Poll

Is the media liberal? Yes or no?

Yes
16 (43.2%)
No
21 (56.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Is the media liberal?  (Read 29886 times)

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Re: Is the media liberal?
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »
Can't speak for the US, but there is definitely a right wing editorial bias in the media in england, by and large.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2011, 09:53:24 AM »
I think if anything, the media reflects the interests of the power structure that controls it.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2011, 12:50:25 PM »
"The Media" isn't anything.  The only people who think "the media" is liberal are conservatives who don't see the things they think are important discussed all the time in "the media."
Surveys of journalists’ self-reported voting habits show them backing the Democratic candidate in every presidential election since 1964, including landslide losers George McGovern, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis. In 2004, a poll conducted by the University of Connecticut found journalists backed John Kerry over George W. Bush by a greater than two-to-one margin. I find it hard to believe with statistics like these, their isn't liberal bias?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
First, just out of curiosity, did they establish if FOX sought to hire GOP leaning newscasters?

Second, all that means precisely nothing.  The quality that makes one a good journalist is the ability to set personal opinions aside.  Cronkite could have voted exclusively for transgendered communists, but nobody would have cared because his reporting was sincere.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2011, 05:46:22 PM »
First, just out of curiosity, did they establish if FOX sought to hire GOP leaning newscasters?

Second, all that means precisely nothing.  The quality that makes one a good journalist is the ability to set personal opinions aside.  Cronkite could have voted exclusively for transgendered communists, but nobody would have cared because his reporting was sincere.
You forgot to add, "in my opinion"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2011, 05:50:31 PM »

To which part?  Are you implying that Cronkite sucked or that good journalists don't keep their personal opinions out of their reporting?  I didn't figure that either point needed qualification. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2011, 05:55:30 PM »

To which part?  Are you implying that Cronkite sucked or that good journalists don't keep their personal opinions out of their reporting?  I didn't figure that either point needed qualification. 
No, Cronkite did not suck. I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run.  Thinks that's untrue? If so, there is not more I can say because the media was a joke during that election. Fact.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2011, 05:58:39 PM »
I can't really make much of a comment tick, so I don't pay much attention to American politics or how the media reports them, but the only real attacks I heard about Obama during his run were the whole birth certificate thing, and being a muslim terrorist.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »

No, Cronkite did not suck. I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run.  Thinks that's untrue? If so, there is not more I can say because the media was a joke during that election. Fact.

What do you think they were protecting him from? What legitimate attacks were there?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:57 AM »
the media is definitely liberal and doesn't appeal to conservatives like me who just want to live a good, christian life with jesus in my heart and the gays oppressed as god intended

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2011, 01:30:50 AM »
Yeah, we never heard about Rev. Wright, his middle name and about his birth certificate over and over again until it became a blurr in the back ground noise from the "mainstream media". Death panels, bowing too low to the Japanese Emporer and not putting his hand over his heart during the pledge are just a few more things we don't know about because of that evil liberal media. They sure did protect him didn't they?

Those are just a few off the top of my head. I'm sure that if I spent any time thinking about it I'd easily be able to come up with some more.

/voted Perot in the 90's
/support Paul now
/never voted a straight republican or democratic ticket
/can't believe some of the shit people fool themselves into believing
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2011, 04:37:31 AM »
I think if anything, the media reflects the interests of the power structure that controls it.

Well, I guess the question then is - what's the power structure?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »
I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run.  Thinks that's untrue? If so, there is not more I can say because the media was a joke during that election. Fact.
Not a fact.  He didn't get "protected" at all.  It's just that most of the shit stirred up against was stupid.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2011, 06:16:29 AM »
the media is definitely liberal and doesn't appeal to conservatives like me who just want to live a good, christian life with jesus in my heart and the gays oppressed as god intended

You have a phobia of God, and a mocking spirit.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run. 

Not entirely true, but most of the "attacks" were silly and irrelevant anyway, and deserved protecting from an unbiased standpoint. 

Fact.

Opinion.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »
I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run.  Thinks that's untrue? If so, there is not more I can say because the media was a joke during that election. Fact.
Not a fact.  He didn't get "protected" at all.  It's just that most of the shit stirred up against was stupid.
Please. If he was a Republican, there would have been the biggest shit storm of all time against him. Look at what the media did to Palin. You really don't think they could have done the same thing to Obama? They certainly had plenty of ammo they chose not to use. They didn't. If Sarah Palin had associates like Bill Ayers or communist like Frank Davis, she would have been nailed to a cross.
This forum is filled with mostly liberal minded folks so I'm getting the expected reaction, and nothing I could say will change that.
Watch the movie, media malpractice.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2011, 06:28:56 AM »
I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run. 

Not entirely true, but most of the "attacks" were silly and irrelevant anyway, and deserved protecting from an unbiased standpoint. 

Fact.

Opinion.
So your conceding its mostly true?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2011, 06:47:52 AM »
No I'm not.  The "not entirely true" was referring to your saying that Obama was protected from "any and all attacks", and as I explained, when the media was on his side against an attack, it was generally because of how frivolous it was.  Maybe my wording was wrong or something. 

So, you really consider Frank Davis or Bill Ayers "ammo"?  In my opinion those are exactly the kind of things that get made into a big deal when they aren't.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2011, 07:39:58 AM »
No I'm not.  The "not entirely true" was referring to your saying that Obama was protected from "any and all attacks", and as I explained, when the media was on his side against an attack, it was generally because of how frivolous it was.  Maybe my wording was wrong or something. 

