Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352336 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 04, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »
shut up gaoo

That's not even acceptable as a drunken misspelling. It's not even close. :rollin
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1261 on: July 04, 2011, 11:52:32 PM »
its close enough bitch
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1262 on: July 04, 2011, 11:53:42 PM »
I dunno why, but Quad calling someone a bitch is really funny

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1263 on: July 04, 2011, 11:59:46 PM »
im always funny
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1264 on: July 05, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
I've always thought you were a more serious poster (not that that is a bad thing at all)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1265 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:55 AM »
I've always thought you were a more serious poster (not that that is a bad thing at all)

james

im like
so drunk tright now
i wont eeven know

so yea. im funny
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1266 on: July 05, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure how that is relevant to what I said to the ppudding on the wall wall wall

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1267 on: July 05, 2011, 12:12:52 AM »
what is that i don't eve
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1268 on: July 05, 2011, 11:24:19 AM »
https://guitarinternational.com/2011/06/30/the-dear-hunter-mastermind-casey-crescenzo-interview-boundaries-are-self-imposed/

new interview

Acts IV, V and VI might all come out at once, or over the course of two years!

Also, Casey is getting/got married!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: July 05, 2011, 11:27:34 AM »
If you were friends with him on Facebook you'd know he was recently wed.  What kind of fan are you?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: July 05, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Three albums at once? You know, I was about to say "I'll believe it when I see it", but...if he was able to put together a project as huge as The Color Spectrum, I guess he could do that as well.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1271 on: July 05, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
Really interesting interview, Casey seems like such a great guy, but I have to say, he doesn't seem to really know what he wants, or what he wants to do. After making such a good name for The Dear Hunter, quickly releasing Acts IV-VI digital only (which he suggests as a possibility) would be incredibly lame IMO. But he seems to consider it just to get it out of the way.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1272 on: July 05, 2011, 02:49:22 PM »
I have to agree with Ariich.
Obviously it's great that he is very productive and makes so much quality music, but I'm just afraid that TDH won't be enough for him one day, and that he'll do something else instead.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1273 on: July 05, 2011, 03:00:45 PM »
I doubt he'll ever stop doing The Dear Hunter.  The Dear Hunter isn't a BAND... it's just the name Casey applies to whatever he happens to be working on at the moment.  I doubt very much that he would just throw the last three acts out there as an afterthought.  Truth is, I find it refreshing that he's going to just do what he wants, when he wants, rather than trying to conform or force himself to stay within one particular frame or mindset.  I've always felt that TDH music was very natural, and I think that comes out of the fact that Casey writes what he feels like writing, so the music is always genuine.  As for the quality/status of the last three acts, considering the care and insane effort that went into TCS, I find it extremely unlikely that he would just be like "Oh, hey, you can go download Acts IV, V and VI now.  Done?  Good, Let's move on."

He's the sort of guy that puts 100% into everything he does.  There's no reason to think the last three Acts would be any different.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1274 on: July 05, 2011, 03:05:17 PM »
I agree with all of that, and I don't think he'd actually create the albums as any kind of afterthought. But he just gives the impression that the release of them will be done in as quick and efficient a way as possible, and I don't like the idea of digital-only. I still find it pretty ridiculous that I had to buy TCS on mp3, especially considering the problems with the mp3s glitching outside of the US (which I assume is still the case? I had to resort to torrenting it because I paid my money and iTunes never replied to me, so I don't know if it was ever resolved).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1275 on: July 05, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »
I really want physical copies as well, why TCS wasn't released on CD is beyond me.
If they can do it on friggin Vinyl, why not on CD?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1276 on: July 05, 2011, 03:23:41 PM »
Buy the vinyl.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: July 05, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
I really want physical copies as well, why TCS wasn't released on CD is beyond me.
If they can do it on friggin Vinyl, why not on CD?

Because they're a pretty small band and designing that shit costs money on top of the money it actually costs to produce each unit. Realistically, if the number of full sets they are going to sell physically is small enough it could just not make sense for them to offer it in both formats. They might sell a few more individual units but if it's not very many more than would have gotten the vinyl anyways than they end up not making as much because of that initial cost. Faced with that, they went with vinyl because out of all the people who do want a physical format you can be sure that the vinyl people would have screamed the loudest.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1278 on: July 05, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
Yeah but even though Vinyl is coming back more and more, CD is the bigger format out of the two.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1279 on: July 05, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
Yeah but even though Vinyl is coming back more and more, CD is the bigger format out of the two.
This. EVERYONE has a way of playing CDs, but lots of us don't have a way of playing vinyl.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1280 on: July 05, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
As for the release event, I doubt very much that the release would be just some sort of minor insignificant thing.  That's just not his style.

As for the skipping, that issue was resolved.  It was an issue created at the distribution level.  It should be handled by iTunes directly.  If they haven't responded I'd suggest contacting them again.

As for the CD vs. vinyl release for TCS - I'm pretty sure that it will almost certainly be released on CD at some point.  I think the issue was really just a misread prediction.  I think Casey actually did suggest doing it on CD, but the label shot him down.  They didn't think there would be enough interest in the CD version.  Obviously they were wrong, and they've learned that the hard way, but Casey has definitely suggested that it will be addressed at some point.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1281 on: July 05, 2011, 08:08:05 PM »
I don't see the problem not releasing it on CDs- if you don't want to invest in the wax just get the digital..
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #1282 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:06 PM »
I don't see the problem not releasing it on CDs- if you don't want to invest in the wax just get the digital..
And the digital copies can be burned onto a CD  :lol Yeah I don't get the problem either
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1283 on: July 05, 2011, 09:34:06 PM »
I guess the complaint is that the mp3 quality isn't as good as CD quality?  Tbh though I have trouble really noticing a major difference...

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1284 on: July 05, 2011, 10:19:05 PM »
well there's no CD quality to compare it with so there's no problem there.

Vinyl is obviously going to be superior but even then you could theoretically rip the vinyl as a flac and burn those.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1285 on: July 05, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »

Because some people want the physical package, but would like to have one they can actually use if they're going to invest the money in it.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1286 on: July 06, 2011, 02:00:51 AM »

Because some people want the physical package, but would like to have one they can actually use if they're going to invest the money in it.
This. I have no way of playing vinyl, so that boxset is useless to me.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1287 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:24 AM »
What Sigz said.
I mean, personally I love collecting music, especially supporting the bands I really like.
My two options would be to either buy the Vinyl, which I can't even hear, and would then have to invest a lot of money in a new soundsystem, or not buying anything at all.
I'd love a third option to buy the whole thing on CD, but that isn't possible.
And I would NEVER buy digital mp3-albums, that's just a very lame idea IMO, because when I pay for an album, I really want the whole 'package', and if I buy an album in mp3, then I only get like half of the stuff, and no physical copy.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1288 on: July 06, 2011, 06:03:05 AM »
Okay, the vinyl finally arrived here in Germany!  :hat No additional custom fees, luckily.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1289 on: July 06, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »
Okay, the vinyl finally arrived here in Germany!  :hat No additional custom fees, luckily.

Great, it should arrive here soon too. Maybe it got here today, which coincidentally is the only day in the whole last month that there will be nobody to pick it up at home.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1290 on: July 06, 2011, 06:10:56 AM »
OH MY GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE?!
Now my darling, put your clothes back on.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1291 on: July 06, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
One of the great things about musicians like Casey is that they can come out with such a wide variety of musical styles and can be very diverse. The bad thing is that they seem to grow bored quickly. It sounds in that interview to me that he's ready to move on from "traditional" TDH sound and the Acts musically, but feels like he needs to finish them for either personal reasons or for the fans. I personally don't want him to finish them for the wrong reasons, but at the same time I want them to stylistically fit with the first three. Hopefully he won't release tham all at once. That's too much music to process at one time for me, just the The Color Spectrum has been.

And it's basically official now if it wasn't before. The Dear Hunter is Casey Crescendo's solo project and not really a band. Which is fine I guess. On some level I'm bothered by the revolving door of other musicians, but as long as the music is good I'll keep enjoying it.

And I would NEVER buy digital mp3-albums
Give it a few more years and I'm going to guess you won't have any other option with many albums. Sure, bands may release some on vinyl, but physical media is on it's last breaths. Hopefully there's a push for higher quality mp3s since hard drive space is cheap and internet connections are fast enough to handle large downloads.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1292 on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
Personally I think 'buying' music, like physical copies from stores and such has gone up in the last few years, maybe it's because a lot of my favorite bands (some examples would be Porcupine Tree, Radiohead and Sigur Rós) are bands that put in a lot of effort in making the albums more then music.
Putting in more effort to make it more of a piece of art, like spend a lot of time on the exterior (just look at some of Steven Wilson's special editions), and overall I feel like more and more artists have started doing this.
Releasing just an album with a thin booklet isn't "enough" anymore, so it's great to see improvement on that front.  ;)

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1293 on: July 06, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
Absolutely. Maybe this will also bring more people to buying this art instead of just illegally downloading the music.

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1294 on: July 07, 2011, 05:38:17 AM »
If any one of you knows where I can find a vinyl of this still, or if one of you has a vinyl but not a record player I'd happily buy it off of you.  My girlfriend got me a record player from Urban Outfitters.  It can also convert vinyl to mp3.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: