News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

Words you'd like to see retired

Started by black_biff_stadler, June 11, 2011, 05:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerdil

In favor of both, just hate the imprecision that people who are against both engender when using the terms.

EPICVIEW

Fosmizzle.

I think I going to scream the next time I hear that word..

chknptpie

black_biff_stadler

Phantasmatron

Quote from: chknptpie on June 15, 2011, 12:01:12 PM
"No"  :hat

:rollin

Of all the people on this forum, you might be the last one I'd have expected to come up with that one.

Which is probably why it made me laugh so hard.

chknptpie

What can I say... some times I can make a funny, its just rare  :lol

SPNKr

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: Phantasmatron on June 15, 2011, 04:19:02 PM
Quote from: chknptpie on June 15, 2011, 12:01:12 PM
"No"  :hat

:rollin

Of all the people on this forum, you might be the last one I'd have expected to come up with that one.

Which is probably why it made me laugh so hard.
This. :rollin

chknptpie

black_biff_stadler

Actually I'd least expect the "no" joke from Kura based on the whole series of misunderstandings/philosophizations in that thread with the long list of man code things.

I'm not trying to call her a prude in any way but merely stating that I feel she's the DTFer for whom it would've been most out of character.

Nighthawkwill7

IM speak and curse words.

Also, Epic and awesome are sadly overused. Tis a shame  :-\

EasterDavy

"Mad"

The adjective form. As in "that was mad good," or "that was mad weird." Usually used by 15 year olds.

Zook

Meme lingo. Inb4 smartass meme lingo replies.

Genowyn

Jamesman42

\o\ lol /o/

Zook

LieLowTheWantedMan

Yeah, I hate when names are misspelled too.

black_biff_stadler

Portrucci

VioletS16

"Epic". I have this one friend that goes around saying, "epic" like it's the word that means everything.
"That movie was epic"
"This food is epic"
"This show is epic"
"Talking toasters are epic"
>.< And she has the most bland, blah voice you will EVERY hear. She has absolutely no emotion in her WHAT-SO-EVER. Gets on my goddamn nerves.

I'm with you on the rockstar one.
Hannah Montana is not a "rockstar", nor is Rihanna, or Ke$ha, yet everyone seems to call them that :( AXL ROSE is a rockstar, Hannah Montana is a popstar.

Cool Chris

Quote from: VioletS16 on June 16, 2011, 11:00:22 AM
Hannah Montana is not a "rockstar", nor is Rihanna, or Ke$ha, yet everyone seems to call them that :( AXL ROSE is a rockstar, Hannah Montana is a popstar.

We might as well add 'Diva' to the list then. Not every female who has ever recorded a vocal performance is a diva.

black_biff_stadler

Quote from: Cool Chris on June 16, 2011, 11:36:01 AM
We might as well add 'Diva' to the list then. Not every female who has ever recorded a vocal performance is a diva.

Yeah. prima donna seems to get the same misusage but I don't mind it as much since it never got nearly as bad as the diva thing and also because most abuses of context/meaning aren't all that bad but get to be bad once society jumps on the bandwagon and seemingly everyone has to use the same words incorrectly.

JosephAOI

Quote from: Bombardana on June 14, 2011, 11:50:25 AM
br00tal

normally just means some shitty breakdown
This. Also, "Chode" which my old friend heard in an A Day To Remember studio update and uses it for an insult at least 30 times a day. I'm no longer friends with him though, so that's good.

Also, I hate when people change the spelling of their names to be cool. I don't really know why, it just really gets on my nerves.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: Portrucci on June 15, 2011, 08:36:46 PM
haha u guys are so butthurt

Speaking of "Butthurt," that's one of the words that should go away.  I don't even get what it's supposed to mean.

black_biff_stadler

Quote from: ReaPsTA on June 16, 2011, 03:46:49 PM

Speaking of "Butthurt," that's one of the words that should go away.  I don't even get what it's supposed to mean.

You seriously don't know what it means? Okay I'll be gullible enough to take you seriously and divulge my take on it. I may be slightly off but I think it basically refers to overreacting to something seemingly minor to an extent on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

ricky

Quote from: VioletS16 on June 16, 2011, 11:00:22 AM
"Epic". I have this one friend that goes around saying, "epic" like it's the word that means everything.
"That movie was epic"
"This food is epic"
"This show is epic"
"Talking toasters are epic"
>.< And she has the most bland, blah voice you will EVERY hear. She has absolutely no emotion in her WHAT-SO-EVER. Gets on my goddamn nerves.

psh. epic is the sheet.

black_biff_stadler

I'd like to also say in addition to words I'd like to see retired I'd also love to see more than three posts go by without the obligatory unfunny sarcastic quip where people intentionally use the words that were just nominated for retiring.

It was cute the first time or two but nothing more than spam after that. No offense to anyone who may have made the kind of post I just described but it's redundant to the point of annoyance now.

Zook

Quote from: black_floyd on June 16, 2011, 05:03:58 PM

You seriously don't know what it means? Okay I'll be gullible enough to take you seriously and divulge my take on it. I may be slightly off but I think it basically refers to overreacting to something seemingly minor to an extent on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

So basically getting pissed off about something.

Wait, what the fuck is "buttloved"?

Portrucci

Anal penetration

anyone want to change the topic?

Zook

black_biff_stadler

Quote from: Zook on June 16, 2011, 07:19:06 PM
Quote from: Portrucci on June 16, 2011, 07:03:08 PM
Anal penetration

.... Right...

Actually Zook, he got it right. I just read the syntax of my post and it definitely could've been more concise but that was what I was more or less saying.

Portrucci

Quote from: black_floyd on June 16, 2011, 08:45:09 PM
Anal penetration

.... Right...

Actually Zook, he got it right. I just read the syntax of my post and it definitely could've been more concise but that was what I was more or less saying.
also, I've joined the club and sig'd you  :lol :tup

Zook

I'm confused. That ''right'' was more of an embarrassed ''oh''... I wanna go back to sleep. :(

black_biff_stadler

Quote from: Portrucci on June 16, 2011, 09:50:20 PM
Quote from: black_floyd on June 16, 2011, 08:45:09 PM
Anal penetration

.... Right...

also, I've joined the club and sig'd you  :lol :tup

*adds Portrucci to list*

Thanks again :coolio

ReaPsTA

Quote from: black_floyd on June 16, 2011, 05:03:58 PM

Oh no, I get that.  But why "butthurt" specifically.  What's sorta the logic behind it?  "Oh, you can't take a joke man, stop acting like you were just fucked in the ass."  Is that it?

The other thing is that everytime someone says butthurt they seem so proud of themselves for using the word.  It's like the height of douchedom.