Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461329 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #3115 on: October 19, 2015, 10:05:25 PM »
Took me two hours to secure my tickets. Had to get a later showing but it's still opening day, Thursday.

Also, I posted this on Facebook. What are your thoughts?

Prediction time.

Star Wars is opening on 4500 screens on December 17th. Of the two theaters I've checked, they had 35 to 45 opening showtimes on that day. Let's account for smaller theaters and assume the nationwide average is 30 showtimes on Thursday. Theaters hold anywhere from 50 to 200 people, so we'll assume, on average, that there are 100 people per showing. At 10 dollars per ticket, with all Thursday showings sold out, that's an easy 135 million. And that's just Thursday, not even the whole weekend.
Jurassic World currently holds the weekend record at $208,806,270 domestically, so I'm gonna bet Star Wars hits 300 million its opening weekend in the States and the worldwide totals will hit a billion by its second weekend.

I'm interested to look back on this two months from now and see how far off I am.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #3117 on: October 20, 2015, 02:24:38 AM »
Aside from the nostalgia factor with Han and the Falcon I thought it was just a very generic scifi-action trailer and a pretty boring one too. :\
But it's named Star Wars, so the hype train will go on at full speed.

It reminds me of playing the Battlefront beta and I'm sure the movie will be the same: The ingredients may be right there but after a short while of pew pew fun its lack of feel and depth and character will become apparent and leave a bitter taste of hollow emptiness.

At least one can't say Jar Jar Abrams killed both Trek and Wars within one decade: With Star Wars the creator himself accomplished that with the prequels before Abrams could fuck it up even more. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3118 on: October 20, 2015, 02:29:19 AM »
Keep in mind trailers are edited for maximum effect to bring in the masses, so it's going to be the pew pew stuff. Whether or not the movie will live up to expectations remains to be seen yet. For a start, this trailer doesn't even show Luke, and we only got a glimpse of him in previous teasers, so they're probably holding back a lot of the juicier stuff and vital story points.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3119 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:28 AM »

At least one can't say Jar Jar Abrams killed both Trek and Wars within one decade: With Star Wars the creator himself accomplished that with the prequels before Abrams could fuck it up even more. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

First shot needs to be Binks in Carbonite with the most agonized look on his face - slowly drifting in deep, deep deep space :)

And yeah - people may have trampled over Star Trek Into Darkness but it was still a well made movie with good acting and set pieces. The Star Wars prequels were just bad on every level.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3120 on: October 20, 2015, 05:28:27 AM »
Kinda agree with Nef on this.  I'm super stoked for this, but the trailer doesn't change my level of excitement much.  The dogfight with the Millenium Falcon was pretty good.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3121 on: October 20, 2015, 05:30:55 AM »
I'm not even a Star Wars fan and I think it looks good.

I'll go and see it.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3122 on: October 20, 2015, 05:55:56 AM »
So the theory that Luke is Kylo Ren ?

Why would they choose someone who is 6 ft 2 to play Kylo Ren when Mark Hamill is 5 ft 7 ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3123 on: October 20, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »

Why would they choose someone who is 6 ft 2 to play Kylo Ren when Mark Hamill is 5 ft 7 ?

From what I've heard, Luke is in hiding and isn't seen a lot in this movie. I haven't read anything solid about him being Kylo Ren, although knowing JJ they're probably trying to lead people on to think it's an option.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3124 on: October 20, 2015, 06:46:27 AM »
I don't think there is any question that this going to be the biggest movie of all time. It's a perfect storm of nostalgia and hype. I can't think of another movie or franchise that could generate the atmosphere created by The Force Awakens.

I still super excited and have more questions than ever before. I'm not planning on going the first couple of days just because of the crowds but I work right across the street from a movie theater so I may be taking an extended lunch the following Monday.

As for Luke being Kylo Ren, I'm 99% sure that's not true. I'm curious to see who he his and what his back story is. Honestly, I think there is a better chance that he is Darth Maul.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3125 on: October 20, 2015, 08:44:42 AM »
No.

BTW, that trailer rocked my face.  Can't wait for this one.

Yes, I think it will crush any records for opening weekend for sure, and Avatar's record for total haul might be in trouble too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3126 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:13 AM »
Ugh, Kylo Ren is not Luke.

I mean, look at him. It's more likely that he's Khan.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3127 on: October 20, 2015, 09:33:44 AM »
I ended up getting tickets to opening night and will also be going the following day with my team from work! There are going to be around 50-60 showing on opening night in the Omaha area so I'd be shocked if they all get sold out.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3128 on: October 20, 2015, 09:35:06 AM »
There are going to be around 50-60 showing on opening night in the Omaha area so I'd be shocked if they all get sold out.
I wouldn't. The only seats left at my (huge) theater are the occasional shitty front row seats.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #3129 on: October 20, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Looks like they are going for that Hunger Games crowd.

