Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352720 times)

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #1155 on: June 21, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »
Anyone notice the spectacular drumming on Take More Than You Need?

Also, A Sea Of Solid Earth is awesome.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 01:37:35 PM by Pirate »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #1156 on: June 22, 2011, 06:58:08 AM »
Some new insight into the Acts storyline from the man himself:

[22:00] casey: ms leading was a dirty whore.
[22:00] casey: im sorry
[22:00] casey: a retarded whore.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1157 on: June 22, 2011, 10:18:17 AM »
Just listened to White.  Came in my pants.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1158 on: June 22, 2011, 10:23:45 AM »
Just listened to White.  Came in my pants.

Fitting, eh? :lol

Offline Chzn8r

• Where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin
« Reply #1159 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:06 AM »
I'm really glad to see that there's so much interest in The Dear Hunter here as well. This community and 5/8 split just as The Dear Hunter were in the formative stages of getting recognition among our userbase. I suppose strong word-of-mouth and avid promotion from people like Soundscape, Ariich, and ZeppelinDT have kept interest high which is awesome.

This band is honestly on the verge of something big. They just need for that bit of "press" or whatever to pick them up and sweep them along. Pitchfork has yet to run a piece on ANY of their albums but I'm certain the publicity would do them a lot of good. (it was nice to see a positive review on Sputnik Music). Combine that with maybe a spot on Jimmy Fallon and BAM. There's no reason they couldn't be picked by a wave just like Fleet Foxes and other recent indie darlings have been. (in b4 somebody says "but I want this band to stay small and special so I can see them at small clubs!!")

I don't like it any more or less than the Acts. It's a completely different kind of work and so not really comparable.

You've said a lot in this thread that I agree with but this hits the nail on the head.

I listened through all three Acts today. There's something... incomparable, between the two. Acts I-III are among my favorite albums of all time and have many of my favorite songs. The best songs among them are towering works that most of the songs on The Color Spectrum could never match, one-on-one (ONE ON.... OOOONNNEEEE! ok sorry). Think about that for a second - deep down you can already tell that none of these songs stacks up to a "City Escape" or a "Red Hands". And yet, I love The Color Spectrum *so* much for what it is. It's quintessentially The Dear Hunter, and at the same time sounds "nothing like them" (mostly). Almost as though it's a new band. They've pushed into so much new territory.

It's just odd... I wouldn't even put it on the same plane as Act I or Act II, which I'd take to a desert island with me, and yet I give this work 5 stars as well. There's just such a wealth of good material. 36 songs, and the closest I come to "disliking" one is No God, simply for its amateurish lyrics. I think my rating comes more from the fact that my expectations were obliterated and I didn't expect such a massive treat from my favorite band at once.

Now for the obligatory "nobody will read this" part of my post (or maybe that was above?)

1. Orange (favorite cut - Echo)
2. Violet (Lillian - also the best overall)
3. Black (Take More Than You Need)
4. Yellow (Misplaced Devotion)
5. Indigo (Progress/Therma)
6. Green (The Canopy)
7. White (Lost But Not All Gone - in 7/8, fuck yeah!)
8. Blue (Tripping in Triplets, though the end of The Collapse of the Great Tide Cliffs is the most climactic and orgasmic moment on the album)
9. Red (We've Got a Score to Settle)

(but none of them are bad)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:23:06 AM by Chzn8r »

Offline Chzn8r

« Reply #1160 on: June 23, 2011, 01:29:23 AM »
5. "Take More Than You Need"

...Seriously?

Whatever man. :lol

Listen to that guitar solo again, bro.

Also, re: the compilation: I'm glad that they've got SOME kind of CD SKU to stock shelves with, but the reaction from most people (in this thread, as well as most people I heard talking about this release before it "officially" came out) has been that the compilation is underwhelming, loses people's attention, etc. I can see that. It's one thing to say "oh well they just didn't pick the best songs" (I'd have swapped out at least 6 of them), but really, a lot of the joy of listening to this record comes from the experience of moving between all the sounds and styles, while getting enough (15-20 minutes) in each to really settle in and absorb that sonic space. If you take away the scope and breadth of the work, even if you had the 11 best songs on one disc, it loses *so much* of its impact that it makes it seem like just another album.

It will be bittersweet that a number of people get it off the shelf that way - YAY they are introduced to The Dear Hunter, but BOO that they'll have no idea what they're missing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1161 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
Really good to see you here Aaron, and great posts! Completely agree about the sampler CD just not being the same. The thing that I love most about TCS is the way each EP has its own feel, its own identity. Take that away and it would still be excellent, but it wouldn't be such a masterpiece.

I also pretty much agree that there's no reason they couldn't now make it big with the right promotion. As a whole TCS is a huge work, but the songs themselves are so accessible.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1162 on: June 23, 2011, 04:14:06 AM »
Yellow is the best morning music ever.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Tripp

• "Just because I OD'ed doesn't mean I do drugs"
« Reply #1163 on: June 23, 2011, 04:54:19 AM »
Yellow is the best morning music ever.

