Author Topic: Favorite Bands vs. Favorite Albums (Bands/Brands and Where Your Fandom Is)  (Read 1188 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Favorite Bands vs. Favorite Albums (Bands/Brands and Where Your Fandom Is)
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2024, 06:26:13 PM »
That's interesting.  For me, I only listen to classic rock/metal and am only interested in what the bands I like released in the 70's/80's/early 90's (queensryche, priest, maiden, saxon, etc).  Everything post that I listen to and think that's good (ie- new Accept, new Saxon).  But there isn't a chance I'm listening to the new Saxon over Power and Glory.  But that's just me, I have almost 100% no interest in new music.

For me, finding new music that I love is almost an addiction. Or maybe like finding treasure. I have unbreakable connections with countless albums from my past but I need to keep exploring.

Get out of my head!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 07:33:11 PM »
It seems there's a stark contrast between musical explorers here and people who've given up.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2024, 09:29:10 PM »
Trying to understand the concept, but there are certain bands that I would put some sort of qualifier on when discussing them.

Examples:

I love Def Leppard but it sucks they stopped making music after Hysteria.
I love Incubus but it sucks they stopped making music after Crow.

For the most part, I am a completest when it comes to my music but I have started to cut off some bands after I gave them too much leeway. I bought far too many H-era Marillion albums than I should have. I cut off In This Moment after 1 or 2 too many albums, etc.

I guess for stuff like the above I would say 'I'm a fan' or 'I'm a huge fan, but'.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2024, 06:38:51 AM »

The only instance where this has happened for me was Iced Earth, having watched my favorite musician and band implode via national politics, January 6 and the inevitable cancel culture that followed.  I don't listen to their albums much anymore, despite still holding some in high regard.  I have moments where I remember the awesome music and personal memories, and moments like now, where I'm just into other bands and going back to Iced Earth doesn't hold my interest. 

Grapp, we've talked about this before, but I think you will get back into IE's music more as time goes on. Traumatic things involving music/bands that you identified with...takes a long time to heal/accept. It differs for people, but even my wife, who was as big a QR fan as I was back in the 90s, now listens to the band's original music again and talks about it, after years of basically giving them the middle finger. And trust me, we know about trauma.  :lol

I just listened to Horror Show the other day. FANTASTIC album. It's probably my favorite record by Iced Earth.

After January 6th, I took a 10 month break from the music.  It became a game actually:  how long can I go without listening to it and giving other music a chance?  After those months, it was refreshing to listen to it again.  What I meant in my post above was that I actually find myself listening to the music less as time passes and the breakup of the band was more the cause of that than anything - there's nothing to look forward to anymore. 

Either way, I'm back on the IE-train, but since the band is inactive, I favor other music more often now than I used to despite still loving the band and their records.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2024, 06:46:07 AM »

The only instance where this has happened for me was Iced Earth, having watched my favorite musician and band implode via national politics, January 6 and the inevitable cancel culture that followed.  I don't listen to their albums much anymore, despite still holding some in high regard.  I have moments where I remember the awesome music and personal memories, and moments like now, where I'm just into other bands and going back to Iced Earth doesn't hold my interest. 

Grapp, we've talked about this before, but I think you will get back into IE's music more as time goes on. Traumatic things involving music/bands that you identified with...takes a long time to heal/accept. It differs for people, but even my wife, who was as big a QR fan as I was back in the 90s, now listens to the band's original music again and talks about it, after years of basically giving them the middle finger. And trust me, we know about trauma.  :lol

I just listened to Horror Show the other day. FANTASTIC album. It's probably my favorite record by Iced Earth.

After January 6th, I took a 10 month break from the music.  It became a game actually:  how long can I go without listening to it and giving other music a chance?  After those months, it was refreshing to listen to it again.  What I meant in my post above was that I actually find myself listening to the music less as time passes and the breakup of the band was more the cause of that than anything - there's nothing to look forward to anymore. 

Either way, I'm back on the IE-train, but since the band is inactive, I favor other music more often now than I used to despite still loving the band and their records.

Um, were you in jail?

I kid, I kid.   (And sorry if it's too sensitive a topic for you to joke about.)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2024, 07:43:20 AM »
It seems there's a stark contrast between musical explorers here and people who've given up.
I've given up.  Just not on music lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2024, 08:49:53 AM »
I think some of it goes back to what you get most out of your time. If you like nostalgia, go back to your favorites. But also do you find your time is best used if you hear new music (or how about just NEW MUSIC TO YOU).

