Poll

Is the media liberal? Yes or no?

Yes
16 (43.2%)
No
21 (56.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Is the media liberal?  (Read 29889 times)

Offline Scheavo

Is the media liberal?
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:11:10 AM »
Simple question. Discussion relating to why or why not.

I say no. As a liberal, I rarely see true liberal stories, and in fact see much more pandering to moderates, conservatives and the status quo then anything liberal. Could it have been? Sure, but I think Fox News has done enough in this country to completely change the dynamics of much of the media into (basically) right wing propaganda.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Is the media liberal?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:16:11 AM »
It depends on who's broadcasting what.  You can't really say the entire media community is liberal.  You've got your CNNs, your NPRs, and your NY Times as well as your Foxes, your EIBs, and your Wall Street Journals. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:26:27 AM »
Considering that most of the media I focus on is about the middle east, id say no. Not sure how american media looks though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:09 AM »
Yes...EXTREMELY!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »
As a whole? No.

And actually, as far as news reporting goes, they're all pretty neutral. Where you get bias is from the commentators; Glenn Beck and the like. They don't report the news, they give their take on it. Even FOX, on raw news reporting, is pretty neutral.

Yes...EXTREMELY!

OP asks why or why not. Why do you think it is?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
I suspect this is going to be divided into the no camp and the fox viewers.  

Personally, I'd say that the media covers a large spectrum.  There are plenty on both sides of the fulcrum, and outlets on both sides often report fairly neutrally.  So it'd be fair to say that there is some liberal media and some conservative media,  but all in all, I'd say they balance out pretty evenly.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:36:13 AM »
And actually, as far as news reporting goes, they're all pretty neutral. Where you get bias is from the commentators; Glenn Beck and the like. They don't report the news, they give their take on it. Even FOX, on raw news reporting, is pretty neutral.

Yeah, this is a point I think a lot of people forget.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
I disagree. As PC and I discussed in the chat thread last week, their actual news reporting isn't much better.  There's often a bias in what you choose to [or not to] report.  And their headlines are often quite sensationalized, as well. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 11:54:06 AM »
Shocking, the liberal posters say no, the conservative posters say yes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 11:58:00 AM »
And the moderates say it varies!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »

Personally, I'd say that the media covers a large spectrum.  There are plenty on both sides of the fulcrum, and outlets on both sides often report fairly neutrally.  So it'd be fair to say that there is some liberal media and some conservative media,  but all in all, I'd say they balance out pretty evenly.  
Why don't at least be fair when mentioning the Conservative slant of Fox news. You don't want to add that msnbc is completely liberal?
Seriously, you want to tell me Chris Mathews is unbiased?
How about Katey Couric at CBS. You want to tell me she is unbiased as well?
How about ABC news. There not liberal?

Please folks, lets keep it real huh?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »
He did mention that there's plenty of bias on the other side.  He didn't name any networks specifically, but he didn't say anything that suggested he ignored liberal bias.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 12:07:28 PM »
As a whole? No.

Yes...EXTREMELY!

Fox is most certainly bias in there reporting. I don't think that makes them liars but they certainly are always going to cater to there viewers just as msnbc does, and goof balls like Bill Maher on HBO. You understand your demographic and you try to appeal to it.
I think a guy like Jon Stewart is actually quite fair in his comedic approach to politics, where as Maher is a fool.
Every network has there own slant. They are generally taking one side or the other.
Most news is not fair and balanced, its very liberal.
Tell me a news outlet besides Fox that isn't in the tank for the president?
Luckily there is a Fox news or the brainwashing of America would be complete.

Online Adami

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 12:09:23 PM »
Aside from the last 2 sentences, that was a very good post tick. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 12:12:37 PM »
Aside from the last 2 sentences, that was a very good post tick. :)
Well, if you approved of any of it, its more then I usually get.
I'll take it! :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
As a whole? No.

Yes...EXTREMELY!

