Author Topic: Dream Theater self titled album discussion - [SPOILER FREE DISCUSSION ONLY]  (Read 911863 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
hmm, divisible by 11. Clever.

24:36. It should be divisible by 12. :neverusethis:

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
[/img]
hmm, divisible by 11. Clever.

24:36. It should be divisible by 12. :neverusethis:
:omg:

Awesome!
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
23:20, that is 5*8*58.

/offtopic

:biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Think of most pop and R&B, albums. 
No, thanks, I'd rather not.
:lol

Hey, don't be a snob.  There's not much music I don't like.  I like deep...but I like fun, too.

I just wasn't exposed to concept music as a kid.  No FM on my little transistor (no touching dad's radio!).  I didn't have a proper FM tuner til I was 15.  Up til that time, it was strictly AM top 40 for me.  I.m just glad play lists were much more diverse than they are now.

So.  No Pink Floyd, no Zeppelin, no Rush, no Dream Theater.  These are adult, acquired tastes for me.  And delicious.
T
Not being a snob.  Just saying that most pop/R&B sucks.  Not all.  Just most.

And not sure what you mean by "concept" music and then mentioning the acts you did.  Most of the albums written by those groups didn't have anything to do with concepts - they were just albums full of songs. 

How old are you?  And when did you discover rock music and its derivatives?  I'm 40, and some things you say about music and listening habits seem incredible coming from someone my age or older (or even somewhat younger).  No disrespect intended, of course, just asking, because it's fascinating to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
I am 48.

All albums are full of songs.  But from what I'm reading here, DT records, are often meant to be consumed as a whole, not necessarily created for singles releases/radio play.  I've noticed that about Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Rush, etc,

I didn't grow up listening to music like that...or even that genre.  This is a recent taste sensation for me.  The rock i grew up with was what i heard on the top 40 radio, which included a lot of different types of music but not much direction to huy entire albums.  As i mentioned, my music was on 45s, not LPs.

As an adult my preference was jazz, classical, Latin, vocalists (Luther Vandross, Chaka Khan, Sarah Vaughan, Bonnie Raitt, Michael Jackson, Sting, Prince), as i am a singer, and fusion - Chick Corea, Jaco Pastorious, Lenny White, Marcus Miller, etc.  And Santana.   My crowd didn't listen to the type of music chatted about here, that's why I'm enjoying myself so much.

One should never have a closed musical mind.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: That's a true range of styles, isn't it?
« Reply #1300 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
My musical mind is wide open. I listen to metal and prog.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 09:20:13 PM by Shadow Ninja 2.0 »

Offline sueño

You have many years to grow, grasshopper.   :coolio
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline sdfdsv

From JR's twitter  :angry:

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Ah, so the song is 70 degrees!  Comfortably warm but not hot.  I'm excited.

Offline matte.braso

what does M eq 7# mean?

Offline Sycsa

Many people say that it's a virtue to be open minded about music and they often take pride in listening to multiple genres. I never understood why having a wide musical range is something to brag about. I don't think you choose the type of music you like, the music chooses you, whether it's just one, or half a dozen different genres. Evolving tastes could lead to a wider musical horizon, but also a more narrow, focused one.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline unklejman

Many people say that it's a virtue to be open minded about music and they often take pride in listening to multiple genres. I never understood why having a wide musical range is something to brag about. I don't think you choose the type of music you like, the music chooses you, whether it's just one, or half a dozen different genres. Evolving tastes could lead to a wider musical horizon, but also a more narrow, focused one.

Being able to enjoy more music means being able to enjoy more music. How is that not a wonderful thing? It could also indicate a deeper appreciation for music beyond just the aesthetic surface. I can appreciate a well crafted pop song as long as it's thoughtful and doesn't stoop to being obnoxious in order to be catchy. 

Offline GandL

Offline Flacracker

Is that his car? SOMEONE DRIVE NEAR HIM TO HEAR IT.

Offline jammindude

It's just that it's kindof like saying you LOVE FOOD....when the only thing you eat is pizza.   If you ONLY eat pizza, you don't love food...you love pizza. 

I don't know if bragging is the right word.   I don't go around giving people a long list of all the different musical genres I listen to.   I just calmly state the truth...that I listen to a little bit of everything...and leave it at that. 

My personal opinion is that anyone who only listens to one type of music is the same as someone who only eats one kind of food.   More power to them I guess.   Because to be honest, I was once that way.    So it's not like I don't get it.    I guess I just feel like I grew up, and I don't see why anyone views that as something to be frowned upon or not to be strived for.   We should ALWAYS be growing, maturing, expanding....I mean, that's kindof the whole point of life, right?   No one wants to live life in still water...  (FW reference intended.  ;) )
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Sycsa

Being able to enjoy more music means being able to enjoy more music. How is that not a wonderful thing?
I didn't even imply that it's not a "wonderful thing". I just don't get the sense of superiority that sometimes comes with it. Although I don't think that listening to more genres necessarily equals more musical joy in life. Actually, talking about people I know, the casual music listeners tend to have a wider range and the ones who are really passionate about music (musicians, concert goers) only really listen to 1-2 genres, or to music which features certain instruments. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline sueño

I don't normally talk about all the music I like...and I'm certainly not bragging.  It's just a fact of my life.  *shrug*  I was asked the reasons for my peculiar (for this lot) listening habits and I tried to explain.   I hope it made some kind of sense.