First time I listened to it was while taking a walk at 5 A.M too, so fitting. Put me in the happiest mood I've ever been in
hi

Kosmo

« Reply #1164 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:05 AM »
I can't find TCS anywhere in this freaking country. What do?

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #1165 on: June 23, 2011, 05:43:49 AM »
get a mac

or order it online. I'm sure there would be many European distributors that would ship to Finland. You might have to pay a few dollars more though.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1166 on: June 23, 2011, 06:09:39 AM »
This band is honestly on the verge of something big.
While I sincerely hope you're right, I don't think this is the case. Let's face it, The Dear Hunter has now been around for several years and have released basically 4 albums. It's not like they're just starting out. They've been touring and supporting other bands with similar music style and they still haven't really caught on. Heck, Red Hands is probably the most radio friendly song they've ever done (and one of their best songs) and that didn't really get them anywhere.

Like I said, I hope you're right. I would love to see TDH get the recognition they deserve. Or at least get to the point where they have enough of a fanbase to actually make some money. I just don't see it happening unfortunately. Their music is just not quite indie, not quite prog, not quite anything. All of us here love them for that, but it makes it hard to really break through in any particular crowd.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1167 on: June 23, 2011, 08:08:49 AM »
Combine that with maybe a spot on Jimmy Fallon and BAM.

Interesting that you say that.  On the Dear Hunter forum we're actually right in the middle of putting together a campaign to get TDH on Fallon.  We've already mentioned it to Casey and at the moment we're just waiting on a response from their booking agent to put together a practical strategy.  There's already a small FB group up and running for it too.  We're hoping to hear back soon so we can take it to the next step.

While I sincerely hope you're right, I don't think this is the case. Let's face it, The Dear Hunter has now been around for several years and have released basically 4 albums. It's not like they're just starting out. They've been touring and supporting other bands with similar music style and they still haven't really caught on. Heck, Red Hands is probably the most radio friendly song they've ever done (and one of their best songs) and that didn't really get them anywhere.

Like I said, I hope you're right. I would love to see TDH get the recognition they deserve. Or at least get to the point where they have enough of a fanbase to actually make some money. I just don't see it happening unfortunately. Their music is just not quite indie, not quite prog, not quite anything. All of us here love them for that, but it makes it hard to really break through in any particular crowd.

I hear what you're saying, but if there's a time for them to break, I think it's now.  While they have been around for a few years, it really hasn't been THAT long, and I feel like the Acts stuff, while stellar in quality, is probably a little overwhelming for the average listener.  The Color Spectrum is an entirely different world, and imo is the sort of thing that's FAR more likely to appeal to a much wider audience.  It's so diverse that there's pretty much something for everyone, and there are a lot of great tracks that have that "single" quality.  While Red Hands is a great, catchy song, I feel like it's not as immediately accessible as some of the colors stuff.  But there are tons of songs on the Color Spectrum that I could very easily see becoming instantly popular.  (E.g., "The Canopy"; "Stuck On A Wire, Out On A Fence", "Misplaced Devotion", "The Inheritance", etc...)

I've been handing out in turntable.fm trying to play some of these tunes in "indie" rooms and I've been getting a really positive response so far.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 08:17:47 AM by ZeppelinDT »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1168 on: June 23, 2011, 08:20:28 AM »
Combine that with maybe a spot on Jimmy Fallon and BAM.

Interesting that you say that.  On the Dear Hunter forum we're actually right in the middle of putting together a campaign to get TDH on Fallon.  We've already mentioned it to Casey and at the moment we're just waiting on a response from their booking agent to put together a practical strategy.  There's already a small FB group up and running for it too.  We're hoping to hear back soon so we can take it to the next step.

I hear what you're saying, but if there's a time for them to break, I think it's now.  While they have been around for a few years, it really hasn't been THAT long, and I feel like the Acts stuff, while stellar in quality, is probably a little overwhelming for the average listener.  The Color Spectrum is an entirely different world, and imo is the sort of thing that's FAR more likely to appeal to a much wider audience.  It's so diverse that there's pretty much something for everyone, and there are a lot of great tracks that have that "single" quality.  While Red Hands is a great, catchy song, I feel like it's not as immediately accessible as some of the colors stuff.  But there are tons of songs on the Color Spectrum that I could very easily see becoming instantly popular.  (E.g., "The Canopy"; "Stuck On A Wire, Out On A Fence", "Misplaced Devotion", "The Inheritance", etc...)

I've been handing out in turntable.fm trying to play some of these tunes in "indie" rooms and I've been getting a really positive response so far.

:omg: LINK PLZ!
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1169 on: June 23, 2011, 08:29:41 AM »
The Color Spectrum is an entirely different world, and imo is the sort of thing that's FAR more likely to appeal to a much wider audience.
I agree that it's diverse, but it's also 36 freaking tracks! That's awesome for TDH lovers like us, but can be very daunting for new fans. Hopefully people will hear samples of one of the colors they like and pick up the rest from that color, then expand into the other stuff. I'm not sure I'd agree that it's more accessible than the Acts (certain tracks maybe, but a 9 EP set will rarely be as accessible as a single album or EP), but it doesn't really matter.

