of the multi part epics to be suites as well. Just because they don't indicate that it's a suite doesn't mean it isn't. I'd say Six Degrees would definitely count as one. Like you said, a suite of movements making up one song. Octavarium isn't as obvious but the 5 movements are pretty distinct.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
I'd say that it'll probably be more unified than A Mind Beside Itself. Especially since the three movements are on the same track this time, not separated, which will most likely add to that.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo

A Mind Beside Itself is definitely an odd one out. I always felt like they wrote the songs separately and then decided to tie them together. I expect the False Awakening Suite to be more unified than that. In fact, I expect the three parts to be just as unified as Six Degrees or Octavarium. Which is part of why I consider most of the multi part epics to be suites as well. Just because they don't indicate that it's a suite doesn't mean it isn't. I'd say Six Degrees would definitely count as one. Like you said, a suite of movements making up one song. Octavarium isn't as obvious but the 5 movements are pretty distinct.
Except they didn't. There are musical passages and theme's that reoccurs throughout all three songs. They're just very subtle most of the time, which is quite awesome if you ask me. :tup

If False Awakening Suite is anything like that, I'll be very happy.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I'm not sure if anyone said that (too little time to skim over the last 5 pages!) but I'm pretty convinced that FAS won't be longer than 5-6 minutes. Maaaximum 8.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
AMBI was definitely written to be connected, although i don't feel the flow between the songs is that great (mostly TSM, which just cuts off Voices).

Considering that the False Awakening Suite is one track on the album, and was charted on the infamous whiteboard as one entity, I think it's going to be a very cohesive suite.

Offline BlastParadigm

I'm not sure if anyone said that (too little time to skim over the last 5 pages!) but I'm pretty convinced that FAS won't be longer than 5-6 minutes. Maaaximum 8.

I'm willing to bet on something between 8 and 10. The way I see this suite being structured is extremely close to A Mind Beside Itself: instrumental introduction, but with orchestra, which will definitely extend it a little bit. The second part will be lengthy, with lyrics and some instrumental breaks. The final part will be a brief conclusion, going through all or some of the motifs introduced on the other two parts.
Of course, this is just me trying to guess stuff. Let's just wait to see, though I can say I hope I'm right.
The longer the better

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Just some thoughts on the cover:

#Maybe the toned downed earth with the rising sun is just a symbol for waking up from a dream.

#The earth is almost not visible because the earth is not the story subject, it's the horizon and the rising sun that's the focus point which then transforms into the awakening and dream subject.

#Maybe it's not even earth or a planet we see....yea yea kind of far fetched :lol but still.....lens flare...M Night Shamalaladingfjong...i'll just stop there.

#New logo equals new era.

#Maybe the reflections in the logo is something we'll wee more of in the CD booklet. The reflection reminds me of the Awake video and the scenes on the bridge.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
#Maybe it's not even earth or a planet we see....yea yea kind of far fetched :lol but still.....lens flare...M Night Shamalaladingfjong...i'll just stop there.

It's the Earth, I can see Spain and France! :D
- Marco

Offline emtee

Pretty pumped to hear what an unleased Mangini will sound like.

I wonder if they experimented and tried to cover some new gound or stayed close to their core sound.

Offline eosforum

I'm very curious about Lucid Dream. Sleep Paralysis will be an instumental intro, propably kinda mysterious and epic, night terror will propably be like War Inside my Head or TTTSTA. So is Lucid Dream going to be a proggy part (so that FAS will include everything DT is about) or a ballady slowdown that will segue with The Enemy within?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm very curious about Lucid Dream. Sleep Paralysis will be an instumental intro, propably kinda mysterious and epic, night terror will propably be like War Inside my Head or TTTSTA. So is Lucid Dream going to be a proggy part (so that FAS will include everything DT is about) or a ballady slowdown that will segue with The Enemy within?

I'm imagining Lucid Dream being an epic instrumental intro with the orchestra, somewhat like the SDOIT Overture, or Razor's Edge from Octavarium, with Night Terror being a chaotic heavy section like TTTSTA, with Lucid Dream being something soft and atmospheric, maybe acoustic, like TSM.

Then The Enemy Within will kick in as a badass metal track.

I can't wait to hear how off that guess is.  :caffeine:

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
Also, I have this impression that the snippet we caught on tape will be found on some part of FAS. I don't know, it felt like it. Anyone agree?
- Marco

Offline matte.braso

I wonder if they experimented and tried to cover some new gound or stayed close to their core sound.

I think while their melodic and atmospheric side won't change, the biggest surprises could come from the instrumental parts. MM could have opened the band to new rythmical solutions, thus creating some crazier stuff than before...uff, just can't wait to see the result :sad:

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Hello everybody.

I`m not the facebook guy.

*snip*
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 07:53:41 AM by hefdaddy42 »
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hello everybody.

*snip*
Please don't link to that.  It's a mistake and hasn't been cleared yet for release.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LBC.

• Into infinity.
Hello everybody.

*snip*
Please don't link to that.  It's a mistake and hasn't been cleared yet for release.

Ok, but the information is very clear:

*snip*
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:11:18 AM by hefdaddy42 »
There's only 12 notes, do what you want with them.

Offline eosforum

Hey we appreciate the heads-up, but even discussing the material is not allowed before they are released.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hello everybody.

*snip*

Ok, but the information is very clear:

*snip*
Not sure why you are sharing information from a video I told you not to share.  Cut it out.