I love music more than any other diversion in life - no exaggeration.  It's like magic in the air ( think of the Monster in "Young Frankenstein" grabbing at the air when he heard the beautiful music  :azn: ).  I love there is so much beauty to explore, a love that is shared by every culture on earth.  I want to hear it all!

I know I won't love all of it.  But I've liked a whole lot more than not.  Without exploring it all, "staying focused", there is so much that I love now that I would have missed, including prog.  :)

That said, the focus I've seen demonstrated here is astonishing - in a good way.  I've learned so much in such a short time and I could never return the favor about any music that I know about.

Thanks to you all!    :hefdaddy

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
what does M eq 7# mean?

I'm guessing Master EQ version 7

Offline matte.braso

it could be the version of the mix with the keyboards predominant :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

it could be the version of the mix with the keyboards predominant :biggrin:
You mean.....

A pre Dominant 7 ? :neverusethis:

Offline matte.braso

mmm if so we'll find the answer on EarWizard :P

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
I am fairly new to DT.  I accidently heard a music video of OTBOA after a rush concert on cable.  How did not learn about DT?  Everytime I mention DT to friends, they never heard of them.  I too like different kinds of music, but cannot get into country or thrash metal.

I don't normally talk about all the music I like...and I'm certainly not bragging.  It's just a fact of my life.  *shrug*  I was asked the reasons for my peculiar (for this lot) listening habits and I tried to explain.   I hope it made some kind of sense.

I love music more than any other diversion in life - no exaggeration.  It's like magic in the air ( think of the Monster in "Young Frankenstein" grabbing at the air when he heard the beautiful music  :azn: ).  I love there is so much beauty to explore, a love that is shared by every culture on earth.  I want to hear it all!

I know I won't love all of it.  But I've liked a whole lot more than not.  Without exploring it all, "staying focused", there is so much that I love now that I would have missed, including prog.  :)

That said, the focus I've seen demonstrated here is astonishing - in a good way.  I've learned so much in such a short time and I could never return the favor about any music that I know about.

Thanks to you all!    :hefdaddy
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Letter M

Illumination Theory - 21:12

WWRD :neverusethis:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning

Offline 425

I am fairly new to DT.  I accidently heard a music video of OTBOA after a rush concert on cable.  How did not learn about DT?  Everytime I mention DT to friends, they never heard of them.  I too like different kinds of music, but cannot get into country or thrash metal.

No way! We definitely saw the same exact thing, because that was the first time I saw DT. I say saw, because I was somewhat into them by being referred by a friend, but that was between first album (ToT) and falling in love (IaW). So we didn't get into them through the exact same spot, but still, thought it was a cool coincidence when I read your post.

To the off-topic topic, my music tastes are focused, but I've only been into music that intensely for a couple of years, so I first went for depth in a few favorite bands, and NOW I'm going for breadth. As sueño has described so well, I'm not expecting to like all the music out there (or in my case even a majority of it) but I still want to experience it and continue expanding my tastes. Maybe at the end of the day I always will come back home to prog and metal because that's what I definitely love, but I do want to see what else is out there in music.

To the actual topic: Does anyone think we can add this JR picture to the mounting evidence pile that Illumination Theory is the 20+ minute epic? I know a lot of us have been acting under the assumption that it is because it has the most movements, but some have pointed out that this doesn't mean anything for certain. I think this adds to the evidence because I think JR, knowing us fans as he does, knew that we would freak out the most over the 20 minute epic, so he posted that picture. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this, but it's just a thought I'd had.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
So I looked up the new album on Best Buy's website and on Amazon to see if they posted the song lengths, and I noticed that both sites had two different listings for the album - a Japanese import and one with a bonus DVD. The Japanese import one was over 40 dollars, and the bonus DVD one was 69 bucks! I've never heard of a studio album with a bonus DVD being over 25 dollars. Does anyone else find this very strange??
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
I'm not surprised at all, Japanese CDs are always more expensive. You can be sure the American and European editions won't be nearly as pricey :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
I'm not surprised at all, Japanese CDs are always more expensive. You can be sure the American and European editions won't be nearly as pricey :)

Hopefully! I will buy the album either way, but I would be pleased if my wallet didn't cry in pain in doing so :lol
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
So I looked up the new album on Best Buy's website and on Amazon to see if they posted the song lengths, and I noticed that both sites had two different listings for the album - a Japanese import and one with a bonus DVD. The Japanese import one was over 40 dollars, and the bonus DVD one was 69 bucks! I've never heard of a studio album with a bonus DVD being over 25 dollars. Does anyone else find this very strange??

I find it strange because no statements have been issued as to what each package will contain. They're speculating on both content and price. The special edition of SC was under $25. Same with BC&SL. There's no way it will be $69. The import being $40 is reasonable.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Don't look too much into the prices on websites like Amazon and Best Buy. Really until September you're going to be seeing a lot of weird stuff with the info as everything is put together. This happens with every new release. Just wait until DT decides to release the format info on their site and you'll be good to go. :)
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline aprilethereal

Don't forget his comment: "This will blow your mind!!" :2metal:

Offline mellotron_scratch

Hopefully it does. The excitement is building...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
 "Illumination Theory".....I love that title!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline matte.braso

Jordan, you cannot do this to us!! you know we are too sensitive in seeing such pics :'(