Author Topic: Wall Street Protests  (Read 73587 times)

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Wall Street Protests
« Reply #245 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
I think it's incredibly dumb that you can be old enough to serve in your country's military but not be old enough to have a drink.  Moving the voting age up would be 100x worse.

Not to mention the idea of raising the voting age while still forcing guys to register for the draft at 18.
Simple solution to both problems.... raise the draft/enlistment/voting age to 22.   Problem solved. :tup

Except you've now reduced a massive portion of the armed forces. 37% of the Marines and almost 20% of the army on active duty are between 18 and 21.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #246 on: October 04, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
I think it's incredibly dumb that you can be old enough to serve in your country's military but not be old enough to have a drink.  Moving the voting age up would be 100x worse.

Not to mention the idea of raising the voting age while still forcing guys to register for the draft at 18.
Simple solution to both problems.... raise the draft/enlistment/voting age to 22.   Problem solved. :tup

Bad idea.  A functioning military needs young, athletic, energetic personnel.  By raising the eligible age, you limit not only the size of your applicant pool, but also the number of years they can serve, since by a given age, there is generally a diminishing return the military gets from its personnel. 

I think it's incredibly dumb that you can be old enough to serve in your country's military but not be old enough to have a drink. 

I get that.  But playing devil's advocate, one could argue it this way:  Using alcohol should require a sufficient amount of judgment and maturity to make sure it is used responsibly. Being a lower ranking enlisted person in the military does NOT require judgment and maturity, but merely requires the ability to understand and follow orders.

Just sayin'.

I think judgment and maturity are two rather important factors when one is in control of a weapon or weapons system.

I personally think wielding an M4 carbine is a bigger deal than wielding a beer bottle.

Not really because, again, someone in the military is wielding a weapon under close supervision and under training and indoctrination that requires unfaltering obedience to orders.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #247 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
37% of the Marines are between awesome and amazing.

Why thank you.  :semperfi:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PraXis

« Reply #248 on: October 04, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »
I like the Swiss model. They are neutral, so they don't meddle in others' affairs, and kids have to go to the military to learn some discipline. Israel has a similar model for military enlistment too.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #249 on: October 04, 2011, 02:38:40 PM »
This thread is as random and disorganized as those zombies on Wall St.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #250 on: October 04, 2011, 02:41:29 PM »
I think the answer to any zombie attack really comes down to whether or not you have a sufficient stockpile of appropriate ammunition as well as a fortified location with limited points of access and good sight lines.  That's my take.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #251 on: October 04, 2011, 03:24:46 PM »
After thinking about people I've been around in grade school, high school, college, the professional world, the fact is that 95% of people under 25 are absolutely useless. Raising the voting age to 25 would be a great thing.
For the most part I would have to say I agree with this statement....

on that note....  :corn

I strongly disagree.  My point above was simply that anyone in or recently just out of college smug enough to think they've got politics (or anything else, for that matter) figured out is merely too shortsighted to realize how wrong they are.  The issue isn't how much they know.  The issue I have a problem with is one of ignorance about how much they don't know.  And, really, that applies to any age group.

But is raising the voting age the answer?  No way.  College kids know exponentially more about politics than high school kids, for the most part.  Just like those who are out of school and have been working for a living for 5 or more years generally know exponentially more about politics than most college kids.  That's just the nature of things.  But one of the things that gets people to learn more about the system is allowing them to be invested in it no matter their political views, which the right to vote accomplishes.

I think there is a transition point though that happens in college, as those kids begin to learn more about world and local affairs and what makes them tick (:tick2:).

...I had a point with this one...problem is I can't remember what it was. :facepalm: It was something to do with the fact that college education is the beginning of education about the world, or something like that. I dunno, I'll come back to it later.

Oh, also, I wasn't trying to imply that by the college years you've "got it all figured out," but rather that my experience with my age cohort and others below me has been that in college is when kids become a little more inquisitive about political affairs and far more likely to become interested, engaged, and involved. Which goes back to what I was saying about voting age, because I'm sure that spurs it on at least partially.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
Hey, maybe my data is skewed because my college is especially politically active. (And it may be a stupid stipulation, but it may have something to do with going to a school in the Greater Boston Area)
Being politically active in no way means a greater understanding. In fact if anything, university age students here are more idealist and naive/ignorant about how the world actually works. Most protests here in the UK suffer from the same problems that 7SB is talking about, with a total lack of focus or clarity around what is actually being protested.