So, you really consider Frank Davis or Bill Ayers "ammo"?  In my opinion those are exactly the kind of things that get made into a big deal when they aren't.

Bill Ayers as an associate of Palin. Honest answer. What would the media have done with that one?
Do you really consider the stuff the media drummed up against Palin ammo? Your not being fair, because saying you can see Russia from the part of Alaska she was in didn't make her the dumb ass they claimed she was.
There is such a double standard, and your part of the people who make it so.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2011, 08:42:33 AM »
Sarah Palin can only blame herself with how she was treated in the media. That's not even debatable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2011, 08:53:50 AM »
tick, Palin produced one gaffe after the other right after nomination for VP. She clearly had no idea about international politics back then, but tried to convince the world otherwise, with hilarious results. I do not understand why conservatives don't drop the woman immediately. She does more harm to your cause than anybody else.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ClairvoyantCat

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2011, 08:58:57 AM »
Yeah, having a few questionable personal associations certainly doesn't amount to a number of ridiculous political blunders.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2011, 09:22:49 AM »

Well Tick, I don't know if you know this, but a while ago I invited a little someone named Jesus to live in my heart, so exactly which one of us are you saying that to?

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2011, 09:51:27 AM »
I'm implying the media is liberal in there views in general and they proved it by protecting Obama from any and all attacks during his run.  Thinks that's untrue? If so, there is not more I can say because the media was a joke during that election. Fact.
Not a fact.  He didn't get "protected" at all.  It's just that most of the shit stirred up against was stupid.
Please. If he was a Republican, there would have been the biggest shit storm of all time against him. Look at what the media did to Palin. You really don't think they could have done the same thing to Obama? They certainly had plenty of ammo they chose not to use. They didn't. If Sarah Palin had associates like Bill Ayers or communist like Frank Davis, she would have been nailed to a cross.
This forum is filled with mostly liberal minded folks so I'm getting the expected reaction, and nothing I could say will change that.

Sarah Palin has some "sketchy" associated of her own, ya know. Do some research.

And considering Sarah Palin can be quoted verbatim, and have it be a comedy sketch, I don't think any comparison is possible.

Watch the move, "out foxed."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:28:44 AM by Scheavo »

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2011, 10:27:58 AM »

Well Tick, I don't know if you know this, but a while ago I invited a little someone named Jesus to live in my heart, so exactly which one of us are you saying that to?
I made the statement to you. You feeling that mocking Christianity with snide condescending remarks is a good testament to the body of Christ? Glad you accepted Jesus though.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2011, 10:29:54 AM »

Well, I guess the question then is - what's the power structure?
The giant corporations that own our news sources

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »

Sarah Palin has some "sketchy" associated of her own, ya know. Do some research.

And considering Sarah Palin can be quoted ver batum, and have it be a comedy sketch, I don't think any comparison is possible.

Watch the move, "out foxed."
I will certainly try and acquire a copy. I always want to hear both sides.
I hope you watched the movie I mentioned. Its got a lot of good stuff in it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2011, 11:00:28 AM »
Hey Tick.  Do you really think that Katie Couric treated her unfairly?  Asked loaded questions?  Sought to make her look foolish?  She lobbed softballs at her and Palin's replies were weak and insipid.  And lets not forget that Palin had some corruption issues of her own that never got pressed. 
E.F. Benson

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2011, 11:01:38 AM »
tick, Palin produced one gaffe after the other right after nomination for VP. She clearly had no idea about international politics back then, but tried to convince the world otherwise, with hilarious results. I do not understand why conservatives don't drop the woman immediately. She does more harm to your cause than anybody else.

rumborak

1,000 times this. There wasn't even a need to dig up any dirt on her because we're talking about a woman that couldn't even name a single newspaper when prompted.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2011, 11:19:41 AM »
Is tick the new EV?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #100 on: June 12, 2011, 11:22:57 AM »
No.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: June 12, 2011, 11:28:40 AM »
I hate Sarah Palin because every time I mention my conservatism I get loudmouth replies like "You want that stupid tea partybag woman as president??/????/ lololololol" before I get to explain that the GOP is not how conservatives should actually be and that I'm pretty dang moderate. :P

Offline j

« Reply #102 on: June 12, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
I don't know about "defending Obama", but to be fair to tick, I seem to recall MSNBC pretty much fellating him all the way into office.  And I certainly have no allegiance to either party over the other.

By the same token, I think Fox was trying to usher things in the opposite direction.  Of course both of those things were hardly unexpected.

And Sarah Palin, God bless her, is a complete imbecile.  I wish her the best, far away from a position of power in this country.

-J

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: June 12, 2011, 11:33:18 AM »
Is tick the new EV?
Why, because my view is a minority one? Should I just agree with everyone here, or not post at all?
Do I disrespect you or anyone else?

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 12, 2011, 11:37:57 AM »
I hate Sarah Palin because every time I mention my conservatism I get loudmouth replies like "You want that stupid tea partybag woman as president??/????/ lololololol" before I get to explain that the GOP is not how conservatives should actually be and that I'm pretty dang moderate. :P
For the record, I never said I wanted Sarah Palin to be president. I said the media had a different standard for her then they did towards Obama.
That's how I feel.