Author Topic: Wall Street Protests  (Read 74411 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Wall Street Protests
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2011, 10:49:46 PM »

Some people should back to smoking weed and producing nothing for society like they usually do; .

A really good friend of mine (hes 21) smoke weed a good 6+ times a day. He has interned at NASA and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He's now full time at Space X making 82,000 a year.... Just say'n

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #351 on: October 08, 2011, 07:13:06 AM »
How the fuck did he pass a drug test to work at nasa?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #352 on: October 08, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »
I think the point is actually that statement backwards: JP Morgan is trying to cover their own ass and so they're buying out police.  I know my rephrasal probably doesn't make much difference but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Don't you think that maybe they donated that money before all this started?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #353 on: October 08, 2011, 09:54:50 AM »
edit: nevermind
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #354 on: October 08, 2011, 11:19:44 AM »
I think the point is actually that statement backwards: JP Morgan is trying to cover their own ass and so they're buying out police.  I know my rephrasal probably doesn't make much difference but I hope you understand what I'm getting at.

Don't you think that maybe they donated that money before all this started?

How should I know?  What does recently mean anyway?  The last month?  The last few weeks?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: October 08, 2011, 11:24:14 AM »
By the way, the taxpayers are going to be feeling these protests.  That's right.  The very people protesting are just causing more economic problems.  Over 2 million dollars in overtime salary for the cops to watch over these kids has been paid out so far. 

I would normally not have a problem with this, but there is little legitimacy to these protests.  If they could get their shit together and actually do something worthwhile it would be fine to spend some money to watch over these protests.  But as it is now, the police are just being glorified babysitters.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #356 on: October 08, 2011, 11:29:26 AM »
I would normally not have a problem with this, but there is little legitimacy to these protests.  If they could get their shit together and actually do something worthwhile it would be fine to spend some money to watch over these protests.  But as it is now, the police are just being glorified babysitters.

Right I understand, if they were Tea Partiers you might even be out there with them.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #357 on: October 08, 2011, 11:56:03 AM »

Right I understand, if they were Tea Partiers you might even be out there with them.

hahahahaha NO.  You couldn't have gotten me any more wrong there buddy.  But go ahead and keep assuming you know people.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #358 on: October 08, 2011, 12:03:00 PM »
Prove me wrong.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #359 on: October 08, 2011, 12:22:15 PM »
I agree with 7StringedBeast.  If they're gonna "protest" then make it clear what they're protesting and what they want so they're not just wasting time and money.  The Tea Party has made it clear what they wanted when they've protested in the past.  These people are just sitting in the public try to change to something but they're not saying what they want it changed too in a unified voice.  If they have made a clear message, I'd like to know what it is.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #360 on: October 08, 2011, 12:35:05 PM »
I think the message is pretty clear: get money out of politics. What, are they supposed to draft up a complete policy solution for the White House to enact? That's the government's job, not ours.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »
I think the message is pretty clear: get money out of politics. What, are they supposed to draft up a complete policy solution for the White House to enact? That's the government's job, not ours.

Is that really their aim?  I don't know about you but I physically went down there myself.  I saw for myself what is going on.  Like I already stated there are too many messages floating around there.  Everyone is there for a different reason.  There is no unity in message.  So it looks like everyone is just bitching about everything. 

Also, I'm not a conservative.  I don't like the Tea Party.  I'm not a liberal either.  I don't just stick with any one way of viewing things.  I know that our system is fucked up and needs some changing.  But the people down in Wall Street are not identifying with the way I look at stuff. 

All I can say is go there and see it for yourself.  It's a mess and a joke.  It's more of a woodstock hang out than a protest of any significance.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

Is that really their aim?  I don't know about you but I physically went down there myself.  I saw for myself what is going on.  Like I already stated there are too many messages floating around there.  Everyone is there for a different reason.  There is no unity in message.  So it looks like everyone is just bitching about everything. 

Also, I'm not a conservative.  I don't like the Tea Party.  I'm not a liberal either.  I don't just stick with any one way of viewing things.  I know that our system is fucked up and needs some changing.  But the people down in Wall Street are not identifying with the way I look at stuff. 

All I can say is go there and see it for yourself.  It's a mess and a joke.  It's more of a woodstock hang out than a protest of any significance.

