Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352492 times)

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #455 on: December 27, 2010, 11:51:17 AM »
Act I is the best eva

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #456 on: December 27, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
They're all the best eva

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #457 on: December 27, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
I've never once tried comparing them.  They feel too much like a whole piece.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #458 on: December 27, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »
I would actually recommend "The Lake and The River".  It's probably their "proggiest" song, and it kind of contains a little bit of everything that The Dear Hunter is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErrXdGuvS0

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: December 27, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »
Ahh so many suggestions.

Thanks guys. Later today I'll listen to all of them and let you know what I think.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #460 on: December 27, 2010, 09:30:49 PM »
edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkqHI37wcpY
here's one of Casey's recent tour videos with a song from British band Early Ghost. Really good tune, that almost sounds like Calexico at times.

I wonder if any of that footage is from the show ZeppelinDT hosted.

new interview..not a ton of new info, only that the Eps are looking like Late Spring of course, and a word or two about TREOS and The River Empires along with this Aussie band RuinGloria who I have on right now; who sound like many other post-hardcore bands. But maybe the stuff on their myspace Casey wasn't involved with.

https://muzikdizcovery.blogspot.com/2010/12/casey-crescenzo-from-dear-hunter-has.html

Interview With Casey Crescenzo (The Dear Hunter, TREOS)
Casey Crescenzo from The Dear Hunter has agreed to take a few questions with me about topics such as the TREOS re-release, the future of TREOS, the background of The Dear Hunter's albums' stories, the color spectrum, and upcoming touring. Read it after the jump.

TREOS just re-released Between The Heart and Synapse with a new song that included you. I’m guessing you’re still close with the guys. How did this all come about?

Basically the idea was kicking around for a long time about making new music together. Actually when the original breakup happened- when I was invited to play their last show together, we all reconnected in a big way, and I couldn't really keep my mouth shut about making new music together in any facet.

Are there any plans of future TREOS releases, or was this a one time thing?

I think this is kind of a one time thing.  We all felt the same way, that we wanted to work together, but every time that we do something like this- or a show together, there is the gap of time in between where we live life pretty removed from each other.  So when we reconnect we have so many unique experiences that we do not share that the feeling of being a group, or a band, is less and less, understandably. That isn’t to say that the experience is any less enjoyable or anything, just that people focus more and more on their lives as time goes on and the thought of continuing anything related to TREOS gets pushed further into the backs of our minds. Personally I am just grateful I was asked to be a part of it, and while I could sit in a room for years with those guys and make music we loved, I understand some things have to end after a while.

Are there still plans on finishing all six acts of The Dear Hunter’s series?

Yes and no. There is no set in stone plan at the moment as far as a timeline... just a rough plan that I want to finish it.

How did you think of the entire story? Did you base it off of any experiences or was it pure imagination?

The story spawned out of a personal experience, and the first few records were very personal. It wasn't that I dated a prostitute, or that my mother was a prostitute, but I found that the story was a really therapeutic way for me to get through some things. From there it really became more about telling the story and pulling from my life here and there. But at a certain point it really was about just telling a story. If I continued to try and force in my personal experience, or limit it to my personal experiences then I think the story would suffer, and with this project it was about writing a good story.

I know you have done quite a bit of producing as well, including for the excellent band The River Empires. How do you choose the production you do? Do these bands come to you, or do you pick them out and offer to produce their records?

I’m not really confident enough to seek out bands to produce, but from time to time I’ll get a good amount of interest and if I enjoy what the band is trying to do, and I feel that I can be a positive element in what they are creating, then I will do my best to make it happen. That being said, production is something that I love, and I hope to do it more and more.

Are there any bands that you have produced that people just need to know?

Well I think that TRE and Falling Up are two bands that are really wonderful- mostly the brainchildren of Jessy Ribordy.  But also I worked with a band recently called RuinGloria from Australia that were a good lot of fun, playing some great rock music.

So, the upcoming color series. When are we expecting to see them out in the public?

I would say that May/June is the safe bet for a release. It is getting pushed back a little bit because some of the collaborations have taken a little more time to pan out.