And going to school in Boston, like SD, I can confirm that so many students in that city suffer the same political cluelessness as you just described. Most of the things I've witnessed there were like watching people get ideological hormones: they start to feel something but can't describe or realize it and aimlessly hump around until they've embarrassed themselves to the point where they actually begin to know better.

And then there's Lyndon LaRouche supporters.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
Pertaining to the Constitution:

I understand the amendment process. That doesn't mean that the document is constantly being rewritten; it is merely being added to. What we need is a totally different set up of government, as this one has failed us miserably.

Pertaining to PraXis:

I asked this a while ago, but I think it probably got lost in the havoc. Where did you go to school, and now, what do you consider "worthless" majors?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2011, 03:41:24 PM »
What we need is a totally different set up of government, as this one has failed us miserably.

How so?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
We have reached the limits of a capitalist system. The two party democracy leads to nothing getting done. We still have an electoral college for shit's sake! And, this government has caused America to become bloody thirsty raving maniacs.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2011, 03:48:44 PM »
Yeah, the electoral college system pretty much sucks.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
We have reached the limits of a capitalist system. The two party democracy leads to nothing getting done.  And, this government has caused America to become bloody thirsty raving maniacs.

You have sources for that?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2011, 03:53:10 PM »
Yes...America.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »

I understand the amendment process. That doesn't mean that the document is constantly being rewritten; it is merely being added to. What we need is a totally different set up of government, as this one has failed us miserably.

Pertaining to PraXis:

I asked this a while ago, but I think it probably got lost in the havoc. Where did you go to school, and now, what do you consider "worthless" majors?

I went to a technical/engineering university and my degree was sort of a techy version of a Communication degree. Communication can be bullshit unless you focus in something like PR or some kind of IT.

As for "useless" I feel you can major in whatever you want as long as you don't complain about not being able to find a job after getting that degree which the industries consider useless. When it comes to the private sector (and even the public sector unless you ignore education), useless majors are programs like art history, women's studies, african american studies, any other [insert race/culture] studies, sociology... pretty much all the fields that are only found in academics and not in a typical corporation.

https://www.collegecrunch.org/advice/the-10-most-expensive-but-useless-degrees-in-americ/

Don't get me wrong.. if I majored in art and actually knew how to paint and could sell multiple $10,000+ projects a year, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: October 04, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
Whelp, I plan on majoring in one of those so...yay on me!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #261 on: October 04, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
We have reached the limits of a capitalist system.

What does this mean?

The two party democracy leads to nothing getting done. 

Yes and no.  The system we have was deliberately meant to make sure change was slow and deliberate.  And to an extent, that is a really good thing because, while it stymies extreme short-term changes, it encourages systematic deliberate change.  Granted, however, that the two political parties and the system of having two parties that has developed through time has bogged down and hopelessly mired the system.  But how could that be averted in your opinion?

We still have an electoral college for shit's sake! 

And the problem with that is what?  You do understand the purpose of the electoral college, right?

And, this government has caused America to become bloody thirsty raving maniacs.

What does this mean?

And by the way, my questions are not meant to brush off your views.  I'm just not sure what you mean by certain statements or what your arguments are, so I'm trying to get clarification. 

Offline PraXis

« Reply #262 on: October 04, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
Whelp, I plan on majoring in one of those so...yay on me!

It's a risk, but if you really like it then go for it.. just be aware of the risks. It's even tough in fields like elec/comp/mech engineering because lots of companies outsource the entry-level work and the American jobs are usually VERY specialized and require lots of experience. I should have doubled down and gone for an MBA and then Wall Street.. I do very well now, but I'd rather earn more. :D

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #263 on: October 04, 2011, 04:29:53 PM »
Yes...America.

Eh, that's hardly a scholarly answer for such a bold claim.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2011, 04:33:43 PM »
Bosk.

1. Capitalism is what is causing the massive rich/poor gap in America. It allocates most of the country's wealth to the upper few percent, leaving the lower percent to suffer miserably.

2. Well, the problem is, we have gone so deep, it will be very difficult to get out of. The only way change can happen is if a majority of one party is in Congress at any point in time.

3. I understand the point of an electoral college. The issue is that it is outdated and useless in today's society, and if it is ever used, there would be a massive uproar and everyone would go crazy.

4. Nothing in America has ever been solved through non-violence. We have fought a war about every 20 years. We are a country with blood constantly on our hands and experiencing that causes people to think that violence is the only way to solve things. Not to take shot, but if we decided on diplomacy worked, as opposed to diplomacy coming out of the barrell of a shot gun, do you really think there would be so many PraXis...es? I think not.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2011, 04:49:31 PM »
Bosk.

1. Capitalism is what is causing the massive rich/poor gap in America. It allocates most of the country's wealth to the upper few percent, leaving the lower percent to suffer miserably.

2. Well, the problem is, we have gone so deep, it will be very difficult to get out of. The only way change can happen is if a majority of one party is in Congress at any point in time.

4. Nothing in America has ever been solved through non-violence. We have fought a war about every 20 years. We are a country with blood constantly on our hands and experiencing that causes people to think that violence is the only way to solve things. Not to take shot, but if we decided on diplomacy worked, as opposed to diplomacy coming out of the barrell of a shot gun, do you really think there would be so many PraXis...es? I think not.

1. Suffer miserably? You do know that there are programs like food stamps/Welfare/Social Security?

2. It's been that way since day #1. The John Adams mini-series from HBO covers this slightly, but there are tons of great books (that I'l have to back to you on. I have to find them in my library).

3. I omitted it because everyone knows the EC is a joke.

4. Walk softly and carry a big stick is the best diplomacy. I don't know about you, but I don't take the People's Republic of the Congo seriously at the negotiating table. I do, however, take China and Russia seriously.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2011, 04:51:38 PM »
That's my point though. Why do you take them seriously? Because there is a distinct possibility of getting your ass kicked. We need to get out of that mentality.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
@Cole:  Thanks for the response.  One thing I notice (and again, this isn't mean as taking a shot at you) is that you view your opinions as obvious absolute truths that everyone should know and agree with.  And while I hesitate to make a sweeping generalization about you when I don't even know you in real life, I strongly suspect that part of that stems from the fact that you aren't overly exposed to opposing views from any source that you would consider reasonable.  By that, I mean that in your age group, your political philosophy is the majority view and you aren't regularly exposed to others in your peer group who can rationally explain an opposing viewpoint.  Or, to be more blunt (and to unfortunately come across more condescending than I intend this to be), it is a naive set of views in that it doesn't take into account the fact that there are a LOT of people who rationally disagree.  Anyhow...

1.  Strongly disagree with this on many levels.  First, I do not believe that capitalism is a cause at all.  It is merely one of MANY systems that allow such a disparity--a disparity I must point out that exists in literally every single political system on earth that has ever existed.  Second, I disagree that the "lower percent suffer miserably."  Not that there aren't some how do.  But if you believe the poor in this country are worse off, or even comparable, to the poor in other countries, you are mistaken.  But it's hard to know and appreciate that fact if you haven't experienced poverty first hand, including poverty in other places.

2.  Maybe.  I think I partly agree.  But again, I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you are arguing.

3.  I'm not sure it's outdated.  Maybe it is, but I'm not sure.  And it is "used," but I think you mean if it is used to elect someone that does not reflect the "popular vote," that there would be massive uproar.  Yeah, there would be.  And that is one of the important checks and balances against the electoral college acting arbitrarily.

4.  Not true at all.  The vast majority of domestic political issues have been solved through nonviolence.  And as far as foreign affairs, it's a mixed bag.  There is plenty of diplomacy.  And there is plenty of...what you would refer to as "diplomacy at the barrel of a gun."  But, as with the poverty issue, that is something that is present in almost every society.  And those that are exceptions to the general rule function in a way that is so different from how the U.S. functions that I don't believe those nations can serve as viable models for how this country could run.  You may disagree with the extent of it, but that's different than arguing that we are simply a bloodthirsty nation of conquerors.  Really, I personally don't believe that is the case.  But the bottom line is that while we can disagree over the specifics, even in general, you can't say we don't use diplomacy to solve problems.  You are focusing on the conflicts vs. the vast majority of issues that are solved without conflict. 

And give PraXis a break.  His views may be out there, but he helped persuade me to look into buying firearms.  He's not all bad.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2011, 05:02:37 PM »
That's my point though. Why do you take them seriously? Because there is a distinct possibility of getting your ass kicked. We need to get out of that mentality.

I agree that it would be great if we could get out of that mentality.  But as awesome as that dream is, it simply isn't reality.  There have always been and will always be those in the world who want to do others harm.  You can't change that.  To take an extreme example on an individual level:  Take the example of a hardened, uneducated gangster who is 100% invested in the violent gangster lifestyle and literally does not care whether anyone, himself included, lives or dies, and lives his life to just to bang, to watch his gang-brothers' backs, and to have fun for a few years until he is either locked up for life or gets gunned down by a rival gang, and who does not under any circumstances intend on changing his lifestyle.  Which is the smarter approach?  To give him a key to my house, invite him inside, and naively hope he will see how cool it is to live a peaceful lifestyle and adopt my way?  Or to acknowledge that people exist who think the way he does, understand that if given access, he would harm me and my family without a second thought, and to take the necessary precautions against harm, such as keeping the doors locked and making sure I can protect myself if he creates a danger for me and my family?  The former appears on the surface to be advocating peace and harmony, but is in reality naive and self-destructive.  The latter is wise and prudent.  Now extrapolate that example out on a national level.

I'm not arguing that all U.S. policy has been good or that this analogy applies to every conflict we have ever directly or indirectly been a part of as a nation.  But it is one that I think applies despite its oversimplicity.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »

Pertaining to PraXis:

I went to a technical/engineering university and my degree was sort of a techy version of a Communication degree. Communication can be bullshit unless you focus in something like PR or some kind of IT.

As for "useless" I feel you can major in whatever you want as long as you don't complain about not being able to find a job after getting that degree which the industries consider useless. When it comes to the private sector (and even the public sector unless you ignore education), useless majors are programs like art history, women's studies, african american studies, any other [insert race/culture] studies, sociology... pretty much all the fields that are only found in academics and not in a typical corporation.

https://www.collegecrunch.org/advice/the-10-most-expensive-but-useless-degrees-in-americ/

Don't get me wrong.. if I majored in art and actually knew how to paint and could sell multiple $10,000+ projects a year, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That entire article looks about as well-researched as your typical Cracked daily.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #270 on: October 04, 2011, 05:24:10 PM »
And other flaming the person who posted the article, what purpose does your post serve?  Why does an article like that even need to be "well-researched?"  It isn't a scholarly article.  It's more or less an editorial.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: October 04, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
@Cole:  Thanks for the response.  One thing I notice (and again, this isn't mean as taking a shot at you) is that you view your opinions as obvious absolute truths that everyone should know and agree with.  And while I hesitate to make a sweeping generalization about you when I don't even know you in real life, I strongly suspect that part of that stems from the fact that you aren't overly exposed to opposing views from any source that you would consider reasonable.  By that, I mean that in your age group, your political philosophy is the majority view and you aren't regularly exposed to others in your peer group who can rationally explain an opposing viewpoint.  Or, to be more blunt (and to unfortunately come across more condescending than I intend this to be), it is a naive set of views in that it doesn't take into account the fact that there are a LOT of people who rationally disagree.  Anyhow...

I find myself both agreeing and disagreeing with this. No, I don't feel that my views express universal truth any more than you think yours do. The thing is, they are my views, so I am obviously incredibly biased toward them. I understand the opposing view; I just happen to disagree with it. Naturally, I think my views are "best" while others are...not as good. :lol This isn't meant to sound mean or anything, but if this weren't the case, they wouldn't be my views. I also understand your view that at this point in my life, I am a sheep who is following the herd that is my generation (*wicked bass solo*.) I would agree that my views are similar to many of my age who have somewhat of a decent where with all when it comes to thinking in this vain, however, many of my views differ from the norm. I understand there are a lot of people that disagree, but that doesn't make my views any less..."right?" in the sense that I feel they would work. I appreciaite the well articulated opinion though and reading it helps me interact with those who don't see my view.

1.  Strongly disagree with this on many levels.  First, I do not believe that capitalism is a cause at all.  It is merely one of MANY systems that allow such a disparity--a disparity I must point out that exists in literally every single political system on earth that has ever existed.  Second, I disagree that the "lower percent suffer miserably."  Not that there aren't some how do.  But if you believe the poor in this country are worse off, or even comparable, to the poor in other countries, you are mistaken.  But it's hard to know and appreciate that fact if you haven't experienced poverty first hand, including poverty in other places.

I agree there is a rich/poor gap in every country in the world. I just so happen to believe that in a capitalistic system, the odds of the gap being bigger are much greater. My problem with free market capitalism is that is goes against many of my moral codes. In a complete free market capitalistic society, those who can't do for whatever reason are left to suffer because of it. I'm not that naive to know that those with higher IQs will most likely make more of themselves with lower IQs but that does not mean that we should brush off the people who aren't as gifted in ability. Another thing that bothers me is the idea of the "American Dream" when it comes to capitalism. As much as right wing libratarians want to say that anyone can achieve anything with hard work, it is a fallacy. There are many mitigating factors and we can't sum up a system with "work hard and you'll do fine." Personally, I like Lenin's NEP. He had the government take control of big bussiness and industry, yet let free market capitalism reign with small stores like smoke shops, resturants, etc.

