Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 456300 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #3290 on: December 01, 2015, 12:55:33 PM »
Thing is, it's only the ocassional line that is really bad - most of the dialogue is merely adequate and not great. With great acting, or great directing, the prequels might have been substantially better. It was the combination of the three that combine to make them quite weak. Though as I've said before, I like Episode III basically as much as IV and VI.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3291 on: December 01, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
from the few clips i've seen a lot of the acting seems to be like that. I saw a clip of samuel L jackson who is basically known for memorable performaces where he just sounds flat and bored. That sounds like bad direction to me. Maybe with a  better director and script Hayden would have been fine.

Yeah, I even mentioned to jingle.son how terrible Jackson was in TPM.  Some of those clips of Hayden weren't terrible, but most of them were.  I guess it's somewhat hard to put on a great performance when the dialog is absolute tripe.

That and the fact that so much of the sets and even characters were CGI.  A very good, very experienced actor with good guidance from a director can probably deliver under those circumstances.  An inexperienced actor like Hayden with probably very little useful guidance from Lucas would be fighting a losing battle trying to really bring even solid dialog to life.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3292 on: December 01, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
Thing is, it's only the ocassional line that is really bad - most of the dialogue is merely adequate and not great. With great acting, or great directing, the prequels might have been substantially better. It was the combination of the three that combine to make them quite weak. Though as I've said before, I like Episode III basically as much as IV and VI.

:iagree:
... for the most part.

Christiansen's acting was the worst part about III.  Everything else about ep III surpassed I and II by such a large margin, I think we're fooled into thinking it's as good as the OT movies.  It'll be interesting to compare when jingle.son and I watch the remainder of them.

That and the fact that so much of the sets and even characters were CGI.  A very good, very experienced actor with good guidance from a director can probably deliver under those circumstances.  An inexperienced actor like Hayden with probably very little useful guidance from Lucas would be fighting a losing battle trying to really bring even solid dialog to life.

Fair... but then what is Jackson's excuse for his atrocious performances?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3293 on: December 01, 2015, 01:25:15 PM »
Christiansen's acting was the worst part about III.  Everything else about ep III surpassed I and II by such a large margin, I think we're fooled into thinking it's as good as the OT movies.  It'll be interesting to compare when jingle.son and I watch the remainder of them.

Fair... but then what is Jackson's excuse for his atrocious performances?

I think we already said it.  You said poorly-written dialog.  I agree, but just add the other factors as well.  Yes, Jackson has a ton of experience.  But still would have been hamstrung by (in addition to poorly-written dialog) the lack of practical sets and lack of good direction from Lucas.  But in his case specifically, I will add one more factor as well, although this is likely going to be VERY controversial:  Although Jackson is a very experienced actor, I actually would not consider him a very good actor.  There was a time when I considered him to be stellar.  His performances in movies like 187, Die Hard II, and the one with Tommy Lee Jones that I can't remember the name of were fantastic.  But through the years, for every great role he has had, I have seen plenty of others where I thought his acting was just so-so or worse.  To me, he is VERY inconsistent and isn't one of those guys that can just step onscreen and deliver no matter what. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3294 on: December 01, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Maybe... but if he can deliver a line like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amYzBQMT4VI

surely he could've done better in SW?

And I don't remember him in Die Hard II.  Was he one of the token black terrorists that got killed?   :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3295 on: December 01, 2015, 03:33:30 PM »
Wait, was II the airport one?  If so, then I meant III.  The one in NYC where the lead baddie turned out to be the brother of the lead baddie from the first one, and they were planting fake bombs all over the city to lead MacLane and his unwilling partner on a wild goose chase around NYC while they stole the U.S. gold reserves.

And also:  Snakes.  On a plane.  Boom.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3296 on: December 01, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
That's the 3rd movie sir.  His name was Zeus.

Mother #%£^÷÷!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3297 on: December 01, 2015, 03:59:02 PM »
Wait, was II the airport one?  If so, then I meant III.  The one in NYC where the lead baddie turned out to be the brother of the lead baddie from the first one, and they were planting fake bombs all over the city to lead MacLane and his unwilling partner on a wild goose chase around NYC while they stole the U.S. gold reserves.

I know.

Sarcasm: One of us sucks at it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3298 on: December 01, 2015, 05:19:32 PM »
Star Wars related, in a twisted way.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3299 on: December 02, 2015, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3300 on: December 02, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
Those are awesome!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3301 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:19 PM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3302 on: December 02, 2015, 02:32:54 PM »
Those are awesome!