Each of the EPs are supposed to “feel” like their colors. Can you give us a few examples of what some of the colors are going to “feel” like?

Well first that is not really the case. Each of the EPs are supposed to represent what those colors feel like to me.  To try and represent what a color feels like to everyone would be pretty futile. Red is going to mean an infinite amount of things to everyone. Some people just think anger. And I have what I feel. So I am operating on that tangent.

There had been news earlier that there was a plan of a split with The Felix Culpa. Is that still in the works?

I am just focused 100% on the color spectrum right now, and as far as the split goes it is something that I am excited to do when the time presents itself... but like I said, my focus is completely on what I am doing at the moment.

Are there any touring plans for the future?

There is the plan to tour but no real specifics.  I know that I want to support this release in a big way, but I have to finish the records before I can promote them.  I am super excited to play this stuff live.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 09:50:13 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #461 on: December 28, 2010, 08:26:53 AM »

I wonder if any of that footage is from the show ZeppelinDT hosted.

Nope.  I haven't sent him any of the footage from that show yet.  I got the video like two days later, but one of the files was corrupted, so I was waiting to get the missing file before sending it all to him.  I just got it yesterday and e-mailed him last night for an address to send it to.

For the other 7 shows, he brought along his photographer, Gary, who is the one who shot all the video you see in those clips.  By the time he did the show at my place though, his photographer had gone back to California because he needed to go to a hospital there for some reason (actually, one of the reasons the show at my place had to be postponed was because Casey needed to drive Gary to the airport so he could get back to Cali).

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #462 on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:03 PM »
Quote from: The River Empires Facebook

Just finished tracking some mandolin for The Dear Hunter's color EP Green. I think their new color albums will change your life (for the better, that is).

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #463 on: January 08, 2011, 11:54:16 PM »
:caffeine:
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: January 13, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Ahh so many suggestions.

Thanks guys. Later today I'll listen to all of them and let you know what I think.

Yeah so I actually did listen to some of the suggestions, I just forgot to post in the thread again...

Anywayz, I procured a copy of Act II yesterday. About to listen to it.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #465 on: January 15, 2011, 12:08:38 AM »

You paid for the whole seat, but you'll only need... the EDGE!

Online SoundscapeMN

Offline aparadoxindeed

• Guitarist, Songwriter, All-Around Music Nerd
« Reply #467 on: January 30, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »

You paid for the whole seat, but you'll only need... the EDGE!

:laugh: So true!

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #468 on: February 15, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
Act I has actually sort of become my favorite album of theirs, at least for a while.  It has that nostalgic effect. 

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #469 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
For me it changes between I and II. I know III is probably the most well liked around here and I still think it's a superb album, but Act I has that simplicity that I love. City Escape and The Inquiry of Ms. Terri are two of my favorite songs ever, and the rest of them are rock solid. Act II is great and also has a lot of outstanding songs but it also has one or two not-so-great songs that drag it down a bit for me.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: February 24, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
They aren't actually releasing them all on CD? That's pretty stupid.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #472 on: February 24, 2011, 03:02:19 PM »
It makes sense for a band of their (relatively limited) stature.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #473 on: February 24, 2011, 03:28:26 PM »
Well, except that they're releasing a vinyl boxset for sale through their own site, so why not do that with CDs as well? Seems a bit of a strange decision.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: February 24, 2011, 05:47:52 PM »
Well, except that they're releasing a vinyl boxset for sale through their own site, so why not do that with CDs as well? Seems a bit of a strange decision.

Yeah, if they can release the whole set on Vinyl they should have no problem doing it on CD too. You can't even buy them individually!  >:(
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »

Yeah, if they can release the whole set on Vinyl they should have no problem doing it on CD too. You can't even buy them individually!  >:(

You can buy them digitally...

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2011, 08:56:40 PM »
I thought it was pretty obvious from the start that they would be primarily for download.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #477 on: February 25, 2011, 11:47:30 AM »

Once again, it makes sense. Presumably people who would buy the CDs are buying them for the artwork/physical aspect of things. Selling the vinyls only + digital download covers the art aspect of things, and assuming they give lossless downloads the quality of the CD is still preserved. All while saving on manufacturing costs by only printing one format for an already limited release set.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: February 25, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »
You and your logic need to GTFO.