2.  Maybe.  I think I partly agree.  But again, I'm not 100% sure I understand exactly what you are arguing.

I'm not really making an argument here. I'm merely stating that this is a way the government has failed. Making it hard to do something is one thing. Making it impossible is another. Here, we have to deal with the innate selfishness of man. If people cared about their country, they would pass the bills they think would make their country better. There are democrats out there who are pro-life. There are republicans out there who are pro-gay marriage. The issue is, they won't vote the way they feel so they can continue being reelected and continue receiving lobbies and the like.

3.  I'm not sure it's outdated.  Maybe it is, but I'm not sure.  And it is "used," but I think you mean if it is used to elect someone that does not reflect the "popular vote," that there would be massive uproar.  Yeah, there would be.  And that is one of the important checks and balances against the electoral college acting arbitrarily.

You and I both agree that if the electoral college elected someone who did not win the popular (well...you get what I mean) votes, there would be chaos. You then say that our checks and balance system against them would prevent that from happening. If that's the case, what's the point?

4.  Not true at all.  The vast majority of domestic political issues have been solved through nonviolence.  And as far as foreign affairs, it's a mixed bag.  There is plenty of diplomacy.  And there is plenty of...what you would refer to as "diplomacy at the barrel of a gun."  But, as with the poverty issue, that is something that is present in almost every society.  And those that are exceptions to the general rule function in a way that is so different from how the U.S. functions that I don't believe those nations can serve as viable models for how this country could run.  You may disagree with the extent of it, but that's different than arguing that we are simply a bloodthirsty nation of conquerors.  Really, I personally don't believe that is the case.  But the bottom line is that while we can disagree over the specifics, even in general, you can't say we don't use diplomacy to solve problems.  You are focusing on the conflicts vs. the vast majority of issues that are solved without conflict. 

Explain to me that if we did not have this violent nature (you could even call it a MIC, tying it back to a capitalistic system) why is it that we have been around as a country for less than 240 years, yet we have participated in as many wars as we have? Maybe it's just the people I'm around, but I've become increasingly cynical and jaded over the "We need to fight for democracy" people. I constantly talk to a friend of mine who is of the opinion that "If men did not have the courage to fight a war, we wouldn't be here today." This...is true. Why I think it's true and why he thinks it's true are completely different, however. To me, if there was no war, well...I don't know what it would be like. It wouldn't be this. Now, I'm not saying that this is all bad, but I'm saying something needs to be done. Since the cavemen, we have settled our problems using violence, and because of the amazing thing called Darwinian evolution, that has been injected into our genes. I am not so naive to think I can change human nature. All I want, is to try to get people to understand that their impulses might not be the best thing to follow. If we start thinking non-violently, down the road, we will become non-violent.

It is nice to have a real conversation with you by the way.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #272 on: October 04, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
My fiancée is an art therapy major  :lol

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: October 04, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
About the article, it was obviously not meant to be for real. It was a tad insulting of the philosophy majors though, so that wasn't cool.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: October 04, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
I was really surprised the music theory wasn't on that list. All you can do with that is...teach music theory. And the only way you'll get hired to do that is if you have a doctorate.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #275 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:34 PM »
My girlfriend is also an art therapy major, already has a job lined up for her after graduation.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #276 on: October 04, 2011, 06:04:48 PM »
Lucky. What exactly does one do with that major?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #277 on: October 04, 2011, 06:36:53 PM »
Oddly enough, something that has everything to do with art, very little to do with therapy. :P She's looking at a possible entry-level in the "Art Direction" department of some company. I'm sorta scant on the details, but in my imagination it means being like Creative on Mad Men. :metal

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: October 04, 2011, 07:17:24 PM »
And I'm the one, according to The Simpsons, that chose poorly: Literature Major... Yay me!!! Better finish that Walter Benjamin book because it sure is going to bring me food in the future. Tomorrow I have my Masters interview (I'm really nervous, though I'm positive of the outcome). And in December there will be an exam to see if my Uni will pay me my Masters AND hires me to teach at Uni (paying me for that as well).

So basically, it all depends on how you plan your future.

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #279 on: October 04, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
So, I really want to teach music at a high school level, but I know it could easily be really hard to find an opening for that.

Would it be safe enough to be willing to teach a normal person subject, as a backup plan?