I agree that getting exposure from Fallon or a similar type of show would be great. TDH deserves all the success in the world and I hope they get it! They are a freaking amazing band.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1170 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:01 AM »

I keep getting emails telling me you've entered indie rooms. Normally I'd look for a way to stop getting so many emails, but the names of some of those rooms are enough to make me keep wanting to receive them.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1171 on: June 23, 2011, 08:35:12 AM »
The Color Spectrum is an entirely different world, and imo is the sort of thing that's FAR more likely to appeal to a much wider audience.
I agree that it's diverse, but it's also 36 freaking tracks! That's awesome for TDH lovers like us, but can be very daunting for new fans. Hopefully people will hear samples of one of the colors they like and pick up the rest from that color, then expand into the other stuff. I'm not sure I'd agree that it's more accessible than the Acts (certain tracks maybe, but a 9 EP set will rarely be as accessible as a single album or EP), but it doesn't really matter.

I agree that getting exposure from Fallon or a similar type of show would be great. TDH deserves all the success in the world and I hope they get it! They are a freaking amazing band.

No it's non-conformist.  The hipsters will love it.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #1172 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
I haven't done this song-by-song yet, but I hear some Weezer and Nirvana influence somewhere on Red and some Incubus/Hoobastank on Orange.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1173 on: June 23, 2011, 08:58:01 AM »
:omg: LINK PLZ!

www.turntable.fm

It's still invite-only, so you can only get in if you either have an invite, or have a facebook friend who's gotten an invite.  I'm only in because somebody I know on fb got in, but hopefully I'll have my own invite soon enough.

Well, my point is really more that it's accessible on a song level.  There are TONS of great individual songs that are immediately catchy and a bit more straightforward.  And that are standalone tracks that work perfectly well without any context.

And yeah, I guess if you look at it as one giant 36-song collection, it's overwhelming.  But I think they did it in a way that will let people look it at as nine individual EP's, where you can just enjoy it on a song or single EP level, and then if you want to go deeper, you can immerse yourself in the full project.  Maybe it's just my skewed perspective, but I've always thought of the "Acts" stuff as the sort of the thing that your really need to approach as a whole, whereas with The Color Spectrum I feel like there's a lot more room for breaking it down and separating it.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1174 on: June 23, 2011, 09:08:59 AM »
Maybe it's just my skewed perspective, but I've always thought of the "Acts" stuff as the sort of the thing that your really need to approach as a whole, whereas with The Color Spectrum I feel like there's a lot more room for breaking it down and separating it.
I can buy that.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1175 on: June 23, 2011, 11:21:24 AM »
Everyone who I've let hear "the Canopy" has loved every second of it, so I'm certain it would appeal to a lot of people. That song isn't very representative of TDH's sound, though, (other than the Green EP itself,) so that might confuse people who look the band up who are expecting a more "folky" sound.

Overall, I find the Color Spectrum to be right on par with the Acts, at least for me. It has so much diversity and appeal that I don't have to listen from the first track to the last and can just pick a song that I'm in the mood for. It's just a good, good album.

Offline Chzn8r

« Reply #1176 on: June 23, 2011, 11:52:18 AM »

I'd like to counter this with: of Montreal

That band started in the 1990s and released 8 albums, many of them stuffed to the brim with catchy, upbeat pop rock that was very accessible, before finally scoring some buzz after the release of their 9th album Hissing Fauna in 2007. After some successful touring, promotion, etc... they are now big enough to play 1,000-2,000 person theaters around the country and do so twice a year. Animal Collective was another band with a late-career boom, and 2 years ago they played a big stage at Lollapalooza.

So it can happen. I'm not saying TCS as it is has the potential to be a big smash of an album - honestly, nobody but die-hard fans will listen to 36 songs and you're absolutely right - but if they can at least get on people's radars, then their next proper 1 CD release could be their breakout album.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1177 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:41 PM »
^^  Another good example = The Avett Brothers

They didn't break until 9 years and 10 albums into their career.  Now they're suddenly selling out Radio City Music Hall.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: June 23, 2011, 03:53:54 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1179 on: June 23, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »
:lol That is amazing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Chzn8r

« Reply #1180 on: June 23, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
Fabulous.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1181 on: June 23, 2011, 06:38:15 PM »
So I just ordered the vinyl boxset

RIP bank account

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1182 on: June 23, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
A wise decision.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1183 on: June 23, 2011, 06:42:04 PM »
I can live with sucking dicks for the next two months if I can listen to "Filth and Squalor" over and over and over and over and...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1184 on: June 23, 2011, 06:47:07 PM »
I can live with sucking dicks for the next two months if I can listen to "Filth and Squalor" over and over and over and over and...

Good, drop down and I'll give you 10.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1185 on: June 23, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
You have 10 dicks?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1186 on: June 23, 2011, 06:59:44 PM »
One for each of your fingers

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #1187 on: June 23, 2011, 09:57:58 PM »
the recent goings on in this thread have scarred me

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:51 PM »
the recent goings on in this thread have turned me on
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1189 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:58 PM »
lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."