You can buy them digitally...

I know, and that's probably how I'll end up getting them. But that wasn't my point.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #479 on: February 25, 2011, 04:35:10 PM »
Once again, it makes sense. Presumably people who would buy the CDs are buying them for the artwork/physical aspect of things. Selling the vinyls only + digital download covers the art aspect of things, and assuming they give lossless downloads the quality of the CD is still preserved. All while saving on manufacturing costs by only printing one format for an already limited release set.
If it's all about saving costs then why are they bothering with both a CD and vinyl of the excerpts? That sort of things is only really for casual fans who don't need all the songs, and they're not well-known enough to really have any casual fans.

If it had ONLY been digital download, that I would have understood. But to release all these different versions and none of them be a complete CD collection is simply bizarre.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #480 on: February 25, 2011, 06:05:34 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me.  CDs are dying.  Soon they'll be gone forever.  I really can't imagine the 9-CD set would sell all that well.  Most people would probably just get the digital versions, especially since I'm sure they'd be way cheaper, and the vast majority of people who buy CDs just end up ripping them to digital and listening that way anyway.  Plus, to make a 9-CD set where each CD has 4 songs doesn't really make a whole lot of sense.  And I would imagine that it's expense to press a 9-CD set, and the price tag would probably be pretty high too.  And most of the fans who are willing to spend that much money would probably opt for the vinyl set instead, especially since it comes with a digital download card.

I think the idea behind the CD is more so they have something relatively reasonably priced that they can sell at shows and it would serve as a good introduction to the band for people who aren't that familiar with them and want to check them out, but don't feel like dropping a ton of money on a 9-disc set.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: February 25, 2011, 06:11:41 PM »
They could do what Thrice did with the Alchemy Index and put two or three on each CD.  I mean, I can understand why they'd do it, but for those of us who want a physical product but can't afford a 9 vinyl box set, we get kind of screwed, but I'll be fine with downloading it, I guess.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #482 on: February 25, 2011, 06:15:20 PM »
I guess, but I would imagine a 9-CD set wouldn't exactly be cheap either.  (Also - my copy of Alchemy Index is four discs - there's a version where they're combined?  I wasn't aware of that).

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: February 25, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »
I thought the first two parts were on one CD and the other two parts were on another?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #484 on: February 25, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
They could do what Thrice did with the Alchemy Index and put two or three on each CD.  I mean, I can understand why they'd do it, but for those of us who want a physical product but can't afford a 9 vinyl box set, we get kind of screwed, but I'll be fine with downloading it, I guess.
For me it has nothing to do with affording the vinyl box set, and everything to do with the fact that I have no way of playing vinyl discs, which I would have thought is the case for a lot of people. Something like the Alchemy Index is a good idea, just have 3 per disc or something, so only 3 discs required (EDIT: ah, well, my copies haven't arrived yet, so I'm not sure. Either way, Matt's idea is a good one!). The cost of making the physical discs is piddly anyway, and if they are just selling direct (and charging delivery costs) like with the vinyl then there are no distribution costs.

And I completely disagree that CDs are dying.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #485 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:31 PM »
I thought the first two parts were on one CD and the other two parts were on another?

Mine are two double CDs, so they're sold as one product, but contain two discs.  (Maybe that's what you meant and I just misunderstood?)

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #486 on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:04 PM »
The alchemy index was released as a disc for each element and in separate years as separate products.

Product 1 - Fire & Water (2007) with a disc for each element.

Product 2 - Air & Earth (2008) with a disc for each element.

I think this was a really good idea of handling the ep's.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:37 PM »
Oooooh, I thought it would have been one disc for each half.  Considering each EP is about 30 minutes it would seem like a waste to have one disc per element. 

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2011, 01:10:26 AM »
I agree. It would be a lot more costly for them too. I guess they really wanted the albums to have their own identity.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #489 on: February 26, 2011, 11:44:57 AM »
I've been listening to a good bit of these guys' songs on Youtube recently, and I'm really liking what I hear. What album should I listen to in full first, though? Or should I just go in order from Act I, to II, and III?