Pass.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3130 on: October 20, 2015, 10:02:29 AM »
No.

I didn't for one minute think that it would be - as explained in my very next sentence.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3131 on: October 20, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
Looks like they are going for that Hunger Games crowd.

Pass.

You are so silly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3132 on: October 20, 2015, 11:28:40 AM »
There are going to be around 50-60 showing on opening night in the Omaha area so I'd be shocked if they all get sold out.
I wouldn't. The only seats left at my (huge) theater are the occasional shitty front row seats.

The tickets I ordered aren't assigned. I'm surprised a movie theater would sell assigned tickets.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3133 on: October 20, 2015, 11:31:50 AM »
and Avatar's record for total haul might be in trouble too. will be surpassed in record time

fix'd that for ya'  :lol   I don't see any scenario where this movie doesn't crush Avatars record.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3134 on: October 20, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »
and Avatar's record for total haul might be in trouble too. will be surpassed in record time

fix'd that for ya'  :lol   I don't see any scenario where this movie doesn't crush Avatars record.

Because Three Billion Dollars is an insane amount of money. I'm not saying it won't happen but it's a huge ask.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3135 on: October 20, 2015, 11:41:45 AM »

The tickets I ordered aren't assigned. I'm surprised a movie theater would sell assigned tickets.
More and more theaters are doing it these days. All the theaters in my area started doing it over the past couple of years, after they renovated to have reclining leather seats.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3136 on: October 20, 2015, 11:59:20 AM »
Pretty great trailer! I'm not sure what people were expecting. It's Star Wars, it's a continuation, it's a trailer. With the way some comments are worded here, you'd have thought they were seeing the entire film and know now everything:lol Like I said before, I'm not huge into Star Wars and I didn't have an orgasm over it, but it certainly looks better than your run-of-the-mill sci/fi or action flick from what was shown. I thought the trailer itself was good in that it seems to not have spoiled anything big but expanded on things that almost everyone knew or speculated immensely on (Kylo and Finn fighting in the snowy forest) and built up some other factors whilst showing very brief scenes (Leia and Han's (I think) embrace, aw!). Good trailer! I probably won't see it in theaters is my bet, but maybe. I'm honestly more excited to see the numbers than I am the actual movie.  :rollin This thing is going to blow the fuck up no matter what anyone says about it, that's the crazy thing.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3137 on: October 20, 2015, 12:01:23 PM »
Tickets purchased, midnight showing. I'm so hard right now....

Speculation, it sounds from the trailer like a good deal of time has passed, enough to have faded the memory of the Jedi and Sith. If so, how is Han still alive?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3138 on: October 20, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
I believe that it's supposed to be about the same as # of years since the ROTJ movie - about 30 years.  I'm kinda surprised the storyline involves a 'mythos' about Jedi and the events of the OT.  But hey, perhaps the history books didn't make it to all the galaxies far far away.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3139 on: October 20, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
Yep, 30 years later.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3140 on: October 20, 2015, 01:04:46 PM »
30 years doesn't sound like much until you try to think about different life was 30 years ago. I was born in the mid 80's (30 years ago) and there was no internet, no cell phones, etc. Try explaining to someone what it was like living without the internet to the newest generation. Pretty much impossible. The idea of the jedi falling into myth 30 years after return of the jedi is believable. They were pretty much a myth in Episode IV.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3141 on: October 20, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »
30 years doesn't sound like much until you try to think about different life was 30 years ago. I was born in the mid 80's (30 years ago) and there was no internet, no cell phones, etc. Try explaining to someone what it was like living without the internet to the newest generation. Pretty much impossible. The idea of the jedi falling into myth 30 years after return of the jedi is believable. They were pretty much a myth in Episode IV.

In 1985 I was about 7 years old. :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:53 PM »
If so, how is Han still alive?

have you seen Han? He's on his way out......... :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3143 on: October 20, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »

Ford is like 70 - odd.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3144 on: October 20, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:09:21 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3145 on: October 20, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »

Ford is like 70 - odd.

He's looking rough....just saying. He could be in great shape, who knows. But the dude looks 'weathered'.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3146 on: October 20, 2015, 01:28:04 PM »
It's funny that he's got this rep of being a grumpy old man but if you google him - almost every pic has him with a big grin on  :biggrin:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3147 on: October 20, 2015, 02:17:17 PM »
Welp, it's broken pre-sale records. No surprise there.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3148 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:52 PM »
I really liked the trailer, definitely did not show enough to spoil much but showed enough to tease and to excite.

I hope Kylo Ren is the Big Bad of the next few movies rather than being a one-off villain like Darth Maul.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3149 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:02 PM »
Someone combined all of the trailers into one. Very awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUswgEuRgVY