Poll

Is the media liberal? Yes or no?

Yes
16 (43.2%)
No
21 (56.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Is the media liberal?  (Read 30169 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Is the media liberal?
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Hey epicview, remember what I told you about arguing and backing up your positions?

Start doing that. It looks like you're trying to bait everyone arguing against you, and you can stop it by forming coherent and well thought responses

I have no idea what you are talking about? I have backed up every word... and have said if some one wants more back up Im more then willing to provide.

people are welcome to agree with me...so its really up to them?

once again, I cant be more confused ...

please quote what you pereive as is not coherent?
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »
Hey epicview, remember what I told you about arguing and backing up your positions?

Start doing that. It looks like you're trying to bait everyone arguing against you, and you can stop it by forming coherent and well thought responses

Back one day from a ban and we already have threads being derailed back into Odinga and Birth Certificates.
It really is discouraging and very counterproductive for good PR discussions.  
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2011, 05:33:46 PM »

I have no idea what you are talking about? I have backed up every word... and have said if some one wants more back up Im more then willing to provide.

people are welcome to agree with me...so its really up to them?

once again, I cant be more confused ...

please quote what you pereive as is not coherent?

I dont think anyone buys the "Im confused" bit anymore.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »

Back one day from a ban and we already have threads being derailed back into Odinga and Birth Certificates.

I have to agree with this...

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2011, 06:11:05 PM »

This is a point about liberal bias.. and from what I can tell I commented on the new birth certificate..
in ANOTHER thread..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
is the question directed just at media in the form of television, or others as well?

I wouldn't say the media as a whole are liberal, but most major networks broadcast from at least somewhat of a liberal point of view. (CNN slightly, MSNBC a little more so).

fox obviously is the exception, as they are undeniably a conservative station. i personally don't like bias towards either side, which is why i stick to the bbc. they're the most impartial i've found, at least in my opinion.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
This is a point about liberal bias.. and from what I can tell I commented on the new birth certificate..
in ANOTHER thread..
Actually, where media bias would come into play would be if they kept trying to perpetuate bullshit claims.  What your liberal media is doing is NOT reporting things that are clearly bogus.  First off, the claim is that they're cousins, not uncle/nephew, and that's been disputed by everybody.  Secondly, Odinga is by all accounts a fucking Christian.  Get your conspiracies straight.

The reason you're having issues with the posters here isn't because of what you think.  It isn't even because of how you express it.  It's because you've made it crystal clear that you're completely inflexible in your beliefs.  What you're engaging in here isn't debate.  It's a lecture on a topic that nobody buys into because it's thoroughly disproved.  Nobody wants to keep harping on Odinga or birth certificates once they realize that there's absolutely nothing to be gained by the discussion. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:35 PM »
It's a bummer when certain threads are rendered unreadable.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:31 PM »
It's a bummer when certain threads are rendered unreadable.

rumborak

I hear ya... such a pity, all the wasted pixels..oh the humanity..LOL. is it "unreadible? or is it beyond your knowledge"..hmmmmmmmmmmmm

please stay on subject and we can save the thread!!! LOL.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:53:54 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:30 PM »
my computer is gliching..

but whatever EB, Im in 4 threads here, I dont bother anyone in threads that are not my baliwick, If people dont like my convictions, then they should learn to be more understanding and just move on and leave me be..

but Im trying to stay on subject. I dont want to be the subject

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:49:10 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2011, 07:55:42 PM »

but whatever EB, Im in 4 threads here, I dont bother anyone in threads that are not my baliwick, If people dont like my convictions, then they should learn to be more understanding and just move on and leave me be..

but Im trying to stay on subject. I dont want to be the subject

The problem is that you want people to be more understanding of your convictions, and if not, leave you be....yet you by all accounts are completely unable to be understanding of convictions that run contrary to your own.

And you do try to stay on subject....your subject...and that subject is Obama = Devil.  The problem is every discussion you participate in here in PR ultimately goes there.

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

that's the thing, when you have given little to no effort in supporting your many easily-disprovable beliefs, you have given people very little reason to respect them.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2011, 10:43:08 PM »
Is this going to be a monthly occurrence?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »
Is this going to be a monthly occurrence?

The temptation to make a cheap one-liner here is almost irresistable...

Back to the topic. Here's a black prof on CNN calling Obama a white man in black skin; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIKpWR-fFP0

Hillbillary on CNN slamming Obama over Wright during the campaign; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWvyAxeSxQ

Here's a fun one that's about selective editing; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwbB02-rCVw

Enjoy...

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »

that's the thing, when you have given little to no effort in supporting your many easily-disprovable beliefs, you have given people very little reason to respect them.

Then tell me which ones you dont agree with?..and post your source to refute them since my views are so easy to disprove?... I know you cant.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:49:23 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
I'll show you my sources if you show me yours. My source is bigger than your source.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2011, 08:53:49 AM »
EV, you don't get to make posts like that when you wont' do the same thing

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2011, 08:57:13 AM »
EV, you don't get to make posts like that when you wont' do the same thing

again, I guess I should just do slapstick.. and cut on other people here.. that appears to be the way.

again..point to a thing I said that I have not given back up on? and again.. why is that you only seam to gravitate to me? I see people cutting on me or Tick " ( off topic Id assume)

if you want to be productive quote what I have said that is the issue??? quote it!!!  Im not a mind reader.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 09:08:39 AM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:35 AM »
So tick, can I take your tacit avoidance of this thread since my post as confirmation that you cede the point? Or what?

There are very very few true liberal view points expressed in the news. If the media is "liberal," it is so god damn moderate as to verge on being nothing. EV makes a point about it's what the media doesn't report, which is exactly my point. The media doesn't report the liberal agenda, or something like that. Where are the big stories about ending the foreign wars? That's quite a liberal thing. Where are the big stories about changing our energy us to something more efficient? That gets very little news, and to what extent you hear about it, it mostly talks about it "destroying jobs," or something else unsubstantiated and easily disprovable. As a liberal, I can tell you, if I wanted to make a liberal media, and make it biased, it wouldn't be close to the crapfest we have now.

I mena, there's really no journalism left in the media, that's one large problem. It's all zeitgeist and tabloidal gossip. OMG Weiner showed his Weiner! Let's ignore the current sitting Republicans who had sex scandals, and broke the law.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #229 on: June 15, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »

Then tell me which ones you dont agree with?..and post your source to refute them since my views are so easy to disprove?... I know you cant.

The thing is that you're often the accuser in your posts, so the burden of proof is on you.

then again you're going to completely disregard this so why even bother. have a great life dude.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #230 on: June 15, 2011, 05:40:08 PM »
So tick, can I take your tacit avoidance of this thread since my post as confirmation that you cede the point? Or what?

There are very very few true liberal view points expressed in the news. If the media is "liberal," it is so god damn moderate as to verge on being nothing. EV makes a point about it's what the media doesn't report, which is exactly my point. The media doesn't report the liberal agenda, or something like that. Where are the big stories about ending the foreign wars? That's quite a liberal thing. Where are the big stories about changing our energy us to something more efficient? That gets very little news, and to what extent you hear about it, it mostly talks about it "destroying jobs," or something else unsubstantiated and easily disprovable. As a liberal, I can tell you, if I wanted to make a liberal media, and make it biased, it wouldn't be close to the crapfest we have now.

I mena, there's really no journalism left in the media, that's one large problem. It's all zeitgeist and tabloidal gossip. OMG Weiner showed his Weiner! Let's ignore the current sitting Republicans who had sex scandals, and broke the law.
Say what? Did I miss something? Did you fulfill my request?
No?
Ok, bye.

Actually I'm just breaking your balls. That was great hearing Olbermann baste Obama. Wish he had done that kind of shit when Obama was running.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:53:21 PM by tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #231 on: June 15, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
He was probably far too occupied dealing with the insanity that was McCain/Palin. McCain's campaign was horrible, it switched messages constantly, and often at the ignorance of facts.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #232 on: June 15, 2011, 10:32:51 PM »

Say what? Did I miss something? Did you fulfill my request?
No?
Ok, bye.

Actually I'm just breaking your balls. That was great hearing Olbermann baste Obama. Wish he had done that kind of shit when Obama was running.

Two of the clips I posted were from the time of the '08 campaign. So, I posted proof of what you were asking for from him.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #233 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:57 PM »
That's bull, Quad. Obama sat in that pastors church for 20 years. I had the same pastor for many years and he was a quality man. Certainly a godly man.

And just because you had a good pastor doesn't mean that you are a good Christian. It goes both ways. Regardless of whether or not Obama was at the church, his pastor's attitude, views or sermons reflect absolutely nothing on him. Nothing at all. The same way that your pastors attitude, views or sermons don't reflect on you.

Surely Obama should have been aware of who Wright is after all that time?
Sometimes its just futile to even bother.
I'm not going to continue to argue a point that clearly you think is meaningless, but it sure isn't.

Again, I went to a church for a while (with the friend I mentioned earlier) and their pastor is very anti-gay people. I eventually left the church but it doesn't mean that the pastor's views reflect me at all. What is so difficult to grasp about this? Do you really think that listening to someone speak magically makes you responsible for what they are, do or say?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #234 on: June 15, 2011, 11:15:01 PM »
That's bull, Quad. Obama sat in that pastors church for 20 years. I had the same pastor for many years and he was a quality man. Certainly a godly man.

And just because you had a good pastor doesn't mean that you are a good Christian. It goes both ways. Regardless of whether or not Obama was at the church, his pastor's attitude, views or sermons reflect absolutely nothing on him. Nothing at all. The same way that your pastors attitude, views or sermons don't reflect on you.

On top of that, I wasn't aware that a person is static for 20 years. The Wright Obama met and started going to church with is not the same Wright we all became acquainted with thanks to Fox News.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 15, 2011, 11:55:52 PM »
The media is very conservative, corporatist, and status-quo. Both US political parties are conservative. This thread's example, Rev. Wright, and the fact that he was tarred and feathered by the media and both political parties including Obama eventually, is really all the proof you need.

Sadly, it's still the best media in the world.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #236 on: June 16, 2011, 03:59:21 AM »
The media is very conservative, corporatist, and status-quo. Both US political parties are conservative. This thread's example, Rev. Wright, and the fact that he was tarred and feathered by the media and both political parties including Obama eventually, is really all the proof you need.

Sadly, it's still the best media in the world.

How are you defining conservative?

And how is Rev. Wright an example of that?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #237 on: June 16, 2011, 05:52:53 AM »

On top of that, I wasn't aware that a person is static for 20 years. The Wright Obama met and started going to church with is not the same Wright we all became acquainted with thanks to Fox News.
So? Fox hates Obama so they bring this stuff up. The bottom line is, they don't create stuff that doesn't exist.

Surely Obama should have been aware of who Wright is after all that time?
Sometimes its just futile to even bother.
I'm not going to continue to argue a point that clearly you think is meaningless, but it sure isn't.

Again, I went to a church for a while (with the friend I mentioned earlier) and their pastor is very anti-gay people. I eventually left the church but it doesn't mean that the pastor's views reflect me at all. What is so difficult to grasp about this? Do you really think that listening to someone speak magically makes you responsible for what they are, do or say?
In my opinion, you are who you surround yourself with.
No, sitting under a good pastor does not make me a good person, but it helps, in my opinion.
If you surround yourself with quality people you will have a better shot at being a quality person, in my opinion.
If you surround yourself with drug addicts, their is a good chance you will start doing drugs, in all likelihood.

I would just like to know why Obama thought this guy was worthy of sitting under for 20 years? I guess to most here it doesn't matter. I get it. Don't want to beat that horse anymore, he's had enough.

The reason I am wearing thin of the politics religion section of the board is because I'm never going to see eye to eye on issues with people whose views are polar opposite. Its futile and a waste of time. Your never going to change someones mind no matter how hard you try.

That being said, I'd be willing to bet if we all hung out at a show we would laugh about it and have a good time.

Its cool.

Regardless of everything he is, Obama hasn't solved much as far as our countries economy. That task is probably too daunting for any president right now.

Peace.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:09:54 AM by tick »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »
What has Reverend Wright said that's earned him such a toxic reputation in the media and minds of mainstream America?

"Damn America?"

Considering the treatment colored people have undergone in the history of this country, and considering the continued problems they face (which will get now worse because, since the president is half black, I guess that means blacks are equal now and nothing is keeping them down in society and we can ignore the problem now amiright?) I think the powers that be are pretty damn lucky that n liberation theology preacher ranting "damn america" is the worst thing they can dig up.

Reverend Wright's tradition of preaching is a uniquely American one, and it's a valuable one. And, frankly, anyone who dares to openly question the government's fairness toward their own community is a valuable member of a free society. But I guess since his point of view is offensive to most American's latent sense of nationalism, he gets lampooned in the public sphere. Voices which genuinely go against the grain should be valued in a free society, but instead they get shut out by people who don't care about or understand them.

We get what we ask for, I supposed. I just wish everyone would think about whether the president or any of the GOP contenders reflect their actual views about how America should be run. The answer is probably no. So, just remember, mainstream Americans who repeatedly shun radical viewpoints are the same people who are responsible for things like the atrocious echo-chamber that this week's GOP debate was. Everyone would do well to remember that whilst choosing between Mitt Romney, Tim Pawlenty and Newt Ginrich in the primary.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: June 16, 2011, 07:23:01 AM »
What has Reverend Wright said that's earned him such a toxic reputation in the media and minds of mainstream America?

"Damn America?"

Considering the treatment colored people have undergone in the history of this country, and considering the continued problems they face (which will get now worse because, since the president is half black, I guess that means blacks are equal now and nothing is keeping them down in society and we can ignore the problem now amiright?) I think the powers that be are pretty damn lucky that n liberation theology preacher ranting "damn america" is the worst thing they can dig up.

Reverend Wright's tradition of preaching is a uniquely American one, and it's a valuable one. And, frankly, anyone who dares to openly question the government's fairness toward their own community is a valuable member of a free society. But I guess since his point of view is offensive to most American's latent sense of nationalism, he gets lampooned in the public sphere. Voices which genuinely go against the grain should be valued in a free society, but instead they get shut out by people who don't care about or understand them.

Bet you don't share that same sentiment about Born Again Christians and their rights and views. Just a hunch.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 16, 2011, 08:54:32 AM »
Bet you don't share that same sentiment about Born Again Christians and their rights and views. Just a hunch.

Wrong.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #241 on: June 16, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »

So? Fox hates Obama so they bring this stuff up. The bottom line is, they don't create stuff that doesn't exist.

Actually, fox news does create stuff that doesn't exist, they do it on a daily basis. The most recent event I can think of is the faux outrage over Common going to the white house. A bunch of white people on Fox News got riled up over a rapper going to the white house, completely misunderstood and distorted his lyrics, his motives, etc, all to make it sound as if Obama was a gangster or something. It was suspiciously racist - especially when the same outrage wasn't incited over white singers singing just as bad of stuff and visiting the white house.

There's also the doctored photos.

https://mediamatters.org/research/200807020002

And this is just the tip of the iceberg. Whenever a republican get's in trouble, Fox News has a "mess up," and during the news conference, puts a D instead of an R for the politicians party. I could go on and on and on, but the idea that Fox News doesn't distort the truth in a big way is demonstrably false.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #242 on: June 16, 2011, 11:47:25 AM »

"Damn America?"

More importantly, the "God Damn America" part was specifically about 9/11, and how we basically asked for 9/11 by having the foreign policy we have. It was the "roosters coming home to nest." He was basically saying we deserved 9/11 to happen, because we were being un Christian like, creating war, and dominating a region. He was pretty much saying the exact same thing as Ron Paul says. More colorful and fitting language perhaps, but the message is the same.

Why doesn't Ron Paul get attacked like Rev. Wright? Because Ron Paul is white, and Rev. Wright is black. (Btw, I use the "race card" a lot, but I'm a white man who grew up in Montana, so that should say something about my predisposition to spotting this sort of thing).

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #243 on: June 16, 2011, 11:56:16 AM »
More importantly, the "God Damn America" part was specifically about 9/11, and how we basically asked for 9/11 by having the foreign policy we have. It was the "roosters coming home to nest." He was basically saying we deserved 9/11 to happen, because we were being un Christian like, creating war, and dominating a region. He was pretty much saying the exact same thing as Ron Paul says. More colorful and fitting language perhaps, but the message is the same.
And that's actually pretty tame compared to Pat Robertson.  In Wright's case, there's some potential merit to his words.  Robertson is just bat-shit insane. 

And wow on those pictures.

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #244 on: June 16, 2011, 12:05:05 PM »
Good point, I forget bout McCain and Pat Robertson and the other pastors he associated with. If we wanted to associate peole along those lines, McCain tink's 9/11 happened because we're somewhat tolerant towards gays in our society, and that Katrina happened because of gay people in NO.