I lost it at "For Those About to Roll"   :rollin

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3303 on: December 03, 2015, 12:29:56 PM »
I just watched The Phantom Menace for the first time. Honestly it wasn't that bad......except for Jar Jar, He deserves to be thrown in a sarlacc pit. I always thought people were overreacting about how annoying he was but wow I was wrong. He somehow manages to bog down EVERY scene he appears in. I'm actually almost impressed by how annoying Lucas made him.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3304 on: December 03, 2015, 03:03:05 PM »
I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid a bit because of the 'lack' of Luke in the trailers....but I have a funny feeling his screen time is severely limited.....like it's a minute or two at the 'end' of the movie that will set up the next one. If the movie is 'good' I really don't care all that much.....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: December 03, 2015, 05:37:33 PM »
Really, I think the movie would be better off with all the old actors' screen time limited.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3306 on: December 03, 2015, 06:24:35 PM »
I don't know if I'm just getting paranoid a bit because of the 'lack' of Luke in the trailers....but I have a funny feeling his screen time is severely limited.....like it's a minute or two at the 'end' of the movie that will set up the next one. If the movie is 'good' I really don't care all that much.....

That has been my speculation for awhile now.  Maybe some voiceover parts earlier in the film, but no actual appearance until the end, and that being very short.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3307 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:28 PM »

That has been my speculation for awhile now.  Maybe some voiceover parts earlier in the film, but no actual appearance until the end, and that being very short.

Really, I think the movie would be better off with all the old actors' screen time limited.

I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing if he and the other 'old' characters are limited. It's smart for them to use the nostalgia to entice people back in to the movie and get them excited....especially after the debacle of the prequels......as long as the movie is good and done well and their parts and roles 'make sense' it's all good with me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3308 on: December 03, 2015, 08:35:59 PM »
Apparently their roles will be far lessened in the next movie. I heard they rewrote the script to include more of the old actors, probably to make the new trilogy feel more familiar and pass the torch before they move on, but the new actors are still very much the focus of the story.
As for Luke, there was that leaked photo of Luke in the robes. Apparently he's in seclusion and they're trying to find him, so I don't know how much screen time he'll get in this one.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: December 04, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »
Apparently their roles will be far lessened in the next movie. I heard they rewrote the script to include more of the old actors, probably to make the new trilogy feel more familiar and pass the torch before they move on, but the new actors are still very much the focus of the story.
As for Luke, there was that leaked photo of Luke in the robes. Apparently he's in seclusion and they're trying to find him, so I don't know how much screen time he'll get in this one.

Inb4 he's a force ghost in the final scene  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #3310 on: December 07, 2015, 10:02:51 AM »
Just watched Attack of the clones. Overall I thought it was better than the phantom menace. Some of the action scenes were awesome and I really enjoyed Obi Wans adventure in the movie. However my god the dialog is absolutely dreadful, Especially the "romantic" scenes. Were people just afraid to tell George that his writing sucks? Also it doesn't help that the majority of the acting is flat, with Hayden and Samuel L Jackson being the worst offenders IMO. Ewan McGregor, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid were really the only survivors here.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: December 07, 2015, 10:04:07 AM »
Ewen Macgregor is a great actor but his delivery on " He killed the younglings....no :| " has ZERO emotion.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: December 07, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
Star Trek Beyond trailer to debut with Star Wars The Force Awakens.

:o ;D :o ;D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »

Given the (unwarranted) rivalry between the two franchises, that should go down wonderfully. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3314 on: December 07, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
It's a great idea though. Bad Robot is making both so why not...

Plus Star Wars will be seen by hundreds of millions of people. I can't think of any bigger exposure for a movie.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3315 on: December 07, 2015, 10:28:39 AM »

Given the (unwarranted) rivalry between the two franchises, that should go down wonderfully. :lol

Honestly, I think most people that are in one fandom are in the other. My dad used to be obsessed with both.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: December 07, 2015, 10:29:52 AM »

Honestly, I think most people that are in one fandom are in the other. My dad used to be obsessed with both.

I don't know, Given how bigger and wider the appeal of Star Wars is, I'd say a lot of them don't like Trek, probably moreso because of the perceived rivalry between the two.
And just on principle alone, I see it getting booed.

(I say this as a hardcore Trekky all the way)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3317 on: December 07, 2015, 10:34:23 AM »
Watched Revenge on the weekend.  By far the best in the PT.  It still feels rushed.  They really needed more time to convince the audience of Anakin's turn.  He went from wanting to kill Palpatine and tattling on him, to joining him and committing genocide in one afternoon.  And the fact that the love story sucked made it hard to believe that was the reason he turned.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
I think the entire PT could have been one film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3319 on: December 07, 2015, 10:35:48 AM »

I have a friend who is a hardcore SW fan but he obviously hated TPM and LOVED Star Trek 2009.

I find it hilarious that Simon Pegg is well known for hating the prequels and doesn't even regard them as Star Wars.

And his character in Force Awakens has been revealed as a "junk dealer" - so he's basically this movie's Watto. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3320 on: December 07, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »

I have a friend who is a hardcore SW fan but he obviously hated TPM and LOVED Star Trek 2009.

That makes perfect sense, since JJ was trying to make a Star Wars film rather than a Star Trek film.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3321 on: December 07, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
Fine by me. It turned out to be the best ST film in ages.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3322 on: December 07, 2015, 11:09:57 AM »
Watched Revenge on the weekend.  By far the best in the PT.  It still feels rushed.  They really needed more time to convince the audience of Anakin's turn.  He went from wanting to kill Palpatine and tattling on him, to joining him and committing genocide in one afternoon.  And the fact that the love story sucked made it hard to believe that was the reason he turned.