Fox is most certainly bias in there reporting. I don't think that makes them liars but they certainly are always going to cater to there viewers just as msnbc does, and goof balls like Bill Maher on HBO. You understand your demographic and you try to appeal to it.
I think a guy like Jon Stewart is actually quite fair in his comedic approach to politics, where as Maher is a fool.
Every network has there own slant. They are generally taking one side or the other.

You have proved your point quite convincingly. :lol  Seriously though, besides the last two sentences it was a pretty good post with nothing really wrong about it.  I liked the comedian point.  Maher always came off as mean-spirited to me, while Jon Stewart goes after both sides (though usually after conservative presenters because its almost too easy) but he never does it maliciously.  

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2011, 12:26:33 PM »
Why when the word media comes up no one talks about anything besides the News Media?  Media, in general, is liberal.  Look at music.  For the most part music has always been more on the liberal side of things.  It is always pushing boundaries and questioning the status quo.  Same thing with art.  Art is very liberal and art is media.  Television shows often put in liberal ideas within the show.  Look at the show Weeds. 

So yes it is safe to say that in general the Media is more on the liberal side.  There is also conservative media, but the majority of media slants to the liberal side.  This does not make media a Democrat.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »
I thought it was understood that when we're talking about "media" in this sense, we're talking about news media.  NPR, EIB, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, WSJ, NYT, Acronyms Inc, etc.  Yes, art is a form of media, but its not really relevant in this context.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:30:04 PM »
I don't think "the media" gives a crap about political affiliations.  Sure individual "newscasters" have their own biases, they are just American people like you and me after all, but "the media" as a whole is probablly only concerned about money, ratings, etc.  It kind of ties into the politics=sports analogy I made in the Obama thread.  When a group they support fails, people like to blame it on some higher-up conspiracy.  "The liberal media is in the tank for Obama."  "(My team) never had a chance, the refs were in the tank cuz the league wants (the opposing team) to win."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 12:33:29 PM »
I thought it was understood that when we're talking about "media" in this sense, we're talking about news media.  NPR, EIB, Fox, CNN, MSNBC, WSJ, NYT, Acronyms Inc, etc.  Yes, art is a form of media, but its not really relevant in this context.

Well the thread title asks is the media liberal.  Media is not the same thing as news media.  So I think I answered the question pretty well.  If you want to talk news media, why bother.  It just depends on what station you are in on.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
Context still should have clued you in that the conversation has been about the news since the OP.  :P

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 12:37:52 PM »

Why don't at least be fair when mentioning the Conservative slant of Fox news. You don't want to add that msnbc is completely liberal?

WTF?  Not only did I suggest an equal amount of liberal bias, I also suggested that the conservative side was often impartial.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »
Context still should have clued you in that the conversation has been about the news since the OP.  :P

Read my first sentence questioning why everyone just jumps straight to news media and does not talk about any other kind of media.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 12:45:30 PM »
The thing is, for me I try to keep my ears open and listen to all sides of any argument. In the end ultimately you will be on one side or the other. In all due respect to Epicview, who I actually like, I don't think he is willing to listen to the other side. His mind is made up.
That's not a good place to be for anyone, and I would encourage people who think conservatives are a complete joke to at least always listen with an open mind because all our futures are at stake.

I used to have an "I HATE OBAMA!" attitude but have learned to soften my stance and take every issue on a case by case basis rather then let my disdain for him impair for ability to keep an open mind.
Its an Epiphany I had recently.
I actually find myself feeling sorry for the man and the hand he has been dealt. There are no easy solutions to America's problems so its easy to make a wrong call when you have no idea if something will work. I believe in his heart, he has America's best interest in his decisions.
Its like watching a sporting event where you feel the manager should have went to the bullpen one batter earlier rather then leave the pitcher in who gives up a homerun costing his team a victory.
hindsight is always 20/20.
The bottom line in the media is certainly more liberal then conservative. I know this by watching various news sources instead of being in a comfortable bubble that feeds me what I want to hear.
I want to hear it all. My future is in jeopardy just as much as those who oppose my views, and I wish us all well in the end.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:07 PM »
I wish us all well in the end.

And that's what it its all about anyways right?  People get so wrapped up in the liberal/conservative fight that they forget to listen to each other's ideas and fail to realize we are all on the same team trying to get to the same ends most of the time.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
Media as a whole - No. But there isn't a broadcast out there that only states facts without some kind of slant. That wouldn't be very entertaining.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 01:06:15 PM »

WTF?  Not only did I suggest an equal amount of liberal bias, I also suggested that the conservative side was often impartial.
I guess I misinterpreted you because I thought you were saying the media is equally yolked? I think that is far from the case.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 01:26:52 PM »
I rarely watch TV, especially for news, but from my observation, Fox and MSNBC aside, I'd say the media is pretty status quo/establishmentarian. I think the OP is pretty accurate.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 01:27:49 PM »

Personally, I'd say that the media covers a large spectrum.  There are plenty on both sides of the fulcrum, and outlets on both sides often report fairly neutrally.  So it'd be fair to say that there is some liberal media and some conservative media,  but all in all, I'd say they balance out pretty evenly. 

I guess I misinterpreted you because I thought you were saying the media is equally yolked? I think that is far from the case.

I don't know what Yolked means, but I did say that I think they balance out pretty evenly.  If you were to put all of the outlets on a seesaw, I suspect that it'd stay pretty balanced.
E.F. Benson

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 01:32:11 PM »

Personally, I'd say that the media covers a large spectrum.  There are plenty on both sides of the fulcrum, and outlets on both sides often report fairly neutrally.  So it'd be fair to say that there is some liberal media and some conservative media,  but all in all, I'd say they balance out pretty evenly. 

I don't know what Yolked means, but I did say that I think they balance out pretty evenly.  If you were to put all of the outlets on a seesaw, I suspect that it'd stay pretty balanced.

That actually makes the most sense....especially from a business point of view.  As the country is essentially split politically, so will the businesses that serve the public be split.  it just doesnt make sense to have the media be extremely slanted to one ideology unless the population is slanted to that degree.  It just doesnt pass the common sense test that the media is so biased one way or the other.  Individual outlets for sure....but not as a whole.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Online Adami

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

I don't know what Yolked means,

According to urban dictionary, it means having large muscles.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »
To add to my post, the media's job is to make us wonder, "Who would you rather have as President? Mitt Romney or Hillary Clinton?"  :justjen

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:08 PM »
As a whole? No.

Yes...EXTREMELY!

Well, I think Fox does take it a leap farther than other news organization. To equivocate Fox with MSNBC is true in some ways, but ignores the methods Fox employs.

More people need to watch the Daily Show, especially Fox viewers. I wish I could somehow force the Daily Show to air at like 8pm on Fox News.

See, I just don't get this. The stories that are covered, how they are covered, etc, is not liberal. I say this as a liberal who follows the news, and am often angered at how little coverage liberal issues actually get. If you follow the social dialogue that occurs in this country, that entire discussion is not a liberal discussion. The stories which are covered, how the discussion progresses, etc, are not liberal - meaning, what people take away from the media is not a liberal slant.

What do you mean "in the tank for"? Liberals have attacked Obama for many things he done, an rightfully so, and they've done it on MSNBC. I remember a "special comment' by Keith Olbermann aimed directly at Obama. Liberals aren't afraid to criticize Obama, whereas Fox News like never criticizes a Republican.

Fox News does way more brainwashing then any other news source. It's inception was to "combat" the "liberal media," which makes it inherently more biased then a media which is biased due to the nature of existence. I recommend watching "Out Foxed" sometime, I think its on Netflix.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2011, 02:40:37 PM »

I don't know what Yolked means,

According to urban dictionary, it means having large muscles.
It means unbalanced.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
Equally Yolked

A Christian dating service

Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29