I'm doing my Albums of the Year series on my YouTube channel and it has me discovering a ton of albums I only vaguely knew or didn't know at all..and bands. Like Joe Jackson, Talking Heads, 10cc, Steely Dan, Ultravox, ELO, Supertramp, and some others.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 09:16:08 AM by SoundscapeMN »

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2024, 08:51:21 AM »

Um, were you in jail?

I kid, I kid.   (And sorry if it's too sensitive a topic for you to joke about.)

Some days it feels like I'm in jail with too many responsibilities tying me down!   I'm assuming you're up to speed about Schaffer and Iced Earth, but I've always been a realist about J6.  It was going to hurt him no matter what, given his association and membership as an Oathkeeper.  He might be the band-leader, but he's going to prison for a while and there is potential for him to go into witness protection (his testimony was used to convict Stuart Rhodes, Enrique Torrio and others). 

He may resurrect the band in 4-7 years, but it's crushing to watch your favorite band break up, your favorite musician disgust you with his actions, and knowing that you may never see them live again, and that new music will be a long ways off.  I was really turned off by the fact that I was a die-hard fan for 20 years, supported the band in every way possible, and he blew everything apart in one moment.  I put their albums on the shelf - I couldn't separate that music from the person.  I got over that eventually and still love the music. 
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 01:09:40 PM by Grappler »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2024, 10:18:46 AM »
Trying to understand the concept, but there are certain bands that I would put some sort of qualifier on when discussing them.

Examples:

I love Def Leppard but it sucks they stopped making music after Hysteria.
I love Incubus but it sucks they stopped making music after Crow.

For the most part, I am a completest when it comes to my music but I have started to cut off some bands after I gave them too much leeway. I bought far too many H-era Marillion albums than I should have. I cut off In This Moment after 1 or 2 too many albums, etc.

I guess for stuff like the above I would say 'I'm a fan' or 'I'm a huge fan, but'.

I think you nailed my point in a much more succinct way. At some point, you grab onto a band's material, and go along for the ride, but as we've all gotten older, for me at least, I recognize those stopping points more often.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online HOF

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2024, 10:29:33 AM »
The bands with extensive catalogs who have never lost me a bit are few and far between. Marillion and Big Big Train are the two who I can say continue to put out music and have not to this point seriously let me down. Rush fell off at the very end (though I also came in at the very end). Genesis I came in after the fact, but there is a little bit of a let up at the end (I actually like the last two albums though). Spock's Beard had a phase where I kind of stopped paying attention, though I've come around on most of the post-Neal stuff now. The Flower Kings I just kind of accept for what they are now. I generally enjoy their new music but it doesn't have much impact. Dream Theater lost me. Neal Morse lost me. Transatlantic lost me (but sort of recovered with their last one).

Some of my favorite artists are the ones who didn't stick around long enough to let you down. The Blue Nile and Talk Talk never released a bad album in their brief runs but now they are done. Peter Gabriel and Tears for Fears have been so infrequently active, but have only released strong albums. Kip Winger as a solo artist hasn't let me down but is mostly inactive now (Winger is a different story, they more or less lost me).

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2024, 12:33:34 PM »
I'm doing my Albums of the Year series on my YouTube channel and it has me discovering a ton of albums I only vaguely knew or didn't know at all..and bands. Like...10cc, Steely Dan, Ultravox, ELO...

You should just pull up my roulette pre-90s round playlist, lol.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2024, 12:56:07 PM »
The bands with extensive catalogs who have never lost me a bit are few and far between. Marillion and Big Big Train are the two who I can say continue to put out music and have not to this point seriously let me down. Rush fell off at the very end (though I also came in at the very end). Genesis I came in after the fact, but there is a little bit of a let up at the end (I actually like the last two albums though). Spock's Beard had a phase where I kind of stopped paying attention, though I've come around on most of the post-Neal stuff now. The Flower Kings I just kind of accept for what they are now. I generally enjoy their new music but it doesn't have much impact. Dream Theater lost me. Neal Morse lost me. Transatlantic lost me (but sort of recovered with their last one).

Some of my favorite artists are the ones who didn't stick around long enough to let you down. The Blue Nile and Talk Talk never released a bad album in their brief runs but now they are done. Peter Gabriel and Tears for Fears have been so infrequently active, but have only released strong albums. Kip Winger as a solo artist hasn't let me down but is mostly inactive now (Winger is a different story, they more or less lost me).

And then there's the bands like Jane's Addiction and Night Ranger.  If they had stuck to the original run (like The Cars largely did), they would be golden.   The first three Jane's records are damn near perfect in their execution.  The Night Ranger albums through Man In Motion are stellar.    Both took a break, both came back, and both.... don't have one song in the latter catalogue that I would share with someone I loved (well, lie; each has ONE, and to be fair "Strays" and "Neverland" aren't bad records.)