Exactly.  Lucas had the bones of a really good story, but it just wasn't executed in a way that was even halfway convincing.  I think that, for his turn to be truly convincing, you needed a series of bigger tragedies that the Jedi must have been perceived by Anakin to have had a hand in.  For him to go so far as to want to utterly exterminate the Jedi, and even the children themselves, he had to have become convinced that they were truly evil and a threat to order in the universe.  Here is an example of how it the turning could have worked within the storyline Lucas created and could have been a lot more convincing:
-Ep. 1:  Anakin is actually more shocked and emotionally distraught when he learns that the Qui Gon and the Jedi are not there to free the slaves, including Anakin's mother, and he agrees to go with Qui Gon and Obi Wan only after an emotional confrontation with them where they convince him that he can do good as a jedi, but that it is not the jedis' purpose to upset the political order on Tatooine or anywhere else, despite that some practices go on that they may personally be against.  Anakin secretly vows to himself that he will someday free the slaves and come back for his mom once he is older and has more influence.
-Ep. 2:  Palpatine manipulates things such that the separatists bring the galaxy to the brink of war (which is basically what was going on anyway).  Anakin is against war and believes that the jedi and senate should be doing everything they can to prevent prolonged all-out war, even if, ironically, that means swift and decisive military action to squash the threats to peace.  The major conflict that begins the clone wars either occurs on Tatooine, killing many of the people Anakin grew up with, or on Naboo, killing people Padme is close to.  Anakin feels resentful toward the jedi and senate for (1) not preventing war, and (2) allowing people he cares about to be caught in the crossfire.  He also hates the separatists.  AND he is fearful that he will not be able to protect the ones he loves if he does not rise up and choose a different path for himself.  He reluctantly remains faithful to the jedi way, but these seeds of doubt and dark-side emotions are planted, and Palpatine manipulates them and feeds them behind the scenes.  Anakin vows that he WILL find a way to restore order, which includes freeing the slaves and rescuing his mom (who is still alive on Tatooine).
Ep. 3:  As war rages on, Anakin distinguishes himself as a great jedi warrior and ally of the republic, which is basically where he was at the beginning of the real ep. 3.  But he is conflicted, and is still being driven by the events in Ep. 2 and the horrors and suffering of war in general.  The turning happens a bit earlier in the movie.  The big event is some sort of conflict where Obi Wan is involved in a battle where Anakin's mother dies JUST as Anakin was finally in a position to go back and bring her away from Tatooine.  Anakin's grief and despair take over and he goes berserk and turns into an absolute rage monster, not only blaming Obi Wan and the jedi for not doing enough to establish peace and order, but perhaps actually fomenting war for some sort of political gain.  Padme advocates for the republic and the jedi, and Anakin becomes convinced that she is a traitor, and almost kills her.  She escapes, but he is convinced that she is dead.  Having lost everything, Anakin goes and confronts Obi Wan, and everything becomes twisted during the conversation (due to Palpatine manipulating things to create a misimpression in Anakin's mind), and Anakin is convinced that Obi Wan and the jedi are truly evil.  Gets burned in lava and becomes the Vader we all know, but not because of the stupid high ground issue.  All of these events, combined with the physical and emotional trauma he has just suffered, push the now deformed Anakin totally over the edge, and he now (in his mind, justifiably) believes the jedi and republic are enemies of peace and order, and vows to exterminate them.  Order 66 is initiated and Vader goes and purges the jedi temple as the black armor-clad vader.  Montage of events occurring over the next few months, which includes jedi being hunted down and killed; only Yoda and Obi Wan survive, and both go into hiding;  Padme survives a few months and delivers the children, and dies in childbirth because the damage inflicted by Vader months earlier injured her more than people realized, and childbirth physically does her in, but Vader knows nothing about this; Gratuitous death star construction scene; roll credits.

Yeah, that is a much darker story.  But the problem is, the creation/origin story of a villain as simultaneously complex, powerful, and evil as Vader really is supposed to be HAS TO be dark.  And this series of events (or one like it) at least gives a better motivation for the transformation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3323 on: December 07, 2015, 11:38:22 AM »
snip****But the problem is******snip

George Lucas is a horrible story teller and overthunk every one of the prequels.......he left massive plot holes in the original three that he was then forced to try and explain and i think it was out of sheer luck and that the audience was primed for something 'new' like Star Wars that it was as big as it was. I love Star Wars as much as the next guy....that was right in my age range.....but Lucas is a tard' who got extremely lucky because he had good effects people surrounding him and a cool universe to where the toys made Star Wars what it was. dude sucks at writing.....

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »
He caught lightning in a bottle with Episode IV.  Others made V and VI what they were, in spite of Lucas... not because of him.  Then, he completely controlled (and had the money to) the PT movies, and just did what he wanted.

@ Bosk... that's already a better screenplay for the PT than what Lucas delivered.