I haven't been but I'm down with that. Why should there be one message? Isn't the problem with the country today that there are so many issues to address and no one is doing anything about them?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2011, 01:08:16 PM »
Organization is everything when trying to get something accomplished.  Right now they just look like a bunch of hippy kids bitching about everything and that the world isn't fair.  The impression you get by going down there is that these kids are pissed that their Art majors aren't making them big bucks, like they never heard the term "starving artist" before.  On top of that there are just too many philosophies and no unified voice going on. 

They aren't doing anything but being annoying to the people of New York at the moment.  Costing the city millions now.  They still have not accomplished anything.

Also, last I checked Obama is trying to pass Wall Street reformations.  So people are trying to get something done. 

It's not the big banks fault.  It's not the top 1% fault.  It's our policy makers in Washington's fault and the fact that people spent more money than they had.  There are a lot of people to blame for the mess we are in.  Shouting about how the top 1% are really rich isn't going to solve anything.  Most of the people in that top 1% earned their money somehow. 

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #364 on: October 08, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »
lol

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/wall-street-protest-functions-like-a-city-within-the-city-what-democracy-really-looks-like/2011/10/07/gIQA2O9dTL_story.html

But the owner of Zuccotti Park, developer Brookfield Office Properties, is unhappy with the occupation that began Sept. 17.

“Sanitation is a growing concern,” Brookfield said in a statement Thursday. “Normally, the park is cleaned and inspected every weeknight. This process includes power washing, litter removal, landscaping and other maintenance as required. Because many of the protesters refuse to cooperate by adhering to the rules, the park has not been cleaned since Friday, September 16, and as a result, sanitary conditions have reached unacceptable levels.”

So much for the jobs of those people who clean the park every weeknight.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Some people should back to smoking weed and producing nothing for society like they usually do

Way ahead of you, buddy.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »
There were a few people protesting in Blacksburg yesterday.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: October 08, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »
There were a few people protesting in Blacksburg yesterday.

You live in Blacksburg VA?  I was just there a month ago.  I got family and a friend down there.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #368 on: October 08, 2011, 07:10:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm a student.

Pretty sure NASA doesn't require drug tests.  I interned there two summers ago.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #369 on: October 09, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »
Also, last I checked Obama is trying to pass Wall Street reformations.  So people are trying to get something done. 

It's not the big banks fault.  It's not the top 1% fault.  It's our policy makers in Washington's fault and the fact that people spent more money than they had.  There are a lot of people to blame for the mess we are in.  Shouting about how the top 1% are really rich isn't going to solve anything.  Most of the people in that top 1% earned their money somehow.

See here you're contradicting yourself.  Are policymakers and Washington getting things done or not?

The problem is income and economic inequality, and even if it's not their fault, the effect has been political inequality.  You may have seen more with your own eyes than me, but that doesn't mean you understand them or their movement that well. Remember how you were accusing me of being presumptuous?

Anyway: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/09/opinion/sunday/protesters-against-wall-street.html

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: October 09, 2011, 10:36:10 AM »
How exactly am I contradicting myself?  I never said I didn't want things to change.  I also haven't been presumptuous.  I don't understand you're complete faith in this movement and why you think "Wall Street" is so evil.  If anything for this gap in pay between the very rich and middle class, it has more to do with companies policies on how they pay their employees.  Corporate greed does not = Wall Street.  A CEO chooses not to give raises to his workers but takes a huge bonus check for himself.  That really doesn't have anything to do with Wall Street.

I mean, why doesn't anyone complain about sports stars making millions of dollars?  Why do we only complain about bankers or wall street traders and CEOs.  All of them are making their money legitimately.  Why complain about one and not the other?  They never take pay decreases either despite rising ticket prices and falling attendance.  There are other people working for sports franchises that I'm sure could use a raise and probably haven't been getting one.

I don't think Wall Street is really the problem.  I think its our government being too influenced by any corporation that can lobby for a cause with money.  So really the protest should be in Washington.  When you just flat out start complaining about how the rich are too rich, it just sounds whiny and lazy.  It starts to come across as jealousy.  They are rich and I am not and now I'm going to be pissed about it.

I have not given up on the idea of individual drive and making things happen for yourself.  I don't rely on the government for my own personal issues.  If I need to find a job, I'm going to work my fucking ass off to find one.  That's how I have my job today.  If more people thought like that, they might not be as disillusioned.  Can't expect government to come in and fix all the problems.  But hopefully they can help.

See, I get the movement and what they are trying to do, but they aren't doing a good job.  Everyone just kinda acknowledges that yeah these people are upset, but nothing is really going to come of this, but its good to see they are voicing an opinion.  And where does that get anyone?  The protest should be in Washington, not just a hippy camp out in NYC.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #371 on: October 09, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
There is a protest in Washington. And in plenty of other cities, too.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #372 on: October 09, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
No shit.  But they should focus it in Washington and drop the whole "Occupy Wall Street" bull.  It's not getting anyone anywhere.  They aren't focused enough to make a real point beyond "We are frustrated". 

Wall Street is not the reason these dudes can't find jobs.  It's not the reason for us being in a War we can't back out of. 

It's also dubious that the protestors are pretty much 20 year old white kids.  Does anyone else find that strange at all?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2011, 01:24:50 PM »
If you've been reading any of the recent coverage from not Fox, you'd see that a large number of much older folks who are now unemployed, or who can't find relief in their current jobs, have joined up as well.

And I do think sports wages are ridiculous. But a famous sports player's wages tend not to have an appreciable effect on legislative outcomes in this country.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2011, 02:05:03 PM »
It'd be awesome if you'd formulate an argument without throwing in a condescending comment at a person. You seem so convinced that anyone not supporting this is automatically a FOX loving hardcore conservative and its getting pretty annoying to read.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #375 on: October 09, 2011, 03:30:13 PM »
Organization is everything when trying to get something accomplished.  Right now they just look like a bunch of hippy kids bitching about everything and that the world isn't fair.  The impression you get by going down there is that these kids are pissed that their Art majors aren't making them big bucks, like they never heard the term "starving artist" before.  On top of that there are just too many philosophies and no unified voice going on.

Yeah okay, I'll stop being condescending.

And to those who were condescending to me because I should apparently have known the difference between an anarchist and a libertarian, note the bottom section of the following image:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 03:48:25 PM by Super Dude »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #376 on: October 09, 2011, 03:59:22 PM »
There is a difference between his classifying of the protesters and you throwing implications directly at him. C'mon son.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: October 09, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
For the record I don't read watch or even pay attention to Fox News.  Are you going to make any more assumptions about people you don't know?  Get off your high horse, you are acting like you are the all knowing PR person.  How many more things are you going to get wrong about me?  You can't form any opinion without trying to take jabs at my character or where I get my information?  Like I said before.  At least I went down there to see this shit going on for myself on top of keeping up with it on Cnn.com. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #378 on: October 09, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
I also went there a number of times, including last night. I saw something different than your description of a stereotypical hippie gathering. Why do you have so much animosity toward these people?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: October 09, 2011, 06:08:21 PM »
I'm assuming it's because he feels that the people protesting should stop actually fighting for what they feel is right, and should just get a business degree and bend over for big business.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #380 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Meanwhile...I've thought of something.

You guys all notice that we have an 11 page thread on the subject with 380 posts and almost 3,000 views. That is on a board of a bunch of prog nerds where our numbers are low. Imagine bigger boards with more people and more views...if their goal was to spread a message and have people pay attention to them, they just won.

How does it feel to spoon feed the enemy exactly what it wants?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2011, 06:23:10 PM »
Meanwhile...I've thought of something.

You guys all notice that we have an 11 page thread on the subject with 380 posts and almost 3,000 views. That is on a board of a bunch of prog nerds where our numbers are low. Imagine bigger boards with more people and more views...if their goal was to spread a message and have people pay attention to them, they just won.

How does it feel to spoon feed the enemy exactly what it wants?

And boom goes the dynamite. ;)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2011, 06:39:22 PM »
Holy logical fallacy Numbers. Try again.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2011, 06:44:15 PM »
if their goal was to spread a message and have people pay attention to them, they just won.

That might mean something if they had a message to spread.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2011, 06:53:28 PM »

He started as an intern which they didn't test him for. He got offered a full time job and no one ever bothered to test him.